Advice from the hairdresser.

Chyna Red

My cousin's wife went to get her hair done. she got a relaxer , ends clipped and then a wrap. She said the guy<who owns a cosmetology school and several shops around the city> told her that people shouldn't put anything on their hair. no grease, oil, no nothing. Just wash it and use a light conditioner, rinse it out and style. Anything else our hair needs it gets from the air. she said when he was done with her hair "it was swinging like white girl hair". She will go to him weekly or bi-weekly for a wash and condition and to have her ends "opened up". <clipped a little> I asked her what products he used and she is going to find out next time she visits him. I will be monitoring her progress . she said he told her that her hair will thicken up and get longer if she follows this regime. I don't know if I believe this. My daughter's hair is dry and if I didn't put anything on it she would have scales within the week. Her ends are extremely dry. Anyone think this is sound advice?

blue_flower

I think it'll work for some people but not for everyone. It almost sounds like the no oil method. I tried that before and it didn't do anything for my hair. I didn't use any products and all I did was conditioner washes. My hair was dry, dry, dry. Maybe you could try the hairdressers advice but change it up a bit so you don't end up with dry hair.

inthepink

I wouldn't be able to do that...even if I was relaxed. My hair would totally dry out.

Leslie_C

I can agree to a certain extent but I think that it would depend on how often u wash and conditioner to put moisture back in. I do think a leave in helps too.

I think most dominican haidressers believe in this method too, because they dont believe in oils and greases weighing the hair down.

WHen I got my relaxer done the other day, after the relaxer she blow dried it, appied some hair polish, and flat ironed. Thats it, no additional products. My hair was silky, shiny, bouncy, all of that just like your friends hair.

She said just to apply a little polish each day, especially to the ends and thats it. Today is tuesday and it still looks and feels the same, its still soft and shiny and has movement.

This is how I like my hair when its down so it allows for movement. But when its up, I apply lots of moisturizer.