How do you use your products?

notsomebody

I guess I am trying to find people with hair as odd as mine. The majority of products that I use, I use while my hair is wet. I find that there are very few things I can put on my hair while its dry that actually gets absorbed into my hair.
There are a couple of things from the profective line (breakfree, healthy ends, root therapy?) but even those I put on and then tie my hair up and let it absorb over night. Oils, I have to use on wet hair or it just sits there. Unless I apply jojoba or evoo before wrapping up my hair and getting in the shower.

Products that contain mineral oil sit there regardless of whether my hair is wet or dry. I guess I am trying to find out how many of you use the majority of your products on your hair when it is wet versus how many of you use them when it is dry.
Also, if you have this problem and have found products that absorb well in your hair while it is dry please share.
See, my biggest pet peeve is when I run my fingers through my hair and stuff (i.e. product) comes off on my hands. It seems pointless for me to have long hair if I can't touch it, or let my fiance run his hands through it to massage my scalp.

tc_333

I have very dry hair and I also found it best to use products when my hair is wet.

Otherwise, for my dry hair, I'll use some creamy leave-in first (like Nexxus Humectress or PM The Conditioner) to get my hair damp, then I'll seal it with some oil, then I put my scarf on for the night.

Kitkat

Like TC33, my hair is also very dry. I use products when my hair is wet and dry. I use Wild Growth oil; this is a great moisturizer. Carrot Oil and Kiehl's with Silk Groom are also good. All three of these products work very well with wet and dry hair. I just bought some Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer last night (the PJ in me couldn't be stopped!!), and that seems to work well on dry hair also. Can't wait to try it after my next shampoo.

tc_333

KitKat is right,

Wild growth oil is amazing! KitKat, please keep us posted on the Dudley creme, I might have to try it!!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

T

H

HoneyRockette

I can't use oil either for the same reason as you. It just kind of sits there collecting dust (literally). I have tried WGO on my hair both wet and dry but I can still feel it and smell it. I use all of my products on wet hair. That way it dries strong, soft and shiny. My fav is Biosythesis leave in which is absolutely amazing on my wet hair. It says on the bottle that I can use it on dry hair but it doesn't have the same effect.

Kitkat

Absolutely, T!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Dudley's apparently has some good products, and is highly recommended by Shamboosie. Of course, I wanted to go ballistic and buy everything in the line (Deluxe Shampoo, Hair Rebuilder, Creme Press, etc), but I had to draw the line somewhere. I am extremely practical and can curb my spending on most things, but I totally lose it when I walk into a beauty supply store! I need boundaries, badly!!

Tracy

Great question...

I struggle with this stuff too. My hair is also not happy about topical products applied while dry but it also seems to have an issue with TOO much stuff put on the hair before I rollerset while it's wet. Cuz then the rollerset comes out crispy. Or gummy. Or sticky. Or flaky.

None of those results are cute to me /images/graemlins/grin.gif so I have this awful catholic guilt type good angel/bad angel conversation with myself almost every day about the AMOUNT of product I apply.

I apply so little of everything that I wonder if it does any good. WIth moisturizers no more than a dime sized amount - while either wet or dry. The leave ins I like are specifically chosen to compensate for what I feel I might be missing by moisturizing liberally and often. I only do it every other day or so and when I do I always mix a cream moisturizer (Dudley's Moisture Retainer, VO5 Sheer Hairdressing, John Freida's Secret Weapon and now Fantasia's Shine Cream) with some shine serum (Avon Dry Ends Serum, Fantasia Balm - the Polisher, or Smooth and Shine Light Serum) for application to my ends. And I always apply this kind of stuff in the morning as opposed to the evening. Because I like it to only get on my ends and when I apply these at night and then wrap I feel like I'm getting it all over the place - including my scalp which is already oily.

Anyway - I'm rambling. I apply sparingly, go heavy on the leave ins and easy on the moisturizer and always dilute with silicone. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

sweetcocoa

Your hair is not odd. Since I found the forums online I've learned(through trial and error) that all the oils and products I was using always seem to work better on wet hair.