Benefits of NOT greasing the scalp?

gabrielle2

i have a friend that i tried to convince to stop the hair grease for a minute on her daughter..JUST to see if it was causing the dandruff problem. she kept complaining of dandruff..and said the more i grease her scalp...the more she has. we havent talked about it since then.

but i will say that when i was relaxed, i too greased my scalp and i had dandruff. never so much of a problem..but i had it. however, i stopped greasing a few months before transitioning and i had to LOOK for dandruff..go figure

patience

Falon and Dolce_Dawn,

Ya'll ain't right!

J

JenniferMD

My mom still uses grease and trys to get me to use it too. I think that when the scalp is dry, you need to wash your hair and not cover up the problem with grease. My mom has dandruff problems and I think the grease is the culprit....I'll remind her that a dry scalp calls for a wash not grease

PrettyBrownEyes

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
My mom still uses grease and trys to get me to use it too. I think that when the scalp is dry, you need to wash your hair and not cover up the problem with grease. My mom has dandruff problems and I think the grease is the culprit....I'll remind her that a dry scalp calls for a wash not grease

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Grease didnt clog my pores.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY HEY NOW... watch it!

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY HEY NOW... watch it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're taking her comment the wrong way. With the majority of people, grease cloggs their pores and it's good for you that that doesn't happen.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

HEY HEY NOW... watch it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're taking her comment the wrong way. With the majority of people, grease cloggs their pores and it's good for you that that doesn't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I was just kidding around...dont take me serious on here

Nutmeg

Whenever I've put grease or oils directly on my scalp, I get itching that is out of this world (and I do NOT have a sensitive scalp). I've always taken that to mean that the grease/oil is probably clogging the pores, and there's no benefit in that.

oglorious1

Mixologist
I'm gonna burst the bubble guys, I have to grease my scalp, after experiencing hair loss in 1999 to seborric dermatitis, I can't go more than a couple of days without greasing my scalp, even after washing I can see the dry, scaly, cracked skin. Now I'm using my own concotion recently that I made and it seems to be working for me, so hopefully I can drop the stuff I bought in the store and replace it with my homemade stuff.

Dolce_Dawn

[ QUOTE ]
oglorious1 said:
I'm gonna burst the bubble guys, I have to grease my scalp, after experiencing hair loss in 1999 to seborric dermatitis, I can't go more than a couple of days without greasing my scalp, even after washing I can see the dry, scaly, cracked skin. Now I'm using my own concotion recently that I made and it seems to be working for me, so hopefully I can drop the stuff I bought in the store and replace it with my homemade stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not bursting the bubble
We were just answering the question whether it was NECESSARY to grease the scalp to grow hair. We know that there are still many who do. You're in good company!

Patrice

I stopped greasing my scalp this year and it is one of the best things that I have done for both my hair and scalp scince, the only time grease touches my scalp now is before I get a relaxer for base. Other than that Im a grease free sistah

Karonica

Grease didn't clog my pores either. I only stopped using it because I was tired of my hair feeling greasy. I use oils on my scalp now.

greAtness333

I wish I could agree with you all but I get a really dry scalp, not dandruff, but I "grease" my scalp with shea butter esp. in the winter to keep it moisturized. I'm trying to lay off in the summer and see how it works.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
greAtness333 said:
I wish I could agree with you all but I get a really dry scalp, not dandruff, but I "grease" my scalp with shea butter esp. in the winter to keep it moisturized. I'm trying to lay off in the summer and see how it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

shea butter isnt your typical "grease" anyway. The typical grease usually has Pertoleum, and Mineral Oil as one of the primary ingredients

TigerLily

When I used oil, my hair was weighed down and I had dandruff all of the time. When I stopped greasing my scalp, the oil stopped.

lonei

Thank you so much ladies and gentlemen. I didnt realise how many of you didnt grease their scalp, I will definately try it next time I relax, I have been doing it whilst air drying and have had no problems whatsoever. Thanks again...

greAtness333

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
greAtness333 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

shea butter isnt your typical "grease" anyway. The typical grease usually has Pertoleum, and Mineral Oil as one of the primary ingredients

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, thanks for clearing that up

missykeyana

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
I didnt see any benefits with grease so i stopped wasting my time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. Nothing happened when I quit (several years before I went natural) so I didn't see the point.

Ericka

I stopped greasing my scalp about 5 years ago and noticed that my scalp feels so much better and my hair gets less dirty in a weeks time. Best thing I ever done for my hair.