Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
September 24, 2014

Devotional:

Brethren, even if [fn]anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted. Galatians 6:1 (NASB)

In a day when intervening in someone's life is no longer politically and socially correct, these verses ring out like a gunshot on a still night. Sin is still real and is just as deadly as ever. Yet because we fear being branded judgmental and self-righteous, we let many who are trapped by sin go to their spiritual death. The call is for nonjudgmental intervention — we recognize the gravity of the sin and the need of the sinner, without feeling arrogant in our righteousness. "There but for the grace of God go I."

Prayer:
Father, forgive my sins as I forgive those who have sinned against me. But Father, also help my heart to be gripped by the gravity of sin's effects and to be stirred into action to help those whom it has trapped. Through Jesus, who came to rescue me from my sin, I pray. Amen

Wisdom:
A wise son accepts his father’s discipline, But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 25, 2014

Devotional:

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is [lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, [fn]dwell on these things. Philippians 4:8 (NASB)

Our actions follow our thoughts like a heat seeking missile follows the exhaust of a jet fighter's engine. So in a day when so much around us trains us to find the negative in life, we must aggressively think and pursue the character, the qualities, and the things of God's goodness.

Prayer:
Holy and Magnificent God, thank you for being better than anything my world can offer me. Thank you for calling me to a higher standard than the world accepts. Thank you for giving me the promise of a better future than any human can imagine. Thank you for giving me a high calling to live up to you. In Jesus' holy name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who withholds his [fn]rod hates his son, But he who loves him [fn]disciplines him diligently. Proverbs 13:24 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 26, 2014

Devotional:

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. James 4:8 (NASB)

Humble yourselves. That sounds obscene. At least to the "get ahead at all cost" and "don't look back the competition is gaining on you" culture of self-promotion it sounds obscene. Humility is a forgotten virtue. Often confused with weakness or timidity, humility is about knowing our proper place in the world without flaunting it. Only God can exalt in a permanent way, so the key is to know our place before him and let him put us in the place he chooses to honor him.

Prayer
Abba Father, Most Holy God, thank you for allowing me into your presence. When I think of all that you have done, the incredible universe you have made and hold together by your word, I am amazed you invite me into your presence. I am amazed that you even care about my choice of words. Thank you for knowing me and having a plan for my life. Help me this day to live with humility and grace before others as I seek to glorify you in all things. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who despises his neighbour sins, But happy is he who is gracious to the [fn]poor. Proverbs 14:21 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 27, 2014

Devotional:

For our struggle is not against [fn]flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Ephesians 6:12-13 (NASB)

How often do your forget that we are in a spiritual war? Our enemy is deceptively cunning - take away the immediacy of a threat and the danger appears gone. But he's there, always. But rather than try to guess his plans and counter all of his moves, Paul reminds us to simply take up the tools God has given us and stand up to evil one.

Prayer:
Lord of Hosts, my Great Deliverer, protect me from the evil one by your great power. Give me a sense of urgency as I face Satan and his schemes on a daily basis, but also give me confidence that Jesus has already defeated my foe. Help me to stand against this foe and show myself faithful to you. Through Jesus my Lord and Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The [fn]generous man will be [fn]prosperous, And he who waters will himself be watered. Proverbs 11:25 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 29, 2014

Devotional:

Sitting down, He called the twelve and *said to them, “If anyone wants to be first, [fn]he shall be last of all and servant of all.” Mark 9:35 (NASB)

Last? Nobody likes to be last. We have a hard enough time settling for second place, much less last place. Jesus reverses the rank. The person who is most important to him is not the person seeking the status and notoriety. The most important person is like Jesus himself: willing to give up rank and status and importance to serve. For Jesus, last means first in service and first in the eyes of God.

Prayer:
Magnificent God my Savior, you have made the world wonderful for me and have given your Son to redeem me. How can I ever thank you or repay you for your grace and kindness? Help me serve others with grace and kindness. Give me eyes to see people as you do; not judging by mere appearances, but valuing and treating people as Jesus does. I pray in the name of the Lord Jesus, the one who washed his disciples' feet. Amen.

Wisdom:
The [fn]fear of the Lord leads to life, So that one may sleep satisfied, [fn]untouched by evil. Proverbs 19:23 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 30, 2014

Devotional:

with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, Ephesians 4:2 (NASB)

"You mean I have to put up with that!?" There are those folks in life about whom the saying is true: "They are the grit out of which we are to fashion our pearl." But our great example in this challenge is Jesus. Think of what he had to put up with in his 12 disciples. Remember how transformational his patience and gentleness with them was. Can we dare to do less?

Prayer:
Give me strength and patience, O God, that I may be as loving, gentle and patient with others as Jesus was with people during his earthly ministry and you have been with me. In the name of Jesus, my Lord and hero I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
All the days of the afflicted are bad, But a [fn]cheerful heart has a continual feast. Proverbs 15:15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 1, 2014

Devotional:

For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon You. Psalm 86:5 (NASB)

Forgiveness is such a sweet blessing. But God does more than forgive! He cleanses and forgets. His love is not metered out or carefully rationed. He pours love upon us if we genuinely seek him as our God and Father. So let's cry out and ask for God's forgiveness and praise the mighty and holy name of The Almighty, confidently knowing that our Father longs to bless us with goodness, mercy, and love.

Prayer:
O Precious Father, I call to you wanting you to know how important your love and forgiveness are in my life. Thank you for sending Jesus to show your love and pay the debt of my sin. Help me to live today as your child: may others see my joy and my passion for you as I seek to live for your glory. In the name of my Savior, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let your eyes look directly ahead And let your [fn]gaze be fixed straight in front of you. Watch the path of your feet And all your ways will be established. Proverbs 4:25-26 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 2, 2014

Devotional:

“Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. Deuteronomy 6:4-5 (NASB)

So many times Satan seduces us into a flat, 2 dimensional Christianity - going to church and doing good deeds. But God calls us to a three dimensional faith. He wants us to love him with all of our being in all of our actions and with all of our might.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, I honor you as God Almighty. I appreciate you for all your kindness and blessings lavished upon me. I love you because you first loved me in Jesus. My heart's desire today is to demonstrate my love for you in all I do, and love and say. Through Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
The [fn]naive believes everything, But the sensible man considers his steps. Proverbs 14:15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 3, 2014

Devotional:

but just as it is written,”THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD, AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN, ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM.” 1 Corinthians 2:9 (NASB)

Many of the things we anticipate and dream about are much less glorious in real life than they were in our imaginations. There is one event, however, that is better than we can imagine and beyond our wildest dreams. When Jesus returns to take us home to be with our Father, it will be far better than we can ask, imagine, dream or think. Maranatha - Come Lord Jesus!

Prayer:
Abba Father, thank you for knowing me before time began. Thank you for crafting me in my mother's womb. Thank you for sending Jesus to pay the price for my sins. And thank you in advance for the day Jesus comes to take me home to be with you forever. Through my Conquering Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Train up a child [fn]in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 4, 2014

Devotional:

But as for me, I shall sing of Your strength; Yes, I shall joyfully sing of Your lovingkindness in the morning, For You have been my stronghold And a refuge in the day of my distress. Psalm 59:16 (NASB)

So many things in our lives can be stolen away by natural disasters, aging, and death. Satan could be appropriately called "The Thief of Always." But God is immovable and unstealable! We can invest ourselves in him and know our spirits are secure in his care. He is a fortress and a refuge.

Prayer:
O Great Rock of my salvation, thank you for being unchangeable and faithful. Thank you for being the source of security and future in a day of chaos and change. Thank you for being God. You are my God and in you I place my life, my hopes, and my future. May you be glorified in me today. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
My son, do not forget my [fn]teaching, But let your heart keep my commandments; For length of days and years of life And peace they will add to you. Proverbs 3:1-2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 6, 2014

Devotional:

For the choir director. A Psalm of David the servant of the LORD. [fn]who spoke to the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. And he said, “I love You, O LORD, my strength.” The LORD is my [fn]rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. Psalm 18:1-2 (NASB)

We sing it and we say it in our public prayers: "Father, God, we love you." But notice very carefully the beginning phrase of our verse. "I love you, O Lord..." Even in public, community worship, we are taught the importance of a personal expression of love to God. When is the last time you told the Creator of the universe, "I love you!"

Prayer:
Father in heaven, I love you. I love you because you are more than worthy of my love. I love you because you have first loved me. I love you because you sent your son to be my big brother and pay the price for my adoption into your family. I love you because of your faithfulness. I love you because you have permitted me in your grace to love you. In the name of Jesus I thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
For by me your days will be multiplied, And years of life will be added to you. Proverbs 9:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 7, 2014

Devotional:

For the word of the LORD is upright, And all His work is done in faithfulness. He loves righteousness and justice; The earth is full of the lovingkindness of the LORD. Psalm 33:4-5 (NASB)

God is faithful. We can trust his promises to be kept and his purposes to be good. How do we know? The sunrise each morning is a reminder that the Father of heaven and earth is at work keeping his universe in working order. If it is true in nature, it is true in the spiritual realm as well. Greet each sunrise as a reminder of God's faithfulness.

Prayer:
O Magnificent and Majestic Creator, I greet today as your gift and a reminder of your faithfulness. Each day the sun rises I anticipate the day you honor your promise to send your Son back to bring us home to you. Give me a keen sense today of your faithful presence. I pray this through him in whom all your promises find their fulfillment. Amen.

Wisdom:
A gray head is a crown of glory; It is found in the way of righteousness. Proverbs 16:31 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 8, 2014

Devotional:

He who pursues righteousness and loyalty Finds life, righteousness and honor. Proverbs 21:21 (NASB)

Isn't it funny that when we set off to find happiness or joy or significance or meaning, we seldom find it. Instead, when we offer to serve others and give ourselves wholeheartedly to the Lord and his work, it is then that we find what we most need.

Prayer:
O Giver of every good and perfect gift, I ask today that you give me a chance to serve you and others in a way which shows your kingdom and its glory. If in the process you choose to meet the needs in my own heart, then I thank you. This I pray through your servant Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
It is by his deeds that a lad [fn]distinguishes himself If his conduct is pure and right. Proverbs 20:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 9, 2014

Devotional:

Hate evil, you who love the LORD, Who preserves the souls of His godly ones; He delivers them from the hand of the wicked. Psalm 97:10 (NASB)

Hate — what a bold and powerful word. We must not hate people. We must hate evil. Tough combination to pull off, but absolutely vital. Evil is here because of the Evil One — the champion of hate, lies and death. So when evil rears its ugly head, let's be courageous and oppose Satan and his work. In the process, let's pray for those trapped in its tentacles, even if they consider us enemies.

Prayer:
Almighty God, make my heart pained by the evil in my world. Give me a holy revulsion to things opposed to your will and character. Yet Father, just as you redeemed me by grace, and rescued me while a captive to sin, give me courage to care about those who are in the Evil One's embrace. Through my Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart. Proverbs 3:3-4 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 10, 2014

Devotional:

“You have heard that it was said, YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.’ “But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may [fn]be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. Matthew 5:43-45 (NASB)

We often talk about the privileges of being a child of God - forgiveness, salvation, a future in heaven with him, the gift of the Holy Spirit, and ultimate victory when Christ comes. One of the greatest privileges we get, however, is the opportunity to act toward those who dislike and hate us in a way that reflects the character of God himself. Anyone can return hate for hate, but it takes a child of God to return a blessing and a prayer for his or her enemies.

Prayer:
Father, thank you for loving me when I was still an enemy to you. Thank you for risking the death of your Son to offer me the chance to accept or reject your love. As you have promised, please pour your love into my heart so I may love even my enemies as you have loved me. In the name of your ultimate Gift of love, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Now therefore, O sons, listen to me, For blessed are they who keep my ways. “Heed instruction and be wise, And do not neglect it. Proverbs 8:32-33 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 11, 2014

Devotional:

We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth; 2 Thessalonians 1:3 (NASB)

"Increase my faith, O, Lord." "Increase my strength." "Increase my wisdom." We often pray for these things, but when is the last time you thanked God for your love increasing? Can you think of anything more exciting to say about your church than to say, "The love every one of you has for each other is increasing!" Let pray and act to make it so!

Prayer:
Holy God, may your love so fill me so that I can fully share love with those that meet each day. May this love grow and increase in so that others may readily see its benefits and recognize that it is a direct response to the lavish love you have shared with me. Through the power of your Spirit, help my love increase! In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine. Proverbs 3:9-10 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 13, 2014

Devotional:

If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body [fn]to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 (NASB)

We want to remember the real meaning of love. Without the motivation and expression of love, all "Christian" activities are more "activity" than Christian. Love is the expression of Christ's character and presence in our lives through deeds done for others. So don't get lost in the annual trip down sentimental lane. Too many of us forget the needed daily dose of love that so often gets lost in the grit of day-to-day relationships. Let's be loving year round and thus show ourselves to be Jesus' disciples. (cf. John 13:34-35)

Prayer:
Loving Heavenly Father, thank you so much for your demonstration of love in Jesus. Help me to love as he did - selflessly, sacrificially, and consistently so others may know of your love through my actions. In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who gives to the poor will never want, But he who [fn]shuts his eyes will have many curses. Proverbs 28:27 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 14, 2014

Devotional:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 (NASB)

Love does not focus on myself, but on others. Each of these qualities of love is based upon an affectionate, compassionate, and forgiving attitude that regards others as being valuable and not just placing value on myself and my desires. No wonder the old saying goes "The middle of sIn is a big I!" When "I" become more important than others and what "I" want and that "I" win is more significant than what someone else truly needs, then "I" have lost my way and do not display the love of Christ.

Prayer:
Holy God and Sacrificial Father, teach me to notice others and value them just as you do. I know you loved me when I was not lovable, and redeemed me when I was not worthy. Help me to take my eyes off myself and see others as you see them. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A friend loves at all times, And a brother is born for adversity. Proverbs 17:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 15, 2016

Devotional:

does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:6-7 (NASB)

Always love -- pretty tall order and pretty tough stuff. Only God is always. But then Christians are fueled to an always love through the Holy Spirit! Elsewhere, Paul tells us that "The love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us." (Rom. 5:5) No wonder this love is always — it is God's love, demonstrated by Jesus' sacrifice, and delivered by the Holy Spirit!

Prayer:
Sweet and Glorious God on High, I humble myself before you recognizing your boundless power to love, the incredible need for love in the lives of those around me, and my limited ability to love. Please pour your Holy Spirit into my heart and fill me with the power to love as you do, always. In Jesus' sweet name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
buy truth, and do not sell it, Get wisdom and instruction and understanding. Proverbs 23:22 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 16, 2014

Devotional:

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His [fn]only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:16 (NASB)

Did you know the Bible doesn't just say, "God loves you." Now don't let me confuse you. Scripture does tell us many times that God loves us. However, don't miss the important truth here. Each time Scripture tell us that God loves us, it also demonstrates that love as well. God's love is more than emotion and intention. God's love is demonstrated. God loved us so much he didn't just say, "I love you." God showed his by sending and sacrificing his Son to give us his incomparable love! We never have to doubt that God means what he says. He has backed up his promises of love with his actions.

Prayer:
Loving and Almighty God, thank you for loving me. Thank you for both saying it and showing it. Please know, dear Father, I love you, too! Accept my words and actions today as a testimony to my love. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[fn]Commit your works to the LORD And your plans will be established. Proverbs 16:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 17, 2014

Devotional:

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:10 (NASB)

He loved us first! He offered his Son to save us regardless of our decision to believe or ignore his grace. We are given the ability to accept or reject the death of his Son as the sacrifice for our sins. The only condition, as 1 John 2:1-2 emphasizes, is that we realize that he died for everyone else in the world, too!

Prayer:
Precious King, God Almighty, why you should love me and send Jesus to die for me I will never fully understand. Thank you for your love. Thank you for your sacrifice for my sins. Thank you Jesus for coming to save me. I pray in your name and by your intercession. Amen.

Wisdom:
Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 18, 2014

Devotional:

We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth; 2 Thessalonians 1:3 (NASB)

"Increase my faith, O, Lord." "Increase my strength." "Increase my wisdom." We often pray for these things, but when is the last time you thanked God for your love increasing? Can you think of anything more exciting to say about your church than to say, "The love every one of you has for each other is increasing!" Let pray and act to make it so!

Prayer:
Holy God, may your love so fill me so that I can fully share love with those that meet each day. May this love grow and increase in so that others may readily see its benefits and recognize that it is a direct response to the lavish love you have shared with me. Through the power of your Spirit, help my love increase! In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine. Proverbs 3:9-10 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 20, 2014

Devotional:

For this is the message which you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another; 1 John 3:11 (NASB)

The original message - love one another. The enduring message - love one another. The most convicting message - love one another. The most difficult message - love one another. I'm reminded of the little verse: To dwell above with saints we love, O that will be glory. But to dwell below with saints we know, now that's another story. But it's the story we're called to write with our lives! This is God's enduring message he wants demonstrated in his children. Let's go out and live it!

Prayer:
Loving Father, I commit to you that I will intentionally show my love for your children in what I do and say. I do this trusting your grace to empower me to do more than I would do on my own. Through Jesus my Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 21, 2014

Devotional:

Who will separate us from the love of [fn]Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Just as it is written, FOR YOUR SAKE WE ARE BEING PUT TO DEATH ALL DAY LONG; WE WERE CONSIDERED AS SHEEP TO BE SLAUGHTERED.” But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. Romans 8:35-37 (NASB)

Conquerors! We win!! When you open up the final book of the Bible, Revelation, that is the message - Christians win because Jesus is the one true conqueror. No matter how the battle is going for you right now, remember that in the end, we win!

Prayer:
El Shaddai, God Almighty, thank you for securing the ultimate victory for me by raising Jesus from the dead. I know he is coming with victory on the day you have determined, but I pray that I may live victoriously for you until that day. Through Jesus my conquering King I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A good man leaves an inheritance to his [fn]children's children, And the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous. Proverbs 13:22 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 22, 2014

Devotional:

For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39 (NASB)

Separation is something we fear whether it's separation from a child, a parent, a sibling, a spouse, a friend, or from God. Jesus endured separation from God by becoming a human and by going to the cross. Because of Jesus' sacrifice, we can know we won't have to ever be separated from God's love. He bore the separation so we would never have to fear it!

Prayer:
Great Father of all peoples, thank you for loving me. Thank you for giving me the promise that nothing can separate me from your love. Make me more aware of your accompanying presence in my life. I pray this in Jesus name. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who conceals a transgression seeks love, But he who repeats a matter separates intimate friends. Proverbs 17:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 23, 2014

Devotional:

Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us. 1 John 4:11-12 (NASB)

Can you imagine what an honor it is to have the Creator of the universe, the Lord God Almighty, living inside of you! But when we love each other, that is exactly what happens. When our hearts are full of love, there is room for God. When they are not full of love, we leave God little room to take up residence and produce his character in us. Let God complete his love in you. Make a commitment to do loving things for others today!

Prayer:
Abba Father, it is so comforting to know that you are not far away - that I live in you and you live in me. Help me see others with your eyes and respond to their needs with your heart so that your love may be complete in me. In the name of Jesus, the Servant and Savior of all, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A man of too many friends comes to [fn]ruin, But there isa [frn]friend who sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 24, 2014

Devotional:

He who conceals a transgression seeks love, But he who repeats a matter separates intimate friends. Proverbs 17:9 (NASB)

"It's just a little harmless gossip." The Wise Teacher reminds us that gossip is neither little or harmless. Its consequences are huge and its damage horrible. Instead, it is much better to be a peacemaker and an offense mender.

Prayer:
Father of Glory, I confess that I am often more a peace lover than a peacemaker. Give me the character not to repeat gossip and instead have the wisdom and strength to be an offense mender. Through the Prince of Peace I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a [fn]harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 25, 2014

Devotional:

For this,”YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT COVET,” and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, “YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR AS YOURSELF.” Romans 13:9-10 (NASB)

Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to have laws to keep people in line! That's the point behind Paul's message here. Treat our neighbours like we would like to be treated. Love them as we like to be loved. If we do that, then we're not going to do anything that would hurt them, much less violate a command of law!

Prayer:
God who gave Moses the Law on tablets of stone, please write your character and will on my heart that I might be a living stone, testifying to your righteousness and grace. Help me to think more carefully about how my neighbours feel before I act or react to them — not just today, but every day! In the name of your Son, Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A good man will obtain favor from the LORD, But He will condemn a man [fn]who devises evil. Proverbs 12:2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 27, 2014

Devotional:

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear [fn]involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. 1 John 4:18 (NASB)

What is there to fear since God sent his Son to die to redeem us? What is there to fear since we cannot be separated from the love God has for us in Christ Jesus? What is there to fear except ourselves, and God has poured his Spirit into our hearts to reassure us and strengthen us in our weakness! As we love God and his children, we are reminded of his love for us which is far better than our meager love for others. Rather than run from him in fear, we bow before him in thanks knowing that he who hears our prayers is also he who loves us and yearns to calm our fears.

Prayer:
Loving Father, thank you that I can reverence you without fearing your wrath. Thank you that I can revere your word and yet not be terrified with my inadequacies. May your love in me produce a closer likeness to your holiness, righteousness, justice and mercy than all the laws, threats, and judges combined. I pray in the mighty name of Jesus, who ransomed me from sin and poured out his love upon me. Amen.

Wisdom:
But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, That shines brighter and brighter until the full day. Proverbs 4:18 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 28, 2014

Devotional:

But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead [fn]in our transgressions, made us alive together [fn]with Christ (by grace you have been saved), Ephesians 2:4-5 (NASB)

Of all things to be rich in, I cannot think of anything I'd prefer the Holy God to be rich in than mercy. I know my failures, shortcomings, sins, and transgressions. Without his mercy, to pardon again, and without his grace to send Jesus to pardon at first, I would be lost and without God. Now, because of his rich mercy, my life is tied to Jesus' future and not the one I earned for myself.

Prayer:
Father of all grace and mercy, thank you. Thank you for being God like you are God. Thank you for extending grace when I have not deserved it. Thank you for giving mercy when I most needed it. Thank you for giving life when I thought my life was doomed and hopeless. May my wealth be in mercy and grace much more than money and gold. Help me be more like you. In the name of Jesus, my older Brother and Savior, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Know that wisdom is thus for your soul; If you find it then there will be a [fn]future, And your hope will not be cut off. Proverbs 24:14 (NASB)