How do you tone down brassy highlights

Kiadodie

I have these highlights on my hair that are supposed to be brown but they turn brassy red. How do I tone them down. I know I've read somewhere the Ash colors tone down reddish tones. I'm just scared to put anything else on my hair on top of the highlights since I just got them last week.
Any suggestions on any hair colors or products to put over the brassy highlights to tone it down????

G

Bump is when you want to move a thread back up that has gone down.

As far as the brassiness, consider trying a rinse. If the hair is already light, it isn't that difficult to add a temporary color on top. Since they are red (what shade?) you may want to consider a brown that is darker than the tone of red that you currently have for fuller coverage. A lighter brown may also tone down the red some, but there may still be a few hints of it, perhaps in sun light.

But also remember that the rinses are temporary, so eventually it'll wash out. I had the same problem with my hair color (sunset brown) and since I am a brown skinned, the brassiness wasn't matching that well with my complexion. But when the roots grew it, it helped quite a bit, and now, the colors are nice. But since my hair is already light (not the roots), I can simply put a rinse or a semi-permanent over it and call it a day! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

adrienne0914

i wish i could help, but i've never colored my hair. hopefully tracy and some of the other color girls /images/graemlins/smile.gif will see this and post.

adrienne

MSCHICHI

When I was dying my hair blonde, I would try to find an ash tone, or something with a "drab" undertone like a green or violet.

Whenever you want brown hightlights, and don't want to have any red, you have to do a double process. There is a natural red stage in brown hair, so it would go something like this :brown, red, orange, then blonde. You would have to lift it all the way to the blonde stage, then put a brown color over that.

For now, I would try a color rinse (not the semi-permanent ones), which is pretty much colored water, and harmless as far as I know. These rinse completely out at your next shampoo. The brand I know best is Fanciful. Get one of the brown tones, that is the most like what you want. This won't, however, be able to take the red tones out. You will probably have to get a slightly darker brown rinse to cover the highlights. The only other thing about these temporary rinses, is that they rub off and can even flake off, very easily. So look out if it rains, because it will run like crazy.

Maybe Tracy will recommend a Colorshine, though I can't tell you too much about them, as I haven't used them.

HTH

Tracy

Kia,

Hey babe...you are correct - ash tones (or cooler tones) will counteract redness in your hair. You could use a rinse - with highlights I would even recommend it. You'll have to reapply it but with highlights this is the dafest way to tone them.

You could apply a longerlasting semipermanent like L'Oreal Casting Colorspa and Clairol Natural Instincts - but that could cause damage - I would do it on my hair - but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. I know how my hair tolerates color is why. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Adore, Jazzing and Sebastian are all great choices. Sebastian will last the longest of these. Try to ensure whatever you choose does not have a golden or red base and you should be fine. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good Luck.....

Kiadodie

Thanks all for the info. I bought a Loreal color in Light Ash Brown. I think that should do the trick. It's a premanent color but I think I'll be ok, especially now since i'm not relaxing anymore. I'll just have to keep moisurizing...

Thanks again.

G

Bumping this for help.

I colored my hair this summer with the Hi Rez color by Soft Sheen carson. It was an ok color but it bleeds badly. Well, I then wanted a few more highlights so I bought some Drug Store brand in light ash blonde knowing it wasn't going to lift to that color but close. However, it lifted to an ugly brassy mess.

Someone posted something about this before. Help me. /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

hOnii

use a green toner. that will neautralize the brassiness of the red and turn it a warm brown.

lunalight7

kia, I have highlights and I used an ash blonde rinse by Clairol's Beautiful Collection. My stylist used heat w/ it and it lasted for about 4 washes. I LOVED the results! Tracy helped my out w/ this. Good luck w/ your choice...