Poll: Actual question fr. a Fantasia Brand Manager

Tracy

I was in Ray's Beauty Supply in NYC and there was a woman there from Fantasia (the makers of the IC products) handing out samples of their New Tea Tree line (which I'll try tonight) and we started talking hair. I think the company is tossing around ideas for new products and they are trying to decide beyween an oil sheen product with either Shea Butter or Tea Tree Oil as the featured ingredient (which, with Fantasia, usually means there'd be enough of the actual ingredient to justify featuring it /images/graemlins/smile.gif ). Based on my hair and what I know about products and what I use them for - I told her I'd rather see a Shea Butter (and possibly Olive Oil - her suggestion - which I indicated was a great idea, IMO, based on our feelings about it as a group) product in oil sheen form than Tea Tree. My reason was that Tea Tree is more beneficial for the scalp (as far as I know) than the actual hair strands and that Shea Butter - being a moisturizing/lubricating ingredient - would be better suited to application on the hair itself. I said the added Olive Oil (an ingredient she mentioned as an afterthought as we were conversing) would be a wonderful choice as well. But this is just my opinion and I indicated that I would come to the site to ask you ladies....

So I wanted to get some feedback from the grassroots experts I know and love /images/graemlins/grin.gif ...

Which ingredient would you prefer to see in an Oil Sheen product - Tea Tree Oil? or Shea Butter? or Shea Butter AND Olive Oil? And why?

I'd like to email her the thread to see if we can't get some say in the hair care industry on what we'll use and love as consumers... /images/graemlins/smile.gif. We all know how much we treasure our hair and it's health, and the products we use and the ingredients in them are our tools in this quest. And when we DON'T like the ingredients we certainly let eachother know about it! So as my Mama always said - if you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Ok - maybe it's not that deep /images/graemlins/tongue.gif but if we can impact their decision I'd love to be able to begin that trend in the haircare industry...

Let's respond to her if we can... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

iris

I would rather see the shea butter and olive oil combo. Hair Sheen Spray is used to moisturize/lubricate the hair shaft and not the scalp. For the scalp, if they were to make a product featuring tea tree oil as the main ingredient, which btw, I think they do, I would definately purchase it. BTW, a big THANK YOU TO YOU TRACY /images/graemlins/grin.gif
For turning me on to the Fantasia Line. They are Baaddd, just baaddd!!!!!!!! I use their Hair Strengthener Treatment(triple strength. Which includes aloe, keratin, vitamins, and silk protein), hair creme polisher with aloe, their leave-in moisturizer hair and scalp treatment with aloe complex, and their hair polisher with aloe (the one that looks like a gel.) Girl, I can sing their praises all the day long! Thanks for the recommendation you gave for the Fantasia Line. I can tell from the first use, how these products are truly benefitting my scalp and hair /images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="red">Iris</font color>

CICI24

olive oil and shea butter really do sound good. But I hope they don't add alcohol or mineral oil to the products. I hope they keep it as natural as possible.

Nyambura

surfer girl
I second what Cici said. I would only add that I love the moisturizing qualities of pure shea butter. Olive oil has moisturizing properties as well and also lends sheen to the hair.

Thank you, Tracy, for providing us with an opportunity to possibly help improve a product. /images/graemlins/smile.gif The bonus is that it would not only help our members but a lot of women consumers looking for a beneficial solution to their hair care problems. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

adrienne0914

definitely the shea butter and olive oil. ditto to what CiCi said. please don't toss in just any old thing to fill the bottle up. we are educated consumers and will pass up products with the wrong ingredients...

adrienne

free2bme

What's up Tracy! I see you were at Ray's again! Your PJism may now potentially lead us to a product that will cure us all of PJism!!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif My fingers are crossed!

Tracy

Great responses guys - sounds like we're on the same page - I thought we'd be....

Anyone else? Please - I'd really like to give her a strong response so she sees that consumers really DO care and that if you give what we want we'll buy it. I love that CICI mentioned about those other products not being included. I'm sure they will be suprised that we are so knowledgeable about what works and what doesn't (generally speaking of course).

Kitkat

I've never used Tea Tree oil, but I would prefer a product with shea butter and olive oil. FYI, I went to Ray's Beauty Supply today during lunch. Darn, that place is addictive!!! I swear, that store is bad for people trying to combat PJism!!! I picked up all kinds of things before I calmed down, took a deep breath, focused, then returned 3/4 of the products to the shelves &amp; stuck to what I originally intended to buy (Motions Leave in Conditioner, wire rollers and Sebastians Colorshines). You feel like a kid in a candy store there.

notsomebody

Re: Poll: Actual question fr. a Fantasia Brand Man

This is a great thread. The reason I stopped buying so many of the fantasia products was because of their attachment to mineral oil. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they are starting to go in the other direction. I would love to have an oil sheen that is made from olive oil and possibly castor or jojoba, and does not contain mineral oil, alcohol, or any other drying agents. I haven't ever used shea butter so I really can't coment on it. I have wanted to try it and would love it if they had a pomade made from shea butter and natural oils - no petrolatum please.
I love their hair strengthener (I was shocked to see that it actually had biotin and b-vitamins in it- no wonder my hair responds so well to it). I think if they took a much more natural approach they would totally dominate the black hair care product industry. Its obvious that we are willing to spend the money for quality products and its great to see that companies are trying to actually fill the need.

Jenai

I would have to also vote for the shea butter/olive oil combo. Several women on this board (myself included) use both of these ingredients in homemade hair recipes, conditioners, etc. and can testify about the benefits. If Fantasia would come out with a product that featured both of these ingredients and no mineral oil, petroleum, drying alcohols, then they would have a best seller. Tea Tree Oil is good for the scalp but just doesn't seem to do a lot to moisturize or condition the hair -- it doesn't provide enough "slip" IMO.

BlkMane

Tracy-

Thanks for taking the initiative on this! If only we could bring back Salon Selectives Loosely Defined!! LOL [BTW- I emailed Helene Curtis and my email was RETURNED!]

Back to the topic....if I had to choose I would definitely vote for the Olive Oil/Shea Butter combo over the Tea Tree Oil because as others have stated Tea Tree Oil is not really known as a moisturizer for hair. Jojoba Oil/Shea butter would be my preference though since Jojoba Oil is the oil closest to hair's natural oils (sebum). Personally, I don't care for Olive Oil as I find it a tad bit too heavy.

If Fantasia were to produce a hair sheen with Shea Butter and Olive Oil with a lot of other goodies in it (e.g. Panthenol, Biotin, Rosemary extract, Sage, etc.) I would definitely try it.

uniquev11

I would like to see shea butter, olive oil, and any other moisturizing essential oil in the product.
I love what shea butter does for my hair.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
Ha!
I have nothing new to add, just going to sum up what the poll is indicating: we want shea butter/olive oil, WITHOUT mineral oil additives. /images/graemlins/wink.gif