How long between braid installs?

lesedi

All is well with me
Hi ladies

I currently have box braids in at the minute, and i'm loving not having to mess with my hair everyday:grin:.
I plan to have them in for 6 weeks and then take them down. What i want to know is, how long should i have between installs? Could i take them down, spend a day deep conditioning them put them in the next day? Cause my new growth will be approx 20 weeks post at that point so i don't want to 'puffed up' and tore-up for like 2 weeks or whatever...

Thanks ladies xx

bestblackgirl

uh well that's what I am doing too. I will take out my braids next friday. Wash and deeeeepppp condition my hair on saturday, and sunday or monday, put in braids again. I will be 18 weeks too and i will look like a HAM if i dont do that. I dont think it should be a problem.

mscocoface

At the very least one week. Two is much better. That has been the norm from what I have seen. You want to let it rest, do some deep conditioning and other treatments during the time in between.

chartys08

I have been wearing braids for over a year and I usually wait atleast one week sometimes two. You need to give your hair a break from the braids.

jcdlox

I am also wearing box braids (well I'm in between right now). I had mine in for 4 weeks and have had them out for 2 before I braid again on Saturday. I wanted enough time to do at least 2-4 DCs before braiding again.

Nonie

When unsure, I say follow the advice on http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html It has never failed people who were new to braids. After you've had some experience and especially if you do your own braids, then you can make your own rules as you see fit.

Since I do everything to my hair when in braids that I do to it when not in them, I don't need any special treatment when I take my braids out, so I have worn braids back to back...only taking them all out to change the parting. But I've also been doing my own braids for years and have done this long enough to feel comfortable bending rules.