Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
May 28, 2013

Devotional:

The perverse in heart are an abomination to the LORD, But the blameless in their [fn]walk are His delight. Proverbs 11:20 (NASB)

Whew, I surely wouldn't want to be on God's "I detest" list! Such people are an abomination to him. But what is a perverse heart? It is a heart that allows what is evil, impure, warped, greedy, dishonest, and violent to hold sway over a person's attitudes, views, and opinions. Ultimately, Jesus reminds us, such a heart shows up in a person's outward actions. How is our heart changed? By coming to God in repentance, confessing our alliance with what is evil and ungodly, and asking God to cleanse us and make us new by his Holy Spirit.

Prayer:
Create in me a new heart O God and renew your Holy Spirit's presence in me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 29, 2013

Devotional:

Martha then said to Jesus, "Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died. John 11:21 (NASB)

If you have ever stood at the grave side of a loved one, this thought probably crossed your mind, too -- if you had only been here, Lord! Where is Jesus when we hurt? Why couldn't he be here to help us? There are a couple of crucial answers to remember. First, Jesus is with us in our moments of loss and grief. The Church is Jesus' Body and every act of kindness, support, comfort, and help is Jesus working to alleviate our grief. Second, while he may not have kept our loved one from passing from this life to the next, he has been the abiding and unbroken presence for each Christian who has died physically. Paul reminds us that when a Christian dies, he or she goes to be with Christ (2 Cor. 5:6-7; Phil. 1:21-23) and God's loving presence is never lost to him or her (Rom. 8:35-39)!

Prayer:
Holy Father, please help me see Jesus' ministering presence in my times of loss and grief. Help me see him in the comforting presence of the Holy Spirit who abides in me. Help me see him in the acts of love and kindness your people do to help me. In addition, dear Father, please help me see ways that I can serve as Jesus' presence to someone else who is experiencing grief. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 2 Corinthians 5:21 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 30, 2013

Devotion:

As a ring of gold in a swine's snout So is a beautiful woman who lacks [fn]discretion. Proverbs 11:22 (NASB)

To take what is physically beautiful and then profane it with sin is to waste a great gift to bless someone who doesn't even have a clue why God gave it to her or him. No matter what gifts we have been given, whether physical beauty, athletic talent, keen intellect, a charming personality, or anything else, we must remember that God blessed us with these things so we could bless others and honor him!

Prayer:
Dear God, please forgive me for the times that I have not used my gifts and abilities to bless others and honor you. Please give me a renewed sense of purpose as I seek to live for your glory and to bless others with your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wealth obtained by [fn]fraud dwindles, But the one who gathers [fn]by labor increases it. Proverbs 13:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
May 31, 2013

Devotional:

For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 1 Corinthians 11:23-24 (NASB)

Remember Jesus! Remember his great sacrifice. Remember his incomparable love for you! Remember him through his Supper! Remember Jesus!

Prayer:

O Father, thank you so much for Jesus! Thank you for blessing me with a spiritual meal which reminds me and proclaims again that Jesus died, offering his body and blood as the atoning sacrifice for my sins. Thank you for giving me the day of his resurrection as the day I can powerfully remember this great sacrifice and anticipate the great day of reunion that his resurrection has secured for your children. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 3, 2013

Devotional:

"The Spirit told me to go with them [fn]without misgivings. These six brethren also went with me and we entered the man's house. Acts 11:12 (NASB)

Barnabas was a good man! Why? For many reasons. But, the key reason was that he was full of faith and the Holy Spirit. This shouldn't surprise us. When the Holy Spirit lives in us, he is at work producing the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) and conforming us to the character of Christ (2 Corinthians 3:18). No wonder Barnabas' influence was so great on the lives of those who lived in Antioch; his life was under the influence of God's Spirit!

Prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father, I want my life to be influential for the good of the Gospel and the growth of your Kingdom. I offer myself to you as a living sacrifice, asking that you conform me to the nature of your Son Jesus and bring forth in me the fruit of your Spirit. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen

Wisdom:

For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his [fn]natural face in a mirror; for once he has looked at himself and gone away,[fn]he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but [fn]an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in [fn]what he does. James 1:23-25 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 4, 2013

Devotional:

"Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions. Mark 11:25 (NASB)

To me, this is one of the most challenging reminders of God's will in Scripture. I must forgive others! When I refuse, it cuts me off the stream of forgiveness that God so longs to give to me. While forgiving others is never easy, God has not only commanded us to do it, he has also given us his Son as an example of forgiveness. In addition, he has promised to empower us to be able to do his will by the power of the Holy Spirit. The real issue: Will we let go of our bitterness toward those who have wounded us?

Prayer:

Dear God, I want to forgive ____ of the sin committed against me. Please block cynicism and bitterness from my heart. Please empower me to forgive as Jesus did. In addition, dear Father, please teach me what my commitment to forgive actually means in terms of the life changes I need to make. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Blessed is the man whom You chasten, O [fn]LORD, And whom You teach out of Your law; Psalm 94:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 5, 2013

Devotional:

"and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?" John 11:26 (NASB)

Several days ago, we emphasized that Christians who died physically were never really separated from their relationship with God's loving presence. Today, Jesus challenges us to believe a very similar thing. Do you believe that the real, living part of you made by God will never die even though your physical body dies? It's an incredible thought, isn't it? We are eternal, immortal, joined with Jesus and his future is joined with us. (see Colossians 3:1-4)

Prayer:

Almighty God, I do believe that because of Jesus, I will never die. Please bless me, dear Father, so that I can make every minute count while I am here in this life. At the same time, dear God, I do look forward to seeing you face to face. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

"Or how [fn]can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. Matthew 7:4-5 (NASB)

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
June 6, 2013

Devotional:

"All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. "Come to Me, all [fn]who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:27-28 (NASB)

True rest comes from knowing God. King David reminds us of this in Psalm 23. Jesus makes it clear again. Only Jesus can fully reveal God to us. Only Jesus can take away the burden of seeking to please God without an understanding of grace. Only he can remove the burden of our past sins and enable us to stand holy, blameless, and free from accusation before God Almighty. (cf. Colossians 1:21-22)

Prayer:

Father in heaven, thank you for sending Jesus to fulfill the Law and to bless me with your grace. May I never take that grace for granted. Dear Father, empower me to serve you with joy and gladness that come from the burdens of my sinfulness and failure lifted by your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:8-9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 7, 2013

Devotional:

But He said, "On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it." Luke 11:28 (NASB)

God gave us his word to bless us. When we obey what he asks of us, we get to walk in that blessing. On the other hand, as Jesus reminded us at the end of the Sermon on the Mount, when we know the will of God and don't obey it, we are foolish. I don't know about you, but I prefer to receive a blessing! Thank God for speaking to us through his word -- the Scriptures -- so we can know his will and walk in his blessing and for speaking to us through his living Word -- his Son -- so we can know his heart as we apply it to our lives.

Prayer:

Thank you, Father, for revealing your will to me through the Scriptures. Thank you for wanting to bless me and protect me from evil. Please forgive me for the times in the past that I have ignored your will or neglected being obedient to it. Today, I commit to live intentionally in your will and to live obediently to your word. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will [fn]prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you [fn]appear as [fn]lights in the world, holding [fn]fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain. Phillippians 2:14-16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 8, 2013

Devotional:

For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly. 1 Corinthians 11:29 (NASB)

The Lord's Supper is a precious time for Christians. We remember the incredible sacrifice Jesus made to save us from our sins. We also realize that when Christians gather together and take the Supper, we are the Body of Christ, his physical presence on this earth (cf. 1 Corinthians 10:17). Whatever happens to one of us matters to the rest of the Body. Every time we take the Supper, let's remember the other members of Christ's Body around us. Let's also give thanks for Jesus, who offered his body and blood at Calvary to save us. At the same time, let's commit to be the presence of Christ in the world and do his work.

Prayer:

Father, thank you for the first incarnation of Jesus when he became flesh and lived on earth. Thank you for his second incarnation through his Body, the Church. Please help me to value other members of his Body more. Please bless me with wisdom and courage as we (our congregation) seek to truly minister as his presence in our world. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Let no [fn]unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification[fn]according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 10, 2013

Devotional:

If I have to boast, I will boast of what pertains to my weakness. 2 Corinthians 11:30 (NASB)

One of Paul's recurring themes throughout 2 Corinthians is that God's strength is made perfect in weakness. In 1 Corinthians, he emphasizes that the strength, wisdom, and power of God are shown in what is normally a sign of weakness and humiliation -- the Cross (cf. 1 Corinthians 1:18-2:5). Paul wasn't a wimp -- remember all that he endured and kept on serving the Lord (2 Corinthians 11:24-27). He just knew that even with all his training and talent, he wasn't skilled, smart, or strong enough to do all that needed to be done for the Kingdom of God. But he knew that when we recognize our insufficiency, God takes our weakness and uses it powerfully when we offer ourselves to him!

Prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for all those times that you have strengthened me when I was under trial, given me wisdom when in a difficult situation, or empowered me when I faced situations and opportunities greater than my ability to handle. I recognize that you saved me by your grace; but each day that I serve you, I am again reminded that your grace continues to propel me through my service to you. Thank you, in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

Like clouds and wind without rain Is a man who boasts [fn]of his gifts falsely. Proverbs 25:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 11, 2013

Devotional:

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, [fn]acceptable to God, which is your[fn]spiritual service of worship. Romans 12:1 (NASB)

Our worship isn't confined to Sunday! Each day that we offer ourselves to Jesus as his servants, we also are offering him our worship. Every time that we consciously resist evil and choose good, we are offering pleasing and acceptable worship to God. Isn't it exciting that worship doesn't happen just in a church building! Isn't it incredible that each day our decisions and actions are a crucial part of our worship to God!

Prayer:

Holy LORD, God Almighty, please accept the offering of my thoughts, my words, and my actions today, and each day that follows, as my loving worship to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

[fn]Praise [fn]the LORD! How blessed is the man who[fn]fears the LORD, Who greatly delights in His commandments. Psalm 112:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 12, 2013

Devotional:

And do not be conformed to this [fn]world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may [fn]prove what the will of God is, that which is good and [fn]acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2 (NASB)

Sooner or later we all have to make a decision: Will I be a nonconformist? Will I refuse to be squeezed into the mold of the world? (J.B. Phillips terminology) Will I be part of a Christian counter-culture? (John R.W. Stott terminology) Will I be God's own person, an alien and an exile in the world, put here to have a redemptive influence? (The apostle Peter's terminology) Jesus simply calls us his disciples. Bottom line: until we are really ready to cross the line and live totally for the Lord, we're not going to be able to fully recognize God's will for us. There are no arm-chair quarterback Christians. There are no sideline disciples. There are no back-seat driver Christians. We either chose the Lordship of Jesus, or else we reject it. So what's your decision?

Prayer:

Holy God, I believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior. I believe that he came to earth as a human, lived an exemplary life of grace and power, and died for my sins so I could live for you, and with you, forever. Please forgive me, O God, for the times that I have hedged on my commitment to you and flirted with the darkness. I want to live for you with passion, joy, and fulfillment. I want to be transformed to be like Christ. In his name, Jesus the Lord, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and [fn]patience; Colossians 3:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 13, 2013

Devotional:

Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking[fn]by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus is [fn]accursed"; and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except [fn]by the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 12:3 (NASB)

Say it today as often as you can without being offensive to others: “Jesus is Lord.” But more than just saying it, truly mean it. Look up the word “Lord” in a concordance and read all the references to it in the New Testament. Open up your heart and ask Jesus to be Lord of your life. Jesus is Lord! He will be so whether you or I recognize it or not. But one day, every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord. (Phil. 2:10-11) Let's just get on board while it matters most to us and to those we love!

Prayer:

LORD God Almighty, thank you for raising Jesus from the dead and seating him at your right hand in power and making him both Lord and Christ. I want your Son, Jesus, to be my Lord today, and until that Day he comes to take me home. I make this confession in the name of Jesus Christ, my Savior and my Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:

Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral [fn]excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. 2 Peter 1:5-7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 14, 2013

Devotional:

For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Romans 12:4-5 (NASB)

An arm detached from the body is just a dead and useless body part. We belong to each other because we belong to Christ. We find our freedom to be what God has made us to be, and the Body finds its power and usefulness as we each offer ourselves to be used for the good of the Body and the work of the Lord.

Prayer:

Dear Father, thank you for making me a part of something that is living, dynamic, powerful, and eternal. Thank you for giving me special abilities and gifts to use in the Body of Christ. Please help me find and use my gifts and abilities for the good of your people and to glorify you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against the soul. 1 Peter 2:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 15, 2013

Devotional:

See to it that you do not refuse Him who is speaking. For if those did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, [fn]much less will we escape who turn away from Him who warns from heaven. Hebrews 12:25 (NASB)

When I was young, I always acted as if I hated discipline. It was part of the game. Now that I am older, I am so thankful that my parents loved me enough to discipline me strongly, to guide me lovingly, and encourage me repeatedly. This "discipline and training of God" has given me so many blessings. Now if I can just learn to recognize and appreciate the Lord's discipline in my life the same way! The lack of love is not hate, but indifference. The opposite of concern is an unwillingness to discipline. Thank God that he loves us and knows us enough to be involved in our lives and discipline us in the direction of heaven.

Prayer:

Father in heaven, please help me to recognize your discipline and correction in my life. I want to live for you with an undivided heart, pleasing you in word, thought, and deed. I confess, however, that sometimes my heart is rebellious or my resolve is weak. I thank you for helping me recognize my loss of spiritual direction through your loving discipline. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 17, 2013

Devotional:

"But I say to you that something greater than the temple is here. Matthew 12:6 (NASB)

What is the greatest construction project built by human hands? Jesus is greater still! What is the most "holy" place you have been? Jesus is far holier still! What is the most awe-inspiring site you have visited? Jesus is far more awesome and holy! What is the most inspiring event you have ever attended? Jesus is far more... Jesus is the One Who Is Greater! Nothing else, no one else, can hold a candle to him. As John the Baptist reminded us, the greatest religious leaders of all time are not even worthy to unlatch his sandals.

Prayer:

Thank you, God for revealing to me the Way, the Truth, and the Life through Jesus. Forgive me for the times I may have misused his name or underestimated his glory. Restore in me the child-like sense of joyous wonder that I need to have in his presence. In the holy and awesome name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Blessings are on the head of the righteous, But the mouth of the wicked conceals violence. Proverbs 10:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 18, 2013

Devotional:

The wicked are overthrown and are no more, But the house of the righteous will stand. Proverbs 12:7 (NASB)

This is eventually true in every culture. An evil leader is murdered by his even more evil successor. Ruin comes to the one who brings ruination on others. But ultimately, this result will be fully true only when Jesus comes and judges all people justly and with nothing hidden. Then, God's righteous will shine like the sun and reign with him in heavenly glory which will not spoil, perish, or fade. Justice with mercy, love with strength, and life without death will find their way in the city God has prepared for those who love him.

Prayer:

Dear Father in heaven, may your Kingdom come with power in our world and may your will be done here on earth just as it is done in heaven. Overthrow the wicked, and let those you have made righteous in Jesus stand in the presence of your glory and grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Therefore [fn]be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, [fn]making the most of your time, because the days are evil Ephesians 5:15-16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 19, 2013

Devotional:

"And I say to you, everyone who confesses Me before men, the Son of Man will confess him also before the angels of God; Luke 12:8 (NASB)

What a simple way to inherit a blessing. Let's make sure that we don't fall into the trap of Peter during the night of Jesus' arrest -- strong when in the presence of friends and weak in the presence of those who are hostile. Let's be ready to share our faith with friends with "gentleness and respect" (1 Peter 3:15). Let's be willing to be openly identified as one of Jesus' disciples and show it by our words and deeds. Let's confess that Jesus is our Lord by our lives and our lips for all the world to see.

Prayer:

Dear God, give me courage and wisdom to appropriately acknowledge Jesus as Lord before my friends, co-workers, and colleagues in a way that honors Christ and that is respectful of them. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. "For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it. Matthew 7:13-14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 20, 2013

Devotional:

Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good. Romans 12:9 (NASB)

Our love cannot be feigned, faked, or fickle! That means that we abhor things that are evil. We not only stay away from them, but we disdain them. At the same time, we commit ourselves to lovingly drawing closer to goodness and righteousness. In our intentions, there are no shades of gray, only a passionate desire for what is right, good, and holy.

Prayer:

Holy and Righteous Father, I know that you have declared me righteous and holy because of Jesus' sacrifice. Now I ask that you help me live up to what you have declared me to be. Through your Holy Spirit's indwelling, please fill me with your love and drive out anything unclean, evil, or rancid that dwells in my heart. Thank you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

Do nothing [fn]from [fn]selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; Philippians 2:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 21, 2013

Devotional:

Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; [fn]give preference to one another in honor; Romans 12:10 (NASB)

"He who toots his own horn plays in a very small band!" A very selfish part of us wants all attention and appreciation to be focused on what we have done, sacrificed, and accomplished. One of the signs of spiritual maturity that Paul lists here, however, is a devotion to others who are our fellow Christians. This means that we genuinely rejoice when others are honored. In fact, we are even more interested in honoring others than in receiving honor ourselves.

Prayer:

Dear God, my loving Father, thank you for surrounding me with so many godly and honorable people. Please help me see ways each day that I can show them my love, admiration, and appreciation. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. [fn]Let them do this with joy and not [fn]with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you. Hebrews 13:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 22, 2013

Devotional:

not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; Romans 12:11 (NASB)

Jesus made it clear that God wants us to be passionate about our Christian life. "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth." (Rev. 3:15-16) Let's live passionately for the Lord!

Prayer:

Holy LORD and King of the Ages, I confess that I have not been on fire for you as often as I would have liked. Please kindle in me a renewed zeal and passion for you and your work in the world. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the LORD; We have blessed you from the house of the LORD. Psalm 118:26 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 24, 2013

Devotional:

rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, Romans 12:12 (NASB)

How can we keep our circumstances from determining our mood? How can we emancipate ourselves from the limitations that life deals us? The last in the trio of commandments opens the door for the other two to be true -- we can rejoice in hope and we can be patient in affliction because we have been faithful in prayer. No matter what our situation is, we can pray with joy because of our hope in Christ no matter what our current situation is. We can remain patient, persevering through affliction, by presenting our requests and intercessions to God with thanksgiving. Prayer is God's gift to us so that we can be patient and joyful, even when things don't appear to be going well.

Prayer:

Father, I thank you, because no matter what struggles I face, you assure me of ultimate victory. I thank you, dear God, because no matter the hardship or burden, I know you will help me through it and bring me to your presence with great joy. Until that day of ultimate victorious joy, please ransom my heart from discouragement by the power of your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. Matthew 5:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 25, 2013

Devotional:

For [fn]by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit. 1 Corinthians 12:13 (NASB)

What makes us family? In God's family, the Holy Spirit makes us one. The Spirit is not only God's presence and power in us, but the Spirit is also God's spiritual DNA that connects us to each other and to our Father. This spiritual bond transcends human family, race, nationality, gender, and any other human barrier. The Spirit's presence ensures that we are God's children and function as Jesus' Body here on earth.

Prayer:

Thank you, dear Father, for the gift of the Holy Spirit. Thank you for making my body a place that is a holy dwelling place for your presence in the Holy Spirit. Thank you, Lord Jesus, for pouring out the Spirit and making me new. Now I ask dear Father, that the blessed Holy Spirit continue to work in my heart to tear down any wall of prejudice that may exist toward any of my brothers and sisters in Christ, and it is in his name that I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

When a wicked man dies, his expectation will perish, And the hope of strong men perishes. Proverbs 11:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 26, 2013

Devotional:

For the body is not one member, but many. 1 Corinthians 12:14 (NASB)

The human body is an amazing collection of parts, members, vital organs, systems, and interdependent structures. When the body is healthy and these different elements of the body work in concert with one another, the human body can do amazing things. The same is true with the Body of Christ! As long as we do our part and offer it for the good of the whole, Christ can do amazing things through us!

Prayer:

Holy and loving Father, please help me know my place in the Body of Christ so that I can serve faithfully and productively and bring glory to the Lord and his Body. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. Colossians 3:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 27, 2013

Devotional:

Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Romans 12:15 (NASB)

While misery may love company, grief tends to make us withdraw and hide. Let's remember those who have lost loved ones, especially this time of year. Let them know how you valued their loved one and miss him or her, too. Please keep these folks in your prayers and in your social plans, as well. In addition, make this a season of true joy -- affirm others by rejoicing in their blessings.

Prayer:

Holy God and comforting Father, please give me eyes to see and a heart to offer loving care to those around me who are grieving. During this special time of year, please use me to be a blessing to those in sorrow. In addition, dear God, help me to also encourage and support the joy of those who are rejoicing around me. In the name of Jesus Christ I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective [fn]prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. James 5:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 28, 2013

Devotional:

Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but [fn]associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. Romans 12:16 (NASB)

"Don't be conceited!" That's a command for someone else, right? I don't think I've ever met someone who felt he or she was conceited. But, when we're looking for someone with whom we want to associate, we seldom look for someone ignored by the crowd, forgotten by the pretty people, and easily overlooked by others. We want to "hang around with" those who are important, who are superstars, or at least who carry some clout. We believe we deserve to be noticed and valued, too. Oops, guess that's where the commands in this verse come from!

Prayer:

Father, thank you for making me in your image, designed personally by you to do something to bring you glory. At the same time, Father, I don't want to be a snob, thinking too much of myself and my importance. Please help me see those with whom you want me to associate. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all. Psalm 34:19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
June 29, 2013

Devotional:

Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. [fn]Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Romans 12:17-18 (NASB)

REDEMPTIVELY -- That's how Jesus lived! He sought to make a difference in the lives of others. His goal wasn't getting even, getting what was rightfully his, or even winning the arguments. His focus was to interact with people redemptively and to leave them more blessed than where he found them.

Prayer:

Forgive me, O God, for the grudges I've harbored and the evil things I've thought about others. Help me to see and to value them as Jesus does. In his name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:

Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. Galatians 6:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 1, 2013

Devotional:

But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired. If they were all one member, where would the body be? But now there are many members, but one body. 1 Corinthians 12:18-20 (NASB)

The Apostle Paul reminds us that God assigns our roles in the Body of Christ. Several principles interact with God's choice. First, be faithful in what God has given you to do -- until we are faithful in/with little things, he will not entrust us with big ones (Luke 16:10-13). Second, if we don't use what he has given us, it will be taken away (Matt 25:14-30). Third, we reap what we sow -- sinful or irresponsible behavior can create consequences that limit the effectiveness of our service(Gal 6:7-8). Bottom line -- let's be faithful with what God has given us, let's serve him when given new opportunities, and let's honor him with our choices so that Satan cannot use our failure to interfere with our service!

Prayer:
Dear Father and LORD of heaven and earth, please help me see my opportunities to serve in your Kingdom. Please grow my effectiveness in your service so that I can bring you glory and be a blessing to the Body of Christ. In Jesus' name. Amen.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Wisdom:
He who is steadfast in righteousness will attain to life, And he who pursues evil will bring about his own death. Proverbs 11:19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 2, 2013

Devotional:

Truthful lips will be established forever, But a lying tongue is only for a moment. Proverbs 12:19 (NASB)

"Tell the truth the first time, then you won't have to remember what you said." This truism by the famous Speaker of the House, Sam Rayburn, is good medicine for us today. Telling a lie seems gratifying at the time, but it nearly always catches up with us and gives us the added burden of trying to remember what we said and why. Truth endures; a lie is a momentary illusion that ends up a trap filled with burdens.

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous Father, please forgive me for lying, exaggerating, and withholding the truth when it is needed. I want my heart and my lips to be invested in forever. In the name of Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved [fn]you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God [fn]as a fragrant aroma. Ephesians 5:1-2 (NASB)