Do you take the Bible literally?

Crown

Enoch, Elijah and Moses are in heaven, But they are there for specific reasons. Enoch walked with God. He spent all of his time with God. God took him. We assume he is in heaven. I don't know that text by heart. I will have to look at it again, but for now I believe he is in heaven. Elijah the Prophet is in heaven. He represents those who will never see death. Moses represent the Law, and those who have died and were resurrected. Moses is the great
lawgiver, and Elijah is the greatest of the Old Testament prophets. Again this is from memory, When Jesus died didn't the graves open. I believe that those who were resurrected also ascended to heaven when Jesus returned. It's not determined for us to really know who is in heaven or not, but to know that we have a appointment where we all we go to heaven at the same time.

...The transfiguration was a miniature of the Second Coming, and Moses was there to represent those who died and would be resurrected when Jesus comes, and Elijah was there to represent those who would be alive when Jesus returned and would never taste even the first death.
Does your denomination have an interpretation for why did they leave Enoch at home?

blazingthru

Does your denomination have an interpretation for why did they leave Enoch at home?

I didn't complete the answers to all of your questions. I have to apologize. I am so exhausted right now and will have to think some more about the answers above.
All the text I post except for the sermon come from the biblegateway.com. I like the NASB bible or ESV or KJV. If SDA has something different, this four-year-old has yet to learn about, If you're talking about Ellen G. White. I don't actually review her books. I keep meaning to. It's not widely discussed. She opens up the word a little clearer, but you don't actually have to read her books you can just read the scriptures, and she states that in her books. However, they are good books for understanding difficult things, I just haven't gotten around to reading them. The great controversy is a really good book for anyone to read. I haven't finished that either. I have not read it since 2009 and have not completed it. As for Enoch, God tells us what we need to know when we need to know it. I can't see a purpose for us to know the reasons why Enoch remains in heaven, he, in my opinion, furfilled his purpose. He preached the word his entire life, on earth, and spent all of his time with God. I imagine God must have spoken to him as he did with Moses. But I will drain myself trying to find every answer for every single thing I read in the bible. I don't feel I need to know. I feel that I know enough to earn and keep my salvation, but I spend more and more time drawing closer to God and thereby keeping that in my forethoughts. However, since you asked I would look in her book Patriots and Prophets ( I know I messed up on the spelling) and see what I can find and post it. I don't know what is in there, but it might be interesting. If there is nothing than I will leave it alone. You can find this information out as well. its online somewhere free.

Iwanthealthyhair67

blazingthru said:
Michael the Archangel came to retrieve the body of Moses. He is no longer dead he is in heaven. This is before he came to earth to live in a human form.

Before who came to the earth to live in human form?

Sorry just trying to get a better understanding

Crown

Let me try to understand your doctrine blazingthru.

For sure (for you):
*Enoch, Elijah and Moses are in heaven, for specific reasons.
*Some saints ascended to heaven with Christ, but not all saints.

Please, can you give the passage giving the testimony that some saints ascended to heaven with Christ?

If I understand what you are saying, some saints are in heaven, but not David, which God testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart’ (Acts 13: 22 )

Because Peter testified after the ascension:
Acts 2: 29Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

Did you study the concordance of time between the events described in 2 Kings 2
and 2 Chronicles 21:12?

blazingthru

Let me try to understand your doctrine @blazingthru.

For sure (for you):
*Enoch, Elijah and Moses are in heaven, for specific reasons.
*Some saints ascended to heaven with Christ, but not all saints.

Please, can you give the passage giving the testimony that some saints ascended to heaven with Christ?

If I understand what you are saying, some saints are in heaven, but not David, which God testified concerning him: ‘I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart’ (Acts 13: 22 )

Because Peter testified after the ascension:
Acts 2: 29Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

Did you study the concordance of time between the events described in 2 Kings 2
and 2 Chronicles 21:12?

@Crown, I will give these and the other questions to my pastor so he can answer. I believe that we should ask questions such as these with a sincere heart and a deep desire to know what the scriptures mean. I am a lay person. I spend a lot of time studying the bible but some text for me is simple and I do not need deep study on everything and all things. But the Pastor is use to these types of questions and he can better answer the questions you have posted, there is much in answering these questions. Joe Crews have sermons on these but its pages after pages of detail information and you asked that i not post all that info on here. I could have posted the link, but feel its better for pastor to answer.

I will come back and repost the response when he gives me a reply.

Crown

Hell is actually this entire earth at the End of the world. No one is in Hell and burning. The Majority believes that right? Based on what? Hell more times then one in the bible mean the grave, which makes sense because that is what it really is when it completes its task it's just a grave. but an any case hell most times in the bible really means the grave. This would be a really good study if anyone is serious about finding the real meaning in the bible for its existence now. I personally think it would be a great study to break down the scriptures that cause others to believe hell is in existence and that people are actually in it. It would be full of way to many contradictions with other scriptures, I think it would be very interesting and helpful to my studies though.

@Crown, I will give these and the other questions to my pastor so he can answer. I believe that we should ask questions such as these with a sincere heart and a deep desire to know what the scriptures mean. I am a lay person. I spend a lot of time studying the bible but some text for me is simple and I do not need deep study on everything and all things. But the Pastor is use to these types of questions and he can better answer the questions you have posted, there is much in answering these questions. Joe Crews have sermons on these but its pages after pages of detail information and you asked that i not post all that info on here. I could have posted the link, but feel its better for pastor to answer.
Is not what we are doing: breaking down the scriptures to examine some beliefs?
Or are you assuming that you have the truth.
Do you agree to this study just to say what you believe, not really to study?

I will come back and repost the response when he gives me a reply.
Thank you!
Also, please ask him about Daniel. For you, did he ascend to heaven with the other saints?
The scriptures say:

Dan. 12: 2 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.
13But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days.

JinaRicci

Gabriel for Mormons.
Michael for SDA

I'm lost. How is this specific to SDA? Who is referred to in texts like these?

Revelation 12: 7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, 8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

Luke 1: 26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, 27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.

Crown

Revelation 12: 7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, 8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

Luke 1: 26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, 27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
I am not sure that I understand your question :sad:
But, I have one about you quote (Luke): why do SDA pick up Michael and not Gabriel?

JinaRicci

I am not sure that I understand your question :sad:
But, I have one about you quote (Luke): why do SDA pick up Michael and not Gabriel?

You indicated that Jesus is referred to as Michael by SDAs but as Gabriel by Mormons. My understanding is that Christianity on a whole accepts Gabriel as the angel who visited Mary and does not consider that Gabriel was in fact Jesus. Thus, I have never heard of choosing one name over the other as Michael and Gabriel are two different beings in the Bible.

Since I'm an SDA, I'd like to understand the basis for this perception as it's not a teaching. To help understand, it would add to the discussion to indicate how are Gabriel and Michael being interpeted in the texts posted and accordingly all referenced texts in the Bible.

Crown

I think Jehovah's Witnesses also believe that the archangel Michael = Jesus
You are right! Sorry, I said Mormons, but it's Jehovah's Witnesses.

It seems that Mormons believe that the Archangel Michael came down to earth with several of his celestial wives, and became Adam in the garden of Eden, and the angel Gabriel came down to earth and became Noah in the days of the flood.

Crown

You indicated that Jesus is referred to as Michael by SDAs but as Gabriel by Mormons.
My understanding is that Christianity on a whole accepts Gabriel as the angel who visited Mary and does not consider that Gabriel was in fact Jesus. Thus, I have never heard of choosing one name over the other as Michael and Gabriel are two different beings in the Bible.

Since I'm an SDA, I'd like to understand the basis for this perception as it's not a teaching. To help understand, it would add to the discussion to indicate how are Gabriel and Michael being interpeted in the texts posted and accordingly all referenced texts in the Bible.
Let's do it!

I think that we share the same view about Gabriel (I am not Mormons or
Jehovah's Witnesses, so no need to continue on this), let's see about Michael.

*Tell me, how can Jesus be one of the chief princes?

Dan. 10:13 But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia.
http://biblos.com/daniel/10-13.htm

*If Michael is Jesus, how is it that he had not rebuked the devil?
*Why did he refer to the Lord?

Jude 9Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

As the Lord did it in:

Mat. 17: 18And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.

Mk 9: 25When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.

ETA:
@JinaRicci, @blazingthru
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=76771

Last edited:

blazingthru

Is not what we are doing: breaking down the scriptures to examine some beliefs? No you are asking specific questions not related to or originate with the question of Hell. It has changed. Hell was the topic that was interesting to study out. In your case, YOU don't believe that anyone is in heaven and it is for you to study out whether they are or not. I believe that they are in heaven, because the bible specifically says that 2 Kings 2:11
And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

Or are you assuming that you have the truth. I believe that the truth is in the word of God and that we are to be sincere as we study the text and not be accusatory towards our brothers and sister or call our brother and sisters a fool. Or mock our brothers and sisters which is often done on this board, I think that we are not all going to agree but we should all agree on the word and have an open mind that we ourselves could be incorrect, As in the case of Michael it is very easy for me to see that this is Jesus, Because of the name, What does the name mean? It means who is like God and with studying out Michael and his many names in the bible you will see that it is Jesus our Lord and savior, but I will include more information below.
Do you agree to this study just to say what you believe, not really to study?
I agree to comment, not be a leader, I agree to make comments towards the study of hell which we are no longer studying we are studying something else all together which in my opinion is simple and easy but can be misunderstood by others. Of course eventually this will help when coming down to bible study with others. However, the questions you have asked while some what simple to answer but in my opinion can't be put in simple answers more study is required. so I submit the questions to my pastor who has been overwhelmed with other duties and I have no had chance to sit down with him. but he understands that I would like his knowledge on this. However. he did provide me with something simple which I will place in here.

Thank you!
Also, please ask him about Daniel. For you, did he ascend to heaven with the other saints?
The scriptures say:

Dan. 12: 2 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.
13But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days.

None of the people you have mention as we know or as the bible say have ascended to heaven. It says the graves were opened. We don't know who came out of them. Don't you think its strange that there is no more mentioned of those returned from the dead. When Lazarus was woken from the grave, there was much talk about it. People came to see him, others plotted to kill him.
Matthew 27:51-54
King James Version (KJV)
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

John 11:43
And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. the voice of the Archangel

John 12:1
Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.

John 12:2
There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.

John 12:9
Much people of the Jews therefore knew that he was there: and they came not for Jesus' sake only, but that they might see Lazarus also, whom he had raised from the dead.

John 12:10
But the chief priests consulted that they might put Lazarus also to death;

John 12:17
The people therefore that was with him when he called Lazarus out of his grave, and raised him from the dead, bare record.

Last edited:

blazingthru

No One Has Seen the Father
Suddenly we have more leads than we can follow at once. The "angel of the Lord" is clearly shown to be God. But the Bible states, "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him" (John 1:18). John 6:46 tells us, "Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father." Obviously, since no man has seen God the Father, all of these Old Testament sightings of God as the "angel of the Lord" must have been Jesus, God the Son, veiling His glory so they could endure His presence without being consumed.

As you stated before no man has seen God, But they have seen the Archangel or who is like God, or Who is like God. Jesus, Michael the prince of peace. It never occurred to me that beings can exist in heaven and never see God. But Jesus is God isn't that correct? Michael threw Satan and his demons out of heaven, who is Michael that he and his angels can throw Satan and 1/3 of the angels out of heaven? He is the Chief.
Rebuking the Accuser
There is one more important reference where the angel of the Lord appears in the Old Testament. The prophet Zechariah was given a vision of Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord. Satan is standing at his right hand to resist him. Here we see two adversaries contending over a sinful human being. In this case the sin is represented by Joshua's filthy garments (Zechariah 3:3).

In this narrative the name changes quickly from "the angel of the Lord" (verse 1) to "the Lord" (verse 2), indicating again that they are one and the same. Then the Lord makes an interesting statement. "And the Lord said unto Satan, The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan" (Zechariah 3:2) There is only one other place in Scripture, Jude verse nine, where this sentence is found, and it is spoken by Michael the archangel!

In the small New Testament epistle of Jude we see a vignette similar to Joshua and the angel in the book of Zechariah. "Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee" (Jude 1:9). The situations are amazingly parallel. Christ and Satan are contending over a sinner. A live one in the case of Joshua, and a dead one in the case of Moses. The debate is ended abruptly when Jesus says, "The Lord rebuke thee." Jesus also rebuked the devil when He was tempted in the wilderness. "And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan" (Luke 4:8).

Michael the Prince
Isaiah's prophecy about the Messiah (Isaiah 9:6) reveals a key word that bears investigating. One of the names he says that would apply to the Messiah is "Prince of Peace." This immediately reminds us of the three verses in Daniel in which Michael is called a "prince."

There is another verse in Daniel where the "Prince of princes" is mentioned. Again the cosmic conflict is being played out with Christ on one side and the devil on the other, with humanity serving as the battlefield. Symbolic names identify the two arch foes. Both struggle to gain control, Satan against our will and Christ only with our willingness.

"Prince of princes" is actually the same term that is translated "prince of the host" in verse 11. This is similar to "Lord of lords" (Psalm 136:3), "God of gods" (Deuteronomy 10:17), and "King of kings" (Revelation 19:16). All these are titles of deity. He is even referred to as "Messiah the Prince" (Daniel 9:25).

blazingthru

One, or First?
Daniel 10:13 is probably the most difficult verse regarding Michael: "But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me." It appears at first glance that Michael is only "one of" the chief princes. This is an unfortunate translation in the King James Version. The word "one" comes from the Hebrew word "echad" which also means "first," as in "first day" (Genesis 1:5). This changes the whole meaning of the verse to Michael being first of, or highest of, the chief princes. Again, a reference to Jesus.

The Voice of Michael
If we take the term "Michael the archangel" and examine the word "archangel," we see another interesting match. The only other passage in the Bible that uses the word "archangel" is 1 Thessalonians 4:16. But look at its context. "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first." It is the voice of the archangel that raises the dead in Christ, and the Lord Himself who shouts it. This indicates that they are one and the same. Jesus is the one who shouts with the voice of the archangel, or "greatest Messenger," to raise the dead!

Obviously, angels don't have the power to resurrect the dead. Only God who gives life has the power to restore it. "For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself. … Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth" (John 5:26, 28, 29).

In Jude we see the archangel contending with the devil for the body of Moses, who, incidentally, was resurrected and taken to heaven from whence he appeared on the mount of transfiguration to encourage Christ (Mark 9). In 1 Thessalonians, the apostle Paul describes the resurrection as happening in response to the voice of the archangel. Again we see the parallel between these two verses; both describe the archangel in the act of resurrecting.

When Michael stands up in Daniel chapter 12, there also follows a resurrection, and he is described as the one who, "standeth for the children of thy people" (verse 1). Commenting on this verse, Matthew Henry states: "Michael signifies, 'Who is like God,' and his name, with the title of 'the great Prince,' points out the Divine Savior. Christ stood for the children of our people in their stead as a sacrifice, bore the curse for them, to bear it from them. He stands for them in pleading for them at the throne of grace." Jesus is clearly the one who always stands in our place and for our defense.

Worshiping the Commander
In Revelation, Michael is portrayed as leading the heavenly hosts, or armies, in the war against the rebellious Lucifer that took place there. "And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels" (Revelation 12:7). Here the term "dragon" is a symbolic name for Satan, the leader of evil (verse 9), so it is very safe to assume that Michael is another name for Jesus, the embodiment and leader of good. But there is more evidence.

Just as Israel was preparing for its first battle after crossing into the Promised Land, Joshua had an encounter with an unusual warrior. "And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries? And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the Lord am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant? And the captain of the Lord's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so" (Joshua 5:13-15).

Not only did Joshua worship this being, but the heavenly captain received his worship. If he had been a mere angel, he would have rebuked Joshua just like the angel rebuked John for trying to worship him (see Revelation 19:10; 22:8, 9).

In all the cases where the angel of the Lord accepts worship, it is clearly the Son of God. But where regular created angels are worshiped, they refuse it. Even Jesus reminded Satan in the wilderness, "For it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve" (Luke 4:8).

In fact, all the created angels are commanded to worship Jesus as they did during His first advent. "And again, when he bringeth in the first begotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him" (Hebrews 1:6). The devil is infuriated because he knows that someday even he will be compelled to acknowledge Jesus as king and worship Him. "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:10, 11).

The phrase "Lord of hosts" is found 245 times in the Bible and refers to the "commander of God's angelic army." So the "captain of the Lord's host" that Joshua saw was not an angel, but Jesus Himself. That explains why He demanded that Joshua remove his shoes. The place was holy because Jesus was there, just as Jesus' presence at the burning bush made that ground holy for Moses. So Michael, the captain of the Lord's host, or army, is another title for Jesus.

Who Is as God!
When Phillip asked Jesus to show the disciples the Father, Christ responded: "Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father" (John 14:9).

Some think that God's Son waited 4,000 years to personally intervene in the affairs of man. Not so! Though it is true that the incarnation occurred 4,000 years after man's fall, God the Son has been personally involved in the history and affairs of His people.

What a wonderful truth that Jesus, God's eternal Son, has ever been actively occupied in watching over, providing for, and protecting His children! He spoke face to face with Abraham and Moses and wrestled with Jacob. He led the Israelites through the wilderness, providing food and water and victory against their enemies.

Remember that the title "Michael the archangel" means "The greatest messenger who is as God." It was Jesus, "the image of the invisible God" (Colossians 1:15), who brought the greatest message of hope, the gospel, to our perishing world!

blazingthru

Crowne,

You will have to ask Jesus that question as I have already provided the reason for the other two. It was not for Jesus's benefit only, but for those looking on. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Matt 18:20. They validated that Jesus is the Christ. God said Matthew 18:16
New King James Version (NKJV)
16 But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established

As far as the SDA teachings or concerned, I must say there are no teachings other then the bible. The Bible only and you can hold any bible you want too except other religious bibles. Ellen White has tons of Books that are great for studying and I really like them. However, I don't have time to read them, I collected all of them and plan to purchase 53 of them since they are on the kindle for 10.00 dollars. It is a personal choice if you choose to read her books, they are a wonderful help in explaining text. They really are and its beneficial for everyone. Nevertheless, it's just for studying. It's in not to be preached from or be the end-all of anything it is a help, and she say so in her books. I don't know what else to say. I think SDA has a bad rep because no one takes the time to understand it, but then I have been an Adventist for almost four years, and I am still learning why it not widely received but for me, it is my home. I plan to stay until Jesus comes again.

Last edited:

blazingthru

I think that we share the same view about Gabriel (I am not Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses, so no need to continue on this), let's see about Michael.

Crowne,*Tell me, how can Jesus be one of the chief princes? Dan. 10:13 But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia. http://biblos.com/daniel/10-13.htm

Jesus is the Priest; I think the One is incorrect translation. Which you will find in the King James Translation from time to time and as with other translations in this case you must have your Greek and or Hebrew bibles as well.
‘ll have to come back to this later.

If Jesus is Michael the chief prince, why in Daniel 10:13 does it read that Michael is rather “one of” the chief princes?

Let us go back to what the Hebrew word “sar” means. It is translated “prince” in this case, but according to Strong’s Hebrew Definitions, it can also mean “head, ruler, chief, master, governor.” Do you think that these are titles that can also be applied to God the Father, and to the Holy Spirit?

[/B]

1 John 5:7
(7) For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

There are three that bear record in heaven. Any “one of” these can be the “chief” or “head.” No wonder the bible speaks of a God-head (Acts 17:27), for all three, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, are head over all things. Each played a part in creating man, even the Holy Spirit (Job 33:4), therefore each deserve such titles as these. Jesus, or Michael, is “one of” the chiefs or head of the heavenly trio.

Genesis 31:11-13
New King James Version (NKJV)
11 Then the Angel of God spoke to me in a dream, saying, ‘Jacob.’ And I said, ‘Here I am.’ 12 And He said, ‘Lift your eyes now and see, all the rams which leap on the flocks are streaked, speckled, and gray-spotted; for I have seen all that Laban is doing to you. 13 I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed the pillar and where you made a vow to Me. Now arise, get out of this land, and return to the land of your family.’” "angel of God" identifies Himself: "I am the God of Beth-el, where thou anointedst the pillar, and where thou vowedst a vow unto me." Then, when Jacob wrestled with a heavenly being (Genesis 32:22-32), he was given a new name and blessed. Jacob called the name of the place Peniel, "For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved" (verse 30). In the New Testament, Jesus is the one who blesses His people and gives them a new name (Matthew 5:3-12; Revelation 2:17). Clearly, the angel of the Lord is Jesus Himself

When Jacob was on his death bed blessing Joseph's two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, he used the terms "angel" and "God" interchangeably. "God, before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac did walk, the God which fed me all my life long unto this day, The Angel which redeemed me from all evil, bless the lads" (Genesis 48:15, 16). Once again we see that the angel who redeemed Jacob is another name for our Redeemer, Jesus!
And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush" (Exodus 3:2). Verse four identifies this angel: "God called unto him out of the midst of the bush." And in verse six He identifies Himself. "I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." The angel of the Lord identifies Himself as God!

In his last sermon before he was stoned to death, Stephen agrees with the Exodus account. "And when forty years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of mount Sina an angel of the Lord in a flame of fire in a bush. When Moses saw it, he wondered at the sight: and as he drew near to behold it, the voice of the Lord came unto him, Saying, I am the God of thy fathers, the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob" (Acts 7:30-32).
In another instance, the children of Israel were led through the wilderness by God, "And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night" (Exodus 13:21). Moses describes it this way: "And the angel of God, which went before the camp of Israel, removed and went behind them; and the pillar of the cloud went from before their face, and stood behind them" (Exodus 14:19). Again, "the angel of God" is identified as God.
Samson's mother, the wife of Manoah, was barren. "And the angel of the Lord appeared unto the woman" (Judges 13:3). This angel told her she would bear a son who would deliver the apostate Israelites from their heathen oppressors. She quickly called Manoah, who prayed for another visit from the "man of God." When the angel came the second time, Manoah asked him his name. The King James Version of the Bible says that the angel told Manoah that his name was "Secret," with a margin notation that translates it as "Wonderful." This immediately makes us think of Isaiah's familiar prophecy that the name of the coming Messiah would be "Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" (Isaiah 9:6). The name "Wonderful" for the angel of the Lord who appeared to Manoah connects this "angel" with the coming Messiah who was to be called "Wonderful."

*If Michael is Jesus, how is it that he had not rebuked the devil? *Why did he refer to the Lord?
Good Question: I posted this already but here it is again. The angel of the Lord appears in the Old Testament. The prophet Zechariah was given a vision of Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord. Satan is standing at his right hand to resist him. Here we see two adversaries contending over a sinful human being. Joshua's filthy garment symbolizes his sin. (Zechariah 3:3).
In this narrative, the name changes quickly from "the angel of the Lord" (verse 1) to "the Lord" (verse 2), indicating again that they are the same. Then the Lord makes an interesting statement. "And the Lord said unto Satan, The Lord rebuke thee, O Satan" (Zechariah 3:2). There is only one other place in Scripture, Jude 9, where this sen- tence is found—and Michael the archangel speaks it!
In the short epistle of Jude, we witness a vignette similar to Joshua and the angel in Zechariah. "Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee" (Jude 1:9). The situations are amazingly parallel: Christ and Satan are contending over the fate of two of God’s great human leaders (a living one in the case of Joshua, and a dead one in the case of Moses). The debate is ended abruptly when Jesus says, "The Lord rebuke thee."

This passage raises another valid question. Some people are confused by part of this verse in Jude 1:9 where Michael rebukes the devil. They wonder: If Michael is really another name for Jesus, then why does he invoke the name of the Lord when rebuking Satan? Why not do it Himself as He did when tempted in the wilderness. "Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan" (Matthew 4:10).
In studying the Scriptures and language of Jesus, we quickly see it was a very common practice for Jesus to speak of Himself in the second person, as in Luke 18:8: "Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" And if there is still any lingering question, we have this other clear Scripture in Zechariah 3:2, where the Lord does the same thing Michael does in Jude. He invokes His own name when rebuking the devil. "And the LORD said to Satan, 'The LORD rebuke you, Satan!'" Perhaps these Scriptures are examples of God the Son, appealing to the name of His Father in rebuking Satan.

Jude 9Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.
As the Lord did it in:
Mat. 17: 18And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
Mk 9: 25When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.

Last edited:

Galadriel

blazingthru, I have found that people who believe the archangel Michael is Jesus also reject the Trinity and that Jesus is God. Do you believe in the Trinity and that Jesus is divine (True God) as God the Father is?

blazingthru

blazingthru, I have found that people who believe the archangel Michael is Jesus also reject the Trinity and that Jesus is God. Do you believe in the Trinity and that Jesus is divine (True God) as God the Father is?

Galadriel, I am an Adventist but that doesn't mean that all Adventist believe what I believe. So that no one would think that because I post, means I represent all Adventist I do not, some do not believe. Just as with any church you have members that do not believe all that is taught in the pulpit or bible study. We all have our own walk with God and we all don't get to the same understanding as our other brothers and sister and that is fine as long as we continue on the journey. The bible reference Michael as Jesus or the Angel Of God over and over that is how we determine that they are one in the same. Michael has power to bring life? God has given this power to Jesus has he not, but at no time has he given this power to an Angel. God the father, Jesus the son and the Holy Spirit are separate yet or the same or one. But mainly one in purpose. Trinity is not a biblical word.

In the Hebrew mind, One means Unity.

Matthew 28:19
King James Version (KJV)
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

2 Corinthians 13:13-14
King James Version (KJV)
13 All the saints salute you. 14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

John 5:17-47
King James Version (KJV)
17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. 1 Thessalonians 4:16
For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, Hear who's voice? Jesus or the ArchAngel, who is the ArchAngel Michael or Jesus, or they one and the same, it appears that they are one and the same.

29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

What I believe, I believe in the bible, I believe that the word is true, or there mistake yes there can be some minor mistakes in grammar or not transferring the correct word from greek and hebrew to english text. But the bible is my standard and God the father and Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit or all of God yet separate, yet a Unit, that agree on the same purpose and each has its own function. The father, the Word and the Holy Ghost are united in their purpose of creation, of redemption, and saving man.

Here again is all three together yet separate
Matthew 3:16-17 (King James Version)

Matthew 3:16-17
King James Version (KJV)
16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

God says there is only one God though. We base our beliefs on what is in the word and that is there is only one God. there separate entities but one God
Isaiah 44:6-8
King James Version (KJV)
6 Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them.

8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.
John 17:3
King James Version (KJV)
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent

1 Timothy 2:5
King James Version (KJV)
5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus

However, Jesus is proclaimed as God by God and himself and others.

John 1:1-4
King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 14:6
King James Version (KJV)
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Psalm 90:2
King James Version (KJV)
2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

Revelation 1:8 ( Jesus says this)
King James Version (KJV)
8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

My apologies for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I answered your questions. I am not a pastor, and evangelist, I am a christian trying my best to be close to God and hoping to be a blessing to someone else. There are tons of text about God and all of those text are applied to the Christ as well. I believe God, the Word, and the Holy Spirit or one yet separate entities based on my studies in the bible.

Galadriel

Thank you for taking the time to answer :yep:.

Even though the Trinity is not a term found in the Bible, it is the term applied to a Biblical truth (i.e., that there is one God who exists as three distinct Persons).

I would also put forth that Michael is an archangel, and Jesus is God--thus they cannot be one and the same (as an angel is not and cannot be God).

@Galadriel, I am an Adventist but that doesn't mean that all Adventist believe what I believe. So that no one would think that because I post, means I represent all Adventist I do not, some do not believe. Just as with any church you have members that do not believe all that is taught in the pulpit or bible study. We all have our own walk with God and we all don't get to the same understanding as our other brothers and sister and that is fine as long as we continue on the journey. The bible reference Michael as Jesus or the Angel Of God over and over that is how we determine that they are one in the same. Michael has power to bring life? God has given this power to Jesus has he not, but at no time has he given this power to an Angel. God the father, Jesus the son and the Holy Spirit are separate yet or the same or one. But mainly one in purpose. Trinity is not a biblical word.

In the Hebrew mind, One means Unity.

Matthew 28:19
King James Version (KJV)
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

2 Corinthians 13:13-14
King James Version (KJV)
13 All the saints salute you. 14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

John 5:17-47
King James Version (KJV)
17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. 1 Thessalonians 4:16
For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, Hear who's voice? Jesus or the ArchAngel, who is the ArchAngel Michael or Jesus, or they one and the same, it appears that they are one and the same.

29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

What I believe, I believe in the bible, I believe that the word is true, or there mistake yes there can be some minor mistakes in grammar or not transferring the correct word from greek and hebrew to english text. But the bible is my standard and God the father and Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit or all of God yet separate, yet a Unit, that agree on the same purpose and each has its own function. The father, the Word and the Holy Ghost are united in their purpose of creation, of redemption, and saving man.

Here again is all three together yet separate
Matthew 3:16-17 (King James Version)

Matthew 3:16-17
King James Version (KJV)
16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

God says there is only one God though. We base our beliefs on what is in the word and that is there is only one God. there separate entities but one God
Isaiah 44:6-8
King James Version (KJV)
6 Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them.

8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.
John 17:3
King James Version (KJV)
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent

1 Timothy 2:5
King James Version (KJV)
5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus

However, Jesus is proclaimed as God by God and himself and others.

John 1:1-4
King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 14:6
King James Version (KJV)
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Psalm 90:2
King James Version (KJV)
2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

Revelation 1:8 ( Jesus says this)
King James Version (KJV)
8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

My apologies for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I answered your questions. I am not a pastor, and evangelist, I am a christian trying my best to be close to God and hoping to be a blessing to someone else. There are tons of text about God and all of those text are applied to the Christ as well. I believe God, the Word, and the Holy Spirit or one yet separate entities based on my studies in the bible.

blazingthru

It doesn't say he is an Angel, it says ArchAngel but it does not mean what we think it means. He is not an angel. It is not an opinion, it is not my opinion. We learn who is who by studying the words and how they are interchangeable, or how they apply to both God and Jesus and Michael and Jesus are one in the same. God calls Jesus God. The word ‘angel’ is used many ways in the Bible. King David was called an angel and he was a human.
The Bible tells us that it is Michael who intercedes for God's people in Daniel 12:1. Jesus is also known as our Intercessor. When this archangel, the general of the Lord's army appeared to Joshua, Joshua took off his shoes and worshipped him.
We also read in the book of Jude that it is Michael who resurrects Moses. And of course, Jesus is the Resurrection. We also read that the Lord is going to descend with the voice of the archangel, and we know clearly that Jesus is the one who's going to descend. An angel means ‘a messenger’. Cherubim and seraphim are specific creatures that we often call angels. Michael, the Archangel, is a title for the highest messenger who is as God. That’s what that means. When it says, the Lord Himself comes down from heaven with the voice of the Archangel it means the Lord comes with the voice of the greatest messenger. Directly from the Greek, that’s what it’s saying. And if you go to Daniel 12:1 it says: At that time shall Michael stand up, the great Prince that stands for the children of thy people.