Styling Options for Alopecia

Cheleigh

Hi ladies: Hoping you all might have some suggestions. My mom is in her late 60s and has alopecia around her crown. She currently has what should be a wave nouveau or ferm perm type product in her hair, but it has never really looked like a curl (a separate story for a separate day, as I'll never get an accurate account of what the stylist has been doing, and what she asked for, and how she's been maintaining it, etc.). Short story is that the style isn't working for her. She thought about doing a texturizer or flat ironing her natural hair, but this morning she emailed me and said she wanted to stay natural, but wanted a style where she could "wear her hair pulled off her face". She currently can grow her hair everywhere but in her crown (it's not totally telly savalas bald, just very thin in that area). The wave nouveau-y thing has made her hair totally straight, so she can wear it pulled back into a small ponytail.

So do you have suggestions on what her options are? I'm thinking sewn-in weaves and wigs (but natural looking ones) but maybe I'm not thinking about all the options? Help please if you can--I want my mommy to be as pretty as she wants to be! :)

HanaKuroi

Hi ladies: Hoping you all might have some suggestions. My mom is in her late 60s and has alopecia around her crown. She currently has what should be a wave nouveau or ferm perm type product in her hair, but it has never really looked like a curl (a separate story for a separate day, as I'll never get an accurate account of what the stylist has been doing, and what she asked for, and how she's been maintaining it, etc.). Short story is that the style isn't working for her. She thought about doing a texturizer or flat ironing her natural hair, but this morning she emailed me and said she wanted to stay natural, but wanted a style where she could "wear her hair pulled off her face". She currently can grow her hair everywhere but in her crown (it's not totally telly savalas bald, just very thin in that area). The wave nouveau-y thing has made her hair totally straight, so she can wear it pulled back into a small ponytail.

So do you have suggestions on what her options are? I'm thinking sewn-in weaves and wigs (but natural looking ones) but maybe I'm not thinking about all the options? Help please if you can--I want my mommy to be as pretty as she wants to be! :)

I wouldn't go with a sew in at all. That can make her alopecia worse. In fact I wouldn't stress that area at all. I think there are some threads on alopecia here. I hope someone will bump them for you. I will try to later on today when I am at a computer. Wigs, with her hair protected underneath, while treating the alopecia, would be the way I would go.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Last edited:

Blairx0

Do you think the area will regrow? I ask because I wonder if you are looking for a temp solution like a wig or a permeant solution like a comb style to hide it