What length did you start washing your hair in sections?

What length did you start washing your hair in sections?

• Shoulder Length

Votes: 62 51.7%
  • APL; I'm natural

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • APL; I'm texlaxed

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • APL; I'm relaxed

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • BSL; I'm natural

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • BSL; I'm texlaxed

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • BSL; I'm relaxed

• MBL; I'm natural

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • MBL; I'm texlaxed

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • MBL; I'm relaxed

• Total voters

isawstars

Is it just me or is there a trend in hair length and washing techniques?

Now that my hair is retaining more and more length, I've noticed I need to be careful while washing my hair to prevent tangles. Some ladies here section their hair in braids or pig tails and wash each section separately. So long haired ladies, when did you adopt this technique and what caused you to do so?

skegeesmb

When I was midback length texturized I never sectioned my hair. I just washed it in the shower and let the pressure of the water do it's work. But when I styled it I would part my hair into four sections.

ceebee3

Shoulder length-it's so much easier than piling the hair on top of my head like I used to do. I'm now touching APL.

Nayna

Unbothered
It never even crossed my mind until I read Chicoro's book and pretty much slapped myself on the forehead like duh! Lol. It's been soo much easier.

The front was and is SL and the back was APL and I'm natural.

bumblb87

I do it bc of thickness more so than length.... im around shoulder length and texlaxed/transitioning..... helps with tangles and making sure product makes it on all my hair

MummysGirl

I don't wash my hair in sections, I'm currently between SL and APL. Even when I was a little longer than APL... just never really got into it and my hair hardly tangles so I haven't seen the need for it yet.

Maybe it'll be a different story when I'm natural.

Ronnieaj

It never even crossed my mind until I read Chicoro's book and pretty much slapped myself on the forehead like duh! Lol. It's been soo much easier.

The front was and is SL and the back was APL and I'm natural.

Same here. And it makes life SO much easier!!!! I was SL natural, and it's been a godsend.

tocktick

I started washing, conditioning and detangling in sections when I was between SL & APL. However, I have very thick natural hair.

I soon found out that washing wasn't really the problem, it was dentagling with a comb that warranted the need to section my hair. These days, when my hair is loose I finger comb in the shower without proper sectioning. I use a comb roughly once every 2 weeks, so I section with bands then. However, I do that after washing since it's quicker.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I started washing my hair in sections when it got to be about 5 inches so it was even before I reached SL. My hair is natural and very thick and tangles like crazy. Washing loose it asking for trouble.

Seraphina

For me, it was went I went natural. I have a lot of hair whether it's short or long and it always tangled easily.

ladylibra

I do it bc of thickness more so than length.... im around shoulder length and texlaxed/transitioning..... helps with tangles and making sure product makes it on all my hair

I started washing my hair in sections when it got to be about 5 inches so it was even before I reached SL. My hair is natural and very thick and tangles like crazy. Washing loose it asking for trouble.

Ditto! I wasn't even SL yet when I started washing in sections. Probably was about the time I reached 4-5 inches of hair. When it was long enough to put in sections for detangling purposes, basically. I have thick hair, and that whole "water pressure from the shower" thing wasn't helpful back then. It's more helpful now because it works by weighing down my hair.

And I still wash in sections for detangling purposes. :yep:

Morenita

When I joined the board, I was APL and I started to transition. As more and more new growth grew in, I found that I needed to start washing my hair in sections to help with detangling afterward. I grew to a little longer than BSL and washed in 2 sections.

Now since I b/c'ed, I find that not only do I have to wash my hair in sections, I have upped it from 2 sections to 4 due to the massive jungle of curls and the tangling that would otherwise ensue lol. :lol:

Barbara

Princess
I started experimenting with my type 4 a/b uneven mid-back to waist-length hair last September. I parted it in seven or eight sections to reduce breakage due to tangling issues. That's the first time I washed, deep conditioned, detangled, and pressed it on my own. The entire process is done in sections.

Last edited:

sharifeh

i should but i dont
but its because my hair is thick not because of it length
its apl now but I still don't know how to wash in sections

aquajoyice

I actually just started washing in sections when I began this 6 month stretch. I'm currently 15wks post and have a ton of new growth so sectioning is neccessary.

NikStarrr

I'm natural and APL and I still don't wash in sections. I only wash in the shower and because my hair is still hanging down while washing, I don't get very many tangles. I couldn't ever see myself bending over a sink, for ex, to wash my hair. I'd have all kinds of tangles to deal with, I'm sure.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I started this at just above SL when I started my HJ. I'm full BSL now and I still wash this way. My hair doesn't tangle and very little hair comes out on wash day. I started doing this because it was reputed to curb breakage and tangling and at the time I needed help with that. It worked so well that I stuck with it.

Last edited:

Digital Tempest

What she said. I'm natural, and once I hit shoulder length I found it easier to start sectioning my hair to wash.

Kellum

I usually don't wash in sections but I found it very helpful towards the end of my 16 week stretch. It cut down on tangles drastically. I think I will continue to do that.

aziza

I am natural between SL and APL, and I just started washing my hair in sections. I get way less tangles when I wash my hair in sections.

Neith

I am chin length and I wash in 3 sections :lol:

Short hair tangles too... especially with the level of shrinkage I have. It also ensures that I can get to my scalp. It's like getting through a small forest in there sometimes :)

LynnieB

When I first bc'd, I'd just make one part, front to back and wash the hair on either side, loose.

When it started creeping near apl, I had to try something else :nono:. There was just too much hair to deal and even though my hair stretches out under the shower, it was still difficult to manage and I'd often run out of hot water before I finished. So I started washing in 2 or 3 sections. The hair was either in plaits, twists or in ponytails and I'd undo, wash/rinse then redo before going to the next section.

Now I detangle before I get anywhere near the shower and wash/condition in six sections, and I never EVER run out of hot water.

It takes me about 5-7 minutes to wash all of my hair like this.

Try it!