Calling all True 4Bs! Detangler that REALLY works?

mspm

Hi Ladies,

I'm a newbie and I love this board! I started using a homemade MTG oil (thanks Nurse) and the NG is getting unmanageable. I'm almost 8 weeks post-relaxer but I usually stretch to 13 weeks (my hair grows slowly). Last wash I used CON (green) poo then Motions Moisture Plus cond (under dryer) followed by Ojon (shea butter) cond. Afterwards I used Just for Me detangler along with S curl, NTM leave-in and black castor - still tangles in the back! Also, the scarf method is no long keeping my hair flat (I baggy under a phony pony). I've read many posts but I need to know what really works for the true 4Bs (the kind of hair that loves to lock up :)!

Thanks and God bless!

MizAvalon

I use Silicon Mix conditioner. I saturate my hair with it and only comb my hair in the shower with the water running down over it. Works like a charm. No matting, no tangling.

I am 17 weeks post relaxer and will be going to 26 weeks.

janeemat

Yep! Silicone Mix it is. I would also mix it with 10 en 1 and go under the dryer for 20. Rinse and comb out under running water. This got me through a 12 wk stretch.

Herbal Essences Break's Over, Drama Clean, and Hello Hydration all work to get my hair detangled. No matter what conditioner I deep condition with, I always rinse with one of those three(I love their scents). The trick is to apply them to dripping-wet hair, in the shower. I leave them on for 1-2 minutes then rinse out. The comb just glides through my hair. Another tip is not to towel-dry until after you have detangled. It makes such a big difference. HTH

caramelty

If you were in Michigan I would say Salon Plus. This product makes my hair so manageable. I have some thick 4b-z on my head. I haven't had a relaxer in about 4 months and I can wash my hair and put this conditioner on and it feels as if I just relaxed. Maybe they do sale it in other states I just know the company is based out of Detroit and alot of people never heard of it.

nelli711

Mastercuts C-Pak Treatment (its a conditioner), AO Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner and Design Line Olive Oil Masque. They all have great slip and they make my hair so soft.

LocksOfLuV

MizAvalon said:
I use Silicon Mix conditioner. I saturate my hair with it and only comb my hair in the shower with the water running down over it. Works like a charm. No matting, no tangling.

I am 17 weeks post relaxer and will be going to 26 weeks.

i am going to cosign you.

also biolage daily leave-in spray is excellent as a leave-in detangler.

gymfreak336

nelli711 said:
Mastercuts C-Pak Treatment (its a conditioner), AO Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner and Design Line Olive Oil Masque. They all have great slip and they make my hair so soft.

I second the AO Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner

nycutiepie

I started detangling before I shampoo and that helps to cut down tangles. Also, I prepoo with conditioner and oils and wash my hair in braids. However, I have to agree with MizzAvalon that Silicon Mix leaves you tangle free. My hair is 4z in parts of the back and I'm over 16+ weeks.

OT - MizzAvalon - I'm gonna pm you because I need to hear what you plan on doing to go to 26 weeks.

Chinagem

I consider myself to be about a 4b natural and the Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion works very well for me.

Shawnee66

Chinagem said:
I consider myself to be about a 4b natural and the Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion works very well for me.

I love, love, love Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion. I'm a 4b/z natural and this is the only thing I found that detangles my hair. I wish I knew about this product when I was transitioning.

nycutiepie

I have the Kids Organic but I feel like it leaves relaxed hair kind of coated and sticky. It was discussed in another thread.

texasgrl

Silicon mix is very good. It is my secret weapon :sekret: for those last couple of weeks in the stretch. Atone reconstructor has crazy slip unlike anything I have EVER seen:eek: . Also detangling under the flow of the shower works very well as well as washing in braids to prevent tangles in the first place.HTH

mspm

Ladies,

Thanks SO much for all the advice! I'll be on the hunt for some Silicon Mix and Honeysuckle Rose. Meanwhile, I have a question about technique. I wear a phony pony over a baggie. When should I comb/detangle?
  1. Before washing and put in 4 braids
  2. In the shower
  3. When I put in my leave-in/moisturizer
Thanks again!

Brownie518

You could try doing a quick rinse after your conditioner with HE Dangerously Straight or Pantene Smooth & Sleek conditioner. I'm trying to stretch right now and I used HE DS the other day and last night I did a final rinse with Elucence MB con and the comb glided through each time.

CAPlush

You should detangle with your shower comb in the shower, with water running through your hair. I find that I don't need any special products when I do this pretty much any good quality conditioner works.

mspm

Thanks again ladies! I'm heading for the shower now and will detangle under the water! :)

LadyJ76

nelli711 said:

I have to co-sign on the Mastercuts C-Pak Treatment. I just used this the other day on my 5wks post hair (the ng is extremely dense and kinky/nappy.) I washed w/ Elucence shamp and sat for 30 min under the hard hat dryer w/ a plastic cap on my head. I couldn't believe how soft my hair felt! It is usually so hard to detangle my hair at this point and this made a huge difference. Big thanks for this tip Nelli!

sunshinelady

I just went back to the old school and mixed up some of Johnson's "No More Tangles" spray detangler with some of my other leave-in and it is great. Cost me $2.99 I think. HTH

wheezy807

chestnutblonde said:
Giovanni Direct Leave In-- makes your hair smooth, untangled, and manageable.

I cannot find that! I'm here in chicago, i've tried GNC, Sallys, and ULTA.
Where is that located? Anyone know? TIA

wheezy807 said:
I cannot find that! I'm here in chicago, i've tried GNC, Sallys, and ULTA.
Where is that located? Anyone know? TIA

I've also seen Giovanni Direct Leave-in at Super Stop & Shop. They have a pretty big selection of haircare items.

filthyfresh

I'm 4a/4b relaxed and Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangler works for me. Also, Dove Sheer Moisture Leave-In Spray works well for me.