RELAXING WHILE PREGNANT!

Okay, so I was pretty scared at first.. But i did research online, and a lot of doctors said it was safe and cannot harm the baby. They recommend not getting it done in the 1st trimester because thats the most critical stage of development, but they said after your 1st trimester, studies show no sign of harm on the baby..
On the negative side, they did say the only risk that you may face is the relaxer not taking as well as it would if you were not pregnant because of the hormones your body is releasing.
Sooo wat do you guys think? Anyone ever had a perm while pregnant? If so, how did it take?

GodMadeMePretty

I'm natural now, but I did relax when I was pregnant with my daughter. It didn't take. I was thinking about transitioning anyway when I got pregnant with my first son (it had been over a year since my last relaxer when I found out) so I didn't try to relax because I knew it wasn't going to take. A month before he was born, I cut the rest of the relaxer off after almost 2 years of transitioning.

MsBoinglicious

I personally wouldn't do it. I would take advantage of those 9 months (protective style like crazy). Your on prenatal pills too, your hair will be on super grow mode. lol

Plus I mean your body is still absorbing the chemical. I wouldn’t want anything toxic going in my body (cig, alcohol, drugs) or on my body!

But that’s just me. These days anything can make a baby come out with 6 eyes and an extra set of legs :nono: lol

BlackMasterPiece

I wouldn't risk it with a baby on board, doctors say alot of things are okay that arent necessarily okay because many of them wanna tell you everythings fine so you can get outta the office faster. I would keep things as organic and healthy as possible while pregnant and shy away from all harsh chemicals.

JJamiah

I have four boys and didn't relax for any, I had my first two very close and was natural for almost 4 years LOL! I just wouldn't do it.

ive been permless about 11 months post because ive been in sew-ins, and with my very thick 4b hair, its DREADFUL! ah! lol. oh well.. :-(

OrangeMoon

:lachen::lachen::lachen:I tried getting a relaxer while pregnant that mug did not take. The joke was on me. The press and/or blowout is your friend

I doubt a press would work, if its anything close to a flat itron it DEFINITELY wont work.. Everytime I try to flat iron, it never comes out smooth. Its all puffy and you can tell where my demarcation line is because it feels all raggedy.. By the way, does anyone know why it feels like this??
Could it be because Ive been in sew ins for a year and my hair is used to being braided? Its feels really rough and hard to comb through when its flat ironed when I start getting to the demarcation line. And i have about 5 or 6 inches of new growth so that looks really bad..

ms.blue

My sister only permed her hair once towards the end of her pregnancy. It came out nice & thick not super straight but I guess if she had known about the possible side effects I think she would had waited until after she gave birth.

chasturner84

I don't have children but I have wondered the same thing. My mother and my aunts relaxed their hair while pregnant without any adverse reactions. When the time does come for me to have children, I know that relaxing will not be an option. I would use that 9 months (plus the time while you're breastfeeding, if you're choosing that route) to do protective styling like braids and sew ins. :yep:

I know many doctors say that it's fine, but I just wouldn't take the risk. :nono:

GodMadeMePretty

wow..so do you think you basically ruined your hair by perming it while pregnant?

No, I didn't ruin it. I just spent money for nothing. The pH level of your hair changes when you're pregnant. Relaxers work because the pH level is higher than your hair pH level. When that gap closes, the relaxer does nothing.

I suggest a pressing comb for your new growth if you want to wear it straight. Nothing straightens like a pressing comb with a temperature dial. Otherwise, just wear braidouts.

InNeedofHairapy

I was in the middle of stretching when I found out I was pregnant & decided to transition. I personally could not do it. If doctors tell you not to wash your face with products containing salycylic acid, I don't see how they could approve sodium hydroxide (chemical in relaxers)

There is still a risk of it entering your blood stream and doing harm to the baby.

If you want to relax, wait till after the baby..and really after breast feeding is done..you just never know

30something

Even if it's not harmful to the baby it doesn't seem like a good idea because it probably won't take.

When one door closes another door opens, you'll find away.

BellaLunie

I did when I was preg and it didn't take. I had the best hair of my life while preg

ETA I was around 6 months and 4 weeks post

Last edited:

Sugar

I probably wouldn't do it simply because it most likely won't take and relaxing my hair is such a lengthy process that I'd hate to do it for nothing.

On a side note, I know lots of women get great growth when they're preggers. I read something about how pregnancy locks all your hair into the anagen phase. But, with the exception of 1 person, they all lost all of that growth in the months following delivery. One of my Sorors still complains that pregnancy changed the texture of her hair and not in a way she was pleased with.

thickness

I say don't do it, not worth risking the health of your unborn child. With my first son I relaxed and it didn't take. So, I just wore braids for the duration of my pregnancy. With my last two, I was natural.

growinstrong

I've relaxed 2x's so far since I've been pregnant. Both times it took very well. I have just been trying to stretch the relaxers out as much as possible. I am 20 weeks now and am trying to stretch it out until after the baby is born. If that doesnt work, I'm gonna relax at month 9, close to delivery time. I was never told I could not relax my hair, my relaxers have taken very well and I guess its just a personal preference :ohwell:.

SheaButterBaby

I think it's a sign that you shouldn't relax period, if it's a concern harming your baby for 8 months imagine what it's doing to your body for 2 year plus! Imagine the sodium hydroxide, burning through your blood...gives me shivers just thinking about it :shocked:lol! But it's up to you, I would say definitely don't relax while pregnant.:yep:

trevprit

I'm natural, so I don't relax anyway, but I bought a box of dye to use in June 2009 and it's still sitting on the shelf b/c I found out I was pregnant the same day I bought the dye!!! Talk about somebody mad!

Anyway, I guess it's one of those not-sure things, but I chose to wait it out b/c if something were ever to b wrong with the baby, the first things mommies do is blame themselves, whether it was our fault or not.

I was on the fence about it a couple times, but I've never used chemicals like that or relaxers (when i was relaxed) during pregnancy, so I chose to stick to my pattern. I figured that if anything happened I didn't need anything extra to walk around feelin guilty about. The kids will do that on their own, whether they're right or not. :lol::perplexed

Alta Angel

I relaxed during both of my pregnancies with no problems or adverse effects to my children (to my knowledge). That being said, if I knew then what I know now, I would not relax while pregnant. My hair thrived and flourished throughout my pregnancy...the problem was afterwards. I had post-partum shedding probably about 6 months after my pregnancy. The natural shedding and the 'bone straight' relaxer had me looking real crazy.

Try stretching, hiding your hair in braids, etc. for your pregnancy. You won't regret it!

BellaLunie

I relaxed during both of my pregnancies with no problems or adverse effects to my children (to my knowledge). That being said, if I knew then what I know now, I would not relax while pregnant. My hair thrived and flourished throughout my pregnancy...the problem was afterwards. I had post-partum shedding probably about 6 months after my pregnancy. The natural shedding and the 'bone straight' relaxer had me looking real crazy.

Try stretching, hiding your hair in braids, etc. for your pregnancy. You won't regret it!

same with me!

Solitude

I didn't relax my hair when I was pregnant. I didn't know anything about stretching then, just went with the old school common-sense practice.

My hair grew like crazy, and I just blow-dried and flat-ironed it and wore a lot of cornrows (they were really in style at the time). I did not experience "post-partum" shedding, but I did keep taking my vits for about a year.

UrbainChic

All I know is they tell women not to dye their hair when pregnant-- seeing as a relaxer is much more potent, I would not risk it.

gymfreak336

It wouldn't matter either way to me. I only issue I would really have is whether or not the relaxer would take. I know some women weave it up or get braids for this reason.

There isn't enough data or realistic theories to support developmental risks for me personally.

growinstrong

In my case, its not vanity at all :nono:. I work in a very professional setting and I was never taught and still do not have the skills to make my hair presentable for work when I have a lot of new growth. Relaxing gives me the ease of styling. I am stretching my relaxers to the best of my ability and will be getting braids to get me through to as far as possible. Everyone's situation is different, but just because a lot of us here on the board have successfully learned how to be DIYers, that doesnt mean ALL of us have. So, not vanity AT ALL and I dont think ppl should just judge those who choose to relax. Its a tough decision and of course, we do not want to harm our baby's, but at the end of the day, its a personal preference.

I wouldnt do it. Is your vanity that serious that you would risk damaging your unborn child?

~NanCeBoTwin~

I relaxed one time during my pregnancy and it did not take at all, it was almost as if I just spread conditioner on my hair and rinsed it out LOL......

Good Luck whatever you decide to do!!!

Ladybelle

I wonder if naturals have less postpartum shedding than relaxed heads?

I didn't relax with my first one & experienced little to no postpartum shedding. I kept most of my length/growth too.

I relaxed with my second one because the dr & my beautician at the time said it was okay - I had so much shedding afterwards. I ended up going natural for awhile just to get my hair to growback.

With this one, I'm not relaxing because 1) I think it's better not to, 2) my hair seems to prefer it and 3) I'm curious to see if I'll shed less....

we'll see.