Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

jlatr

A lot of people from another hair site are raving about the Maximum Hydration Method for 4c hair. I think I'm about to try it. Anyone here doing it?

I started 7/29 and it has completely turned my hair around. I have been doing the curly girl method for years and never reached max hydration. Now my hair and curls are soft, moisturized, easy to finger detangle, and my curl definition is unreal. I even have less shrinkage. Most days I break up the routine by doing the baking soda or acv, rinse,and add conditioner to overnight ghe. In the morning I rinse it out &add clay briefly and rinse before getting out of the shower . I add watered down kkkt which still Detangles as well as when it is full strength and add kkcc. Then I pull it into a low pony and go to work. When I get home I release it and my hair is 75% dry and the curl definition is still there.

It is worth trying at least 2 days in a row over the weekend to get the hang of it.

Honey Bee

That sounds like a WHOLE lot of manipulation. My fine strands ain't about that life.
bajandoc86, Users claim that the manipulation doesn't negatively affect them because their hair is just that moist. Longer haired naturals, 4 range, claim that the method enables them to wear wngs daily, ends rubbing on their collars and all that, with steady retention and no apparent damage.

My mom and FMIL are natural and they volunteered to be my guinea pigs. :look: I just ordered clay and a bunch of other stuff. My mother is a fine 4c, I think, so we'll see.

ryanshope

I may try a modified versus of this---I like the Cherry Lola(CL) treatments and I have been using a ceramide oil(LOC) twice a week. My hair is definitely 4a/b and this process is close to what I was doing anyway(just not as detailed or as frequent).

I got SSKs in my "bad" spot and I am truly over it.

faithVA

I think this method is going to be more popular than a lot of people are imagining. There is a whole segment of naturals still looking for a regimen that works for them and this is helping a lot of people get results when other regimens just didn't. Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out a year from now.

myfaithrising

I think this method is going to be more popular than a lot of people are imagining. There is a whole segment of naturals still looking for a regimen that works for them and this is helping a lot of people get results when other regimens just didn't. Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out a year from now.

I think so too. I've been doing the MHM for about a month now and it has really changed the game for me.

Honey Bee

faithVA, :yep: I'm transitioning. I'd say I'm 4a/b. I see some curls, some are well defined, most are not. My hair is too light, I think. I was thinking I might have to use amino acids or something just to weigh it down from the inside. I don't intend to do wng's, but I do want my hair operating optimally.

And then my mother, who I thought was on this journey with me :rolleyes:, started talking about going back to locs cuz this loose natural life was unsatisfactory, time-consuming with iffy results. I started researching. I found that the 4's with the most defined patterns (ie, least frizz) use a lot of clay rinses. I read up about the Cherry Lola treatment. I was circling this concept and almost stumbled upon it myself.

So when I found it, I was delighted because I don't have to reinvent the wheel. Somebody else already did the work, laid it out in a neat regimen, found willing guinea pigs who have youtubes... it's just so organized, and I appreciate it. I can just refer my mother to the site, she doesn't have to read a million blogs/ watch a million yt's.

This method is like a lifeline for the 4c ladies who wonder why nothing ever works, nothing ever moisturizes, gel on hair= a gelled afro, etc. It's not about coveting another's natural curl pattern, it's about finally meeting your own.

tolly

I just started this last week and I am astonished at the difference in my hair. I cut down to about an inch two months ago after just one month post relaxer [3rd BC]
I didn't even do the full regimen and still have remarkably softer hair with lots of curls in my short hair. I used baking soda in my conditioner, and leave in conditioner with flaxseed gel, [yet to get clay but have used lotus and alma powder pending getting my hands on bentonite clay] and in a week my 4a hair is much softer. I only did my shortened version thrice.
I see people repulsed by the complexity and several steps involved but think its worth a try and realizing that you can start off the regimen as recommended and tweak it to suit your needs.

Nazaneen

@Honey Bee. I feel my hair is "too light" as well. This has long been an issue for me actually. And apparently it's not due to tightness of curl pattern because I sense that many women with tighter curls than I have, have weightier hair. Maybe its an issue of strand thickness although I wouldn't consider my hair fine. I think it's just "normal" thickness.

I'm tempted to try the Cherry Lola method and see how my hair responds. Why is it called Cherry Lola lol?

shelli4018

faithVA, :yep: I'm transitioning. I'd say I'm 4a/b. I see some curls, some are well defined, most are not. My hair is too light, I think. I was thinking I might have to use amino acids or something just to weigh it down from the inside. I don't intend to do wng's, but I do want my hair operating optimally.

And then my mother, who I thought was on this journey with me :rolleyes:, started talking about going back to locs cuz this loose natural life was unsatisfactory, time-consuming with iffy results. I started researching. I found that the 4's with the most defined patterns (ie, least frizz) use a lot of clay rinses. I read up about the Cherry Lola treatment. I was circling this concept and almost stumbled upon it myself.

So when I found it, I was delighted because I don't have to reinvent the wheel. Somebody else already did the work, laid it out in a neat regimen, found willing guinea pigs who have youtubes... it's just so organized, and I appreciate it. I can just refer my mother to the site, she doesn't have to read a million blogs/ watch a million yt's.

This method is like a lifeline for the 4c ladies who wonder why nothing ever works, nothing ever moisturizes, gel on hair= a gelled afro, etc. It's not about coveting another's natural curl pattern, it's about finally meeting your own.

I agree with everything you've just said. This method has lots of potential and it's well documented. With time and experimentation it can be improved. For instance, folk could do the week long full regimen or maybe something less complicated that takes 2 weeks or more. I'd also look forward to seeing a wider range of products suitable for this method. So far I've learned my hair likes botanical gel but can use any number of store bought conditioners.

faithVA

[USER=338599 said:
overtherainbow[/USER];20455817]Are any hi-po ladies having success with this? What do you do tp combat over moisturization?

I'm not hi-po but if you do decide to try it use ACV for step 1 versus the baking soda. I know she speaks about it a bit on the website but since I'm lo-po I'm not as knowledgeable about the hi-po experience.

faithVA

I did the regimen for a few weeks earlier this summer and had noticeably more moisturized hair. However, I took a hiatus until I get some more length in the back. Even with the regimen I still have to put my hair up into twist which is quite time consuming especially mid-week.

However, I will be resuming this regimen when I can put the back of my hair up into a banana clip which hopefully will be the beginning of the year.

For those who want to try it, don't let people scare you off that have not tried the regimen. If you have tried a number of regimens including the curly girl and they did not work for you, do your own research and ask questions of people who have actually tried the method to make your own decision.

faithVA

[USER=149048 said:
Honey Bee[/USER];20453919]faithVA, :yep: I'm transitioning. I'd say I'm 4a/b. I see some curls, some are well defined, most are not. My hair is too light, I think. I was thinking I might have to use amino acids or something just to weigh it down from the inside. I don't intend to do wng's, but I do want my hair operating optimally.

Please explain the amino acids weighing the hair down from the inside. What does that mean? How does that work?

I think my hair is too light as well. It seems to take tar and feathers to make it hang :lol:

Honey Bee

@Honey Bee. I feel my hair is "too light" as well. This has long been an issue for me actually. And apparently it's not due to tightness of curl pattern because I sense that many women with tighter curls than I have, have weightier hair. Maybe its an issue of strand thickness although I wouldn't consider my hair fine. I think it's just "normal" thickness.

I'm tempted to try the Cherry Lola method and see how my hair responds. Why is it called Cherry Lola lol?

Please explain the amino acids weighing the hair down from the inside. What does that mean? How does that work?

I think my hair is too light as well. It seems to take tar and feathers to make it hang :lol:

Arlana, faithVA

It's called Cherry Lola because that's the name of the girl who invented it. She has a site and yt vids. :yep:

re: amino acids. It was a theory I was playing with. The idea is, strands that are too light need to be weighed down on a molecular level. Part of my proof was the whole 'henna might loosen your curls' thing. Henna doesn't actually loosen. Lawstone particles within henna bind to the protein in the hair (they're also the source of the color), thereby weighing the strand down on a molecular level. :yep:

I was weighing a few different trials. One was Chicoro's amino acid treatment (she has a yt about it). I was getting ready to order the supplies when I got distracted by Bragg's Liquid Aminos... which then led me to the Cherry Lola treatment. In the meantime, I also bought the Inphenom leave-in (I think EnExitStageLeft swears by it, but I read about it at 'Relaxed Hair Health). I used it once maybe, but then I stopped straightening so much and I couldn't fit it into my normal (no heat) reggie.

I much prefer the idea of weighing the strands down with moisture.

Honey Bee

Oh, I did my first clay treatment last night! It was fabulous. When I rinsed it out, my clumping was amazing, but then I did an acv rinse and messed it up. :ohwell: It got all frizzy.

I randomly chose some of the steps and did them in no particular order, serves me right. :lol:

faithVA

^^Thanks. My hair does hang well when it has moisture in it. I am still working on getting enough in and slowing down its escape. This method has at least let me see signs of it.

faithVA

Oh, I did my first clay treatment last night! It was fabulous. When I rinsed it out, my clumping was amazing, but then I did an acv rinse and messed it up. :ohwell: It got all frizzy.

I randomly chose some of the steps and did them in no particular order, serves me right. :lol:

But others can learn from your experiments :lol:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Are any hi-po ladies having success with this? What do you do tp combat over moisturization?
I'm high po and I've been doing this regimen since May. I initially started out using the conditioner with baking soda for the clarifying step and it was ok, but once I started using ACV for step 1 my hair started responding better to the regimen. My hydration is slow due to the fact my hair was super dry way before this regimen. One thing I can say about this regimen is that my hair is doing a whole lot better. I'm retaining moisture better, I rarely get split ends, I rarely get single strand knots, my breakage has slowed down, my hair rarely tangles, and I'm retaining length. My hair still doesn't like wash n go's so I do braid outs, twist outs, curlformers, or buns. Once I get more hydrated curls then I'll revisit the wash n go. Let me also add that I'm natural, I have high porosity, I'm 4a/ 4b with some 3c, fine to medium strands, low to medium density hair, and I'm full APL. I haven't experienced any over moisturization with this regimen. Your hair won't get over moisturized with this regimen because you are removing build up every 3 days. The ACV or baking soda step and the clay step removes products from your hair which will prevent product build up. When I feel that I need some protein then I will do the modified cherry lola treatment to keep my hair balanced.

The maximum hydration method works and the steps aren't any more than most of the regimens that's on this forum. Sometime we can get negative about things that we don't know so please do your research because there are a lot of naturals out there struggling with their hair, but scared to try this regimen due to all the negative comments. So please be open to change especially if your having issues with retaining moisture and length. I myself have been on this forum for years and I've tried every bandwagon that you could possibly think of and nothing helped with my overly dry hair, ssk's, and breakage. But the maximum hydration method is the only regimen that's been positive for my hair. HTH :grin:

Honey Bee

But others can learn from your experiments
Glad to be of service to the natural hair community. :yep: :lol:

Somebody asked about high porosity hair. I'm transitioning and my hair has historically been terribly, extremely hi po, but that was relaxed. I'm coming to learn that might natural hair might actually be lo po, I can't believe it! :lol:

I was hesitant to try certain steps (like the baking soda or acv clarifying step) because I've never used either of those on my hair. I already knew I was hi po, didn't make no sense to practice a lo po reggie. I clarify with shampoo when needed, use moisturizing poo when I feel like it, all kinda sulphates and what-not, I didn't care, just reckless with it, lol. I've been shampooing once a week throughout my transition, no problem. So when I saw the clarifying step, I was like damn, I might not be able to be down. :ohwell: :lol:

And then I had a hair tragedy! :blush: Saturday night, I used FPS (2.5 ph) to close my cuticle after dc'ing. I hadn't used it in a while, but it usually does my hair right. Y'all, when I rinsed it out, my hair felt so wrong, so tangled, so disrepectful of my efforts. :nono: I didn't know what to do. I was just standing in the bathroom telling SO, this is the kinda ish that make people bc with raggedy scissors in the middle of the night. :nono: :lachen: :perplexed

I thought and thought, how could I safely raise my ph?? I'm scared of baking soda, so that was a no-go, but acv... not so scary. I put a tiny bit in my spray bottle, lots of warmish water, crossed my fingers, and prayed. Let it stay in for 5 min, rinsed, my hair was back to normal. And once it dried, I noticed it was shiny as heck!! My hair never shines. I'm amazed. It worked well on all of my textures.

When I did it last night, it was a more concentrated mix. That mighta contributed to my frizz cuz it came out of nowhere. :ninja: :lol:

almond eyes

I have been saying since I shaved my hair in May that I discovered that washing my hair daily and using the right shampoos and conditioners and laying off all these products really changed my hair from a dry frizzy mess to very soft hair. I used to think that soft hair meant that your hair had to feel like a jheri curl but I now understand because I wash my hair everyday and feel the difference. When I used to wash my hair weekly my moisture game never took off it is now washing my hair DAILY with a mild shampoo and conditioner that has made the difference. And I stay away from products with glycerin already. Very often I don't even use any products in my hair and my hair stays nice and soft. I don't even care that my hair doesn't show noticeable curls because it is so fine. I just like the fact that my hair dries fast now and it very soft and when I comb my hair the comb glides through it. But it took me three months of daily washing on freshly shaven new hair to understand the maximum hydration method but done my way. I think if I had not big chopped my hair might have taken a lot longer to accept moisture treatments and I may have used this method.

I haven't tried the method myself and it looks very interesting. And I am for any method that allows our hair to retain moisture. I want to dry using the clay too and see what that does. I have all this clay mud from terressentials from five years ago and I never knew what to do with it. I guess I now know.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

faithVA

Glad to be of service to the natural hair community. :yep: :lol:

Somebody asked about high porosity hair. I'm transitioning and my hair has historically been terribly, extremely hi po, but that was relaxed. I'm coming to learn that might natural hair might actually be lo po, I can't believe it! :lol:

I was hesitant to try certain steps (like the baking soda or acv clarifying step) because I've never used either of those on my hair. I already knew I was hi po, didn't make no sense to practice a lo po reggie. I clarify with shampoo when needed, use moisturizing poo when I feel like it, all kinda sulphates and what-not, I didn't care, just reckless with it, lol. I've been shampooing once a week throughout my transition, no problem. So when I saw the clarifying step, I was like damn, I might not be able to be down. :ohwell: :lol:

And then I had a hair tragedy! :blush: Saturday night, I used FPS (2.5 ph) to close my cuticle after dc'ing. I hadn't used it in a while, but it usually does my hair right. Y'all, when I rinsed it out, my hair felt so wrong, so tangled, so disrepectful of my efforts. :nono: I didn't know what to do. I was just standing in the bathroom telling SO, this is the kinda ish that make people bc with raggedy scissors in the middle of the night. :nono: :lachen: :perplexed

I thought and thought, how could I safely raise my ph?? I'm scared of baking soda, so that was a no-go, but acv... not so scary. I put a tiny bit in my spray bottle, lots of warmish water, crossed my fingers, and prayed. Let it stay in for 5 min, rinsed, my hair was back to normal. And once it dried, I noticed it was shiny as heck!! My hair never shines. I'm amazed. It worked well on all of my textures.

When I did it last night, it was a more concentrated mix. That mighta contributed to my frizz cuz it came out of nowhere. :ninja: :lol:

This isn't funny but the way you phrased it made me laugh. Yeah, there are a lot of things that can make a person go over the edge with their hair :lol: :yep:

Honey Bee

This isn't funny but the way you phrased it made me laugh. Yeah, there are a lot of things that can make a person go over the edge with their hair :lol: :yep:
Girl, I was ready to just end it all! (meaning, bc :lol:) I have at least another year left transitioning, I need some length... but hmmm, maybe the max hydration method will increase my hang-time...

Transformer

Can someone tell me why ACV which closes cuticles is being used on hair where the cuticle is tightly closed?

I'm high porosity--my hair dries in 5 minutes.

faithVA

Can someone tell me why ACV which closes cuticles is being used on hair where the cuticle is tightly closed?

I'm high porosity--my hair dries in 5 minutes.

I don't think it is suggested that ACV be used on cuticles which are tightly closed. It is left as an option for each person. It is suggested that if you are low porosity to use baking soda and if you are high porosity to use acv. However the method offers options based on peoples experience.

I am low porosity and have used both depending on what I am doing. When I really need a mid-week rinse but not a wash, I may use ACV and I leave the opening of my cuticle to the DC step when I use heat.

Transformer

Is the purpose to cleanse buildup or close cuticles? Someone posted an article where ACV doesn't remove buildup very well.

faithVA

Is the purpose to cleanse buildup or close cuticles? Someone posted an article where ACV doesn't remove buildup very well.

Yes I saw the article. She may or may not be right but it is hard to tell from her experiment.

People need to do their own research and find what works for them. There are people who use ACV to cleanse and have being doing so for years and there are those who it doesn't work for.

This regimen uses ACV and mud or BS and mud. The article said mud worked fine.