How often do you oil/grease your scalp?

How often do you oil/grease your scalp? And what oils do you use?

• 2 times a day

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Everyother day

Votes: 64 21.1%
  • Once a week

Votes: 64 21.1%
  • I never oil my scalp

Votes: 129 42.6%
  • Other

Votes: 36 11.9%

• Total voters

darkangel25

When I use MTG a few times a week, that's the only time oil touches my scalp. Otherwise, I just moisturize my strands.

Ms Kraft

Just like everyone's skin is different (some dry, some oily, some normal), I think the scalp is the same. Someone said earlier to think of the scalp as an extension of the face, and I agree. You would handle your face differently if it were oily compared to someone who would have dry skin on their face, right?

For me, I have dry skin all over. I have to moisturize everywhere, including my scalp. I also have to oil everywhere so I retain that moisture, including my scalp. I have learned, however, I don't need to pile on any product for results. A little dab a do ya is my motto:lol:. I use WonderGro Pure Sulfur oil after every shampoo. It's extremely light and I don't use much, but it has helped tremendously with my shedding since adding this step to my routine.

Now my niece, on the other hand, if I could bottle her, she could be her own type of oil because she produces so much. :lachen: Now her hair started growing so much better when she started washing her hair regularly and eliminated oiling her scalp completely.

I think it's just different for everyone. HTH

firecracker

Back in 02 when I had horrid dandruff which I'm sure was caused by those damn Bronx Dominicians not rinsing my relaxer. Hair was plaster to my scalp:eek: . I started oiling my scalp with De Sharme light conditioner hair creme. It zapped that dry scalp problem within a month. My bush thrives on De Sharme.

ladytq

I use mtg 2x week on scalp for growth aid purpose only. My scalp is naturally oil, otherwise I don't need any oil/grease.

chayil0427

MizaniMami said:
For me personally, I don't oil my scalp. I know my scalp productes it's own oils so I prefer to let it do it's thang. When I use to grease my scalp I had dandruff something serious!

What she said...

Ntrlmystik

I never every greased my scalp regularly before. This month I bought Glovers medicated w/ salicylic acid and sulfer because I have an awful case of sebhorrea and salicylic acid helps with that. I have been applying it once to twice daily and so far there aren't any signs of the dry patches I get regardless of anything I use. This and washing my hair every three to five days seems to be doing the trick. I will see how well this works in a few months. Its much better than applying topical steroids.

Last edited:

InnerSoul

I do not oil my scalp daily b/c it clogs pores and causes the itchies...now there are times when my hair products do get on the scalp unintentionally but I don't just grease my scalp on purpose...well unless it's relaxer application time..then I do put vaseline on my scalp for a base! :)

Last edited:

*Michelle*

I don't use grease on any part of my hair. I don't oil my scalp either, haven't for many years. I do use oils but not when I wear my hair down.

NuMe2004

I stopped oiling my scalp a long time ago because it was weighing my hair down too much. That and I try to workout regularly, so the sweat plus the oil was getting a little gross. Although my scalp does get dry, I wash my hair frequently (once, sometimes twice a week), so all the flakes get washed away pretty easily :).

PinkSkates

I don't oil or grease my scalp; I don't put anything on my scalp and its doing just fine. I believe in keeping my scalp clean and clog-free.

jazzyto

I normally dont grease my scalp when I wear my hair down but I have noticed that when I wear braids, my scalp seems drier and itchy and using a natural oil helps. I'm guessing because the scalp is more exposed with braids and dries out faster?

butterfly3582

I do think some of our scalp needs help with moisture. Especially if your hair cannot handle daily washes. You should be careful not to put any ingredients like petroleum that will just sit on your scalp. I think products like Emu oil, Rose mary oil, Aloe vera and Shea butter which your scalp can actually absorb will help. You still need frequent washes not to accumulte product build up.

One thing that will slow growth is dry scalp. In fact, I think many topical products that claim to promote growth does nothing more than hydrate the scalp which is an optimal enviroment for hair growth.

My theory is, if you need to hydrate your skin even after taking showers daily, why not your scalp? Some people skin excrete enough oil not to be ashy as others just like some people's scalp excete enough oil not to need extra help. You should know where you fall.

ITA. I usually use tea tree oil or coconut oil. Nothing with mineral oil or peterolum(sp)

I love the ashy point. It is so true. I know my skin does not produce enough oil or mositure (especially) in the winter to go with out some lotion.

my-my

I don't oil my scalp. The only thing worse that buildup on my scalp is oily buildup. I wash my hair weekly, if I go longer than that my hair and scalp gets dry. My hair is growing fine, so not oiling my scalp is working for me.

MangaManiac

I try to oil my scalp daily or at the very least every other day. I know a lot of people say it's bad and it's like letting dirt build up from not washing your hair, but I don't think it's the same at all.

Most of the hair oils that are out there are going to provide nutrients to and moisture for your scalp, which you otherwise aren't getting from just normal sebum. And if you're worried about build up you just need to wash or do a clarifying rinse more frequently.

However, my scalp is dry and hungry whereas someone else could have a scalp that's producing everything it needs. It all depends on what works for you.

I will say this: moisturize and oil your ends nightly no matter what!!! A little "Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship - Split end repair" and EVOO that's been heated in the microwave for 20 seconds will give ANYONE tons of retention and little or no split ends. A little goes a long way so don't worry about your hair being too oily! ;)

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I apply a mix of MN, sulfur, and oil to my scalp and massage nightly. My usually dry scalp has been flake free since I began doing this, and I get a increase in growth as well.

Neith

I don't oil or grease my scalp either :nono: I think oil and grease only add to the problem of dry, flaky scalp. Dry things need to be hydrated, so I rely on the washing and conditioning aspects of my regimen to hydrate my scalp. I look at the scalp as an extension of the face. Just as pores can become clogged on the face, the follicles of the hair can experience the same type of obstruction if products are placed directly on it-- especially heavy oils and greases.

The scalp produces its own perfect oil, sebum, and does not need help from us via topical products. The problem of dry, flaky scalp is only aggravated by the addition of products onto the scalp skin. It ends up creating a vicious cycle of dryness. The scalp will produce less sebum to compensate for the products you are putting on it. And without this constant, even production of sebum-- the function of the scalp is thrown off balance. Dandruff and dryness return from the lack of sebum production-- and then you put more stuff on the scalp thinking this will help. Then again, the scalp cuts back on sebum and dryness returns. The scalp, like any other skin needs to be able to respirate (perspire) etc. With heavy concoctions on the scalp clogging the pores, an unhealthy environment for growth is created and the function of the scalp is hindered form operating at its optimal levels. I've found that the best way to hydrate the scalp is simply through frequent washing and conditioning. This keeps the scalp skin clear of any obstructing clutter and keeps it moisturized and supple.

I saw this picture online and saved it back in the day, and it reminds me why it seems best to keep things off of the scalp.

The stuff seen clogging the pore here is actually excess sebum! So imagine if the scalps "perfect" oil can clog it up when its left on the scalp in excess, what a coating of a thicker oil product will do? :perplexed There are people who grease their scalps daily with hair to the floor, so the hair and scalp will still thrive-- but I think conditions are optimal when the scalp is left to function on its own.

Yeah, that looks gross :lol:

I'm one of those people with dry skin that doesn't produce much oil. I have to use oil on my skin. On my scalp is optional, but I do think it helps. For me and I guess other people like me, the oil literally absorbs into my skin/scalp. Oil is very good for my skin, I absolutely NEED it.

I wouldn't do it if it left me oily or left build up. Everyone has different skin types :yep: