Cathy Howse Products -- Are the Worth the Price?

MonaLisa

Aerie17 said:
I use the Creme Moisturizer and it does a decent job.

I mix the UBH Deep Conditioner with GPB and will not be without this mix. Together, they do the very best job of condtioning my hair and I usually use this weekly. I was so impressed with both that I buy the biggest sizes I can find.

Hmmmm...I did a mix of a sample of GPB that I had gotten from a lovely member of this board...with my mane n tail...and I loved it. I must think about alternating with this combo and see how my hair responds. Interesting, thx Aerie. :)

Dare~to~Dream

tryn2growmyhair said:
I am just afraid that I will like the conditioner if I buy it and become addicted to using it.

I must admit I'm kind of "addicted" to her conditioner too. It's my one and only deep conditioner. I use Kenra Moisturizing conditioner as a follow-up (this is my main moisturizing conditioner). I *tried* to be cheap and order a Cathy Howse kit from ebay for only $5 and the conditioner was old as ****. Luckily, nothing happened to my hair...I couldn't wait to get the "real fresh" supply from Cathy and she ships fast too. I guess what I'm saying is that you will either LOVE or HATE most or all of her products. I have read threads in which people "disliked" her products and threads where those "loved" her products...I LOVE her products...

tryn2growmyhair

Lanelle said:
When I started my hair care journey {almost a year ago}, I used all three of Cathy's products. Now, her conditioner is the only thing I use. My *natural* hair is soft, fine AND thin but I've never had the hard hair experience because I ALWAYS follow up with an extremely moisturizing conditioner. The conditioner has helped my hair progress. I also learned about Aphogee from her website and I normally do a treatment every six weeks. The Creme moisturizer was GREAT but like you the cost and the shipping is something I didn't want to deal with so I use other alternatives. I use BB Oil Moisturizer with Castor Oil and Aloe {a long shot from Cathy's but it works for me}. I make my own spray too...but it does contain a little glycerin, oil, and distilled water. I have not tried to find an alternative to the conditioner so I still purchase that. I feel like if I buy all of the ingredients to make the homemade version I might as well just buy it from her. Works great, once I have more money to spend I will use the creme moisturizer again.

What moisturizing conditioner do you follow up with?

tryn2growmyhair

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Tryingtogrowmyhair- I have a suggestion. You say that your scalp is dry and itchy alot right? My solution to you would be 100% tea tree oil (a few drops) and olive oil mixed in a bottle. Just apply to your scalp before washing your hair. Place a plastic bag over the hair and go about your regular routines in the house, ie, working out or cleaning up. After this, wash your hair. I guarentee your scalp will feel so much better. If you don't want to do this, I also recommend the following scalp moisturizer-

Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil hair treatment with mink oil. Ingredients- Castor, Mink, Almond, Vitamin E, Jojoba, Mineral, Jafflower oils, lanolin, cocoa butter, prophyl paraben, and fragrance.

Thanks a lot. I was actually using tea tree mixed with jojoba and a few drops of essential clary sage and rosemary. I have used tea tree alone and just with jojoba. I wasn't using it as a pretreatment, I was using it as a scalp dressing in between shampoos. It really helped a lot. What has helped me more is something I just tried yesterday: distilled water with a few drops of peppermint oil -- my scalp feels so nice. I will be using this with my other mixes from now on.

My prepoo treatment lately has been lustrasilk tea tree oil cholesterol mixed with olive oil and sometimes aloe or coconut milk. It has helped a lot. Believe me, as much as I complain about my scalp situation now, it used to be a lot worse.

Thanks again for the tip, Bublnbrnsuga. :grin:

tryn2growmyhair

Lanelle said:
I must admit I'm kind of "addicted" to her conditioner too. It's my one and only deep conditioner. I use Kenra Moisturizing conditioner as a follow-up (this is my main moisturizing conditioner). I *tried* to be cheap and order a Cathy Howse kit from ebay for only $5 and the conditioner was old as ****. Luckily, nothing happened to my hair...I couldn't wait to get the "real fresh" supply from Cathy and she ships fast too. I guess what I'm saying is that you will either LOVE or HATE most or all of her products. I have read threads in which people "disliked" her products and threads where those "loved" her products...I LOVE her products...

Thanks, I ordered the conditioner and moisturizer, so let's see what happens. I am sitting on the edge of my chair with excitment and expectation. If the conditioner is as good as my homemade Cathy Howse conditioner, I will be super happy. Also, the Dew has proplyene glycol, a form of glycerine which is more tolerable for me but still a form of glycerine no less, so I am happy that I did not buy it.

Dare~to~Dream

tryn2growmyhair said:
What moisturizing conditioner do you follow up with?

I use Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner. The Kenra conditioner is what I follow up with. I have used other moisturizing conditioners in the past...as long as the conditioner is moisturizing then I find that *most* work for follow-ups after her conditioner.

lavendarlover

I used to be a die hard fan of her condish. When I went natural, I was on again off again. I recently placed and order for the condish, and now that I have it I am like, What have I been thinking all this time. I really don't think that the typical rinse off condsih does ANYTHING for my hair. I am loving the way that her condish made my hair feel. I didn't follow with a moisturizing conditioner, but I did apply quite a bit of B&B moisturizer (castor oil) and got a great effect. I personally like B&B better than her creme moisturizer. I have alos tried her dew and was not all that impressed.

tryn2growmyhair

Thanks to all you gals who gave me so much advice. I got the conditioner and moisturizer in and am writing to give you an update. The conditioner has a nice consistency and doesn't run like I read that it might from some of the questions on her board. It was good and left my scalp tingly. I don't see how it could make anyone's hair hard who followed the directions. It says right on the container to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner or else the hair will be hard and it says that it makes the hair hard on purpose.

I have been using my own homemade conditioner with mane and tail and peppermint/olive/coconut oils. Even with all of these mixtures, it still comes out much cheaper than the same size of her conditioner -- her 32 oz conditioner is about 30. That is about the same price as some high end conditioners :eek:! I understand why it is kind of expensive because all of the ingredients seem to be much better than the cheap crap that is in most conditioners, even expensive ones. If I suddenly run into money I will buy this conditioner again, but otherwise I will save money and continue with the homemade one which makes my scalp feel as ALIVE (tingle is too subtle to describe the feeling) and clean as hers does. Also, hers has menthol and that might be a little too tingly and cross the boundary to slightly irritating, for my scalp. I will mix this with AO GBP as someone else said that they do on one of these posts, until I am finished with both of them and then return to my good old recipe.

On the other hand, the moisturizer is the ish. I posted somewhere else that it does what I expected S-Curl to do to my hair and S-Curl does not. S-Curl leaves my hair cruncy and greasy. My hair is soft and more moisturized with this. I will definately be buying this again. Thanks again for all of the advice. :grin:

tryn2growmyhair

Ok, its been about a month since I bought this stuff and I will definitely say that I will not be buying the conditioner again. I used it almost exclusively and my hair did not feel as conditioned as it normally does and definitely was not as strong as when I used Mane N Tail. I think that that I will finish it and the AO GPB that I have and will be sticking to my good old homemade Cathy Howse recipe with Mane N Tail. The peppermint in my own formula is more potent. The homemade Cathy Howse is the first conditioner that has left my scalp feeling clean and tingly. So I will keep using it.

The moisturizer is still the best moisturizer I've been able to find, so I will definitely be using it again.

lexi08

Dana03 said:
Heck Yeah... That creme moisturizer is awesome.. When I first tried I was singing its praises high and low.. Its so moisturizing my hands feel SUPA silky after using it :) A little goes a long way too... A comparable product is Dudleys PCA Moisture Retainer it gives almost identical results ;)

Does the Dudley's Moisture Retainer and the Cathy Howse moisturizer contain protein? Can the Dudley's product be used on dry hair?

moneychaser

I don't think they contain protein, but I am not sure. Yes, you can use it on dry or wet hair :)
nikki1971 said:
Does the Dudley's Moisture Retainer and the Cathy Howse moisturizer contain protein? Can the Dudley's product be used on dry hair?