porosity - the forgotten step

are you aware of the pH of your products? you can select more than one option.

• I am aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 48 13.1%
  • I am not aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 128 34.9%
  • I have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I do not have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I have no clue what you're talking about

Votes: 119 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mo96

I just wanted to add that this was such a helpful thread. I really do think that RC is what's missing from my regimen! Thanks, ladies!!! :grin:

jeabai

This is worth understanding because if you get this down you will have smooth, shinny, moisturized non-tangling hair no matter if you are a 1a hair type or a 4z. This is important. I'm following the Joicio model and doing my PC right after shampooing and again at final rinse after DCing in some cases. I also make sure to buy products that are pH balanced for hair.

How often do you do this?

pureebony

This thread started out talking about Roux Porosity Control. As far as I know, that's the original product and it's exceptionally good. I personally do not know of others whose entire remit is to control porosity. You can get it at Sally's Beauty Supply.

Hope this Helps....

cj

Thanks hon, only want to know if there are any other good ones out there that do the whole pc thing.

deusa80

I'm still new enough to think sealing and making the cuticle lie flat are the same thing. Can any veterans help me understand the difference between what PC does and "sealing" the cuticle means?

Thanks so much, and thanks for this question, DEUSA80!

cj

That's a good question! I'm still trying to get this down...
I just checked out sallys.com description and this is what it says about PC. I assume closing and sealing the cuticle are the same thing:ohwell: :

• Leaves hair natural looking, vibrant, manageable
  • Moisturizes, detangles, lusterizes
  • Helps create more uniform color, perm and relaxer results
  • Makes hair feel smooth and closes the cuticle
Obtain even coloring results and maintain healthy hair. Your hair will look naturally vibrant and tangle-free. Great to use before and after chemical treatments and will close the cuticle and ensure healthier, shinier hair.

ACEA

I really appreciate it this post. I've been told my hair is "porous" by stylists, but never really knew what was meant by it. This thread defined the term for me. Now, I plan on taking steps towards preserving my hair's porosity.

newflowers

The difference between closing and sealing - remember the pics on the first page? Closing is using an acidifying product to make the cuticles lie flat; sealing is using an oil based product to prevent/slow evaporation of the moisture in the hair shaft.

Fhrizzball

Can you use this with a protein treatment? I'm only asking this because when my braids comes out I'll like to try this. I figured I would 'poo, do my protein treatment, do the PC, and then do a moisture dc. Would that work?

rainbowknots

ok, I was supposed to try the ACV rinse yesterday but I was too lazy to go to the grocery store. Soooo, I'm definitely going to do is this weekend, but my only problem is I'm trying Hairveda Methi Sativa this weekend also (I heard it's not a good idea to do more than 1 experiment in 1 wash). I guess my question is, does anyone know if using an ACV rinse after a protein treatment will have any adverse effects. Stupid question I know...sorry. Or should I just wait until my next wash to attempt the ACV rinse? I definitely can't hold off on the protein because I'm getting relaxed in 2 weeks.

tgrowe

I definitely love the Roux porosity control. It has made a difference in my hair. At first I was applying it AFTER my DC and my hair felt like, "UGH!!" I started to put it in my graveyard.Then Sqzbly1908 suggested I apply it before my DC and it made all the world of a difference. I wonder how my dd's hair would respond to it? Hmm....

AtlantaJJ

I definitely love the Roux porosity control. It has made a difference in my hair. At first I was applying it AFTER my DC and my hair felt like, "UGH!!" I started to put it in my graveyard.Then Sqzbly1908 suggested I apply it before my DC and it made all the world of a difference. I wonder how my dd's hair would respond to it? Hmm....
This is the same method as Joico's 17 Minute Miracle, you do the PC step right before the DC treatments :yep: That's the method I will follow when I use it from now on.

Nkiru

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to thanks for this post. It has made all the difference in my hair. This was the step I was missing and I had no clue about porosity. Thanks again...:grin:

newflowers

Someone asked about the difference between closing and sealing - words that can be synonyms. Closing the cuticle happens when you lower the pH of the hair strands which results is smoother, shinier hair that can hold on to the goodies you supply because those goodies are "locked" inside the strand. Sealing is using an oil based product to prevent evaporation of moisture, lubricate the strands, and is essentially a measure of protect against the elements.

ETA - You have no idea how happy I am that this thread has been able to help so many of you, especially after all of the help I've recevied over the last few years.

Vonnieluvs08

I love this thread!!:yay:

It has helped me immensely in the last 2 weeks. I started doing ACV rinses every other wash day and that was okay. I've since learned you are supposed to leave the ACV in (I was rinsing it out).:wallbash:

I started using the Porosity Control and I find it to be fabulous!!! I'm going to start using it before my DC.

How often should you use ACV or PC? Is using it 1x a week too much?
I put my hair in braids (my own hair no xtra) should I still use ACV or PC?
TIA
Keep the info coming ladies...

MuslimahTresses

I have the poo and conditoner but I dont know when to use the shampoo. Am I supose to use it in place of my normal shampoo or just use it whan I relax?

Ivy Santolina

I just recently implemented ACV rinses (3 weeks) as my final rinse and my hair loves it. The effect has been cumulative. Because it's so cold I only wash, DC then ACV rinse once a week. The first time my hair was less frizzy. The second time a little frizzy. And this last time, no frizz at all. Also, this last week, my hair responded the best to my moisturizing DC then ever before. I'm going to continue to ACV rinse after each time I clean my hair.

I have a porosity control conditioner but I only use it when I texlax my hair. I'm always impressed about the good ideas I see on this forum. Thanks AtlantaJJ. It never occurred to me to use a PC before a DC. I'm going to try it next Sunday.

pureebony

Ok ladies used the roux p control after my deep condition and my hair was.... not like i expected it to be, should i apply itin my hair and then rinse then apply my d conditioner?

Xavier

I'm relaxing this weekend. I have some Roux porosity control. What step of the relaxing process should I be using this conditioner. Before neutralizing? After neutralizing but before deep conditioning? HELP PLEASE...

CHECKMATE!

^^I say after the neutralizing shampoo :yep: this is how i use mine in order: realxer,rince,Aphogee 2min reconstr.,rinse,neutralizing shampoo,rinse,PC shampoo,rinse,CON shampoo,rinse,then DC :)

Prose Princess

I'm so glad I finally looked in this thread because I've been having the problems you speak of--my hair will be so soft and moisturized as soon as I take off my rollers, but within about 6 hours or so it's dry as a bone. I already have the PC conditioner, but I was wondering if it is necessary to use shampoo with PC to reap the benefits? My hair hates shampoo. :nono:

newflowers

I'm so glad I finally looked in this thread because I've been having the problems you speak of--my hair will be so soft and moisturized as soon as I take off my rollers, but within about 6 hours or so it's dry as a bone. I already have the PC conditioner, but I was wondering if it is necessary to use shampoo with PC to reap the benefits? My hair hates shampoo. :nono:

While I imagine that using both the shampoo and conditioner would be beneficial, but I've only used the conditioner to great benefit. So my answer is no, you don't need to use both.

tgrowe

Hey guys, wanted to add that I applied to Roux porosity control conditioner (just enough to dampen but not over-wet my hair) to my hair before applying my SE Mild Lye Relaxer mixed with oil and my results were fantastic.