Benefits of NOT greasing the scalp?

lonei

What are they? I had always been taught that greasing the scalp is imperative for growth, is there any truth in this?

Dolce_Dawn

I can tell you right now that it is NOT imperative to hair growth. Some people still do it, but a lot do not and have a head full of hair. Your scalp already secretes natural oils so you don't need to put extra on top. Oil/grease does not necessarily fight dandruff or a dry scalp. This I know PERSONALLY. It may hide the appearance of these conditions, but certainly does not cure or aid in the fight.

I guess the benefit besides having clean and clear pores on your head is that your hair will have more movement and lay differently. It will rspond to styling diff also and not be so "heavy". Try not greasing your scalp for a couple of washes and let us know how you feel about it.

candibaby

i dont know, i was always taught that too. i do know my hair has more body when i dont grease it, so I only put a teenie tiny bit of grease on my hair once or twice a month just to keep my scalp from being dry. i haven't noticed any increase or decrease in growth since i stopped greasing my scalp on the regular.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I noticed when I used to use grease, I would get more dryness of my scalp. I dont think it hinders hair growth like most people say, but it can weight your hair down if it's put on your hair as well as your scalp. My hair is also more flexible without grease.

candibaby

my scalp doesnt get dryer from using grease. i can put grease on my ends and it will still be bouncy though. (i use allways natural super gro)

Falon

What I read in UBH growth 2000 was that the first grease (Ms. Walker's) was medicated and stimulated the scalp so it helped the hair grow. Plus it protected the hair from the heat of the hot combs. So people started growing longer hair for the first time.

After that, though everyone wanted to jump on the bandwagon to make money and started selling any old grease. And people didn't know any better. So I guess a medicated grease will have some benefit for the scalp but that other stuff probably does nothing.

M_BYRON_M

Some peoples hair does not produce a much natural oils as others .I was once told that if the sclap isnt greased on a regular basis it can get things such as ringworm
I dont no if there is anytruth in this but i can see the logic has anyone else heard of this.

Poohbear

lonei, after viewing your threads, you must be thinking about discontinuing the use of grease. Go ahead girl...toss it out. But if u have benefited more than having problems with it, then keep it as an occasional use thing. I have that Motions Hair and Scalp Conditioner, which is like a grease form, that has been sitting up in my medicine cabinet in my bathroom.
It's about 98% full! But Im finally giving it away to a friend who uses this particular grease that she is running out of.

myco

Any types of grease or moisturizer like Pink Oil, just irritate my scalp and my nose. They also don't provide any moisture to the actual strands of my hair, but I do think that they can create a barrier to hold moisture in after proper conditioning. But then that brings me back to having limp and thin looking hair that won't move, so I don't bother with them.

On the flip side, there are some people on the board that do apply grease to their scalp, especially things like Sulfur 8. I've just never had any use for them on my relaxed hair.

J

JenniferMD

I know for me, greasing really weighs down my hair, that's enough to make me stop using it but I've also heard that it cloggs your pores for hair growth.

patience

The ringworm thing is a MYTH!!!

As for the greasing of the scalp, it does clog the pores. The scalp, like the rest of the body, replinishes its natural oils. Massage the scalp may speed up this process because it helps the blood to circulate better.

If you are going to oil your scalp, I'd suggest using Jojoba oil. It's most closely related to sebum which the body naturally produces anyway. I hope this helps.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
When I stopped using grease 20+ years ago, because I saw no benefit to it, my hair got a LOT THICKER. I didn't think anything of it until my mother mentioned how much thicker my hair was one time when she came to visit me from across the country. I wasn't taking any vitamins or doing anything differently except NOT using grease. Not greasing my scalp has not hurt my hair or scalp at all. Products like Luster's Pink Oil and that Moisture Max product gives me a rash, so I don't use those either.

candibaby

pooh bear, I HATED the Motions Hair & Scalp Conditioner. my mom used to use it, and it STUNK. then it made my hair super greasy, like if it touched it i'd have enough grease on my hands to lotion my legs!

Neroli

The primary benefit for me (I haven't use grease in decades) is clean scalp. I do scalp messages every night before wraping my hair and that seems to provide enough lubrication so that my scalp is never dry. Also, I think grease blocks the pores in the scalp (don't know if I got that right) but it is a barrier to the scalp's ability to "breathe."

I just NEVER liked grease because: weighs down hair; after few days it has an odor (NOT a good odor either!); it makes hair NOT touchable, it's sticky -- I know, I know, you asked for the benefits. . . .

DigitalRain

[ QUOTE ]
M_BYRON_M said:
Some peoples hair does not produce a much natural oils as others .I was once told that if the sclap isnt greased on a regular basis it can get things such as ringworm
I dont no if there is anytruth in this but i can see the logic has anyone else heard of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the grease served as a barrier against the ringworm fungus?

CarolinaAfro

I haven't used hair grease in years. I prefer 100% pure Jojobo oil from the health food store. I never really use it on my scalp just the hair. The scalp makes it's own oils.

happylocks

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
I can tell you right now that it is NOT imperative to hair growth. Some people still do it, but a lot do not and have a head full of hair. Your scalp already secretes natural oils so you don't need to put extra on top.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard that alot about, Natural oils, and this question is for anyone, if ur body is not healthy, wont that make the things producted by the body, kind of unhealthy, or less able too help or be the natural oil, for our hair,
hope that makes sense

I use grease I dont think it is need too have growht or healthy hair, ppl need to change that type of thinking cause they will rely on grease when they should be taking better care of thier hair, but I use grease, cause I like it, I do think it helps, but its not magic, I do think S8 has some magic
, I like grease, I loose less hair when combing my hair out, sometimes the smell, if it has a nice scent, I dont like the grease look,

I have not hear of ring worms for grease either
it could be possible, some of the stuff they put on the market, I would belive

Falon

[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Grease didnt clog my pores.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonie

Benefits for me: Nice clean scalp, no dandruff (yes, oiliness can be a cause of dandruff), no breakouts (maybe this was just me), no itching...and I saw my hair make its first leaps in the growth department AFTER I gave up grease. So whether grease clogs pores or not (and I believe it does), not using it has done me every ounce of good.

Allandra

For me: My scalp is naturally (very) oily. Therefore, the benefit I get of not oiling my scalp is - no extra scalp build up and a much cleaner scalp. The benefit of me having a very oily scalp is - the oil travels down the hair shaft (keeps it moisturized). I have not greased my scalp in years.

Dolce_Dawn

HappyLocks- Unless you've had your scalp injured or removed, your scalp's pores will almost always release some type of oil. Now the AMOUNT may vary, but just like the pores on your body release oils and other fluids (sweat), your head's skin should always do the same. It's just skin.

There may be a disease out there that prevents this from happenin (haven't heard of anything like that, yet). But if there is one, can someone pls enlighten us?

Dolce_Dawn

[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

patience

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
There may be a disease out there that prevents this from happenin (haven't heard of anything like that, yet). But if there is one, can someone pls enlighten us?

[/ QUOTE ]

To my knowledge, I don't know of any specific illnesses off the top of my head. However, I'd think that various cancers OR rather the chemotherapy treatments and certain medications may cause a decrease in the production of sebum for the skin/scalp.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]