Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2013/2014

faithVA

Last night I did a roller-set on dry hair and then used my Splitender to dust my ends. It was much easier this time than last. And my ends are starting to feel much better. I only have a few sections where the ends still are a bit crazy. Hopefully with my next dusting in 6 to 8 weeks I will take care of those. In the meantime I will continue to search and destroy.

Hopefully with the improvement in my ends my roller-sets will get better and will last a bit longer.

Angel of the North

So I used my komaza aloe my hair moisturising hair cream and I have to say I may have found my HG moisturiser! It's creamy but light and a little goes a long way, my hair has felt moisturised all week and my ends are soft. I'm really happy with it but I'm going to stick it in the fridge and use up my other moisturisers and return to komaza after my next TU. I have a sample of darcy's botanical soya bean hair whip and there a couple of hairveda moisturisers that I want to try and I should be good.

faithVA

So I used my komaza aloe my hair moisturising hair cream and I have to say I may have found my HG moisturiser! It's creamy but light and a little goes a long way, my hair has felt moisturised all week and my ends are soft. I'm really happy with it but I'm going to stick it in the fridge and use up my other moisturisers and return to komaza after my next TU. I have a sample of darcy's botanical soya bean hair whip and there a couple of hairveda moisturisers that I want to try and I should be good.

Nice! I know it feels good to find just the right product :yep:

Mskraizy

3 more days til it's time to trim//dust my ends for the Spring Equinox. Are you ladies interested? I've actually been itching to trim my ends even though they aren't problematic. I'm just paranoid that they may have been weathered from my constant wearing it out when the year started and that I'm protective styling with damaged ends. I stay paranoid about them, I'll be glad when I can finally trim the little bit off.

I really need to hide my scissors... :look:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
3 more days til it's time to trim//dust my ends for the Spring Equinox. Are you ladies interested? I've actually been itching to trim my ends even though they aren't problematic. I'm just paranoid that they may have been weathered from my constant wearing it out when the year started and that I'm protective styling with damaged ends. I stay paranoid about them, I'll be glad when I can finally trim the little bit off.

I really need to hide my scissors... :look:

Mskraizy

I'm aiming for 10:57 am MDT. This year I'm going to put this lunar/Moroccan method to the test, because 2014 is the year of RETENTION.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I cowashed with aussie moust last night and sealed with evoo before I redid my individual braids. I had minimal shedding and zero breakage. My ends are still thick, but I plan on trimming in June. Ive been spraying my hair with aphogee keratin spray for strength and it seems to be working

faithVA

Last night I started trying something new. Going to put a little moisturizing DC on my ends and then seal it in with a pomade. I will do this nightly and every time I style my hair. Going to try it tomorrow when I do my curlformer set to see if it improves my ends.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
In a quest, to keep healthy ends and hair, I dust/trimmed this morning for the Spring Equinox. I'll dust/trim again for the Summer Solstice.

This is my hair sectioned off prettywitty77 style. I used her method of pulling down the Ouchless band to trim.

ForumRunner_20140320_124508.jpg

I'll M&S tonight with SD Satin Smooth Hair Creme and Nourish Oil.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Last edited:

Mskraizy

MileHighDiva I also trimmed on the 19th. I trimmed my mini braids as well. My ends really didn't need it and I'm glad that I went through and really paid attention to the amount I had to cut, I only took off about 1/4 an inch from each braid, most of them probably had less taken off.

But regardless, I'm now free of the paranoia that my ends are damaged and I feel fresh and my ends look and feel so rejuvenated! Yay!

Dee Raven

I need to trim my hair. I've been trying to hold out for the sake of another challenge. But I'm starting to see too many little hairs. I think I'm going to try to trim and inch next weekend.

Babygrowth

I know when I trim my hair next month it won't be no 1/4in over here :( but it will be clean and precise since I'm going to rollerset and trim those sections.

spellinto

I had a fresh touch up and thorough trim at my salon about a week ago, so I'm evaluating my ends with a new start :) It's still a mystery why I experience split ends so rapidly. I'm reading threads about women who only trim every 6 mo, even 1-2x a year...I would love to achieve something like that, if I could just. figure. out. the culprit!!

My regimen doesn't involve any frequent heat on my ends...I only use heat in the salon every 3-4 months. I shampoo biweekly, so my ends are normally exposed to harsh sulfates, and I use a moisturizing dc at least one time a week. I also use protein monthly and moisturize and seal every other day, or every 2 days. At one point I was shampooing weekly and alternating a lot between moisture and protein, but I noticed more splits just from all the flip-flopping between dryness, moisture, and protein. Spreading things out and giving my hair time to breathe has brought much better results. But still, I see splits.

I use a seamless comb when detangling, and I only comb 1-2x a week (otherwise I finger detangle). I used to bun 95% of the time, but I noticed more splits from the constant styling, so now I'm experimenting with looser updos and low manipulation styles. For the past two weeks I've been wearing my hair out almost every day...my ends still seem in tact, but it's too soon to make any valid observations. Amongst the ladies on here who trim sparingly, some PS almost every day, while others rarely even bun. I'd like to see what works best for me.

So I've been making a lot of changes to my regimen and seeing progress, but I'm still think my ends could be better. My biggest suspect right now is my detangling process--I think detangling after airdrying can be very traumatizing on my ends, so I'll work on using gentler techniques and noting any progress. I'll also be sure not to finger detangle unless my ends are lubricated with oil beforehand. Other than that, I'm not sure what's bothering my ends yet.

faithVA

I have become addicted to search and destroy. My ends are better as a result but I need to keep my hands out of my hair during the day.

I commit today to keep my hands in my lap and out of my head :lol:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I almost bought a bottle of Neutrogena silk touch leave in for my ends. Ive used it before and its a good leave in, but I originally went to the store looking for Herbal Essences long term relationship. That was an amazing leave in for my ends and now I cant find it anywhere. I think they discontinued it :(

tasha7239

I almost bought a bottle of Neutrogena silk touch leave in for my ends. Ive used it before and its a good leave in, but I originally went to the store looking for Herbal Essences long term relationship. That was an amazing leave in for my ends and now I cant find it anywhere. I think they discontinued it :(

They have a new one out. I think the name is Beautiful Ends. It's supposed to be in Walmart and CVS. Amazon also has it but they want $20.00.

faithVA

Using Hairveda's Methi Set for the first time. I was going to give Step 1 - Protein away but decided to at least give it a try. So far I like it. My hair felt soft and strong after rinsing out Step 1 (Protein). DCing with Step 2 now. Will know tomorrow whether this is a keeper. Usually my hair feels a little hard the next day.

faithVA

I like the Hairveda Methi Set. My hair felt nice and definitely was not dry. I still had a lot of breakage though. So I pulled out the Komaza Protein which I had never tried. I like that as well. It left my hair strong and soft. So I will keep the Komaza Protein as my primary protein and sell the Hairveda Methi Set.

Not sure how my ends are doing since I'm just keeping it up. I am just clipping splits as I come across them. I will stick with my every 4 week Splitender dusting until the end of June and then re-evaluate.

spellinto

Now that I haven't been bunning as often, I noticed that I haven't gotten any of those L shaped split ends. I had a lot if them in my last stretch, but I haven't seen any so far. Maybe that's a plus of wearing my hair out and not bent and twisted into a bun? I've also noticed that after a month of stretching my ends still look even. I mean, they looked a little dry/bushy today, but the *cut* still looks even. Usually when my ends are out of whack, they look like they're all at different lengths. Not sure if either of these observations are valid but I will continue to observe.

Babygrowth

I'm trimming tmrw for *root work* according to the lunar calendar after I relax and rollerset. I know I definitely need to trim btwn 1/4 and 1/2inch. Since I'm on a every 8 week schedule I may just do 1/4 because I finally got a little bit of hang time and I want to keep it!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I really hope all my healthy eating and working out gives me a growth spurt, because I'm getting a trim in June and I want to be bsl after the trim. I'm 1.5 inches away right now. And I get slower than average growth 1/4-1/3 inch per month... I need a Spring growth miracle lol

spellinto

What do you all think about sealing with serum? There are a few threads on here about it where ladies use it to seal, but there are other posts saying that serums block out moisture because of the cones. I've also seen people seal with serum when they create rollersets. I just bought the PM super skinny serum and I'm not sure if I should seal with it our just return it. Should I test that out this weekend & see how it works?

Babygrowth

What do you all think about sealing with serum? There are a few threads on here about it where ladies use it to seal, but there are other posts saying that serums block out moisture because of the cones. I've also seen people seal with serum when they create rollersets. I just bought the PM super skinny serum and I'm not sure if I should seal with it our just return it. Should I test that out this weekend & see how it works?

Test it out! I also plan to use that serum. Its like a thick oil in my mind with some slip/cones so I don't think you should use it everyday but maybe on wash day and mid week if necessary.

Jace032000

My ends are hanging in there. I can tell I've been paying a lot more attention to them when it comes to keeping them sealed and moisturized because I have retained an entire month of growth. My hair also still looks somewhat freshly trimmed even after 6 weeks.

FoxxyLocs

My ends are doing fine. I haven't been super strict with keeping my hair straightened for the past few months, but I do make sure to keep my ends stretched so they don't tangle. I straightened recently and did a S&D and didn't find too many splits or knots, so that's good. I'm going to continue to alternate between straight and natural styles so I can assess my ends regularly. I really don't want another setback because I'm really close to my goal.

spellinto

Used the PM super skinny serum as a sealant and wasnt sold in the results. It softened my ends a bit but they felt dry even though I moisturized before sealing. For me serum works best as a polish or heat protectant, even as a detangling aid, but that's about it. I think that this serum does well at doing what it was designed to do though.