Single Christian Women's Support - THE REMIX!

Belle Du Jour

Hold on! I've been celibate for nearly a decade too but I was occasionally dating (no sex or anything, but my focus surely wasn't 100% on the Lord), now I've stopped that. I always think about what pastor Voddie Baucham said: if you want to know how tall a building is going to be, you don't have to wait for it to be built, you just look at the foundation and how deep they dig it. Same thing with marriage, if you want a sky scraper type of marriage, you've got to dig deep. There's also this minor detail about Sarah's life I read that hit me to my core and made me understand how deeply God cares about us. In the Bible, Sarah is abducted a number of times. I read somewhere that that is one of the reasons why God kept her childless as He did not want people to think that if she got pregnant it's because she had been unfaithful to Abraham with one of her abductors. God even cares about how a foul reputation will make us feel.

I look forward to long romantic walks with my husband one day, during those walks, I don't want to constantly run into men I used to date back in the days. If this means being celibate for another 10 years, so be it. I'm also currently reading 'Sacred Singleness' by Leslie Ludy, where she encourages single women to live a life poured out. And be an apostle wherever God has placed you at the moment. I'm using my gifts now to help people with their administration, school, writing, languages and I love it!

I was interested in Leslie's book but thought it might be for younger women. Do you find the reading level too immature?

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I was interested in Leslie's book but thought it might be for younger women. Do you find the reading level too immature?

Somewhat yes, and the testimonies are mostly from women in their mid twenties to early thirties. Also, I've come to understand that white Christians are really into missionary work, which is what most of the ladies testifying in the book did with their single season. What I like about the book is that it takes you back to the essence and makes you dream again. Leslie encourages us to not settle for just anybody but to wait for our 'warrior-poet'. As childish as that may come across for some, it's an important reminder. When I look around me and see some of the men women are settling down for just in order to be able to say that they are coupled/boo'ed/shacked up, it's crazy!

If you prefer more mature material, I would suggest Nancy Leigh Demoss' book 'Lies women believe and the truth that sets them free', there's a passage there about believing the lie that one can't be happy while single. And she was single for all of her adult life, she just recently got married.

Belle Du Jour

Last edited:

Divine.

Sooooo.......how are you ladies dealing with the celebate life?

I'm speaking Naturally

....I know and understand the spiritual side. I've been celebate for about 10 years now.

I guess I'm doing okay...it's been 3 1/2 years. But if God decides to cut my wait down I'm not gonna fight him about it :lol:

I commend you ladies who have been doing this for 10 years. I could not do it. I'm barely making it to 4. I wish more women opened up about celibacy in the Christian community.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I guess I'm doing okay...it's been 3 1/2 years. But if God decides to cut my wait down I'm not gonna fight him about it :lol:

I commend you ladies who have been doing this for 10 years. I could not do it. I'm barely making it to 4. I wish more women opened up about celibacy in the Christian community.

And that's the right attitude to have imho, just like marriage can become an idol, so can singleness. Also, you may think it's hard to remain celibate, but think about these words: exclusivity breeds intimacy.

movingforward

Moving forward and onward

It's tough. The only reason why I lasted so long was doing the traditional Christian stuff prayer meditation talking to friends trying to obey God's word etc. etc. But it is very difficult to do especially as I get older I will be 40 next year so it's very tough for me.

And my issue is that there is no real discussion on the proper ways to be celibate and practice our belief.

Belle Du Jour

And my issue is that there is no real discussion on the proper ways to be celibate and practice our belief.

There is a whole bunch of books on chastity from Catholic writers. I recommend:
Theology of the Body for Beginners by Christopher West, Holy Sex by Gregory Popcak and Thrill of the Chaste by Dawn Eden.

ETA: I hope no one is thrown off by the fact that the writers are Catholic. :look: :look: I honestly don't know of many Protestant writers tackling issues on sexuality. I also read books by Protestant authors as well. We can learn from each other. :yep:

Last edited:

Lucia

There is a whole bunch of books on chastity from Catholic writers. I recommend:
Theology of the Body for Beginners by Christopher West, Holy Sex by Gregory Popcak and Thrill of the Chaste by Dawn Eden.

ETA: I hope no one is thrown off by the fact that the writers are Catholic. :look: :look: I honestly don't know of many Protestant writers tackling issues on sexuality. I also read books by Protestant authors as well. We can learn from each other. :yep:

Adding
I hope not because I don't know of many PP tackling this topic as point blank and I listen to some Protestant preachers like Paul Washer Joel Osteen and others. If they have a good message and are true to the word of God The Bible I'll give them a listen as long as their not bashing and have a intelligent and charitable way of presenting their material, I have no problem with it.

Btw Paul Washer has a good series on bilical womanhood and biblical manhood on YouTube check him out. He
Deals with this too.

If You Really Loved Me: 100 Questions on Dating, Relationships, and Sexual Purity
By Jason Evert

http://www.amazon.com/You-Really-Loved-Questions-Relationships/dp/0867169095

Biblical womanhood

Biblical manhood

Last edited:

Lucia

I was feeling discouraged I know it was an attack of the enemy trying to bring me to bitterness and despair with lies. I called a family member and we prayed over the phone.
I tell you that after our father and we got into some psalms a weight lifted off.

The devil IS a LIAR ! And he will not steal my joy even if my life's not perfect even if I'm not perfect with Jesus I will be victorious Amen!

Keep praise on your lips especially when it's hard because I have seen small everyday graces and miracles from the Lord even when I wasn't keeping up with practicing my faith.

Proverbs 3:5-7

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
on your own intelligence do not rely;
6 In all your ways be mindful of him,
and he will make straight your paths.
7 Do not be wise in your own eyes,
fear the Lord and turn away from evil;

Luke 1:36,37

Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month.
37For nothing is impossible with God."

Matt 18:18,19

"Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.

Last edited:

Lucia

The Holy Spirit and choosing a mate: (I like that it discusses the more natural side of being in a relationship)

:brainfog:

Wow I really liked what he had to say he went deep no superficial stuff. I believe it's true most of us leave God out or of our dating marriage decisions or compartmentalize this is Jesus territory and this is mine you know what I mean.
Its a very secular way of thinking and being. I know I should have leaned on Jesus more in the past then I actually did we need to take our limits off of God.

Last edited:

Lucia

Galatians 5:22-23

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

I was reminded of this by @Belle Du Jour post previous page. Thanks Belle.
Also Pslams is quickly becoming my go to when in prayer.

Be encouraged check out @Shimmie thread Marriage Prayers for singles. If you haven't and it's worth a revisit absolutely awesome thread that should be a sticky.

https://www.longhaircareforum.com/t...-it-is-gods-will-for-you-to-be-married.96564/

Psalms 136

His Steadfast Love Endures Forever

136 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever.
2 Give thanks to the God of gods,
3 Give thanks to the Lord of lords,
for his steadfast love endures forever;

4 to him who alone does great wonders,
5 to him who by understanding made the heavens,
6 to him who spread out the earth above the waters,
7 to him who made the great lights,
8 the sun to rule over the day,
9 the moon and stars to rule over the night,

10 to him who struck down the firstborn of Egypt,
11 and brought Israel out from among them,
12 with a strong hand and an outstretched arm,
13 to him who divided the Red Sea in two,
14 and made Israel pass through the midst of it,
15 but overthrew[a] Pharaoh and his host in the Red Sea,
16 to him who led his people through the wilderness,

17 to him who struck down great kings,
18 and killed mighty kings,
19 Sihon, king of the Amorites,
20 and Og, king of Bashan,
21 and gave their land as a heritage,
22 a heritage to Israel his servant,

23 It is he who remembered us in our low estate,
24 and rescued us from our foes,
25 he who gives food to all flesh,

26 Give thanks to the God of heaven,

luthiengirlie

Before I read the rest of the thread... I wanted to say that I've been healing from Molestion and Abuse and Rape from childhood to Adulthood.. I have the past two years realizing how deeply it's affected me.. I am trying to heal from that.. I never had an honest true to goodness relationship.. I was beginning a relationship with the Most High at 18.. then later at 18 I got raped.. then it started another cycle for me over again.. now I"m.. trying to work on the relationship again with the Heavenly Father and.. I still desire to be married.. I'm in a relationship right now.. but he doesn't see a future and for me that hurts deep.. so I'm just navigating..a nd I'll read the thread now

Lucia

@luthiengirlie

God bless you! None of what happened is your fault at all. Remember that Jesus loves you, always.
If you haven't already and you find its too much to tackle on your own you might look for some Christian based counseling to deal with what happened. Good local church might have some referrals.
Working on your relationship with Jesus is always a good step.

Matthew 6:33

Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

luthiengirlie

Its hard.. Its made the relationship with G-d very erratic.. I'm trying to stabilize things.. please put me in your prayers
@luthiengirlie

God bless you! None of what happened is your fault at all. Remember that Jesus loves you, always.
If you haven't already and you find its too much to tackle on your own you might look for some Christian based counseling to deal with what happened. Good local church might have some referrals.
Working on your relationship with Jesus is always a good step.

Matthew 6:33

Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

Belle Du Jour

Becoming Esther

Before a girl's turn came to go in to King Xerxes, she had to complete twelve months of beauty treatments prescribed for the women, six months in oil of myrrh and six with perfumes and cosmetics. And this is how she would go to the king....Esther 2:12-13

I have always been amazed at the kind of preparation that the future queen Esther had to go through before she was able to come before King Xerxes. Would any of us want to go through twelve months of beauty treatments before meeting the man of our dreams? Probably not, but then again, imagine the possibilities. One year set aside for one sole purpose - becoming all you can be for the one you love the most. Precious time to cultivate beauty, to make an investment in education and etiquette, to strengthen virtue, and build character. The preparation of Esther reminds me of that precious time between the awakening of desire in a young woman’s heart to share her life with a mate and the moment she walks down the aisle. For many, this time of preparation is seen as nothing more than a time of waiting. Single women often see themselves as sitting on the shelf while life passes them by, or as sitting on the bench while others play the game. They do not realize that they are wasting the most important time of their lives, they are robbing themselves of great joy and reward, they are robbing their future husbands of a more virtuous woman, and they are robbing God of a servant through whom He desires to do great things.

As Esther had to be prepared before she could be queen of an entire realm, so the woman must be prepared before she can embark on one of the most important and difficult callings in life - marriage and motherhood. Esther had to learn the ways of the kingdom to which she belonged, she had to learn the manners of court life, the intellectual, emotional and spiritual challenges of high position. To put it simply, Esther had to be transformed from a young lady into a queen before she could wear the title and fulfill the role. In the same way, the single Christian woman must learn the ways of the Kingdom of Heaven before she ever unites with the one that God is preparing for her. She must be prepared intellectually, emotionally and spiritually, not by court attendants in some pagan temple, but by God Himself, His Word, and by other godly women who have been prepared before her. Singleness is not a waste of time or a sitting on the sidelines, but a time that God has set aside especially for the woman, to make her into what He wants her to be, and to use her in ways that just might be impossible after marriage. Singleness is a time in which a woman is to cultivate the virtues that pertain to being a woman of God, so that she can offer to her future husband and the world something more than just a pretty face. Remember in your singleness that you are not the only one single, but your future husband is passing through the same stage as you. Would it not be a terrible thing to finally meet the man who is to become your husband only to find out that he has used his singleness to serve God and to prepare himself to be a better husband for you. And yet you did not use the freedom of your singleness to serve the Lord, nor did you take advantage of the training that God offered you?

Would it not also be a terrible thing to realize that your husband spent his days as a single man praying daily for your needs and the work of God in your life, while you neither prayed for him, nor responded to the grace of God that was given you as a result of his prayers. It is a wonderful thing when God blesses a woman with a husband.

That special someone who is just perfect for her in that he has been carefully and thoughtfully designed by God to be united as one with her. It is such a joy for the woman to look back and remember how God enabled her to wait on Him and that He was faithful to bless. It is still an even greater joy for her to know that her time as a single woman was also a time of seeking God and being faithful to Him and His purpose. That she did not for one moment wish to flee that state, but desired only to trust in God and wait upon His gracious sovereignty. By no means is it a tragedy to be a single Christian woman, but the way of the world has once again infiltrated Christianity with the false idea that it is. One of the greatest lies is that if you do not .have someone. or are not .actively looking., there is something wrong with you. Another lie is that the single woman should be dating around as though looking for a husband were the same as shopping in a mall. Still another even stronger lie is that the single woman should be giving her affections away indiscriminately so that she may be more experienced.

And know what to do when she finally finds the man of her choice. My dear Christian, it is a lie and an affront to God to say that experience is the best teacher, when in fact it is God who is the best teacher, and though the world.s motto is .live and learn,. the Bible.s advice is .learn and live.. You do not need to be experienced, you only need to be knowledgeable of what God has said and obedient to it. You should not be looking for the man of your choice, but should be waiting on the man of God.s choice. And when he comes, it will not be past experiences that will make your marriage work, but past chastity, purity, and godliness. We should hide our faces from the ways and experiences of this wicked world and look upon only those things that God has placed in the path He has prepared for us. God knows exactly what you need and He even knows the desires of your heart better than you do. God loves surprises. He does not want you to be looking for your husband, He wants to bring him to you, and probably at a time you least expect it. If you disobey this advice, as so many other women before you, and take it upon yourself to look for a mate, you may find someone, but chances are that someone you find will not be the right one. As women, our nature desires the company and companionship of a man. This is from God and therefore good.

But at the same time, we are wrong to think that death will be the result if this need is not fulfilled. Needing another as a companion is not like needing to take your next breath of air. That is, you can survive without companionship, at least until God has done His perfect work in you. Remember the Scripture.God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.. (I Corinthians 10:13) I have found that there are two primary reasons why someone .desperately. needs someone else. First of all, it is because they do not know God as they should. Is God not the God of all comfort? Is not Christ the exalted Lord who fills all things everywhere? Then why do we complain about how empty and alone we feel? Could it be that God extends our time of singleness so that we might find our life in Him and learn to be complete in Him? If we seek to be married because we feel that a husband will fill our lives or will in some way make us complete, we will be sorely disappointed in our marriage.

No man, no matter how Christ-like could ever take the place of God in our lives, to think such a thing is pure idolatry. If we are not filled by God now and complete in Christ in the present, then not even a marriage made in heaven will be able to change our emptiness. The second reason for desperately needing someone in our lives is plain selfishness. When we need someone in order to feel loved, or when we need someone so that our feelings of loneliness might dissipate, then we are wanting marriage for all the wrong reasons. Marriage should not be looked upon as an opportunity to have our needs met, but as an opportunity to meet the needs of another. If we have not learned to take our own needs to God, then we will probably overwhelm our husbands with our own needs and be unaware of his.

I have known Christian women who spent their days consumed with their own needs and constantly lamenting about why God had not brought someone into their life. But why should God entrust a godly man to a woman that is absorbed in herself and her own needs, and does not use the freedom of her singleness to serve God and prepare herself for His purposes?
Such a woman would have little to offer a godly husband! My dear friend, being single, like being married should be considered a very special and enjoyable time in the providence of God. It should not be considered a mere circumstance or a curse from which one should try desperately to flee. Being single is a time to learn of God and of ourselves, a time to discover who we are in Christ, and to grow in Christ likeness. It is a time to be zealous for good works and involved in ministry to others. Being single has a magic of its own that should be enjoyed in its time because once passed it may not return. There is nothing quite so sad as a woman now married who regrets what she could have been and done with her life while single. All was lost for the sake of hurrying to be married without consideration for the plan or work of God.

Every season in life has a beauty and wonder of its own. My prayer for all single Christian women is that they might enjoy their time in spite of the lies of the world. That they might be demanding and not settle for anything less than the perfect will of God. That they might wait patiently on God who is the giver of every good and perfect gift. That they might be like Esther, using whatever time God deems necessary to make them beautiful on the inside and out.

The Godly Woman
“A wife of noble character who can find?...”

“... She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” Proverbs 31

Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.. 1 Samuel 16:7

- by Charo & Paul Washer

Lucia

bellatiamarie

Becoming Esther

Before a girl's turn came to go in to King Xerxes, she had to complete twelve months of beauty treatments prescribed for the women, six months in oil of myrrh and six with perfumes and cosmetics. And this is how she would go to the king....Esther 2:12-13

I have always been amazed at the kind of preparation that the future queen Esther had to go through before she was able to come before King Xerxes. Would any of us want to go through twelve months of beauty treatments before meeting the man of our dreams? Probably not, but then again, imagine the possibilities. One year set aside for one sole purpose - becoming all you can be for the one you love the most. Precious time to cultivate beauty, to make an investment in education and etiquette, to strengthen virtue, and build character. The preparation of Esther reminds me of that precious time between the awakening of desire in a young woman’s heart to share her life with a mate and the moment she walks down the aisle. For many, this time of preparation is seen as nothing more than a time of waiting. Single women often see themselves as sitting on the shelf while life passes them by, or as sitting on the bench while others play the game. They do not realize that they are wasting the most important time of their lives, they are robbing themselves of great joy and reward, they are robbing their future husbands of a more virtuous woman, and they are robbing God of a servant through whom He desires to do great things.

As Esther had to be prepared before she could be queen of an entire realm, so the woman must be prepared before she can embark on one of the most important and difficult callings in life - marriage and motherhood. Esther had to learn the ways of the kingdom to which she belonged, she had to learn the manners of court life, the intellectual, emotional and spiritual challenges of high position. To put it simply, Esther had to be transformed from a young lady into a queen before she could wear the title and fulfill the role. In the same way, the single Christian woman must learn the ways of the Kingdom of Heaven before she ever unites with the one that God is preparing for her. She must be prepared intellectually, emotionally and spiritually, not by court attendants in some pagan temple, but by God Himself, His Word, and by other godly women who have been prepared before her. Singleness is not a waste of time or a sitting on the sidelines, but a time that God has set aside especially for the woman, to make her into what He wants her to be, and to use her in ways that just might be impossible after marriage. Singleness is a time in which a woman is to cultivate the virtues that pertain to being a woman of God, so that she can offer to her future husband and the world something more than just a pretty face. Remember in your singleness that you are not the only one single, but your future husband is passing through the same stage as you. Would it not be a terrible thing to finally meet the man who is to become your husband only to find out that he has used his singleness to serve God and to prepare himself to be a better husband for you. And yet you did not use the freedom of your singleness to serve the Lord, nor did you take advantage of the training that God offered you?

Would it not also be a terrible thing to realize that your husband spent his days as a single man praying daily for your needs and the work of God in your life, while you neither prayed for him, nor responded to the grace of God that was given you as a result of his prayers. It is a wonderful thing when God blesses a woman with a husband.

That special someone who is just perfect for her in that he has been carefully and thoughtfully designed by God to be united as one with her. It is such a joy for the woman to look back and remember how God enabled her to wait on Him and that He was faithful to bless. It is still an even greater joy for her to know that her time as a single woman was also a time of seeking God and being faithful to Him and His purpose. That she did not for one moment wish to flee that state, but desired only to trust in God and wait upon His gracious sovereignty. By no means is it a tragedy to be a single Christian woman, but the way of the world has once again infiltrated Christianity with the false idea that it is. One of the greatest lies is that if you do not .have someone. or are not .actively looking., there is something wrong with you. Another lie is that the single woman should be dating around as though looking for a husband were the same as shopping in a mall. Still another even stronger lie is that the single woman should be giving her affections away indiscriminately so that she may be more experienced.

And know what to do when she finally finds the man of her choice. My dear Christian, it is a lie and an affront to God to say that experience is the best teacher, when in fact it is God who is the best teacher, and though the world.s motto is .live and learn,. the Bible.s advice is .learn and live.. You do not need to be experienced, you only need to be knowledgeable of what God has said and obedient to it. You should not be looking for the man of your choice, but should be waiting on the man of God.s choice. And when he comes, it will not be past experiences that will make your marriage work, but past chastity, purity, and godliness. We should hide our faces from the ways and experiences of this wicked world and look upon only those things that God has placed in the path He has prepared for us. God knows exactly what you need and He even knows the desires of your heart better than you do. God loves surprises. He does not want you to be looking for your husband, He wants to bring him to you, and probably at a time you least expect it. If you disobey this advice, as so many other women before you, and take it upon yourself to look for a mate, you may find someone, but chances are that someone you find will not be the right one. As women, our nature desires the company and companionship of a man. This is from God and therefore good.

But at the same time, we are wrong to think that death will be the result if this need is not fulfilled. Needing another as a companion is not like needing to take your next breath of air. That is, you can survive without companionship, at least until God has done His perfect work in you. Remember the Scripture.God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.. (I Corinthians 10:13) I have found that there are two primary reasons why someone .desperately. needs someone else. First of all, it is because they do not know God as they should. Is God not the God of all comfort? Is not Christ the exalted Lord who fills all things everywhere? Then why do we complain about how empty and alone we feel? Could it be that God extends our time of singleness so that we might find our life in Him and learn to be complete in Him? If we seek to be married because we feel that a husband will fill our lives or will in some way make us complete, we will be sorely disappointed in our marriage.

No man, no matter how Christ-like could ever take the place of God in our lives, to think such a thing is pure idolatry. If we are not filled by God now and complete in Christ in the present, then not even a marriage made in heaven will be able to change our emptiness. The second reason for desperately needing someone in our lives is plain selfishness. When we need someone in order to feel loved, or when we need someone so that our feelings of loneliness might dissipate, then we are wanting marriage for all the wrong reasons. Marriage should not be looked upon as an opportunity to have our needs met, but as an opportunity to meet the needs of another. If we have not learned to take our own needs to God, then we will probably overwhelm our husbands with our own needs and be unaware of his.

I have known Christian women who spent their days consumed with their own needs and constantly lamenting about why God had not brought someone into their life. But why should God entrust a godly man to a woman that is absorbed in herself and her own needs, and does not use the freedom of her singleness to serve God and prepare herself for His purposes?
Such a woman would have little to offer a godly husband! My dear friend, being single, like being married should be considered a very special and enjoyable time in the providence of God. It should not be considered a mere circumstance or a curse from which one should try desperately to flee. Being single is a time to learn of God and of ourselves, a time to discover who we are in Christ, and to grow in Christ likeness. It is a time to be zealous for good works and involved in ministry to others. Being single has a magic of its own that should be enjoyed in its time because once passed it may not return. There is nothing quite so sad as a woman now married who regrets what she could have been and done with her life while single. All was lost for the sake of hurrying to be married without consideration for the plan or work of God.

Every season in life has a beauty and wonder of its own. My prayer for all single Christian women is that they might enjoy their time in spite of the lies of the world. That they might be demanding and not settle for anything less than the perfect will of God. That they might wait patiently on God who is the giver of every good and perfect gift. That they might be like Esther, using whatever time God deems necessary to make them beautiful on the inside and out.

The Godly Woman
“A wife of noble character who can find?...”

“... She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” Proverbs 31

Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.. 1 Samuel 16:7

- by Charo & Paul Washer

I have to do better with this. My desire for a husband comes from a very selfish place and marriage isn't about that. I need to realize that this future husband isn't supposed to fill any voids... only God can truly do that.

Lucia

^ have always loved that quote...but sometimes I feel how few men are willing to accept that challenge.

Fulton Sheen was THE man of God for his times
I need to look at his video and read his books ASAP

Sarah Swafford in the women's session was awesome they all we're moving.