Which protective style promotes the best hair growth ?

Which protective style gave you the most hair growth?

• Bunning/Updo's/Pony's

Votes: 266 47.6%
  • Braids/Cornrolls

Votes: 201 36.0%
  • Wraps/Extensions

Votes: 39 7.0%
  • Others please specify

Votes: 53 9.5%

• Total voters

peppers01

For me it's been my quick weaves, because my hair stays in a pony tail with no manipulation until it's taken down (1-3 weeks). And the glue isn't an issue since I have this glue remover and poo that gets all the glue out without tearing my hair out, and I put on 3 stocking caps so that not much glue seeps through to my hair.

Aggie

My hair breaks less/I retain more wiiiiitttthh
Cornrows. Braids. ECT.

Things were im not touching my hair at all. Something like a bun or french braid would be good too expect the fact that I will take those down and play in my hair whenever im bored.
ITA, braids are wayyy better for my hair. Bunning pulls out hair in my nape area, sew-ins thinned out my hair (but I believe that was because the cornrows were too fine, this time I had them done a little thicker to test it out), I like cornrows too as long as they're not too fine and definitely cornrows under wigs is an amazing plus for me:yep:.

Last edited:

SherryLove

Sorry, I voted "other".

Protective styles promote better "retention" not growth. I acheive the best "retention" with braids.

Sorry about the ...pet peeve.

I was just thinking the same thing. I wear my hair out in a ponytail (while keeping my ends well moisturized), and my growth retention is pretty good.....smile....

Ivypearl08

I voted other...I do a slight ponytail at night with a scrungee and a silk scarf to cover my hair...then in the morning I put rollers in my hair right before I take a shower...the steam from the shower sets my hair...I take the rollers out (no combing or brushing) and off I go...it's worked for me...no fuss hairstyle...my hair has grown exponentially...

Siditty

I was the queen of buns when I first went natural. I went natural back in 1999 before I knew anything about big chops. I transitioned to natural, cutting off damaged hair along the way. I am pretty sure that in 2009, my hair is all natural, but buns are awesome. Every time I would flat iron my hair, people would be in awe when I wore it down, shocked I had so much hair that fit into such a small bun LOL

Bunning for me protected the ends, which in the end kept me from having so much breakage.

locabouthair

Regular ( and not too tight) braiding invigorates and stimulates the scalp, thus causing blood flow to the follicles...this then causes growth :yep: They key is to not make the braids too tight.

I never heard that before.

As a child my hair was not longer than my ears. Yes, my EARS. I wore box braids for two years and it grew to SL. I know SL isnt long but that was longest my hair ever was. Those braids really helped. I made sure to keep them moisturized with a braid spray. I think I was doing the crown and glory method at the time I just didnt know thats what it was.

Right now I''m half wigging it. I'm doing about 6 to 10 conrows and keeping moisturized at night and Dc once a week. Hopefully I'll get some growth this way.

Last edited:

WorkInProgress88

im sure its been stated already but protective styles does not promote hair growth, it helps retain hair length. For me personally, any protective style is good for me...i tend to lean more towards braids because it keep me from 'playing' in my hair daily

Aggie

Braids has worked well for me in retaining length and thickness in the past. I am back to doing them as frequently as I can again. Wearing cornrows is my second best option because it allows me to wear my wigs intermittantly.

Anna9764

im sure its been stated already but protective styles does not promote hair growth, it helps retain hair length. For me personally, any protective style is good for me...i tend to lean more towards braids because it keep me from 'playing' in my hair daily
Thank u Chin....actually I know they don't actually promote growth but help protect while it grows :yep:

Anna9764

I've been wearing braids for the last fews years...got quit a bit of growth, Been bunning for 2 months now...resting from the braids. A couple of years ago I remember getting lots of growth from bunning as well and wasn't even wearing them for growth. I may braid some color in this summer :yep: (honey blonde) but other than that gonna stick to bunning all the way. Thanks for all of your feedback

Country gal

I had some breakage earlier this year. I hid my hair under a wig and also wore a weave. My hair grew back to the length before the breakage. I had my hair cut in Feb 09 and now it is June when I started wearing it out. It looks very healthy too.

rben

Bunning! I get the best retention when I braid my hair in one big braid and then wrap that braid around itself to make a bun.

Marquetta Breslin

I voted braids as well. Not only because I've worn them since I was 8...lol but because I've experienced the most growth from wearing any type of braided/cornrowed style. I once cut my hair super short and put a texturizer in it. It looked a hot mess and as soon as it was long enough to braid, I braided it myself and kept it braided for about 1 1/2 years. When I finally decided to take them out, my hair was almost SL.

The only issue with Braids is that you have to pay close attention to those edges. At the time I had just enlisted in the Air Force so, I was constantly pulling my hair up into a bun or ponytail. I just made sure that it was loose and not too tight to pull my edges out and I was fine.

Aggie

I voted braids as well. Not only because I've worn them since I was 8...lol but because I've experienced the most growth from wearing any type of braided/cornrowed style. I once cut my hair super short and put a texturizer in it. It looked a hot mess and as soon as it was long enough to braid, I braided it myself and kept it braided for about 1 1/2 years. When I finally decided to take them out, my hair was almost SL.

The only issue with Braids is that you have to pay close attention to those edges. At the time I had just enlisted in the Air Force so, I was constantly pulling my hair up into a bun or ponytail. I just made sure that it was loose and not too tight to pull my edges out and I was fine.
Hi marquetta, I didn't know you were a member here. I have all your dvds except the lace front one. I don't know if I can handle making one of those - seem too time consuming for me. I still receive all your emails. But anyway, thanks for making the dvds. I love them.

Marquetta Breslin

Hi marquetta, I didn't know you were a member here. I have all your dvds except the lace front one. I don't know if I can handle making one of those - seem too time consuming for me. I still receive all your emails. But anyway, thanks for making the dvds. I love them.

I come in here all the time! I enjoy reading all of the posts from everyone. I finally decided to participate! I'm glad you're enjoying the DVDs...I'll be filming some more over the summer so stay tuned...:grin: