Communion with a common cup?

alexstin

I came across a post on my homeschool forum where people were displeased at the thought of not sharing the cup. Where have I been all my life? I've never seen this in any church I've been in. Today we had communion and we use the prefilled, sealed juice and wafer(thank you, Jesus!). I couldn't share, I think I would have an anxiety attack.:lol:

I grew up in a Baptist church, but in my adult life, I've only attended charsimatic/Pentacostal churches, could that be why? What do they do at your church?

Last edited:

Galadriel

Ahhhh, my mother's Methodist-Episcopalian church used the little individual open cups with the grape juice. :yep:

I think you'll find the "common cup" more prominent in liturgical churches, like Catholic, Anglican, etc.

At my church we use a common cup, and we use real wine. The priest or minister of communion usually wipes the edge with a cloth before giving to the next person. Sometimes we just only get the communion wafers (Body of Christ). Under our church rules, a person can take either wine or bread, or both, and each way is still valid for reception.

You know, I never much thought about that, well, except for maybe during flu season when the priest is like "Don't hold hands during the Our Father! People are sick!" :lol:

LiftedUp

I only found out about individual cups when I was about 23 and my friend came and told me (in horror by the way) that everyone had to drink from the same cup :lol:

I only found out about not having communion every Sunday like last year/early this year so I'm getting there :lol:

But yes they wipe it before the next person.

It doesn't bother me because it's all I know. I've wondered about joining hands and shaking hands during the greeting of peace then having communion. I used to secretly use hand sanitizer at a point but I've since let the go from my mind.

alexstin

. Sometimes we just only get the communion wafers (Body of Christ). Under our church rules, a person can take either wine or bread, or both, and each way is still valid for reception.

Galadriel Didn't know that either.:lol: What the reason for this?

LiftedUp....:lol: at your friend, that would have been me too:look:

I didn't know some churches had communion every Sunday, guess I'm learning right along with you.:lachen:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I came up in both African methodist episcopal and southern baptist.

Both had individual cups

I occasionally attended catholic services with friends and there was a communal cup.

LivingInPeace

I'm Lutheran. We stopped using the common cup exclusively in the eighties. Since then, one assistant holds the common cup and another holds a tray with individual cups. I rarely see anyone use the common cup.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I remember using the 'Common Cup' during Catholic services and not giving it a second thought. The Priest would always wipe the cup before the next person drank from it.

In my non-denominational Church there were small 'tulip' shaped plastic cups used where the Ministers pre-poured the grape juice in prior to service and kept them covered. Now we have the pre-packs with the wafer attached to the top.

I doubt if I'll ever take part with a Common Cup again, but that's just me. I also have issues sitting on the train or plane unless I cover the seat first. :look:

However, I want to make it clear that I completely respect the choices of those who do; and I'll be honest, I've yet to hear of anyone becoming ill from the partaking with a 'Common Cup'. :yep:

Galadriel

@Galadriel Didn't know that either.:lol: What the reason for this?

When the priest consecrates the bread and wine by repeating the words of Christ "This is My Body...This is my Blood..." both are sufficiently transubstantiated. People who may not be able to take the bread due to illness or issues with swallowing can more easily sip from the cup, and they will still have had a valid communion.

:lol: I'll never forget the time I saw a communion minister right after communion. Everyone had partaken, but there was still wine left in her cup, so she spent a good 5-10 seconds downing the rest trying to look as dignified as possible :lachen:.

JaneBond007

It doesn't bother me because it's all I know. I've wondered about joining hands and shaking hands during the greeting of peace then having communion. I used to secretly use hand sanitizer at a point but I've since let the go from my mind.

Lucky you. I also sit by somebody who sneezes, coughs or worse and then comes the communion rite (Our Father). Oh boy! I tell my kids not to touch their faces after giving the sign of peace until we get to the car where I drown them in hand gel. LOL.

I used to drink from the cup but have stopped for a time. I just can't. And once, at the Byzantine mass (they use a little spoon for the bread squares placed into the chalice along with the wine), I accidentally chomped down on the spoon. It was instinctive because it didn't fall fast enough and oh boy... You should have seen Fr.'s face. I hope he knew I was catholic, just not Byzantine.

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
I'm Baptist and we use individual cups like the one below. I visited an Anglican church recently and they shared a cup and wiped after each person. I sat there amazed and terrified :lol:

sissimpson

At the church I attend presently, they have these nice, sanitary communion cups. At the last church I attended, the elders would be at several stations, one holding a chalice of grape juice, the other a loaf of unsliced bread. We would be directed by the elders to an available usher, then pull a large piece of bread off the loaf, and dip it in the chalice. Instructions were explicit.... do NOT dip your long nails into the juice.

alexstin

At the church I attend presently, they have these nice, sanitary communion cups. At the last church I attended, the elders would be at several stations, one holding a chalice of grape juice, the other a loaf of unsliced bread. We would be directed by the elders to an available usher, then pull a large piece of bread off the loaf, and dip it in the chalice. Instructions were explicit.... do NOT dip your long nails into the juice.

:lol: too funny!

SandCastles

Galadriel Didn't know that either.:lol: What the reason for this?

LiftedUp....:lol: at your friend, that would have been me too:look:

I didn't know some churches had communion every Sunday, guess I'm learning right along with you.:lachen:

Some Catholic Churches have Mass everyday and serve communion each time.

When I was growing up, my Baptist church only served communion at Sunday evening service on First Sunday. My current church does communion on First Sunday during the morning service.

alexstin

:lol: Yes! The first time I saw them I thought it was so clever and convenient.

This is the same kind we use....best invention ever!:lol: I will say, though, I don't like the wafer, it's what I imagine styrofoam tastes like. I prefer the little crackers.

Last edited:

Holla

Yes Ma'am! We use these too at my church. When first introduced to the congregation, you could hear noise from everyone opening the wrappers. :lol: Now it's like second nature.

I don't like the open juice cups or picking up pieces of a cracker from a passed plate. Everyone's hands and their germs all in there. To sip from the same cup or dip bread in the same cup...I'd pass. I'm glad certain churches only allow members of their denomination to do that so my excuse when visiting those other cup passing churches was always....I'm Baptist. I'll have to sit this one out. :look:

I'm Baptist and we use individual cups like the one below. I visited an Anglican church recently and they shared a cup and wiped after each person. I sat there amazed and terrified :lol:

LivingDoll

I can't imagine that people out there are still drinking from the same cup and taking wafers from the same plate! Despite the cup being wiped, people's spit still gets into the juice. That is so disgusting to think about. We use the cups/wafers that are shown above.

Shimmie

Staff member
I can't imagine that people out there are still drinking from the same cup and taking wafers from the same plate! Despite the cup being wiped, people's spit still gets into the juice. That is so disgusting to think about. We use the cups/wafers that are shown above.

LivingDoll, I thanked you for making me laugh ... 'at myself'. I am such a germophobe. It's amazing how I ever survived the Common Cup moments of my life. :drunk:

Holla, :lol: at the paper 'noise'. That was cute.

BrandNew, those are the same cups/wafers that we use now instead of the tiny cups and trays with crackers. We actually used to use those Oyster crackers (call Tam Tams).

http://www.tam-tams.com/products.php?product=garlic

The plain ones, unsalted. There was no 'flavor of the month' going on. :rolleyes:

BTW: Pastor alexstin, this is a good thread; very educational. :yep:

alexstin

LivingDoll, I thanked you for making me laugh ... 'at myself'. I am such a germophobe. It's amazing how I ever survived the Common Cup moments of my life. :drunk:

BTW: Pastor alexstin, this is a good thread; very educational. :yep:

It has been very educational for me, too!

What's funny is that right before communion yesterday, one of the elders was going to town putting his hands all over the "crackers". I was starting to panic and turned to DH and whispered, "I know he's not putting his hand all over the crackers. What happened to the all-in-one cups? ". So DH stands up and stretches and takes a quick look in the communion tray, the elder was standing against the wall right next to us( no, DH wasn't disruptive:lol:) and then sits down and tells me it's the all-in-one cups. Whew!!!:lachen:

JaneBond007

:lol: Oh my gosh, the wafers come with the cup?

When people say "crackers," I'm expecting a Keebler or something lol. But those look like our communion wafers. I don't even know where ours get produced. One thing, though, the consecrated must be contained in actual gold. I've never seen this type of packaging before but I guess it's pretty convenient.

LiftedUp

Yes same cup but we receive the Body like this:

Some people directly in their mouth, some dip and some receive it in their hand

and we're still alive :lol:. I'm sure a couple of disciples had backsplash lol but honestly I think it's minimal given the quickness and lack of control each person has.

But seriously to each is own :).

JaneBond007

Catholics don't take the host, they receive it. We don't take it from any plate, we receive it placed into our left hand or receive it place upon the tongue. The Communion cup contains consecrated wine and you drink so very little of it, a sip. What's a little spit in Jesus' blood? lol

Belle Du Jour

At the Mass of the Lord's Supper, I partook of the common cup. It's really the only time of year it's available (on Holy Thursday). I'm a bit of a germaphobe but I remind myself that it's Jesus' body and blood so I'm not going to get sick from it. :yep: I was also sitting near the front so I was like the 5th person in line LOL.

Shimmie

Staff member
It has been very educational for me, too!

What's funny is that right before communion yesterday, one of the elders was going to town putting his hands all over the "crackers". I was starting to panic and turned to DH and whispered, "I know he's not putting his hand all over the crackers. What happened to the all-in-one cups? ". So DH stands up and stretches and takes a quick look in the communion tray, the elder was standing against the wall right next to us

( no, DH wasn't disruptive:lol:)

and then sits down and tells me it's the all-in-one cups. Whew!!!:lachen:

:lol::lol::lol:

Hilarious, Pastor Alexstin :lol:

God bless you and Hubby by the way. Happy Resurrection Celebration to you. :love2:

Shimmie

Staff member
@Shimmie
Thanks, sweetie! Have a great Resurrection Sunday. Bless you!

We're having sunrise service at 8:30am.

Who does that?:lol:

Praise God, that's awesome. :yep:

I 'hear' you on the 'Who does that? :lol:

My family climbed Stone Mountain two years in a row... in the dark, long before sunrise. :blush:

I'll have to share pictures. The children loved it. :yep: