FINE Hair and Sew Ins

Live.Laugh.Love

Ladies, I need some help. I am looking to start wearing sew ins as a protective style. The problem is I have fine hair that is relaxed and in the past when I would get sew ins they left my hair and ends very thin and I lost a Lot of hair after take down. The stylist who did those sew ins years ago made the braids very small and they were very tight.

So my question is for the ladies with fine hair who have successfully used sew I. To grow out there relaxed hair.

1. How long did you leave the sew In for?
2. Were the braids very tight and small? Or were the braids bigger and looser?
3. Do you use a net to avoid the weigh od the hair?
4. How do you detangle to make sure you do not lose a massive amount of hair?
5. How so you take care of your hair while the weave is in?
6. Anything else I should know?

Thanks!!!

irisak

Live.Laugh.Love said:
Ladies, I need some help. I am looking to start wearing sew ins as a protective style. The problem is I have fine hair that is relaxed and in the past when I would get sew ins they left my hair and ends very thin and I lost a Lot of hair after take down. The stylist who did those sew ins years ago made the braids very small and they were very tight.

So my question is for the ladies with fine hair who have successfully used sew I. To grow out there relaxed hair.

1. How long did you leave the sew In for? My hair grows very fast so I can only pull off 4-6 weeks in an install.
2. Were the braids very tight and small? Or were the braids bigger and looser? I braid securely instead of tight. No traction alopeacia for me lol.
3. Do you use a net to avoid the weigh od the hair? I always use a net and sew on the braids instead of the net.
4. How do you detangle to make sure you do not lose a massive amount of hair? During takedown I use avg, coconut oil and another random oil. I let it sit for 30-60 minutes and then detangle in small sections removing all shed hair before the water hits my hair.
5. How so you take care of your hair while the weave is in? It depends on the install. If it's curly I co-wash constantly and don't worry as much about moisturizing. If it's straight I use an applicator bottle to add my special blend.
6. Anything else I should know?
Be careful attaching the net to your perimeter. It's really easy to cause damage from attaching your tracks too tight in that same area.
Thanks!!!

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. *sigh* auto correct

Seamonster

I wanted to put out PYEA Protect your edges announcement. When I wore weaves, my hair would get much longer, but my leave out was chewed up, and the hair within the weave thinned out. My hair is fine, and I begin researching what was happening.

1. The weave hair is a much thicker stronger strand than my hair, so as I combed both densities my hair was snatched out.

try to finger comb your leave out, and get a good texture match so that you don't snatch out your hair like I did.

2. I did sew ins. The thread to sew my hair in cut through my hair like thinning shears, and thinned it out.

3. Fine Haired people that rely upon weaves as protective styles tend to have a lot of traction alopecia, so fine other protective styles to rotate with. Weaves are so glamorous, we like to stay in them, but change is good for fine hair.

Enjoy your weave, and rock it like a supermodel.
Both of these can be avoided, but wigs got me way faster thicker growth because I wasn't cutting my hair with needle and thread.

naturalfinally

Seamonster said:
I wanted to put out PYEA Protect your edges announcement. When I wore weaves, my hair would get much longer, but my leave out was chewed up, and the hair within the weave thinned out. My hair is fine, and I begin researching what was happening.

1. The weave hair is a much thicker stronger strand than my hair, so as I combed both densities my hair was snatched out.

try to finger comb your leave out, and get a good texture match so that you don't snatch out your hair like I did.

2. I did sew ins. The thread to sew my hair in cut through my hair like thinning shears, and thinned it out.

3. Fine Haired people that rely upon weaves as protective styles tend to have a lot of traction alopecia, so fine other protective styles to rotate with. Weaves are so glamorous, we like to stay in them, but change is good for fine hair.

Both of these can be avoided, but wigs got me way faster thicker growth because I wasn't cutting my hair with needle and thread.

All of this is SO TRUE!! Thanks. I can't wear weaves because everything you stated happened to me. Just saying.

Live.Laugh.Love

Seamonster said:

Thanks! I was afraid of this.lol... I was rationilozing why my hair broke off with sew ins and it looks like there are so many variables as to why fine hair can't handle sew ins. Maybe I should look into wigs, it would be alot easier and less tension on my hair. This is so confusing...lol

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess

1. How long did you leave the sew In for? 6-8 weeks for me. sometimes 10 but that's really too long
2. Were the braids very tight and small? Or were the braids bigger and looser? small braids but not tight at all
3. Do you use a net to avoid the weigh od the hair? yes. i always use a net and prefer it.
4. How do you detangle to make sure you do not lose a massive amount of hair? my stylist applies a moisturizer (oil based) and detangles gently to remove shed hair
5. How so you take care of your hair while the weave is in? shampoo once every 2 weeks and deep condition the braids. i shampoo the leave out hair weekly.
6. Anything else I should know? apply an oil based moisturizer or a light water based spritz moisturizer to your hair weekly to keep your hair lubricated.

Thanks!!!

i hope that helps. my hair is fine and has done well with weaves. i just need to remember to deep condition. don't wet my braids too often. and moisturize once a week..more than once a week causes matting for me.

Naturae

I have fine hair and sew ins are def. not for me. I agree...the weight of the sew-in hair is just too much tention. :/

ladyfay

It didn't work for me either. I would get my hair redone every 6 wks and washed every 2 wks faithfully at the salon and still had problems.I ended up getting 7 inches cut off after taking down the weave due to thin ends and breakage.

amwcah

I have thin strands. Unknowingly, I was getting sew-ins for years and the thread was cutting right through my hair. I would not recommend a sew-in for you.

LBoogie85

I have fine hair and sew ins don't work for me either. I now make u-part wigs. I love them because they look very natural but there is no tension on my edges or breakage from thread. Also, I can really take care of my hair this way. There are lots if tutorials on YouTube that show you how I make them if you're interested.

Live.Laugh.Love

LBoogie85 said:
I have fine hair and sew ins don't work for me either. I now make u-part wigs. I love them because they look very natural but there is no tension on my edges or breakage from thread. Also, I can really take care of my hair this way. There are lots if tutorials on YouTube that show you how I make them if you're interested.

Thanks! I will take a look on YouTube for these u part wigs. Do you take them off every night? And put the wig back on in the morning? How are you maintaining your hair underneath the wig?

havilland

i have fine hair....here is my hair before weaves as a protective style. i had never worn a full weave EVER prior to 2007.

this was my hair a year later after wearing back to back weaves for 12 months straight. (always with a net to protect my hair from the thread and weight of the hair)

this was my hair after 3, almost 4 years of wearing weaves as a protective style at least 6 months of the year or more.

my siggy shows my hair 5 years later after committing to weaves as my protective style of choice. that pic is after my last takedown.

i just wanted to put this in to share that even with fine hair, IF you take care and don't get tight braids, wet your hair too much and handle your hair like silk --- weaves can be a saving grace for fine hair.

@Live.Laugh.Love weaves don't have to be the devil. LOL :lol: but in the end every one has to make their individual choice for what's easiest and best for them. u part wigs and other choices can work well. tender loving care is the common denominator in growing hair.

Live.Laugh.Love

havilland said:
i have fine hair....here is my hair before weaves as a protective style. i had never worn a full weave EVER prior to 2007.

this was my hair a year later after wearing back to back weaves for 12 months straight. (always with a net to protect my hair from the thread and weight of the hair)

this was my hair after 3, almost 4 years of wearing weaves as a protective style at least 6 months of the year or more.

my siggy shows my hair 5 years later after committing to weaves as my protective style of choice. that pic is after my last takedown.

i just wanted to put this in to share that even with fine hair, IF you take care and don't get tight braids, wet your hair too much and handle your hair like silk --- weaves can be a saving grace for fine hair.

@Live.Laugh.Love weaves don't have to be the devil. LOL :lol: but in the end every one has to make their individual choice for what's easiest and best for them. u part wigs and other choices can work well. tender loving care is the common denominator in growing hair.

Thanks so much for posting your story! It looks like you have gotten it down to a science with the sew in and maximum growth for your hair! This thread has given me alot to think about, there are alot of options and what works for one person may or may not work for me.

Your pictures really gave light to
What you were saying, I am a visual person...lol thanks again!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

Your hair is lovely. I agree with everything you said. It's all about getting the weave installed properly and proper care for your hair underneath the weave.

glamazon386

I wore weaves quite often when I was relaxed. I wear them off and on now as a natural.

1. How long did you leave the sew In for? Usually 6 to 8 weeks. I've gone as long as 12 but normally don't keep it in that long.

2. Were the braids very tight and small? Or were the braids bigger and looser? Depends on who did the install. I don't like them too small because they take forever to take out. I don't like them too big either bc it'll make the weave bulky. And not too tight bc my hair is fine.

3. Do you use a net to avoid the weigh od the hair? I don't like the net.

4. How do you detangle to make sure you do not lose a massive amount of hair? Detangle after I take each braid down. I try to get all the sheds out before I wet the hair.

5. How so you take care of your hair while the weave is in? Wash and DC once a week. With curly styles I may cowash or rinse in the middle of the week.

6. Anything else I should know? Just make sure the weave isn't too tight.

Last edited:

Jetblackhair

havilland, Your hair is beautiful! I've been thinking about weaves as a protective style, but my hair is so fine. You mentioned using a net for your weaves, so is the weave track sewn only to the net?

wednesday

havilland I'm always confused about how you can take care of your hair under the net? How did you do it?

havilland

@havilland, Your hair is beautiful! I've been thinking about weaves as a protective style, but my hair is so fine. You mentioned using a net for your weaves, so is the weave track sewn only to the net?

thank you:eek: for the compliment.

yes....the tracks are sewn onto the net not your hair.

havilland

@havilland I'm always confused about how you can take care of your hair under the net? How did you do it?

i used a color applicator bottle to dilute my shampoo and conditioner with water and squirt it into the braids.

it was no big deal, it worked just fine for me.:yep:

i applied moisturizer using a spray bottle and oils using an applicator bottle.