WIG CHALLENGE 2013

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I'm in! My wig of choice is the fingercomber unit

Michelle1971

I let my Freetress Equal Stella wig have a break and plus I wanted WOW hair for some events for DH this weekend. I have been wearing Freetress Dream Girl. I will prepoo, co-wash and DC this evening with cornrows.

Now that's a pretty wig.
I wish my head wasn't so damn big :sad: or I would get it :yep:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Michelle1971 said:
Now that's a pretty wig.
I wish my head wasn't so damn big :sad: or I would get it :yep:

Have you tried it? I have fairly large head and Freetress is one of my go to brands. Some of the other brand full caps squeeze my head.

JustGROWwithIt

I started wearing my new wig last week and I love it. It's Model Model Mel. Definately diva hair! :) I just took my cornrows down, my hair felt so moisturized and I swear it's grown in the last 2 weeks. I'll take a pic after I'm done DC'ing to compare. Shooting for APL by April!

beauti

ok sooo I braided my hair last night, box braids using Marley hair :look: I'mma see y'all in about 3 months when I take them off

ETA....I will be alternating between wigs,weaves,and braids

Last edited:

ItsMeFre

I haven't signed up for this challenge but I'm definitely in!!! I'd like to get to waist length this year so I'm wearing wigs, weaves, and braids for the 1st 8 1/2 months of the year. This is my first time doing this consistently because I've been at BSL for a whole year (due to over trimming last year) and I'm kinda desperate for WL at this point. I'm sooo excited about this and I'm thinking this is just what I need to get over the BSL hump...some time to hide my hair from myself so I won't trim it!

Last edited:

JustGROWwithIt

I haven't signed up for this challenge but I'm definitely in!!! I'd like to get to waist length this year so I'm wearing wigs, weaves, and braids for the 1st 8 1/2 months of the year. This is my first time doing this consistently because I've been at BSL for a whole year (due to over trimming last year) and I'm kinda desperate for WL at this point. I'm sooo excited about this and I'm thinking this is just what I need to get over the BSL hump...some time to hide my hair from myself so I won't trim it!

I'll come back and post a starting pic later.

You can do it!
This is my first time wigging it consistently too. I've been at a hair stand still for a while too due to trimming and a little bit of breakage :nono:. So I'm hoping after 6 months of wigs and good hair practices that it will take me to the next level :yep:

strawbewie

I'm taking a wig break due to traveling not sure about wind and snow and my wigs.. airport screenings( huffington post reported got her for checked) etc...got a sew-in today... I will be back in my wigs in 4-6 weeks

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Im still wigging it ladies. I love that by me using wigs I get to keep my hands out of my hair! Think my hubby loves that also lol.

cherishlove

Corn rowed my hair today and wearing the exprt wig I have had for 4 years. Hoping this is my last year in wigs before I get to WSL. My hair is comfortably BSL.

Last edited:

tallnomad

Hi Ladies . . . I've been an "unofficial" member of this challenge, but actually just joined today.

I've been wearing wigs for almost a year. Just got my hair cornrowed a couple of days ago and I washed this morning because they were tight.

I think my hair is BSL or a bit below, but my cornrows are only showing about neck length or collarbone length. I know I have a major shrinkage factor, but this seems so short to me.

Does anyone else have major shrinkage once their hair is cornrowed?

My usual stylist who frequents this board and knows healthy practices, wasn't available, so I had to go to a new stylist for the unbraiding process. I went with my hair in cornrows that the usual stylist had sewn together to prevent my ends from becoming tangled. After the new stylist cut the strings out, I started getting nervous because my hair seemed so short, but I think it was just the shrinkage factor--I pray! I probably won't be able to really see the actual length of my hair until another month when I go back to the normal stylist.

I plan to read through all of this thread and also review LadyPanialo's suggestions, but in regards to retention, which method of braiding helps you retain your hair best, cornrows or braids/plaits?

Last edited:

CurliDiva

I just ordered this wig during my lunch break, and less than two hours later I got a notice that it has shipped!

I love Miss Wigs!

Attachments

• misso_306_moonstone-7.jpg
    misso_306_moonstone-7.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 113
  • misso_306_moonstone-8.jpg
    misso_306_moonstone-8.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Songbirdb

I posted this pic in the BSL challenge board but here are the two wigs that I made. Both using Batik synthetic hair. One is Upart and the other is a half wig (the close up) . I learned to make them off you tube.

ForumRunner_20130208_143914.jpg

polished07

Im in! I was just looking at Phillypoetess off youtube I think thats her name and she has totally motivated me! I will be wearing full wigs, I want to buy a new lf wig with kinky straight texture hair for an everyday look, and I will be turning my upart wigs into full lace closure wigs that Ive been wearing as installs, I will cowash with my hair in braids every week and take down every 3-4 wks, one day of rest (wash, dc, detangle, blow out and rebraid and start over) Im currently 3.5 inches from BSL and want to be MBL by next June for my wedding (I want to wear my real hair) hopefully I can stick to this I may take a brake from June to August when its really got and bun/or twist but Ill let the challenge know if I do! Heres my starting pic from dec :)

Attachments

• hairdec2012.jpg
    hairdec2012.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 83

ItsMeFre

Okay the first picture shows where I was in September before my U shape cut. The the second shows where I was 12-31-12. You can see the growth in the middle, but because I cut it into a U, the sides are shorter.
Also, excuse the fat...in the first pic I'm almost 3 months pregnant, in the second I'm almost 6 months pregnant. That's also the reason why I had to use 2 different bras, so I'm just looking at the APL line instead of the bra itself because due to pregnancy my bras are getting bigger and bigger :giggle:

The 2nd pic is the sew-in weave install that I just took down. It's Zury Hollywood Zio Remy hair. I left it in for the full month of January. I did a review on my Youtube channel.

In the 3rd pic I wore this protective style for 1 week after I took my weave down. It's a drawstring Afro 5" Free Tress ponytail.

I'll be back to show the wig I'll be wearing hopefully for the next month, but it's the Sensationnel Lauren wig.

Attachments

• photo (45).JPG
    photo (45).JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 116
  • photo (35).JPG
    photo (35).JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 135
  • photo (46).JPG
    photo (46).JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 111

Healthb4Length

Okay the first picture shows where I was in September before my U shape cut. The the second shows where I was 12-31-12. You can see the growth in the middle, but because I cut it into a U, the sides are shorter.
Also, excuse the fat...in the first pic I'm almost 3 months pregnant, in the second I'm almost 6 months pregnant. That's also the reason why I had to use 2 different bras, so I'm just looking at the APL line instead of the bra itself because due to pregnancy my bras are getting bigger and bigger :giggle:

The 2nd pic is the sew-in weave install that I just took down. It's Zury Hollywood Zio Remy hair. I left it in for the full month of January. I did a review on my Youtube channel.

In the 3rd pic I wore this protective style for 1 week after I took my weave down. It's a drawstring Afro 5" Free Tress ponytail.

I'll be back to show the wig I'll be wearing hopefully for the next month, but it's the Sensationnel Lauren wig.

I really like your sew-in very nice!

Healthb4Length

I have been alternating between twists and wigs. I'm disappointed in my lace front that I feel I paid good money for. I'm hesistant to buy new ones b/c I feel let down.
]

mywinborne

CurliDiva. I just got the same wig yesterday. Tell me how you like it. It's my first loose wave curl lace front. I don't know what to do with it to make it more realistic.

CurliDiva

@CurliDiva. I just got the same wig yesterday. Tell me how you like it. It's my first loose wave curl lace front. I don't know what to do with it to make it more realistic.

@mywinborne,

This is my second wig in this style and it really does look great!

I just washed with shampoo to remove the shiny coating and was good-to-go!

Afterward I just conditioner-washed and hung to dry completely before touchingthe curls.

I love that it is super long and soft to the touch.

It flat ironed well but didn't hold heated curls afterwards - so only flat iron if you plan to wear it straight.

Also, I use Got2b Ultra Styling Gel (about $5 at Walmart) to hold down the front hairline (on tape or glue for me) this works much better for me.

Good luck! :)

Attachments

• 51YukIQtutL__SY355_.jpg
    51YukIQtutL__SY355_.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

CurliDiva

I have been alternating between twists and wigs. I'm disappointed in my lace front that I feel I paid good money for. I'm hesistant to buy new ones b/c I feel let down.
]

Healthb4Length,

What the problem with your lace front?

You may have RE-STYLE a wig to make it work for you. I rarely just wear a wig without teaking it somehow first. I also don't want someone to be able to guess the exact name of the wig that I'm wearing - which I do often to others.

Charlotte

Ive been wearing wigs off and on for a few years now. These are my latest additions.

ForumRunner_20130214_214534.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130214_214616.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130214_214616.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 123

Carmelella

Joining the challenge!! Yay! I'm a little itty bit past APL everywhere except my bang area. I'm4b with a mixture of texlaxed and relaxed. All my hair except the first two inches from my forehead is healthy. I'm not losing my edges , they're there but they can't handle a relaxer at all!! So i lost MAJOR inches! think it's b/c although I'm 4b my hair in that area is very cottony,... So the hair is dense, but thin strands. :( translation: it only thrives when left alone... Like when I was natural and wore weaves last year.

So I finished making my u-part wig, I had to slap it on real fast with just a few loops of thread and wig clips before I ran out the door for work.

These wig clips are NOT the business!! I'm praying that my poor poor edges ( just center ish) will hang on till the morning when I get off of work ... Bringing scissors in the car so that I can take this damn thing off b4 I even get home.

Will take pics of the unit tomorrow, had no time to style it or take pics of it today.

Plan to wig it, half wig it, cornrows 24/7 till July. No relaxer till then esp in the front.... May texlax the back if it becomes unmanageable. Redoing cornrows every 2-6wks depending on style.

Here are my starting pics from today and last week. Air dried in blue shirt, blow dried w/o comb attachment in white shirt.

I'm at line 2.5.. Goal is line 4.5-5 which I think is BSL.

image-3057265853.jpg

image-3947232045.jpg