Blessings of Tithing -- "Support Thread" for Tithers

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
:Rose: Be Encouraged :Rose:

For You... "Whosoever will... "

:Rose: For those who are being 'mistreated' at work:

"For I, the LORD, love justice; I hate robbery and wrongdoing. In my faithfulness I will reward my people and make an everlasting covenant with them.

"For I, the LORD, love justice. I hate robbery and wrongdoing. I will faithfully reward my people for their suffering and make an everlasting covenant with them.

For I the LORD love judgment, I hate robbery for burnt offering; and I will direct their work in truth, and I will make an everlasting covenant with them.

Isaiah 61:8

Last edited:

BK Bombshell

This may be the first time I'm posting in here.

Anyhow, she's absolutely right. I've been tithing for a few months and I'm constantly surprised at how I always have more than enough money - especially since money was so tight for me before. The forgiveness piece was a bit difficult for me, but I just keep working at it, especially with people I swore I'd NEVER forgive. Just yesterday, I ran into an ex who I'd been holding a grudge against for years. I didn't feel even slightly upset so I tapped him on the shoulder and hugged him. He called me about 10 minutes later to apologize for his past behavior and tell me why he behaved the way he did when we broke up. It was a great conversation and cathartic for both of us. We also made plans to have dinner soon. After I hung up, I was like "did that just happen?":lol:

I haven't been to a workshop, but I have her book, The Four Spiritual Laws of Prosperity. I'm going to reread it over the holidays. I hope she's coming to my area soon so I can go to one of her workshops.http://www.longhaircareforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

LiftedUp

Re: Tithing Challenge

I tithe regularly- every month. But I do not tithe 10%, we are required to tithe given our own ability and my church upholds that.

Divine.

I think I stopped tithing around November. I used to always tithe. When things starting getting even more tough, I just stopped. I think I'm going to start again today. So much has shifted in my life that I need to be reminded that I owe my entire life to God. 10% is the least I can do.

bellatiamarie

I tithe at least 10% regularly and have done so consistently for about a year and a half... before that, I'd give my tithes but not consistently and part of that was because I wasn't attending church consistently.

Whenever I create my budget, 10% tithes is the first expense on the list. I feel like it all belongs to God anyway. He's only requiring 10% from me so that's the least I can do.

I started my "career" about 6 years ago and I've had 4 jobs over the last 6 years and during that time I have not had a lapse in employment or been without anything that I've needed. God has been very faithful and honestly I can't think of a time in my life where I've ever truly gone without.

Tithing is a major step towards truly trusting God. It's something that I hope to master, so I'm willing join the challenge. Can someone post some scriptures supporting tithing? If not, I'll come back later to do so.

Chrismiss

I agree with everything by the OP. Practicing forgiveness has been major for me this year. I would like to join this challenge, I'm in.

Renewed1

I'm in. This always happens when I decide to stop paying my tithes for a short period of time. I just have to trust God in these other areas.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess

i started tithing again in my 10% starting in November before that starting in August I was tithing 5% and before that for about 3 years nothing at all. I can truly say that since I have been tithing my 10% on faith even when it looks like I shouldn't be stuff just seems to be working out financially. God says to bring your tithes the the store house and trust me and see. Because I am doing what I am suppose to be doing faithfully I can trust God 100% to do what He has promised.

Renewed1

I set up my budget to pay for my December and January tithes in the month of January. wbich means I had my December check to do other things.

Why is it in my daily devotional Mailchi 3:10(?) popped up! I said fine God fine! I'll pay my tithes now! I paid them and then I got an attitude about my current situation.

Then I calmed down. And shrugged. He said prove me.....so he gotta do it.

tallnomad

I set up my budget to pay for my December and January tithes in the month of January. wbich means I had my December check to do other things.

Why is it in my daily devotional Mailchi 3:10(?) popped up! I said fine God fine! I'll pay my tithes now! I paid them and then I got an attitude about my current situation.

Then I calmed down. And shrugged. He said prove me.....so he gotta do it.

Renewed1 --God will!

Wow about that scripture in your devotional!!

Divine.

Ladies, God was serious when he says prove me! The same day I responded in this thread, I prayed then boldly tested God in this area. I didn't give an ultimatum (which I don't think is wise to do anyways), however I did acknowledge that his word states that we can test him with our tithes. I started tithing the same day.

A day later, as I was doing my budget, I had more money than I had anticipated! I have no clue how the numbers were adding up but they did. On Friday, my job gave me an extra $100 for Christmas. It was so unexpected! Today I received 3 checks in the mail from my family members for Christmas. I usually only get something from my grandmother. I'm blown away by this!

Everyday God shows me more of himself and I am so thankful for it. I have now made it a point to put my entire tithe (not partial) in my budget. I still plan on participating in the challenge. I think it's important to have abounding faith when it comes to tithing. Have faith that God's word is true and he will come through!

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!

What a powerful testimony! At this year's Women Convention of our church a lady said the same thing, she said financial woes are tied to unforgiveness and she quoted Matthew 5:23.

Divine.

What a powerful testimony! At this year's Women Convention of our church a lady said the same thing, she said financial woes are tied to unforgiveness and she quoted Matthew 5:23.

That is so true. Things haven't always been easy, but I distinctly remember when it got tougher for me financially. It was around October. I was so angry at a person I literally put them on a black list in my mind. I didn't realize how much resentment had bubbled up inside of me. That same month, I began worrying about my finances tremendously! The next month I stopped tithing. Although I made steps towards forgiving, I still was robbing God of his portion.

tallnomad

Ladies, God was serious when he says prove me! The same day I responded in this thread, I prayed then boldly tested God in this area. I didn't give an ultimatum (which I don't think is wise to do anyways), however I did acknowledge that his word states that we can test him with our tithes. I started tithing the same day.

A day later, as I was doing my budget, I had more money than I had anticipated! I have no clue how the numbers were adding up but they did. On Friday, my job gave me an extra $100 for Christmas. It was so unexpected! Today I received 3 checks in the mail from my family members for Christmas. I usually only get something from my grandmother. I'm blown away by this!

Everyday God shows me more of himself and I am so thankful for it. I have now made it a point to put my entire tithe (not partial) in my budget. I still plan on participating in the challenge. I think it's important to have abounding faith when it comes to tithing. Have faith that God's word is true and he will come through!

I love this! Thank you for this testimony!!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member

tallomad, thank you for such a beautiful thread.

And you know what? Your notes are amazing. You have a gift of attention to detail and total 'recall'. :yep: While reading your post, I felt as if I were 'there' right along with you at the workshop.

I am very thankful as you opened this thread with a gentle spirit and it has continued throughout.

I have so many stories about tithing but I'd like to share this one about my children. I have a son and a daughter and they began tithing at a very young age because they believed in what I was doing by trusting God.

When my son was a young teen, he needed a white suit for a special occasion that we were having at Church and he wanted to buy the suit on his own. The suit was $100. He had saved ten dollars and he openly gave his tithe in the service offering each time he had money. No one knew about the suit other than me (and of course God). One day, out of the blue his grandmother came to visit and gave him $100. She knew absolutely nothing about the suit nor the need for it. Needless to say, God 'proved' Himself to my son.

To this day, my children are tithers and God continues to 'prove' Himself in their lives and never fails to do so in a loving and timely fashion.

Prove God. He can always be trusted to keep His promises. Always.

proudofmynaps

Count me in. I have been tithing 10% of my net income. Is that correct. If not can someone point to a scripture where they state how much to give.

bellatiamarie

Scriptural support for tithing taken from this website: http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Tithing-and-Offering/

Leviticus 27:30*- And all the tithe of the land, [whether] of the seed of the land, [or] of the fruit of the tree, [is] the LORD'S: [it is] holy unto the LORD.

Matthew 23:23*- Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Malachi 3:10*- Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that [there shall] not [be room] enough [to receive it].

2 Corinthians 9:7*- Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Psalms 24:1*- (A Psalm of David.) The earth [is] the LORD'S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.

Numbers 18:21*- And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, [even] the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.

Malachi 3:8*- Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

Romans 12:1*- I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service.

Acts 20:35*- I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

1 Corinthians 13:3*- And though I bestow all my goods to feed [the poor], and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

John 3:16*- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Luke 6:38*- Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

1 Corinthians 9:7*- Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?

Luke 18:12*- I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

Amos 4:4*- Come to Bethel, and transgress; at Gilgal multiply transgression; and bring your sacrifices every morning, [and] your tithes after three years:

Proverbs 3:9*- Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:

Job 41:11*- Who hath prevented me, that I should repay [him? whatsoever is] under the whole heaven is mine.

Nehemiah 13:12*- Then brought all Judah the tithe of the corn and the new wine and the oil unto the treasuries.

Nehemiah 12:44*- And at that time were some appointed over the chambers for the treasures, for the offerings, for the firstfruits, and for the tithes, to gather into them out of the fields of the cities the portions of the law for the priests and Levites: for Judah rejoiced for the priests and for the Levites that waited.

2 Chronicles 31:5*- And as soon as the commandment came abroad, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of corn, wine, and oil, and honey, and of all the increase of the field; and the tithe of all [things] brought they in abundantly.

Deuteronomy 14:23*- And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

Deuteronomy 14:22*- Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

stephluv

Thanks OP for this thread!!! I'm in for this commitment yes I won't call it a challenge to even let a little bit of negativity discourage me but I do have a few questions/concerns that I would love feedback on....

1. Like proudofmynaps mentioned above what is this 10% of when tithing? Is this before or after taxes per paycheck and is this given separately from offering?

2. A few posters spoke of unforgiveness being connected to tithing and blessings..I too seem to struggle with this (tho you never realize until the past is tapped into lol) How can someone TRULY overcome this?

3. In the OP tallnomad wrote that the speaker urged to sow/tithe into the place you are being spiritually fed at...well I have my home church where I grew up and have love for but I think another church is spiritually feeding me..not a member but I leave feeling revived when I do visit Im referred to as an unofficial member there as i participate and help often Could I be led to tithe here tho I am a member at another church?

Thanks in advance for feedback Shimmie can you tag any ladies that may be able to address my concerns

Last edited:

Maracujá

Thanks OP for this thread!!! I'm in for this commitment yes I won't call it a challenge to even let a little bit of negativity discourage me but I do have a few questions/concerns that I would love feedback on....

1. Like @proudofmynaps mentioned above what is this 10% of when tithing? Is this before or after taxes per paycheck and is this given separately from offering?

2. A few posters spoke of unforgiveness being connected to tithing and blessings..I too seem to struggle with this (tho you never realize until the past is tapped into lol) How can someone TRULY overcome this?

3. In the OP @tallnomad wrote that the speaker urged to sow/tithe into the place you are being spiritually fed at...well I have my home church where I grew up and have love for but I think another church is spiritually feeding me..not a member but I leave feeling revived when I do visit Im referred to as an unofficial member there as i participate and help often Could I be led to tithe here tho I am a member at another church?

Thanks in advance for feedback

As you mentioned, you only realize it when the past is tapped into: as long as you continue to have negative feelings towards someone when thinking about a past event, you have not truly forgiven said person. I've been struggling with this for about four years now concerning a particular event, I spoke about it to someone while visiting a church and she pointed me to Phillippians 2:13. As humans we cannot forgive by our own power or strength, we have to ask God to help us do this. Also, it helps to obey what God says, I was reading about a woman who had been in concentration camp during World War 2, her sister died there at the hands of a Nazi man. Years later she met the man again, the man had been converted and came to listen to her speak. He had no idea who she was but at the end wanted to shake her hand, she hesitated to shake his hand but in the end obeyed God and did so anyway.

Nice Lady

As you mentioned, you only realize it when the past is tapped into: as long as you continue to have negative feelings towards someone when thinking about a past event, you have not truly forgiven said person. I've been struggling with this for about four years now concerning a particular event, I spoke about it to someone while visiting a church and she pointed me to Phillippians 2:13. As humans we cannot forgive by our own power or strength, we have to ask God to help us do this. Also, it helps to obey what God says, I was reading about a woman who had been in concentration camp during World War 2, her sister died there at the hands of a Nazi man. Years later she met the man again, the man had been converted and came to listen to her speak. He had no idea who she was but at the end wanted to shake her hand, she hesitated to shake his hand but in the end obeyed God and did so anyway.

Forgiveness is a choice. Feelings don't indicate that you have forgiven anyone. Pastors will often tell you when you first forgive that you will not feel any differently. Forgiveness doesn't mean that you permit yourself to be exposed to danger or remain friends with anyone that poses a threat or is trying to harm you.

Examples of unforgiveness: Unforgiveness takes the form of plotting revenge for 8 years. Or it could take the form of talking about your negative past after 50+ years and taking an ugly disposition towards everyone else. You made the decision to forgive. So, don't let the devil convince you haven't forgiven.

tallnomad

Shimmie--thank you for your beautiful testimony as well as the compliment! Your posts always bless me and make me think.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on here too much lately and have been working on multiple deadlines.

Thank you for validating that we are to prove God.

bellatiamarie -- thank you so much for this support! I will be referring to this!

tallomad, thank you for such a beautiful thread.

And you know what? Your notes are amazing. You have a gift of attention to detail and total 'recall'. :yep: While reading your post, I felt as if I were 'there' right along with you at the workshop.

I am very thankful as you opened this thread with a gentle spirit and it has continued throughout.

I have so many stories about tithing but I'd like to share this one about my children. I have a son and a daughter and they began tithing at a very young age because they believed in what I was doing by trusting God.

When my son was a young teen, he needed a white suit for a special occasion that we were having at Church and he wanted to buy the suit on his own. The suit was $100. He had saved ten dollars and he openly gave his tithe in the service offering each time he had money. No one knew about the suit other than me (and of course God). One day, out of the blue his grandmother came to visit and gave him $100. She knew absolutely nothing about the suit nor the need for it. Needless to say, God 'proved' Himself to my son.

To this day, my children are tithers and God continues to 'prove' Himself in their lives and never fails to do so in a loving and timely fashion.

Prove God. He can always be trusted to keep His promises. Always.

Lola28

I'm going to ramble but please bear with me. I want to give because I believe but I don't feel the joy to give and that's what's makes me feel bad. I want to be a joyful giver not a reluctant one. I've been praying about it. It's like I give because I know I have to not so much that I want to.

I have to be a better steward of his money (everything I have and get is his). I plan to sow more seeds this year as well. It makes me feel good to be a blessing to someone.

I have two people I have to forgive that just seems so difficult for some reason. It's really because I don't want to speak to them. I pray and say I forgive but I have to have an actual conversation that I've avoided up until now.

mz.rae

Wow this has really been an interesting read. I really feel I should partake in this. I have been tithing, though I'm not sure I tithed the correct amount because I haven't calculated. However recently I have been worrying about my finances(which is no fault but my own)and searching for employment while in school so I have pulled back some on tithing, as well as going through a transition searching for a new church home. I really have been thinking about the forgiveness and what Nice Lady said a few posts up and it was so very helpful. I have been asking myself have a truly forgiven everyone? If I saw some of these people how would I act?

For people that weren't personal relationships I feel like I have forgiven them. Like for instance the school I attend is apart of a hospital that I was wrongfully terminated from. I've seen the girl responsible for my termination even ran into her twice on the elevator. I've even seen the manager on the elevator as well. I use to have thoughts of things I would do or say, but when I saw them I would just hello. Even to some of the other people I use to work with there I would say hello so I've come a long way. Now as far as personal relationships it's a little harder, I think I've forgiven them and some times little thoughts come into my head about revenge. But I know it isn't worth it. I need to pray on this aspect much more.
I'm praying that as soon as I find a new church home or what ever happens during this transition I can participate.

kikigirl

This is an article regarding why Jews do not tithe today. Does this rule applies to us Christians? and Jesus never discussed tithing in the new testament. So what do you guys think. hhttp://www.askelm.com/tithing/thi003.htm Thanks

There is a growing trend among some Christians to try and turn tithing into a conviction-only matter. The argument is often that the requirement was part of OT law, and is not compulsory under the NT. I think this reasoning requires a lot of rationalization. As Shimmie posted, there are verses about tithing in the NT.

I know some fervent Christians that are staunch proponents of the conviction-only movement. I don't want to stereotype, but those have been folks that can barely make ends meet (I know these folks well enough to know about their financial status). I doubt there is a strong correlation because lots of poor folks tithe while many people with lots of disposable income do not (just going by general stats; IIRC, on average Christians only give 2% of their income?)

As a poor grad student for many years, I rarely encountered fellow students that argued the requirement to tithe. We knew it existed. Fulfilling it was the problem.

Maracujá

God is so good! I was unable to tithe at our Nightwatch this year and someone said: well, maybe by next sunday you'll be able to tithe. I was like: :ohwell: I'm unemployed and only have a few days between now and sunday? Where am I gonna get the money?! Well, the family member I hadn't spoken to in nearly four years was here for the holidays, we reconciled and before leaving she left some money for me as a Holiday gift. Then my sister added some more money to it and when sunday rolled around I was able to tithe:yep:.

On forgiveness: I read a good devotional by pastor Rick Warren in which he explained that it's not so much about a resolution (talking things over) but about reconciliation (coming together and making amends).

Divine.

I'm sorry, but we are not required to tithe, you cannot "buy" Gods blessings and any increase you have in your life, is because God is sovereign and faithful, not because you tithe money. In fact the tithe was never currency and was never intended to be currency.

Not trying to derail this thread, but I was a tither for years and struggled financially all that time. Yes, I would have little burst of increased finances but would have just as many droughts.

I haven't "tithed" in about three years, but I am constantly sowing into someone's life, financially, emotionally and any way God leads me to and let me tell you, I am blessed beyond measure and not with material things.

Also, if you are going to use Old Testament scripture to support tithing, then there are also many other laws that they followed, are you going to follow those too? Jesus died on the cross to redeem us from the law, why are you trying to go back under the law?

Lastly, you must ask yourself, did Jesus every teach/encourage his disciples to tithe, or did he ever receive a tithe?

Shimmie posted this scripture somewhere but I will repost it for emphasis:

“But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and every herb, and neglect justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without neglecting the others.” (ESV)

Meaning: You ought to have tithed without neglecting justice and love of God. Jesus said this to the Pharisees in the New Testament. You're supposed to tithe.

I don't tithe to receive something from God. I tithe because I owe every bit of my life to God. To me, it's a form of appreciation and a reminder that we would not be be here without the grace of God. This is why you should tithe, not to receive financial increase. My testimony was just an example of how he responded to my "test." Since then, I haven't received anything else monetarily but I still tithe.

Iammoney

Wealth magnet

2 Corinthians 9:10New International Version (NIV)

10 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess

You have truly said a month full right with your entire post!

Hello :wave: I'm not debating with you at all. I basically agreed with you in saying that you shouldn't tithe for a blessing. That's not why any of us should tithe. God's word specifically states that you can test him with the tithe. Because I believe his word is true, I did it.

And if we're really going to take it there with the Old Testament not being valid today...then let's take a look at a few things said about God in the Old Testament that are no longer valid either based on that line of thought:

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Isaiah 40:28-29

Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23:6

The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and He knows those who trust in Him. Nahum 1:7

And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Everything that God IS wouldn't be true if we dismiss the Old Testament. Tithing is the one part of the Old Testament we choose to throw away yet we want to hold on to idea of God being a healer, protector, our shepard, or whatever other verse our Sunday school teacher told us to memorize.

I personally wouldn't feel right if I never sowed into God's church. If I knew I received a financial blessing, and I did not return a portion of it to God, I just wouldn't feel right. He's the reason I have this life. Why wouldn't I want to sow back into his kingdom? Certainly not just get another blessing. I want the church to grow strong.

dicapr

Can we not derail this thread debating whether tithing is necessary? This is a challenge thread. If it isn't your conviction or you want to discuss the validity of this practice maybe we can start a new thread?

Nice Lady

Tithing works! I noticed that there is someone citing stuff that isn't true. When you have a relationship with God. Tithing works. The people who don't tithe do seem to live it up, but there's protection for a tither. You will be tested as a tither. In all my years of giving my tithes, even when things were tight, God blessed me with ideas, concepts, human help, protection and speared my life. If you don't tithe, God will still show you mercy.

There are unsaved people that I know that were experiencing all manner of harm and cars totaled, etc.===but when they gave their seed to a Christian to carry into church on a regular basis that it stopped. There are saved ones that give 10% and they are blessed in their careers. However, I know one Christian woman that was a Treasurer on a church board and she only gave $15 dollars within three years of church attendance. She appears blessed, but has problems paying her bills and other kinds of calamities. It's false to say that tithing isn't in the New Testament.

When you know God's blessed you, you are eager to give him back stuff. It's not just giving, but doing it in faith and understanding the principles behind it.

Last edited: