Things that DIDN'T work for me *WOMP WOMP*

prettypithy

Everyone is always talking about what DID work for them. I will tell you two things that I did NOT get results with. Be sure to take it with a grain of salt--what DIDN'T work for me, could work for others. For context, I'm a fine stranded, densely packed, 4a/3c natural.

1) MEGATEK

Who knows, maybe it has mystical properties that my hair is simply impervious to. But I frankly saw no effect. It was like a light protein treatment but not nearly as good as my usual protein product, Joico KPAK Reconstructor. Basically, no effect positive or negative after about two months of use.

2) Castor Oil

I'm sure everyone's hair is different but despite the rave reviews from trusted sources, castor oil did NOTHING for me. It is a heavy thick oil that allegedly has amazing growth/moisture/strength properties. It mostly made my hair sticky. I felt no additional moisture or softness. I got better results from olive oil which is already in my kitchen, half the price and ready to go.

So these are my product fails. Anyone else try something that is allegedly amazing only to have *womp womp* results?

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Qhemet Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm.
I'd go on the stroll for some other Qhemet products but this one was useless for me...made my hair crunchy and dry.

ETA: SHEA BUTTER!! (Thank you guys for reminding me)
Biggest hair mistake ever...it sat on my hair, made it greasy and dry, and then on top of it all, it had the nerve to stink.

Also, steaming.
Waste. of. time. and. money. and. space. and. fresh. ******. water.
I really wanted it to work and convinced myself for a while that it did, but honestly, my hair was better off DCing under a heat cap or overnight than with steam. The day I sold my steamer felt like I had just gotten out of jail. :lol:

Last edited:

CurlsBazillion

Shescentit Banana Brulee. I saw so many great posts about it when I first started doing my research on products that I had to have it. I got it and not only was it not so moisturizing it caused major breakage.

Shadiyah

Well i will didos on the megatek i got protein overload from that and had major set back.
all things gels. Cant stand them and after using them for about a week my hair be just as dry as it want ta be. I am still on my edges having a come back.

Pompous Blue

Qhemet Biologics' Egyptian Wheatgrass Cleansing Tea - Made my hair dry and stiff. Used it several times and gave up. Used it up by washing my make-up brushes with it.

Komazahaircare.com's HoneyComb Hair Rejuvenator - Caused a bad allergic reaction. I don't know what I'm allergic to in this product.

Shadiyah

I just thought of another thing that made me have a setback and it was sulfur. That was last band wagon i jumped on. Lol

greenandchic

Sulfur - It made me shed and it did nothing for me.

Ecostyler Olive Oil & Crystal - Too heavy, too hard

Shea butter - I can only use it blended in rinse out conditions and on my skin.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Castor Oil- Too heavy on my hair. Made my hair feel dry and just all wrong, which I thought was strange lol.
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration- seemed like errbody loved them some HEHH. I reeeeeeally wanted my hair to like it y'all lol. I tried so hard. My hair was just like, meh.
Shea Butter- I used to use it all the time while I was transitioning with no problems. My hair seemed to really like it. After I BC'd, it was okay on my hair. Now my hair hates it! It seems like anything with shea in it my hair completely hates.

Pretty much anything that gets raved about, my hair hates. My hair tends to like things that don't get a lot of attention.

JJamiah

Megatek - Hair was coming out; breaking like a mug
Sulfur - Caused Mucho Build up and caking! nothing happened at all

No Band Wagons!

Prudent1

Miss Jessie's Quick Curls:look:
Shea Moisture Curl and style milk:look:
It has been around 3 years since I discovered this site. During that time I would say I have found more products that worked but were over priced when compared to purchasing the same ingredients separately. I have learned my hair likes simple things. I have a few commercial products in my stash but the vast majority of things I use are raw.

BklynHeart

That Dominican Barbacol 'snail' conditioner. Made my hair hard and dry.
Grease, used it as a sealant, my hair hated it.
Any type of oils, hair hates it.

krissyprissy

Indian Powders- Did nothing for my hair. ( They make a good face mask though).
Pure Coconut oil- Made my hair crunchy. (A mixed oil like Vatika is ok)
Shea Moisture Masque- Left my hair tangled after rinsing.
Hair one Tea Tree- Tried this as an alternative to WEN and regretted it after losing so much hair due to matting.

faithVA

Wow - I have so many :lol: I can't even remember them all.

• Cheapie conditioners (thanks NappyNelle).
  • Steaming - I have one but I can't tell the difference.
  • Washing/Cowashing in twist - utter fail the 10 times I have tried it
  • Sulfur - My face broke out into a big red mass of something
  • Denman Brush - um yeah
  • Aphogee 2 minute - I was able to make a wig out of the shed hair
  • Products with honey - oooh my hair was sooo sticky :lol:
  • AOHSR - the base is too thick for my hair. But it taught me something. Anything with a creamy base or shea butter base can be salvaged with a good quantity of of oil being added. So I add sunflower oil to reduce the thickness.
  • Baggying
  • Homemade Unpetroleum Jelly (with wax)
  • Anything with wax
Shea Moisture Smoothie was almost a bomb until I discovered that adding oils things out the shea butter.

Last edited:

Loves Harmony

Qhemet biologic

Ssi banana brulee

Scurl spray

Anything with shea butter

Ecostyler gel

Hehh

Shea moisture

Oyin products

Coconut oil

Hair one

Aphogee 2 minute and the green tea spray.

going to stop here

Sent from my DROID X2 using DROID X2

chelleypie810

anything hairveda- too much glycerin, made my hair sticky

megatek- didn't do anything

he ltr- made my hair gummy.. no moisturizing

aphogee keratin spray- protein overload

joico kpak- didn't make a real difference

aphogee 2 step- didn't stop the breakage

ntm mask and leave in- seemed like any other conditioner

Kay.Dee

Shea butter
Shea Moisture products (except shampoos)
Qhemet Heavy Cream (sat on top of my hair)
Castor oil (I hate dealing with it, it's okay in deep conditioner)
Applying anything directly to my scalp (build up and flaking, I don't think my scalp needs it)
Kinky Curly Knot Today (made my hair feel waxy)
All Afroveda butters

Raspberry

It really pisses me off that Mane & Tale Detangler sucks on my hair in all forms - wet, dry, natural, relaxed.. I wanted it to work soo bad, I dunno why lol.

CaliiSwagg

Herbal Essences Conditioners- They make my hair feel like straw.

Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie- Ugh.. hated it. Made my hair feel dry and hard.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Ecostyler gels - I tried two or three kinds and all left my hair hard and flaky

Shea Butter - cause an allergic reaction, broke out my face and neck

Coconut oil - super dryness

SimJam

Shea Moisture deep treatment mask - hate the argon oil smell and makes my hair dry and ends crunchy

Shea Moisture anti breakage mask ... was just meh

Pompous Blue

Hydratherma Naturals Protein Balance Leave In Conditioning Treatment. Left my hair sticky and gummy no matter how much or how little I used. I really wanted to like it 'cause the owner (member here) has such beautiful hair.

tapioca_pudding

Giovanni Direct Leave In - I still keep buying this ish, thinking my hair will change it's mind, but nah.

Coconut oil - Relaxed hair loved it, natural hair rebukes it.

Shea Moisture Milk - No mas.

Oyins Honey Hemp Condish - My hair KINDA likes this but it's iffy. No consistent results.

StarScream35

Coconut Oil~~makes my scalp itch like crrrrrazy!

Apple cider vinegar rinses~~made my hair feel like straw.

S Curl~~started off working but then quickly faded and didn't do a thing.

Finger combing/finger detangling~~Seemed to cause more tangles.

Rinsing in cool water~~made my hair feel hard.

Eisani

Finger combing- say what now??
Oyin Hair Dew- don't understand the hype
Actually, Oyin anything is a thumbs down
Shea Moisture Curling Souffle and gel- both leave my hair dry and coated
Curls products
Mozeke
Koils By Nature Shealoe leave In

I'll stop there.