Is it too hot to wear weaves and wigs in the summer?

Tiye

OMG after not wearing a wig an over a year, I decided I was going to wear one for the next 3 weeks. So Wednesday I wore my wig to work followed by an hour of Cardio at the gym. It was already hot and working out with a wig on just made matters worse. I couldn't take it anymore; I snatched the wig off in the car before leaving the gym. I can’t do it. It's too hot in Florida right now.

I'm gonna see if I can have some fun with some wigs this summer. I'm used to living with my own big, hot, hair that I'll be cutting back anyway so I don't think it will make too much of a difference. I'll just have more style options. Keep in mind women wear wigs and weaves in places where they don't even have winters - i.e. Africa and the Caribbean so it can be done. I must say Youtube is great for the wig industry - now they're reeling in ppl like me who were never even interested before. smh. I wouldn't work out in a wig though. Take it off and put on a scarf if you're working out in public.

Distorted Barbie

Nope...I've been wearing the Mommy wig....yes these were taken on the same day....i eat too much lol

Attachments

• DSCN0355.jpg
    DSCN0355.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN0342.jpg
    DSCN0342.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 38

Aireen

Wow, I don't know how you ladies that wear wigs and weaves do because for me it's even too hot to leave my own hair down and it's only APL. Kudos to y'all. :grin:

PlatinumBronze

Living my life like its Platinum!
I personally can not do it this summer. It's extremely hot here in the boot this year. I'm already having issues with my head sweating.

Eluv

I'm gonna see if I can have some fun with some wigs this summer. I'm used to living with my own big, hot, hair that I'll be cutting back anyway so I don't think it will make too much of a difference. I'll just have more style options. Keep in mind women wear wigs and weaves in places where they don't even have winters - i.e. Africa and the Caribbean so it can be done. I must say Youtube is great for the wig industry - now they're reeling in ppl like me who were never even interested before. smh. I wouldn't work out in a wig though. Take it off and put on a scarf if you're working out in public.

You got that right, especially if you're not use to wearing them. The funny thing is, I use to wear a wigs every day of the week and at the gym (trying to look cute around all those fine men). Since I haven't been wearing them in so long, it's something that takes getting use too again, especially in the heat.

africanqueen456

Girl, says who?? All weaves/wigs don't have to be long and hot. I live in Texas and weaves are my summer protective style.

Get yourself a bob weave like I do (or a wig)

it was cut from a longer weave that was like 10/12 inches halfway through the 3 months

How did you keep your hair from reverting in the heat??

merilusmims

I live in orlando its hot as h*** over here like 95 but with humidity like a 100 i have a sew in keep it in ponytail while long and throughout trim and shorten into a cute short cut later on

silenttullip

to me it's way to hot for wigs but I'm in Houston sooo... As for weaves I guess like a sew I think it's too hot for that too cause for me more heat means more sweat more sweat means more sebum and more sebum means more frequent washing, I've never had one but I've had the braiding weave I think braids or twist extensions rock in summer.

aa9746

I wore wigs 24/7 last summer and doing it again this summer. I like being able to get to my scalp for washing, conditioning, moisturizing, etc.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Yeah, I've been sporting a Wig this Summer too. I switched from my Satin Men's DuRag (Fall/Winter) to a Netted Wig Cap.:grin:

I douse my Hair with plenty of Moisture, a little spritz and I'm good to go in this heat. Sometimes, I have to remember it's there.:blush:

Kneechay

How did you keep your hair from reverting in the heat??

lol, i stay indoors!

but really, sometimes it doesnt revert and sometimes it does. i use a heat protectant that promises to block humidity, try finding one that does. i use smooth n sleek n shine serum. when it does revert, i ponytail it.

cmw45

As many of the ladies have said, it's a personal decision and it is up to you. I live in upstate NY and am natural (I had in a full head) and it was too hot for me with the weave and being as active as I am in the summer. I'm in kinky twist now and I LOVE them. I can't really see myself ever getting a weave again.

Yoshi3329

I was think of getting a of getting a weave/wig, but I thought, "it's too hot."

But I think I will try that bob. I have one in mind. Thanks ladies.

Now, whether it will be in a weave or wig form, has yet to be decided.

Kneechay

aww thank you, AfricanQueen. I dont get extremely hot too often and the weave I have in my hair doesn't sweat or feel bulky enough to be too hot during our Texas summers

bride91501

Girl, says who?? All weaves/wigs don't have to be long and hot. I live in Texas and weaves are my summer protective style.

Get yourself a bob weave like I do (or a wig)

Cute cut!! Since I started my LHHJ, I recently discovered shorter weaves and I'm in love! I have my hair like this now, except I have a chinese bang (cuz all my hair is sewed up). I'm in DC, and summers are hot as hell, but I've been good so far.

ladysaraii

I've started up wearing my wigs in the summer. Doesnt really bother me.

Although I do look forward to wearing them in winter. My head was nice and warm. :yep:

kami11213

Nope, not for me... right now I'm wearing Wags NC w/ a closure and have no problems... I live in NY and just came back from JA and I was good...
Here's a couple of pics I just posted of the hair...

ETA: I'll be weaved up all summer...

pringe

Personally for me yes. I sweat in my head something terrible and on a regular cool day I sweat if I have on a wig. If ur ok with it then wear it, its ur biz. Whatever works for u!

Right now I have in crochet braids and I'm cool and comfortable with them.

I have on a half wig right now, ready to go to a club with some friends. It's hot today, but I'm just gonna see how this goes. Thanks to everyone for replying :yep:

phynestone

I wear weaves during the summer and winter. It's never too hot for one. I've never had a chin length bob, though. Maybe I'll try it one day.

pureebony

I have a full head on, with a long fringe- i dont give two hoots what anyone else thinks unless its constructive. im all for friendly advice but not when its not asked.

I keep getting asked, are you not hot under all that hair....erh this piece is making my real hair grow so mind your own!!!

for real! :lol:

Nina_S

Nope, not for me... right now I'm wearing Wags NC w/ a closure and have no problems... I live in NY and just came back from JA and I was good...
Here's a couple of pics I just posted of the hair...

ETA: I'll be weaved up all summer...

Kami,

You and your hair look great! Congrats on the weightloss!

N~