Can wigs and hair falls protect hair?

G

The reason I ask is because my Mom got a wig catalog, and my eyes nearly jumped out of my head! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Wigs ARE NOT what they used to be! There were so many styles although I preferred the longer ones!! I was soooo excited that I marked down the ones that I wanted to order. And then, just when I thought that was it....I flipped some more pages....and came across FALLS! They were soooo gorgeous. Ah goodness, I can't wait til the summer comes, so I can wear them sometimes, on and off, but are they good for the hair???

PS-This was the catalog that came in the mail! Especially Yours

beana3

Yeah i've ordered from them before. I have 2 wigs and a hair clip-on extension kit (which looks weird if i put it in now because my OWN hair is longer than the peices!)

I think thw wigs and falls can be counted as a protective style. they guard the hair from the elements. I find mine very useful during the colder months because they add warmth and they protect from the frigid temps. AmiLlion introduced me to these "styling options"

go ahead and order yourself a wig!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Girl, I am an especially yours fan, I have quite a few pieces from them. They are a good way to protect your hair and let it rest from styling, BUT take it from me put something on your head like a silk scarf.

Dont use those wig caps they are stocking caps and the nylon will break your hair.

skegeesmb

That is soooo true. My friends used wigs, but where the cap was her hair broke off badly. The hair everywhere else grew fine. Just be careful of the crown area, the scarf idea seems like a good one.

G

Hey guys! This is the one I want! *bouncing up and down in chair* /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have 2 views of it!

This one is all the way on the right side corner, and the lady has a choker on with a flower attached.

1st view

This is the original view.
2nd view

MSCHICHI

argghhhh,

I wrote a long post then it disappeared. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

I just wanted to say I have so many wigs that I am afraid to count /images/graemlins/blush.gif

They were causing some hairline breakage, because I was pinning so vigilantly, which I need to calm down on. I am also going to switch to a satin scully, as opposed to the net I was wearing. Sometimes they can also bother you after wearing them all day. But they are fantastic for experimenting with color. I have them in black, brown, blonde, red....... People don't know what to think, because they look so believeable, and they don't ever guess it to be a wig. if you know know me , you would swear it was mine.

I haven't been wearing them lately, because I have been doing the press and bun it thing. I do intend on getting a bunch of falls, because they don't stress your hairline, and are faster to put on and easier to wear than wigs. I only have about 3 of those right now. The ones they have been coming out with lately are too pretty.

I would love to post some pics, but I don't have them downloaded to a server. Is there some other way I can post pics?

Anyway, if done right, they can be just as protective as weaving all your hair away, especially if you braid your hair up in small cornrows underneath.

MSCHICHI

I get the catalogue from Especially yours and Beverly Johnson. The thing is, neither have enough different kinds of falls, IMO.

Sensationnel and Outre have some of the best falls, and biggest selections I have seen. Sensationnel calls it an "instant weave, and Outre calls it a "quick weave"-that one could cause some confusion because a quick weave is actually something entirely different.

The websites are:

http://www.sensationnel.com

and

http://www.outrehair.com

The only thing is, I don't think they have direct ordering from their own websites, but I did a yahoo search, and you can order their styles from different companies online.

azul11

i'm digging the instant weave even though it looks to me to be a partial wig. i saw this advertised in a store. i would love to wear this especially to protect my ends in this weather. has anyone ever tried one of these. i think this is like having your hair out but still protecting it.

are there realistic wigs that dont cost a lot. the site i just saw with the instant weave had wigs but you could tell the were wigs. it looked like it was just sitting on top of the people's heads like an animal that just laid there. i think the natural skin looking part may make a difference. that part with no skin looks fake imho. and maybe its the ladies' heads but some of them look like one good wind and the thing would fly off. is the especially yours a better deal? God bless you all.

ngaa

thanx for postin them links MSCHICHI and also for clearin up the whole confusion i had between a fall and a quick weave...i am very interested in the falls/quick weaves coz they'd look more natural coz u'd be able to blend yo hair in the front /images/graemlins/smirk.gif
[wishin i lived in the states,so i cud order from catalogue]

honeycomb719

I wear wigs all the time. People always think there my on hair. I get asked so much "is that your hair" that I tell some people yes. The quick weaves are nice too because you can get them cut in any style you want. I like wearing them in the winter because they keep my head warm /images/graemlins/grin.gif I was wondering if I was doing damage to my hairline, but haven't noticed anything to cause alarm, But, I plan on trying the satin scully thing.

Madison

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
skegeesmb said:
That is soooo true. My friends used wigs, but where the cap was her hair broke off badly. The hair everywhere else grew fine. Just be careful of the crown area, the scarf idea seems like a good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

i use the net cap and what i do is pull it just below my hair line its worked fine so far.

Madison

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
azul11 said:
the site i just saw with the instant weave had wigs but you could tell the were wigs. it looked like it was just sitting on top of the people's heads like an animal that just laid there. i think the natural skin looking part may make a difference. that part with no skin looks fake imho. and maybe its the ladies' heads but some of them look like one good wind and the thing would fly off. is the especially yours a better deal? God bless you all.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

those wigs have not been thinned out. all my wigs look big and thick when i purchase them. you have to buy these scissors -i forget the name but they are specially made for thinning out hair. once i get through with them no one can tell that they are wigs. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

I don't know. I think some of the ones from Especially Yours are human hair, and I am guessing some of the ones from Sensationnel are too. I have some Sensationnel weaving hair at home, and the stuff is good quality, so I can only imagine how good the wigs are too.

Carrie, thanks for posting that link. I will order from then perhaps, if I can't find them in the store I normally go to.

Thanks again. /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

azul11

has anyone bought these in stores or is this only available through a catalogue. i see the ads on the door and inside of beauty supply stores at least in nyc but i never went in to get one or even look for one. do they sell these in stores. i would love the quick weave. i love the idea of just adding the hair to my own hair. protecting my hair and giving it a new style. has anyone tried these quick weaves. i really would like to get one. God bless you all.

honeycomb719

You can have your on quick weave made. I had one made a week ago. My friend did it for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif All you have to do is buy your on hair on the track, get two stocking caps, use a manniguin head or have it done on your head. Make sure the stylist split the weave in half(meaning on the track seperate the hair at the seem) have hair glue to stocking cap in circle until you have a small circle left at the top(crown) of head and close up carefully. This part takes skill but can be done. This part is critical to making the wig look natural on how good it's closed up. Then cut and style as you want. This takes about a bundle and a half of hair, but it's worth it.

As far as the wigs causing the hair to thin out. I think it will if you wear it to much. I give my hair a break on the weekends when possible. I work 3 1/2 days a week so my hair gets alot of air and rest from my wig when I don't have to work.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I have a human hair wig from Especially Yours and get their catalog too. They've got some decent styles...IMO. People thought the wig was my own hair because I cut it a little shorter and curled it with a curling iron to look like my hair. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I just started wearing the wig again a few days ago. I plan to wear it for 2 or 3 months while I grow my hair out a bit and give it a rest from styling. It's also great for keeping my head warm at work because it's cold there and I was previously wearing a knit hat inside!

Especially Yours is pretty good about returns too.

Where do you get a silk or satin scully?

chollis718

Karonica,

I was so amazed to see the versatilty with the wigs. I am really considering buying one or maybe two. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Those are really hot.

G

Yip. Me too! Although that's where all of my tax refund may go. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thanks Honeycomb! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A

AmilLion

Ladies, here's some pictures of falls: