How often should you trim your ends

JerseyGirl

The last time I got my ends trim was the beginning of September. I don't see any split ends. My hair is just a little uneven. Should I trim my hair? Please respond.

sweetcocoa

I feel that depends on the individual. Some like to do every 8 weeks others 12...I do mine when I feel it needs it(when I start seeing splits).

Tracy

I trim with every OTHER relaxer (every 6 months or so) ONLY if needed.

Girl, don't cut those ends if they ain't split! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne0914

ditto to what tracy and sweetcocoa said. i only trim when needed. usually it ends up being like every six months.

my theory on ends is this: they may seem rough or in bad condition. however, unless they're split, i don't trim them. i believe it's more important to CORRECT the condition. otherwise as soon as you trim, the new, healthy ends also eventually become rough and in bad condition. ya know? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

adrienne

henrilou

Hmmm. My stylist charges $15.00 for a trim. Not that I care because I would NEVER let her trim MY hair. I've seen her do others: she just GOES AT IT. she goes really fast and is not at all scared to cut off INCHES. She told one girl that 3 inches HAD to go because there was damage. Well I find it hard to believe that some one had 3 whole inches of split hairs. Rarely does a whole head of hair split like that. Maybe an 1/8th or so...Any way the girl was actually in tears. I felt so bad. After the girl left my stylist was like, "oh well".

CHOCOLATECHILD

Adrienne0914 I just read your post about trimming split ends and I WAS going to get my ends cut again tomorrow by my cousin (she's a stylist and scissor happy) to get rid of these FRIZZY ends. I've already had a trim done the 10th of this month but I'm not getting the "BLUNT" look that I'm going for. Anyway what can I do about these frizzy ends two of my coworkers told me that I didn't have split ends they had examined my ends. what can I do about the frizzy ends. I just recently started doing a protein treatment followed by an intense moisturizing treatment last weekend after following the advise of some of the ladies on this board. I'd really appreciate your advice. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Norma

Hi...I'm not Adriane...but I have the same experience...My ends are frizzy but not damaged..Have you transition from a no lye relaxer to lye..If so, that's may be the problem and unfortunately there's not a lot you can do..At least I haven't found the cure. I've slowly been cutting away the no-lye relaxer...I wear curly sets so you don't notice the frizz...Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

adrienne0914

chocolatechild, the only thing that i do is keep mine mega moisturized with curl activator and Vaseline. i know that sounds like a lot of gunk... well, it is. lol! i can only do this when i'm wearing my hair in a bun. i really don't like to put much of anything on my hair when i wear it down. so i don't wear it down much because i get alot of breakage when i do. how do you wear your hair on a daily basis? a blunt cut is really hard to maintain without a lot of cutting. maybe you should save that look until you get closer to your goal. are you getting close?

norma, i've always used a no-lye relaxer. it didn't cause that problem for me, but i do plan to switch just to be on the safe side. how often do you get a retouch?

adrienne

Valerie

I only trim, when I think it necessary, last time I had a trim was June and before that September 2001. I'll trim it on Monday. I don't really suffer from split ends, just my hair being uneven. <font color="blue"> </font color>

JerseyGirl

Thanks for all the replies. I did notice that my ends were a little frizzy but after a couple of good deep conditioners with Dudley's Hair Rebuilder, I only see one little section of my hair that is still frizzy. I guess I have to want a couple of more weeks. But I will not trim my hair for a couple of months to see what will happen. My hair right now is growing on a rate an inch within six to eight weeks. So I won't trim it to see how long it will get. Thanks

MizAvalon

I used to be brainwashed and trim my ends with every touch-up. Now, I only do it as needed which is usually every other touch-up, about every 6 months.

dannie

Sherrylove posted an interesting thread about dustings last week. I was thinking about dusting every few months, just for preventive maintenace.

jellynote

I trim only when needed. I do the baggie method so my ends are in good condition, but before that i had frizzy ends. I use Healthy Ends by Profectiv if I wear my hair down which isn't to often

buffalosoldier

Hi jerseygirl!

When I joined this board I started doing micro trims and I also tried to skip trims but it is not for me. My hair needs a good trim at least every 3 months.