Birth control and hair growth

Pumpkin

I think there is a correlation between fast hair growth and the pill. My doctor put me on it because of severe cramping this summer and I really did not see a difference. However last month I stopped taking it I needed spent a long time in between relaxers. I am back on it and feel substantial newgrowth only 2 1/2 weeks later. I am definitely not complaining. Does anyone else experience this?

H

HoneyRockette

Quite the contrary as far as I know. I have heard of many women who LOSE their hair on the pill. It is even listed as a side effect in most pill packets. As a matter of fact, didn't Bargello lose all of her hair from some hormonal imbalance due to the pill?

beana3

i recently stopped using the pill because of hair loss and many other more severe factors. I was taking othro tri-cyclene and the only positive thing i got out of it was pedictable periods.
Ever since i've been off, i notice that my damaged spot is growing ion nicely, i'm loosing less hairs, and i just feel better about myself as a whole. I too ( a bit OT) experienced severe cramping and the pill only helped for about a couple months then the effect started to fade off
I said all that to say that I dont think BC pills really speed up growth at all, at least not in general. Maybe in your case it does or maybe your vits are kicking in. It's a possibility though since the pill fakes your body into thinking your pregnant and hair grows faster when pregnant. I dont know, but if you look at you package insert, it does warn about the possibility of hair loss.

Eyvonne7131

Hi pumpkin,

what brand of birth control are you on? I currently am taking ortho-tryclene for birth control obviously and for acne...however about 7 years ago I was taking Ortho- Nova (forgot the spelling) and I had really long hair. Not that the current pill is not giving me hair growth it is just interesting how when I was taking the other brand I had a head full of hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne0914

birth control has been the main culprit in my shedding problem. i had ONE depo-provera shot last february. by may, my hair was coming out by the handfuls when i washed. actually, whenever i touched it, i got at least one hair with the white bulb. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif so no more depo shots.

next came the ortho-tricyclen. eventually the shedding increased with that too, but definitely not as bas as the depo. finally i switched to Yasmin, which is a completely different kind of pill. so far it's been good. i've taken it for a few months now. this is when they start to turn on me, which is why i had that pic from the beginning of the month. i was taking pics every week when i washed... i know, i know... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

if my hair combs out right this weekend, i'll probably conclude that the Yasmin is okay for me, but to answer the original question, "NO, birth control pill hasn't helped my progress at all."

adrienne

happylocks

I was taking ortho-tricyclen I stop because I wasnt feeling very well, I never paid attention to my hair on birth control. I do know that it is the shortest it has been since 2003 when I joined. Its about the same lenght when I joined, I maked it up to 26 inches strecthed from joining this site.

**WonderWoman**

I can testify that Birth Control helps grow some people's hair. My sister's hair has flourished since she got on birth control and we confirmed it was the BC growing her hair because when she got off them, her growth slowed down and her hair started thinning, especially around the edges. I told her her hair's on crack :lachen:. She had to get back on BC and is too scared to ever get off. I wouldn't try BC to grow my hair for the world!

Not everyone's hair will grow from BC simply because people experience different effects from BC.

But I totally agree with you, OP. :yep:

belleama

i have been on depo for three years and have noticed no change.

I was on the depo for a little over 8 years. The thinning for me was so gradual that I didn't even notice that it was happening until I started my hair care journey. I really didn't even know the extent until just recently.

motherx2esq

This is what I think my problem is. I have been getting the depo shot for about 4 years. My hair sheds a lot. So I guess now come the decision to stop my shots or keep shedding. I only take the shot because I no longer have a cycle and I am so use to not having one.

anon123

Quite the contrary as far as I know. I have heard of many women who LOSE their hair on the pill. It is even listed as a side effect in most pill packets. As a matter of fact, didn't Bargello lose all of her hair from some hormonal imbalance due to the pill?

What?! Why don't I remember that from the packet?! I'm on the pill. But I've been on it forever. It might be time to get off anyway, I tried a little while ago, but it was kind of rough so I went back on. But recently I've been losing a lot of hair on my temples, esp. my right.

ladylibra

birth control has never had any affect on my hair, that i know of. and i've tried so many different kinds it's not even funny... birth control and my body don't exactly get along. :wallbash:

i'm loving NuvaRing though. it doesn't cause breakouts or aggravate my PMS/PMDD symptoms... plus i can skip periods with it. and i haven't got knocked up which is the main thing i guess... :lachen:

vestaluv1

Don't know about this, but my doctor told me that they put people on the pill if they are experiencing hair loss :perplexed.
I asked him about this because I had heard that the pill could CAUSE hair loss.
Oh boy...so many mixed messages :nono:.