My 3 Year Fro Progress- From Bald to BAA :)

MzSwift

Great progress. Beautiful hair. If you don't mind, what was your regime for the last 3 years?

I PS 95% of the time. In cornrows and wigs during the cold weather and in mini braids during the summer.

I wash once per week and follow it with a light protein and moisturizing DC.
I water rinse or cowash during the week, whenever I feel like it.

I've been adding ayurveda powders to my poo, condish and scalp oil since Jan 2010. That's been very helpful!

I'm still trying to learn my hair b/c I feel I have to potential to retain a little better than I have been.

Amerie123

MzSwift first of all, your progress is amazing; keep up the good work!!!...
second of all, seeing this makes me happier w/ my progress because I started my natural journey in June 2009 as well (you big chopped, but i transitioned for 2 yrs), and I seem to be making the same progress as you... So, as i look at ur growth i think it's great, but it's crazy 'cause I look at me and feel just like you and consider myself to be a slow grower, and I also feel that I have potential to retain a little better. I feel like I can write every post you made in this thread. lol.

Krystle~Hime

Thanks ladies!:grin:

finickyone

I have to stretch my hair without heat in order for my fro to stand up otherwise it's floppy. I band it into many little sections and then I take them down and pick them out one-by-one, starting in the back. HTH! :)

Usually, how many "bands" do you do on each side of head ? Do you band on dry hair or damp ? Doesn't it cause breakage to pick/comb hair on dry hair ??
I have to try this... but very afraid of all the broken pieces of hair on the floor v_v
I PS 95% of the time. In cornrows and wigs during the cold weather and in mini braids during the summer.

I wash once per week and follow it with a light protein and moisturizing DC.
I water rinse or cowash during the week, whenever I feel like it.

I've been adding ayurveda powders to my poo, condish and scalp oil since Jan 2010. That's been very helpful!

I'm still trying to learn my hair b/c I feel I have to potential to retain a little better than I have been.
I also wear wigs but I think I'm doing something wrong.
Do you wear a nylon cap under your wig ? As nylon is not satin I think it's not good for hair. Also for having a natural look I leave a part in the front, even if this part is properly moisturized and sealed I don't know if I will retain length at long term. (I wear Lajay wig) Do you leave a part of hair for having daily a natural look?

Thanks in advance for your help, and I have to say : stunning progress !!!! :drunk:

MzSwift

MzSwift

Thank you so much, ladies!

Usually, how many "bands" do you do on each side of head ? Do you band on dry hair or damp ? Doesn't it cause breakage to pick/comb hair on dry hair ??
I have to try this... but very afraid of all the broken pieces of hair on the floor v_v

I also wear wigs but I think I'm doing something wrong.
Do you wear a nylon cap under your wig ? As nylon is not satin I think it's not good for hair. Also for having a natural look I leave a part in the front, even if this part is properly moisturized and sealed I don't know if I will retain length at long term. (I wear Lajay wig) Do you leave a part of hair for having daily a natural look?

Thanks in advance for your help, and I have to say : stunning progress !!!! :drunk:

@MzSwift

Hey Krystle~Hime !

If I'm banding to stretch my hair after washing, I do about 9 bands. I part my hair from ear to ear in the nape, and then from temple to temple. I use 2-3 banded ponytails in the nape, 3-4 in the middle section and then 2-3 in the front. I try to avoid middle parts cause my hair will keep that part.:perplexed

If I'm maintaining stretched hair, I do 2-4 banded ponytails at night. I ALWAYS M&S before banding my hair.

For my fro, I only comb out on moisturized hair. If it's too dry, I mist it a little with my moisturizing spritz before using my wide toothed comb or pick to fluff it out.

I rock satin skull caps under my wigs. I let the nylon go early in the game b/c it was giving me a headache and I had read horror stories of missing edges/napes from those. I M&S twice per day -- day and night. If I water rinse or cowash, that counts as one of my M&S sessions.

I only wear full wigs b/c I want all over growth and, from my observation, people's leaveout tends to suffer.

I hope I answered everything! :D