Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
September 6, 2013

Devotional
“I will vindicate the holiness of My great name which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD,” declares the Lord GOD, “when I prove Myself holy among you in their sight. Ezekiel 36.23 (NASB)
God can and will use us even though we are not worthy vessels for him to use. Scripture gives us many examples of people God used who did not come up to his moral and holy requirements -- for example, think a little about Samson or most of the other Judges! God will be revealed as the holy, mighty, and awesome God that he is. So let's not be unwilling tools in his hands. Instead, let's offer ourselves to him for his service and his glory.
Prayer
Holy Father, make me pure and holy, not just by your grace, but also in my actions, words, and thoughts. Create a clean heart in me and renew a righteous spirit in me by the power of your Holy Spirit. May my life be a holy sacrifice of praise to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom
A man of too many friends comes to ruin, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 7, 2013

Devotional:

Therefore the LORD fnlongs to be gracious to you, And therefore He fnwaits on high to have compassion on you. For the LORD is a God of justice; How blessed are all those who fnlong for Him. Isaiah 30:18 (NASB)

God is slow to exercise his justice when that justice demands his people's punishment. "Gracious and slow to anger" is a phrase repeatedly used to describe God in the Old Testament. God longs to be gracious and bless his people. He extends time for us to repent and turn to him. In Jesus, God even gives us his own Son as the atoning sacrifice for our sins. Let's hear the heart of God, and respond by turning our lives and our hearts to the God who longs for us.

Prayer:
Almighty God and Abba Father, how can I ever thank you for your love and mercy demonstrated in the sacrifice of your Son for my sin. Please forgive me for those times that I have not intentionally and wholeheartedly shown my appreciation for your grace in the way I live my life. Please perfect me by your Spirit just as you have forgiven me and cleansed me by your grace. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
A good man will obtain favor from the LORD, But He will condemn a man fnwho devises evil. Proverbs 12:2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 9, 2013

Devotional:

“Your right hand, O LORD, is majestic in power, Your right hand, O LORD, shatters the enemy. Exodus 15:6 (NASB)

One of the great images of the Old Testament is that of God stretching out his right hand with power and doing mighty things for his people. So often, Israel faced a larger and more experienced foe. Yet when his people fully trusted in him, he gave them great victory.

Prayer:
Father, great in holiness and majesty, please uphold and strengthen me with your power and grace. Thank you for shattering the power of my greatest enemy. Please give me courage in you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Know that wisdom is thus for your soul; If you find it, then there will be a (fn)future, And your hope will not be cut off. Proverbs 24:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 10, 2013

Devotional:

The LORD will accomplish what concerns me; Your lovingkindness, O LORD, is everlasting; Do not forsake the works of Your hands. Psalm 138:8 (NASB)

First there is conviction: the LORD will finish his work in us! (c.f. Philippians 1:6). Second, there is declaration: the LORD's love endures and doesn't fail (cf. 1 Cor. 13:8). Finally, there is supplication: O Lord, don't ! forget me, your creation (cf. Ps. 139:13-16). What beautiful balance for our walk with the Lord.

Prayer:
Heavenly Father and LORD of all things, I am confident that you will accomplish your will and purpose in me. Seeing how you loved and worked through the centuries with the everyday people I find in Scripture, I know your love will last long after I am gone from this place. However, dear LORD, I do face some struggles and difficulties and I ask you to please intervene with your grace and power in my life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who (fn)is generous will be blessed, For he gives some of his food to the poor. Proverbs 22:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 11, 2013

Devotional:

The LORD bless you, and keep you; The LORD make His face shine on you, And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance on you, And give you peace.’ Numbers 6:24-26 (NASB)

How would you like to place the mighty name of the LORD on people you love? God promised that this priestly blessing enabled his name (his power and authority) to be placed on his people. What an incredible gift that we have the power to give to others with just our faithful words! Blessings are found all throughout Scripture. Why not begin looking today for ways to pronounce God's blessing on others? You can start with this one, and then add a bunch of others as you find them in Scripture.

Prayer:
O LORD of every good and perfect gift, your blessings are too many to count and too wonderful to fully comprehend. Please use me to share those blessings with others. Give me eyes to see and ears to hear so that I can share your blessings with others today! In the name of Jesus, your greatest blessing, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who walks with wise men will be wise, But the companion of fools will suffer harm. Proverbs 13:20 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 12, 2013

Devotional:

‘Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ “Behold, all those who are angered at you will be shamed and dishonored; Those who contend with you will be as nothing and will perish. Isaiah 41:10-11 (NASB)

Not only does God's blessing rest on us, his presence goes with us. We cannot ever be in a place where he is not with us (see Psalm 139). His presence and power will uphold us and strengthen us. No matter what may happen in our physical bodies or our physical worlds, God has given us the ultimate triumph over every enemy and all wickedness in Jesus. Even Jesus' doubters and enemies will worship our Lord and kneel at his feet and will recognize that our faith is not only appropriate, but it is victorious (cf. 1 Thess. 1).

Prayer:
Thank you, dear Father! You are not only the God of the heavens, but you are also my God. You know me and care about me. You hear my cries for help and mercy. You share my struggles and burdens. Please deliver me from every enemy, both physical and spiritual, and give me boldness to stand firm in my faith in you. In Jesus' name I ask this. Amen.

Wisdom:
I have directed you in the way of wisdom; I have led you in upright paths. Proverbs 4:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 13, 2013

Devotional:

“For I am the LORD your God, who upholds your right hand, Who says to you, ‘Do not fear, I will help you.’ Isaiah 41:13 (NASB)

Life crashes in and we wish we could be children again and have someone to take care of us and protect us. Into our confused and chaotic world, God's promise comes to us once again. Like a loving parent with a frightened child, God reaches out and takes hold of our hand and comforts us with his precious words: "Don't be afraid. I'm here with you. I will help." Even when he seems distant, the echo of this thought can remind us that we are never alone or forgotten (cf. Heb. 13:5-6).

Prayer:
Abba Father, whose presence and help are always near, please help me have faith that you are there. I confess that at certain points in my life, you have seemed distant and I have felt alone. Please remind me through your Spirit of your nearness and your care. In my moments of struggle and doubt, please make your presence known. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who walks in integrity walks securely, But he who perverts his ways will be found out. Proverbs 10:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 16, 2013

Devotional:

You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4 (NASB)

The world can often be a hostile place for believers. God wants his spiritual children to know, however, that they are not alone. He lives in us through his Spirit. We can be assured, therefore, that no matter what spirit someone else may have, the Holy Spirit of God is greater, more powerful, and more glorious. The victory is ours because God's presence in us is greater than any force that we will ever face. We have our victory assured over all forces, powers, spirits, or opponents.

Prayer:
Dear Father, please give me the confidence, boldness, and conviction of your promises. I want to live boldly for your glory and according to your will. Thank you for empowering me to this victorious living by your Spirit who lives within me. To you belong all glory, majesty, and praise. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 17, 2013

Devotional:

Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning; For I trust in You; Teach me the way in which I should walk; For to You I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8 (NASB)

In nearly every disciple's life, there comes a time of loneliness and doubt. It seems as if our prayer requests just bounce off the ceiling and fall in broken pieces at our feet. God seems distant, hiding, asleep, or unsympathetic to our cries for mercy and help. Thankfully God gives us the Psalms. In the Psalms we can find words for almost all of life's ups and downs. It is nice when we are down to know that others have been there before us and have recovered their faith and vitality. But, there are just some moments in life when we need to have God's reminders of his love and guidance. This psalm, and these words are made for such a time. If the request is not relevant to your need, then please, pray these words for someone else. If, on the other hand, they speak to you then please, pray them for yourself!

Prayer:
Dear Father, please make your presence undeniably known in my life and help me see your presence and mercy clearly. I want to honor you, dear God, but please make your guidance clear so that I can follow you boldly and faithfully in your will. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
By wisdom a house is built, And by understanding it is established; And by knowledge the rooms are filled With all precious and pleasant riches. Proverbs 24:3-4 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 18, 2013

Devotional:

Do not fret because of evildoers, Be not envious toward wrongdoers. For they will wither quickly like the grass And fade like the green herb. Psalm 37:1-2 (NASB)

Frustration and envy... hmmm, isn't that our reaction to those who are evil and yet seem to prosper? We're reminded to not let the apparent and short-lived successes of evil people derail our faith or dampen our spirits. Their victories are temporary, their wealth is like a flower that will wilt, and their life is like the grass which withers and is soon gone.

Prayer:
LORD God Almighty, praise your holy and matchless name. You have blessed me mightily. You have protected me in the face of my enemies. You have given me life, and hope, and future with you. Now please, dear Father, help me to avoid wasting my time worrying about what others have. Please give me a heart of thanksgiving for, and contentment with, all that you have done to bless me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Faithful are the wounds of a friend, But fndeceitful are the kisses of an enemy. Proverbs 27:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 19, 2013

Devotional:

Trust in the LORD and do good; Dwell in the land and (fn)cultivate faithfulness. Psalm 37:3 (NASB)

Having a place of permanence in the middle of life's uncertainties and having the assurance of God's provision are based on two very clear principles: trusting in the LORD and doing good to others. When we live by those two commitments, we learn to depend upon God in fresh new ways that bring us refreshment, hope, and new joy.

Prayer:
Loving God, my Abba Father, I trust you with my life. I offer it to you as a living sacrifice to bring you glory and honor. As I do this, dear Father, I know you are rushing to meet me with your loving grace and love beyond compare. Thank you! In Jesus' name I praise. Amen.

Wisdom:
If (fn)your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink; Proverbs 25:21 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 20, 2013

Devotional:

Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38 (NASB)

A promise for all those everywhere: those who turn their hearts to God and are baptized fully trusting in Jesus as their Lord and Savior will be filled with God's Spirit and will be forgiven of their sins because of the mighty name and gracious work of Jesus Christ. So like the early disciples, let's share this grace so that the world can know that Jesus is not only Lord, he is also Savior and King for all who hear God's call and trust in him.

Prayer:
Praise to you Almighty and gracious Father. You have given me hope when there was none. You have given me strength when my resolve was gone. You have blessed me with grace and poured your love into my heart through your Holy Spirit, your gift from above. For your love, grace, forgiveness, salvation, and Spirit I praise you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The righteousness of the blameless will smooth his way, But the wicked will fall by his own wickedness. Proverbs 11:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 21, 2013

Devotional:

Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life (fn)in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. Romans 8:1-2 (NASB)

The law of Spirit and life is a great liberator! We are set free from the law of sin and death. Death has no mastery over us because of Jesus' resurrection. Sin has no claim on us because Jesus paid off our debt to sin on the Cross. We stand before God as his righteous children, free at last because of the work of our mighty Lord Jesus Christ. There is no condemnation in our future, only glory!

Prayer:
Thank you, Almighty God, for your plan to pay my ransom and to liberate me from sin and death. Thank you for the confidence I have because of your incomparable grace given to me through Jesus, in whose name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
When a man’s ways are pleasing to the LORD, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. Proverbs 16:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 23, 2013

Devotional:

How blessed are those whose way is (fn)blameless, Who walk in the law of the LORD. Psalm 119:1 (NASB)

As Christians, we hear this passage a little differently than those who lived under the O.T. Law. We recognize that our blamelessness comes as a gift of Jesus' sacrificial death on the Cross. We know we are not justified by keeping the Law, but we are doing our absolute best to walk in the way of the Lord out of thanks for God's glorious grace. There is great blessing in doing the will of God. That blessing is not just in the future, but begins right now.

Prayer:
Father, thank you for blessing me so graciously. As I seek to live according to your will, I experience the blessings of your presence and grace in my life. Please bless me with wisdom to better know your will and the courage to live it. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A gracious woman attains honor, And ruthless men attain riches. Proverbs 11:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 24, 2013

Devotional:

“And we are witnesses (fn)of these things; and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him.” Acts 5:32 (NASB)

Of all the many gifts God gives, the gift of his presence in us through his Holy Spirit is among the most precious. The Spirit's presence makes us God's temple(1 Cor. 6:19). The Spirit intercedes for us according to the will of God when we pray(Rom. 8:26-27). The Spirit helps us overcome the pull of our flesh(Rom. 8:13-14). The Spirit gives us strength in our inner being(Eph. 3:16). In other words, the Spirit is at work to transform us to the character of Christ. Let's thank God for his! holy presence in us through the Holy Spirit.

Prayer:
Father, thank you so much for your Holy Spirit who even now is interceding for me as I pray. Please strengthen me through your Spirit as I seek to live a holy life dedicated to you. Dear Father, it is my heart's desire for you to transform me by your Spirit to be more like your Son in character and compassion. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
One who is gracious to a poor man lends to the LORD, And He will repay him for his (fn)good deed. Proverbs 19:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 25, 2013

Devotional:

Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. John 14:23 (NASB)

This chapter begins with Jesus promising that he is going back to heaven to prepare a place for us. Now, however, he wants us to know that we don't have to wait until heaven to be in the presence of God. As we love God and obey his Word, God comes and makes his home with us. Isn't it an amazing and gracious thought: God, the Creator of the Universe, the Holy One of Israel lives in me!

Prayer:
For your abiding presence within me, O God, I thank and praise you. May my life reflect the holiness and grace of your presence in all that I do, think, and say. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The merciful man does [fn]himself good, But the cruel man [fn]does himself harm. Proverbs 11:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 26, 2013

Devotional:

For what the Law could not do, [fn]weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of [fn]sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. Romans 8:3-4 (NASB)

When the Spirit lives in us, we don't need a law to guide us. The Spirit produces the character that God desires and that is well beyond what any law would require (cf. Gal. 5:22-23). While the Law can teach us God's will and reveal to us what is sinful, the Law can't fix our sinfulness nor empower us to live according to God's will. The Holy Spirit, on the other hand, can cleanse, transform, empower, and inspire us to be what God calls us to be in ways no law can. Let's thank God for his amazing and wonderful presence in us through his Spirit!

Prayer:
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew me by your Spirit dwelling within me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who oppresses the poor taunts his Maker, But he who is gracious to the needy honors Him. Proverbs 14:31 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 27, 2013

Devotional:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23 (NASB)

When the Spirit is alive in our hearts the character of God comes to life in our lives as the Spirit works to conform us ever more closely to the image and the character of Christ (2 Cor. 3:18).

Prayer:
Thank you, dear Father, for your Spirit within me. I consciously yield my will and heart to your Spirit's transforming control in my life. Please produce in me the fruit that pleases you and brings you glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Give instruction to a wise man and he will be still wiser, Teach a righteous man and he will increase his learning. Proverbs 9:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 28, 2013

Devotional:

Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4 (NASB)

As my heart delights in God, God's will, and God's purposes, I find an amazing truth at work: when I desire what God wills, God enjoys giving me the desires of my heart. An old hymn used the phrase, "'til I am wholly lost in Thee." When that happens, when our will is yielded to God and our heart delights to honor him, then God is longingly waiting for us to request the desires of our heart so he can bless us!

Prayer:
Holy LORD, God of our Fathers and great Giver of every perfect gift, thank you for longing to bless me and pour the riches of your grace upon me. Please touch my heart to desire your will and then to boldly ask you to accomplish it to your glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The [fn]naive believes everything, But the sensible man considers his steps. A wise man [fn]is cautious and turns away from evil, But a fool is arrogant and careless. Proverbs 14:15-16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 30, 2013

Devotional:

Now Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, “Oh that You would bless me indeed and enlarge my border, and that Your hand might be with me, and that You would keep me from harm that it may not pain me!” And God granted him what he requested. 1 Chronicles 4:10 (NASB)

When our hearts are tuned to God's will and long to honor him, it is our Father's delight to bless us in mighty ways. So let's first set our hearts to do his will. Then, let's not be afraid to ask God to pour out his blessings on others. Then, let's also share with him the desires of our heart. Finally, let's not be surprised at the ways he blesses us!

Prayer:
O God, please show yourself to be glorious in the ways that you bless me and those that I love. Help all people to know that these blessing do not come by our wisdom, skill, or strength but from your grace. In Jesus' name I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
A righteous man who walks in his integrity—How blessed are his sons after him. Proverbs 20:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 1, 2013

Devotional:

But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies [fn]through His Spirit who dwells in you. Romans 8:11 (NASB)

If we belong to Christ, we know the Spirit of God lives in us (Rom. 8:9; 1 Cor. 6:19-20). Because of the Spirit's presence, we know that we are eternal! The Spirit is God's down payment guaranteeing that our future is with him (2 Cor. 1:21-22; 2 Cor. 5:5). What's more, even while we're living for Christ now, the Spirit gives us life in our physical bodies as we use them for God's glory (cf. Rom. 12:1).

Prayer:
Father, animate my body with your Spirit so that what I do not only brings you glory, but it also reflects your character and grace. To you, O Father, be all the glory for your presence and power that is at work within me, your child. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The rod and reproof give wisdom, But a child [fn]who gets his own way brings shame to his mother. Proverbs 29:15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 2, 2013

Devotional:

The fear of man [fn]brings a snare, But he who trusts in the LORD will be exalted. Proverbs 29:25 (NASB)

Jesus told us not to fear other human opponents (Luke 12:4-5). When we try to please others, when we fear what others may say or do to us, we place ourselves in a position of great vulnerability. Our lives no longer remain our own. We become captive to what others think, want, or threaten. We are only to trust the LORD and reverence him. In God is our safety, both now, and forevermore.

Prayer:
Please keep me safe, O LORD, from those who oppose me and would do me harm. Make my life a holy praise to honor you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Grandchildren are the crown of old men, And the glory of sons is their fathers. Proverbs 17:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 3, 2013

Devotional:

‘Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10 (NASB)

God's story through the history of his people, Israel, is one of triumph, protection, and faithfulness. God is with us. God cares for us. God hears our prayers. God longs to bless and protect us. God longs to strengthen and uphold us. Let's put our hope in him.

Prayer:
O God, you are my God, and I long to bring you honor and glory. Please stir my courage to live victoriously and passionately for you. I trust that as I display your character and live for your glory that you will strengthen and uphold me by your mighty presence within me and by your mighty arm of grace around me. In you I have placed my hope. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A man’s discretion makes him slow to anger, And it is his glory to overlook a transgression. Proverbs 19:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 4, 2013

Devotional:

For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Galatians 3:26-27 (NASB)

We are children of God, with all the rights of full heirs! Our faith, expressed in our baptism, declares to the world that we are God's children. We have chosen to be clothed in Christ and his righteousness and not depend on earning our own salvation. He is our salvation and hope. He is our life and strength. He is our older brother and Savior. He is our Lord.

Prayer:
Thank you, dear Father, for adopting me into your family. How can I thank you for all you have done to make me your child and a rightful heir to your glorious riches of grace. Thank you, dear Jesus, for your sacrifice that brought me into your family. In your name, O Jesus, do I offer my prayer and my praise. Amen.

Wisdom:
In all labor there is profit, But [fn]mere talk leads only to poverty. Proverbs 14:23 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 5, 2013

Devotional:

For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. Romans 8:14 (NASB)

Over the last two weeks we have been blessed to read a number of Scriptures that speak of the Spirit's work in our lives. In the last several days, we've celebrated being God's children. Now the two concepts come together in one glorious declaration: we are God's "sons," his children with full inheritance rights. We have not only been given grace, but we live as his children and enjoy the blessings of his eternal family.

Prayer:
Dear Father in heaven, may your name be recognized as holy in my life as your child. May your will and your reign be known in my life just as the hosts of heaven honor it. Father, I am confident that you will give me today, the food that I need and I thank you. Please forgive me of my sin as I commit to be forgiving to those who sin against me. You are glorious, dear Father. Your Kingdom is eternal and is the goal of my heart. Your power is my source of strength. I love you, dear Father. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who loves purity of heart And [fn]whose speech is gracious, the king is his friend. Proverbs 22:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 7, 2013

Devotional:

Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, and He will do it. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light And your judgment as the noonday. Psalms 37:5-6 (NASB)

How much do you trust the Lord? Better yet, how much of yourself have you entrusted to the Lord? We have focused the last several days on the promised blessings the Lord longs to give us. Yet in his wisdom, God has chosen to make the release of many of these blessings dependent upon our trust in him and our asking of him. As long as we grip the steering wheel of our life, it is hard to let God take us in the direction of his blessing and his will. I saw a bumper sticker recently that put it this way: "If God is your co-pilot then you had better switch seats!" Committing our way to the Lord is offering our lives to him to do his work, to receive his blessing, and to know his presence. So what are you waiting for?

Prayer:
Holy, Righteous, and Almighty God, everything is yours except the hearts of men and women. You have chosen that these will be yours only if we choose to voluntarily and lovingly commit them to you. Dear Father, I want to commit my way -- my heart, my life, my future, my abilities, my wealth, my family... -- to you. I want to be used by you for your glory. I trust that you love me and long to give me your blessing along with your grace and salvation. I love you and thank you in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
“But he who listens to me shall [fn]live securely And will be at ease from the dread of evil.” Proverbs 1:33 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 8, 2013

Devotional:

The lips of the righteous feed many, But fools die for lack of [fn]understanding. Proverbs 10:21 (NASB)

Righteous people have a way of blessing others with their words. It may be their word of encouragement, their carefully chosen speech, their advice full of wisdom, their message of comfort, their truth in teaching, or their faithfulness to their promises. No matter what form, the words of righteous people are a blessing. But fools don't listen to the righteous. They plot their own course refusing truth, wisdom, and godliness only to find their lives lost to meaninglessness and folly.

Prayer:
Father God, Author of all truth and wisdom, please give me the ability to discern those around me who are truly righteous and the wisdom to listen to what they say. Please help me avoid the pitfalls of pride and arrogance as I humbly seek to hear your truth in those whose lives are conformed to your character. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A [fn]soothing tongue is a tree of life, But perversion in it [fn]crushes the spirit. Proverbs 15:4 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 9, 2013

Devotional:

“Who has performed and accomplished it, Calling forth the generations from the beginning? ‘I, the LORD, am the first, and with the last. I am He.’” Isaiah 41:4 (NASB)

God is the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End. This is great comfort for us. We don't have to choose another deity in the course of our lives. We don't have to worry about our Father leaving us as prey for other gods. We don't have to worry about his Word becoming obsolete or outdated. He will be with us always.

Prayer:
Eternal Father, God of mercy and grace, thank you for your faithfulness. You were faithful to your promises to Israel. You were faithful in your promises to send a Messiah. You are faithful to lead and guide me by your Spirit. You will faithfully bring me into your presence at the return of the Lord Jesus. Thank you for being my stable Rock and Refuge in times that are so unstable, transient, and fickle. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Like apples of gold in settings of silver Is a word spoken in [fn]right circumstances. Proverbs 25:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 10, 2013

Devotional:

For you have not received a spirit of slavery [fn]leading to fear again, but you have received [fn]a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” Romans 8:15 (NASB)

How revolutionary. Just as Jesus prayed to God addressing him as "Abba Father," we too can speak so frankly and openly with God. "Ab-ba" are some of the earliest syllables babies spoke. The word "Abba" was used by very young children to speak intimately, respectfully, and openly with their earthly fathers. The Holy Spirit gives us that same privilege as God's children. We can call the Creator of the universe, the Great God of Israel, the Father of all peoples, the Almighty of eternity, Abba! Incredible.

Prayer:
Abba Father, thank you for your presence within me through your Holy Spirit. Thank you for letting me address you with such familiarity and boldness, such respect and dependency. Thank you for being my Heavenly Father for eternity. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Without consultation, plans are frustrated, But with many counselors they [fn]succeed. Proverbs 15:22 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 11, 2013

Devotional:

He will bring forth your righteousness as the light And your judgment as the noonday. [fn]Rest in the LORD and wait [fn]patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes. Psalms 37:6-7 (NASB)

"Chill out!" we hear heaven say to us. Come into God's presence with dependent, yet confident, patience. But how can we? We know God will do what is right for us over the passage of time. The Bible is God's story (HIS-story); it is the great testimony that he is always faithful to his promises, gracious in his power to redeem, and generous with his love shared with his children. So come into his presence and be willing to be still... and patient... and trusting and hopeful!

Prayer:
Father, in the quietness of this moment, I consciously relax myself in your presence and place the concerns and cares of my heart before you. I trust, dear Father, that you will act redemptively in my life. I confidently place my soul, my future, and my hope in your hands. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Righteous lips are the delight of kings, And he who speaks right is loved. Proverbs 16:13 (NASB)