Am I the only one who calls them french braids?

What do you call those braids

• French Braids

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • Cornrows

Votes: 163 65.2%
  • Other

Votes: 16 6.4%

• Total voters

Lovestyr

Yeah I classify those as cornrows, those are some nice looking cornrows too. Makes me consider getting a braid job.

Ogoma

OK admittedly, I couldn't read all 5 pages, did anyone post this? There's no such thing as a "French Braid." The French stole it from the Africans and called it "Tresse Africaine." Americans stole it from the French, and since "Africa Braids" didn't sound as fancy to them, they called them French Braids. Here's the in-depth report of anyone's interested:
http://youtu.be/ugStnl7kmxE

Thanks for the info. I didn't know this. I know these are done in Africa and I know they didn't get it from the French, but I just assumed both grew organically in both places. It is African braids to me from now on.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
they're not French braids. French braids are inverted, cornrows are not. I know French braids sounds dainty and cute, but that's not what cornrows are.

mshoneyfly

In my childhood, French braids refers to the overhand method and we just called the other way; underbraids

I LOVE this HHJ!!

ETA: Chi-town in da house!

discodumpling

Cornrows are overhand and CONGO is underhand. What yall call a french braid we call CONGO where im from. My mom braids Congo excellently..my hands wont do it!

DirectorChic

French braids were usually... from my stand point... the one braid that goes down the back.

What is pictured are liked to: " Many Rows of Corn."

LivingDoll

I have always called "cornrows" french braids. Actually, I never heard the term cornrows until I moved from WI. I never see anyone call them french braids either, so I'm wondering if it was just a local thing.

What do you call the braids below:

Cornrows...french braids are inverted or underhanded braids. It's amazing that there are so many differences in opinion.

Last edited: