Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

beingofserenity

I finally got the best bun ever. and now I'm no longer irritated by my hair as I was a few days ago. For bunning, I have to use gel because nothing else smooths my hair enough or gets rid of flyaways. Unfortunately, gel dries my hair out and makes is look super ashy. So, it look like I have to apply a layer of beeswax and then a layer of gel. The beeswax keeps my hair from reverting and shrinking and also provides moisture, while the gel keeps everything laid flat and professional looking. It also takes away the stickiness of the beeswax.

Hope this helps someone else. It's been a battle trying to keep my hair looking polished without resorting to some sort of weave.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I finally got the best bun ever. and now I'm no longer irritated by my hair as I was a few days ago. For bunning, I have to use gel because nothing else smooths my hair enough or gets rid of flyaways. Unfortunately, gel dries my hair out and makes is look super ashy. So, it look like I have to apply a layer of beeswax and then a layer of gel. The beeswax keeps my hair from reverting and shrinking and also provides moisture, while the gel keeps everything laid flat and professional looking. It also takes away the stickiness of the beeswax.

Hope this helps someone else. It's been a battle trying to keep my hair looking polished without resorting to some sort of weave.

Wow. Thanks for sharing! So glad for you!

YvetteWithJoy

On break

What beeswax do you use? Where do you purchase it? How do you apply it? Thanks in advance!

Evolving78

Likewise but my hair is really dry because I'm not washing / conditioning frequently. :nono:
I understand. lol I'm trying not to look like who did it and why! I feel like I have control over something when I clean or wash my hair. But you know I got OCD, so don't pay my looney butt any mind! lol I finished my paper....but the computer restarted when I was proofreading it. I lost it! It's gone! And I believe I saved an older version over what I was currently working on..

Royalq

Aaahhh, im such a hair dork. So i ordered some professional hair shears off amazon because my conair ones were just bending my hair and not cutting it. I think its one of the reasons i keep getting splits and ssks. Anyways my order finally came today and im so hype to trim my hair tomorrow. I tried it on a few ssks and splits and it cuts so sharp, like butter. Im planning to trim 1-1.5 inches. My ends are so weathered and beat up. The scissors came in a cute little leather protective case too.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I understand. lol I'm trying not to look like who did it and why! I feel like I have control over something when I clean or wash my hair. But you know I got OCD, so don't pay my looney butt any mind! lol I finished my paper....but the computer restarted when I was proofreading it. I lost it! It's gone! And I believe I saved an older version over what I was currently working on..
:eek: :eek: :eek::cry3:

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
Aaahhh, im such a hair dork. So i ordered some professional hair shears off amazon because my conair ones were just bending my hair and not cutting it. I think its one of the reasons i keep getting splits and ssks. Anyways my order finally came today and im so hype to trim my hair tomorrow. I tried it on a few ssks and splits and it cuts so sharp, like butter. Im planning to trim 1-1.5 inches. My ends are so weathered and beat up. The scissors came in a cute little leather protective case too.
You reminded me that I should trim my ends today.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
Im hoping that with new sharper shears and a revamped hair regi that focuses on extra ends care i will be trimming my hair less this year. Last year i retained only 1 inch because i had to keep trimming and chasing weathered ends and ssks.
How often do you intend to trim? When I'm serious about gaining length I will dust monthly. If I'm doing more protective styling I'll do a quarterly 1/2 trim. I'm currently barely coming my hair :lol: so I may need to cut an inch off today.

Royalq

How often do you intend to trim? When I'm serious about gaining length I will dust monthly. If I'm doing more protective styling I'll do a quarterly 1/2 trim. I'm currently barely coming my hair :lol: so I may need to cut an inch off today.
If all goes well I'm hoping to trim ever 3 months. I'm a very slow grower so trimming or dusting frequently will result in no gains. I gain about 3.5 inches a year, 4 if I protective style the whole year straight. So I need to keep my ends as healthy as possible to avoid unnecessary trimming.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My Wet Brush bristles are acting up. I rooted through all my hair stuff and found the Denman brush I bought from Sally's awhile back but have yet to use much.

I rewatched Naptural85's video on how to modify your Denman brush and did it. :yep: Pretty simple!

In the "you might want to watch this next" feed was a video by OhGinelle about how to train your natural hair with a Denman brush. INTERESTING. I don't know if I can add that kind of time into my wash day. We'll see.

I did NOT like using the Denman brush. AT ALL.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I liked it when i was a twa. But as my hair grew the denman became impossible to use. It started to inflict more damage on my hair

I'm sorry but a denman is not for Type 4 hair. I bought it and modified the bristles and it was still a bust. Gave it away to a Type 3 who said she would use it on her Type 4 daughter. I told her no, but #kanyeshrug

Idk how Naptural doing it, and though we share the same hair type, that's one of the few things I cannot take from her.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Was it the rubber base? That is what kept me from buying it years ago.

I modified the Denman brush, per Naptural85's and others' advice, by removing every other row of teeth. Supposedly this makes it less damaging. I don't know if that was the reason that the remaining teeth wouldn't stay "standing up," but as I used it, one row of teeth started rotating and laying down due to my pulling it through my hair.

Also, it didn't glide through my hair like my Wet Brush does. So I ended up kinda using a picking motion with it to get through the bottom of the section, then moving up and using the picking motion again, etc.

I had a LOT of very, very slippery product in my hair. This mattered not.

It all just SEEMED to put a lot of tension on my hair, especially my ends.

Yeah. Not gerner be able to do it. No, nuhn uhn, not at this juncture.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I modified the Denman brush, per Naptural85's and others' advice, by removing every other row of teeth. Supposedly this makes it less damaging. I don't know if that was the reason that the remaining teeth wouldn't stay "standing up," but as I used it, one row of teeth started rotating and laying down due to my pulling it through my hair.

Also, it didn't glide through my hair like my Wet Brush does. So I ended up kinda using a picking motion with it to get through the bottom of the section, then moving up and using the picking motion again, etc.

I had a LOT of very, very slippery product in my hair. This mattered not.

It all just SEEMED to put a lot of tension on my hair, especially my ends.

Yeah. Not gerner be able to do it. No, nuhn uhn, not at this juncture.

All of this. I used it with a ton of Aussie.Moist. And it still didn't work. Comon?

@YvetteWithJoy I believe that rubber base, which was designed to reduce static in mainly white people's hair, can cause undue friction on ours, leading to future damage. The teeth bending enough to cause problems sounds like a defective product to me.

It's not defective. Just can't handle the hair because that's exactly what was happening to me :laugh:

I feel like low shine/high sheen affects usage too.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy and @Sharpened have you all heard of the Txturepro comb? I just saw the video below. She makes it look so easy though.

I feel like I have vaguely. Thanks for sharing, because I eventually want to find something that improves upon my Wet Brush, product quality-wise. Many bristles have sunk down into the base and won't stay up if I pull them back up (they resink). I'm over it. I'm now using my Ouidad Double Detangling Comb and my fingers. It's taking longer, but I utterly refuse to purchase a Wet Brush every 3 months or so. There's gotta be another option. I'm going to looking into the Txturepro. I can't remember why I remember hearing about it. Maybe it was a rave or because it was novel. I don't know!

Thanks, chica. :smile: Off to Google (I don't think I'm going to make it to my church service today unless hubby just REALLY wants to go. I'm exhausted.)

YvetteWithJoy

On break
All of this. I used it with a ton of Aussie.Moist. And it still didn't work. Comon?

It's not defective. Just can't handle the hair because that's exactly what was happening to me :laugh:

I feel like low shine/high sheen affects usage too.

Ooooo, @Saludable84. Thanks for the affirmation and for posting. This will save me thought, energy, money, research time, hair damage . . . yes, all that! :yep: 'Cause I might have tried to buy another if someone raved about it again. :lol:

:kiss:

Royalq

What damage did you experience?
It would cause too much tension no matter what product I used. Its too teeth-dense even though I took out some rows. The teeth are set up too close together for my hair texture. It would rip through tangles which lead to damage and split ends. When my hair was 4 inches long the Denman didn't have to travel far. But now my hair is 17 inches long and the Denman simply cannot travel the length of my hair without snagging. I got splits and broken ends messing with that brush.

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
Any recommendations for a protein and silicone free leave-in that's light? My hair seems to hate CRN curl milk now. For whatever reason my hair is now hating all heavy products. I've clarified but anything heavier than apricot oil my hair hates. I was back on team grease but now that's a no-go as well. Idk what's causing this change in my hair but I'll roll with it.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Any recommendations for a protein and silicone free leave-in that's light? My hair seems to hate CRN curl milk now. For whatever reason my hair is now hating all heavy products. I've clarified but anything heavier than apricot oil my hair hates. I was back on team grease but now that's a no-go as well. Idk what's causing this change in my hair but I'll roll with it.

It might be the season. Oyin Hair Dew.