Which protective style promotes the best hair growth ?

Which protective style gave you the most hair growth?

• Bunning/Updo's/Pony's

Votes: 266 47.6%
  • Braids/Cornrolls

Votes: 201 36.0%
  • Wraps/Extensions

Votes: 39 7.0%
  • Others please specify

Votes: 53 9.5%

• Total voters

Fine 4s

I'm getting my hair flat twisted in a bun with my real hair this weekend.
I plan on wearing this style until the end of December with refreshers in between, 2-3 weeks.

Can't wait to go!

Fine 4s

I voted braids because that is all I have done to get to a longer length, but I am going to try and experiment with bunning for a while after I take my braids down and see what happens.

Extensions are sketchy. One minute you'll wear them with no problems and then the next time you wear and remove them you get a small alopecia section smack dap in the front of your dome.

I know this one person who did the crown and glory technique and did well at first but now :nono:. I don't care how small the bald spot is, that risk is just not worth it to me.

MAYBE after I reach my superdiduper long hair goal...

baddison

natural for good
Extensions are sketchy. One minute you'll wear them with no problems and then the next time you wear and remove them you get a small alopecia section smack dap in the front of your dome.

I know this one person who did the crown and glory technique and did well at first but now :nono:. I don't care how small the bald spot is, that risk is just not worth it to me.

i've been doing C&G for 7 months now. i've gotten great growth, but i also got that "spot" too. its starting to come back, but it scared the mess outta me at first. i'll be doing the "bun for growth" challenge as soon as these braids are done

metro_qt

I voted other, for wigs. I retain a lot of length this way.
I can't even say it's because my hair is braided or cornrowed underneath, because sometimes i'm ... most of the time i'm too lazy to do that, and I will part my hair in two, make two ponytail puffs. either braid them or leave them loose, but wrap them around my head, stick my wig cap on top, and then the wig.

So, for me, it has more to do with the fact that i'm leaving my hair alone most of the time, until wash day-once or twice a week. (once in the winter)

lwilliams1922

I'm currently wet bunning but I think twist are best for my hair.

The bun keeps my ends moist and protected but I think the twists is better for my whole head.

scarcity21

This happened to me in September after 2+ years doing the C&G technique:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: so 2009 I will try as hard as I can not to do extension braids...i may try wigs/weaves with only my hair conrowed underneath but with no extensions added:nono:

I think buns or pinups. I think braids/kinky twist, etc give me mixed results, my hair will grow but im always having to cut the ends from damage. Or when my hair was shorter i would wear a wig as a protective style.

beans4reezy

This happened to me in September after 2+ years doing the C&G technique:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: so 2009 I will try as hard as I can not to do extension braids...i may try wigs/weaves with only my hair conrowed underneath but with no extensions added:nono:

Dido! My hair line is paying the price for years of braiding with extensions. Thank goodness I found LCHF and Cathy Howse's book. I am nursing my hair line back to health and growing my hair without extensions!!! Its been four months (my longest stretch w/o braids in about 10 years...no really) and I am still going strong! No more extensions as a protective style, there are better ways to go that wont reward you with bald spots.

girlyprincess23

My hair breaks less/I retain more wiiiiitttthh
Cornrows. Braids. ECT.

Things were im not touching my hair at all. Something like a bun or french braid would be good too expect the fact that i will take those down and play in my hair whenever im bored.

DITTO. I get the best growth and retention with some sort of braids with kanekalon hair. I don't know why but kanekalon hair in a hive with a sew in or cornrows give me the best growth and retention

LivingDol1

i voted for braids. i wore them for 6 or 7 years and saw tremendous growth. i would take breaks every now and then and trim my hair or wear a partial weave(never again, btw). i did have one sensitive spot after wearing the braids for so long, near my right temple, at the hair line. but since i've been wearing my hair relaxed (3 months almost) i've noticed that the hair there is getting thicker again.

like a previous poster said, there was little manipulation with my hair on a day to day basis. i put oil on my scalp and washed my hair once a week.

kjeneen

cornrolls under a half wig got me started, but now I'm praying that bunning will take me the rest of the way. I've just gotta get this daily moisturizing regimen down.

MissMeWithThatIsh

Cornrows under wigs... I've been doing this for a year and some change and I went from bangs above the eyebrow to chin length and shoulder length to grazing APL... and that's with several random trims.

RedVelvet310

I say braids... thats ALL I do to my hair. I wash, moisturize/seal with some shea butter (I used to put castor oil on top but I realized that shea butter was sufficient) put 6 or 7 medium sized braids in my hair and stick it under a half wig. I have been doing this since my hair was long enough to braid and I love it! It keeps my hair completely detangled until my next wash and my hair is fully protected. I checked my length today and my nape is so close to hitting APL I'm so excited. Braids all the way!