Relaxed Heads - Do you use a clarifying shampoo?

How often do you use a clarifying shampoo?

• Weekly

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Bi-Weekly

• Once a month

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • As Needed

Votes: 45 44.6%
  • Never (explain)

• Total voters

Aggie

Like Terri, I always clarify my hair before a henna treatment. The henna seem to stay on a lot longer when I do especially if I don't use a conditioner before applying the henna. I use the henna immediately on freshly clarifyed hair.

I voted for "as needed" because it would depend on what types of products I have been using on my hair and how much layers of it is on my strands. My hair has a certain feel to it when clarifying is needed.

Sometimes it feels a little gooey, sometimes it looks dull and won't co-operate with me when I want to style it a certain way and sometimes it would just be breaking off wayyy too easily. I would clarify in as little as every 2 weeks to as much as 6 weeks. I let my hair tell me when she's ready for a deep cleanser:grin:

xcuzememiss

I use it bi-weekly bc I use heat when I wash my hair (blow dry and flat iron) so naturally i use products with cones in it to help prevent heat damage. If I didn't use it bi-weekly it would be too much build up and my conditioners wouldn't work as good

LaidBak

I clarify as needed with a clarifying shampoo made by VO5. I usually only need it when I've experimented with some new conditioner or oil and I've gone a bit overboard. I've had this same bottle of shampoo for almost 3 years.

Your Cheeziness

I used to clarify, but I haven't done it in I don't know how long. I already use sulfate shampoos and I don't prepoo. And I happily use a cone serum and heat protectant, but I don't really apply any other product to my hair between washings. So, buildup isn't an issue for me. If I need a deeper cleaning for some reason (working out or whatever), I just lather twice with my regular shampoo.

kupenda

I don't schedule it. I use it whenever I feel like it. I use ORS Creamy Aloe as well. My hair really likes it so far. But I will make sure to use it if I've used cones or something waxy on my hair

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I have never clarified before. Im deathly afraid that it will strip my hair too squeaky clean for me to handle and my hair will instantly matt up into dreads right before my eyes. :( :( If I feel product build up then I just shampoo twice rather than the usual one time. Nexxus shampoo is gentle on my hair. thank goodness.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

sunnieb

pre_medicalrulz - I never clarified before I heard about it on LHCF. For me, it was a key piece missing from my regimen.

My hair definitely needs it. I always follow clarifying with a moisturizing shampoo and deep condition. :yep:

Bnster

I clarify as needed. My product of choice is Pure Curls clarifying shampoo. Thanks OP, it is nice to see what other relax heads are using and how often.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
OOOoooOOOO sunnieb See!! I NEVER knew you were suppose to follow it with a moisturizing shampoo. That would make sense and eliminate my fear of tangles. I always thought you just shampoo with the clarified shampoo and put in your regular conditioner but now that makes total sense. I may try it out. Thanks!! :)

sunnieb

OOOoooOOOO @sunnieb See!! I NEVER knew you were suppose to follow it with a moisturizing shampoo. That would make sense and eliminate my fear of tangles. I always thought you just shampoo with the clarified shampoo and put in your regular conditioner but now that makes total sense. I may try it out. Thanks!! :)
:shocked: at the bolded! No wonder you hated to clarify!

Girl, my hair would be a matted mess if I did that! Let me know when you try it. My hair feels so much better after I clarify.

Last edited:

MsLauren

I received a free sample of this clarifying shampoo from a line called Pureology and it claims to be sulfate free, paraban free, and all vegan. Long story short I used a little every 2 weeks to get my hair very clean. I really liked it and it didnt dry out my hair like other sulfate free shampoos so when I went to go pick up a full liter it was 61 dollars!! 61 DOLLARS!

CRAZYYYY!!!! :lachen:
I have been trying to find a good clarifying shampoo ever since.

sunnieb

@mslauren - I just bought 2 bottles of my Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo today for $0.99 each at Tom Thumb! It works just fine for me! :yep:

Last edited:

LoveBeautyKisses

sunnieb

It makes my hair feel squeaky clean and not as easy to run my fingers through it. I then dollow up with Aphogee Deep Moisture shampoo and QPElasta Shampoo for relaxed hair.

mEmYSELFaNDj

I voted "as needed". I only clarify prior to flat ironing, which is at most once every 2-3 months.

Eta: oops I guess I'm reading rainbow. I totally missed that this thread was for relaxed ladies. Sorry

Last edited:

sunnieb

^^^ :lol:

It's ok, I like hearing from you natural divas as well. I have to be able to help my mom who is natural. :yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
When I finish up some of these Clarifying Shampoos, I may just go with a Clarifying Conditioner. Period.:yep:

I've used: Avalon Organics Lemon, Shea, Babbasu Oil Clarifying Conditioner in the past & it worked very well.

Hair was clean and product free (I also had the matching Shampoo) but 'preferred' the conditioner.

The Clarifying Shampoo's I currently have on hand are:

AG Fast Food Clarifying
Abba Molasses Clarifying
Redken Cleansing Creme/Chelating
Elucence Clarifying
Joico Chelating

When I finish these up, I think Imma try V05 Clarifying Conditioner or Suave (if they make a Clarifying Conditioner) and call it a day.:ohwell:

sunnieb

OOOoooOOOO @sunnieb See!! I NEVER knew you were suppose to follow it with a moisturizing shampoo. That would make sense and eliminate my fear of tangles. I always thought you just shampoo with the clarified shampoo and put in your regular conditioner but now that makes total sense. I may try it out. Thanks!! :)

pre_medicalrulz - did you get a chance to try this???? :grin:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I use tressemme deep cleansing shampoo once a month or as needed. It's VERY gentle. Almost conditioning. My hair never feels stripped.

I also use vo5 clarifying conditioner weekly to bi weekly. It works great and is very gentle as well. I love it! When it goes on sale I buy ten bottles at a time. :)

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!