The Difference between Giving Up and Surrendering

kayte

Resignation masked as "Divine Acceptance"?

Hello CF!
I was told to post this here

If you ever watched "Girlfriends"...the episode with Donnie MCclurkin...

there's a moment when everything seems against the character Toni....
her best friend Joan has rejected her.....she's lost her fabulous job and ranking in the industry ...her car's been reposessed....her credit cards maxed...and her boyfriend- "the love of her life" dumped her in a way that would have most women reaching for knives.

Toni says "No man no best friend no job"
"I'm going back to Fresno, let Mama fatten me up and help Daddy work the land."

God turns it ALL around for Toni...after she surrenders
I am going to try to post the epiosde because I am in tears everytime I watch.....she DOES go from resignation to surrender

PLease discuss..scripture passages and /or anecdotes welcome!
And someone please tell me how to embed a You-tube :drunk:

Last edited:

kayte

YouTube - Girlfriends S2 Trick or Truth pt.2.mp4

Warning:
There is some graphic innuendo and considered offensive..... by a male character (not Mcclurkin) ... in the first five minutes

Specifically at 1:23- to 1:35....so you can freeze the video and then move to the end of the graphic part.. and then it conveniently cuts to the next and different segment

if you can ignore the silliness...then keep watching ..Mcclurkin is very moving ....

THE REST IS INCREDIBLY POWERFUL......

Last edited:

Highly Favored8

Yes, I teared up.

This is where I am at in my walk with the Lord

YouTube - CeCe Winans: I Surrender All

This is not easy for me b/c I have the tendency to do it all by myself.( Like I can really do this with out the Lord:ohwell:) However, this is not how it works with the Lord. I have to surrender all and not pick it up ever again. If I place my concerns in the Lords hands I have to really leave it there and truly allow the Lord to move in my situation. I listen to this song daily... It helps me in my valleys.:yep:

ETA and you know what Kayte when I do this with my whole heart and in truth God really and truly does move.. :yep: With my answered prayers.
Giving up for me would mean giving up on my life. This I will not do. I meditate on this daily

Matthew 24:13 - But he who endures to the end shall be saved.

It is all about enduring and standing strong until the very end....

Last edited:

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Yes and amen: The righteous man falls seven times, yet rises again.

REDEMPTION. The sun will ALWAYS rise tomorrow. And as long as you can still draw breath, there is a new day waiting for you. This is a truth that has defined me and for which I praise the Lord all the time.

Thank you for posting that.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
"Giving up" is when you abandon all hope and feel defeated. This is negative thinking and based on worldly sorrow.

"Surrendering" is when you yield or submit something to the power of another...such as surrendering your life to Jesus Christ.

Scriptures to share:

James 4:8 - "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded."

1 Corinthians 10:13 - "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

1 John 2:1-5 - "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him."

Acts 10 34-35 - "Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him."

James 1:1-8 "James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting. My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double minded man is unstable in all his ways."

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
More Scriptures:

“And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:15)

“No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.” (Matthew 6:24)

“If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.” (John 12:26)

"Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.” (Acts 5:29)

“Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday. Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.” (Psalm 37:4-7)

“But I trusted in thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God.” (Psalm 31:14)

“He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.” (Matthew 12:30)

“I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?” (Luke 12:49)

“Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.” (Matthew 10:34-39)

“So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:33)

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
And the Spirit and the Bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come.

And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Revelation 22:17

All characters.... :welcome3:

Whosoever will... let them :Rose:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off?

Matthew 18:12

When one is lost; one is scattered away, when one has lost all, including his/here way... God will come and find you and bring you home to stay. :Rose:

The ♥ son ♥ / the ♥ daughter ♥ who once was lost is now found... ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

kayte

wow..the power of these responses! I so feel the Lord in this~~~
Highly Favored Pooh Bear Nicola Shimmie
thank you~

The boundary between giving up and divine acceptance can blur
it is a truly is a thin line at times...and so insidious----many may not be aware until it has seeped in the most destructive ways.

insomnia
overspending
over eating
poor relationship choices

"Settling"
all of that represents to some extent giving up or giving in to disapointment and attempting to compensate

I think more women have resigned themselves to resigning themselves than they realize

but here's the good news..
every days HIS mercies are new ..HE cannot deny Himself

I LOVE what Donnie MCclurkin says...HE IS SO IN LOVE WITH YOU
Thank you Lord for loving me when I forgot to do it myself

Last edited:

kayte

Yes, I teared up.

This is where I am at in my walk with the Lord

YouTube - CeCe Winans: I Surrender All

This is not easy for me b/c I have the tendency to do it all by myself.( Like I can really do this with out the Lord:ohwell:) However, this is not how it works with the Lord. I have to surrender all and not pick it up ever again. If I place my concerns in the Lords hands I have to really leave it there and truly allow the Lord to move in my situation. I listen to this song daily... It helps me in my valleys.:yep:

ETA and you know what Kayte when I do this with my whole heart and in truth God really and truly does move.. :yep: With my answered prayers.
Giving up for me would mean giving up on my life. This I will not do. I meditate on this daily

Matthew 24:13 - But he who endures to the end shall be saved.

It is all about enduring and standing strong until the very end....

Beautifully stated
Highly Favored---ITA ...we are in war with spiritual adversaries and must put on the full armor DAILY......

I'm going to listen to the song
thank you

kayte

Poohbear;12411763]"Giving up" is when you abandon all hope and feel defeated. This is negative thinking and based on worldly sorrow.

"Surrendering" is when you yield or submit something to the power of another...such as surrendering your life to Jesus Christ.

:yep:..............................

strong ...definition...
this blessed me so much

Last edited:

kayte

And the Spirit and the Bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come.

And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Revelation 22:17

All characters.... :welcome3:

Whosoever will... let them :Rose:

I love this because it also implies an openess to the invitation for everyone while also the offering a healing intimacy with the Lord to surrender

kayte

Yes and amen: The righteous man falls seven times, yet rises again.

REDEMPTION. The sun will ALWAYS rise tomorrow. And as long as you can still draw breath, there is a new day waiting for you. This is a truth that has defined me and for which I praise the Lord all the time.

Thank you for posting that.
this is so beautiful Nicola....
It's humbling hearing how it is core to who you are
yes yes PRAISE HIM...
how lovely is this~~