Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
July 17, 2012

Devotional:
And the loftiness of man shall be bowed down, and the haughtiness of men shall be made low: and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day. And the idols he shall utterly abolish. Isaiah 2:17-18 (KJV)

Sometimes when we get "too big for our britches," we find ourselves humbled by a natural disaster, world war, incurable disease, economic depression, or widespread social disorder. Our arrogance can be a predictor of our own impending disasters. Is there a general principle of our universe at work here? ("Pride goes before a fall.") Or is this the active discipline of God at work? I guess the answer is "Yes!" to both of these questions. Both God and his world remind us that there is so much about our lives we can't control. This passage, however, goes beyond the general principles and it promises an ultimate day when human arrogance will be eliminated and all false gods disappear. On that day, God's children will rejoice and be glad! Until then, let's walk humbly with our God.

PRAYER:
Dear Father in heaven, please humble me gently. I don't want to lose my keen sense of your presence by becoming too full of myself. Neither do I want to bring disaster upon myself or those I love. Give me an undivided heart of devotion to you out of appreciation for your grace. In the name of the Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A good [man] leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner [is] laid up for the just. Proverbs 13:22 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 18, 2012

Devotional:
And the LORD God said, [It is] not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. Genesis 2:18 (KJV)

Two powerful principles are presented here. First, God looks out for us and blesses us with what we need most. Second, God made us for relationship: relationship with him and with a life partner. Yes, Matthew 19 and 1 Corinthians 7 both emphasize that some are gifted to be single, but most of us are made to be complete with another. Marriage and a marriage partner are a gift from God. Let's live like they are!

PRAYER:
Holy God, I want to thank you for looking out for my needs. So many times I ask you for what I want, not what I need. Thank you for doing what is best for me and not what I want! Now, dear Father, please help me treat the significant people in my life as gifts from you. In the name of Jesus, your ultimate gift, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth [very] friends. Proverbs 17:9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 19, 2012

Devotional:
And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies. I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness: and thou shalt know the LORD. Hosea 2:19-20 (KJV)

God longed for Israel to be faithful to him. Despite the unfaithfulness in the past, God offered his people forgiveness and hope that they could be restored to relationship with him again. If God was willing to pay such an incredibly high price to do this, shouldn't we do the same with each other? But, let's go one step further; let's be faithful to each other and to God in the first place!

PRAYER:
Dear Heavenly Father, God of compassion, please give me a more forgiving and sensitive heart. In addition, dear Father, please give me a faithful heart that will not stray from the pledges and vows I have made to you and to others. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A man [that hath] friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend [that] sticketh closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 20, 2012

Devotional:
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20 (KJV)

We are dead, but more alive than ever before. We are crucified and humiliated, yet glorified as never before. You see, Christ lives in us. He works through us to bless others. So the life we live now in our limited bodies is not limited -- it is the work of Christ. The life we live now is lived by faith in the one and only Savior, who has shown his love by giving himself to redeem us.

PRAYER:
Almighty and Holy God, thank you for sharing your life and power with me and through me. Thank you for joining my life to Christ. Thank you for joining Christ to my life! May his love, grace, and power be seen in my actions and character. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Proverbs 15:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 21, 2012

Devotional:
Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice: for the LORD will do great things. Joel 2:21 (KJV)

This reassurance from God is given to a people facing desperate times, which were brought on by God to lead them to repent. Their land lies desolate and decimated from drought, plagues, and poor harvests. God, however, is now promising to bless them if they will return to him with all their hearts. The LORD, the covenant God of Israel, will do great things to bring his people to deliverance through their repentance and his gracious power. The land can rejoice and be glad. So should his people! So should we! Because of Jesus, we know that "the LORD has done great things" for us!

PRAYER:
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for your incredible work in our world. Thank you for your incredible work in my little part of that world. Thank you for your deliverance in Jesus. Thank you for the victory over death. Thank you for the incredible outpouring of your grace and mercy. Thank you for the gift of your Holy Spirit. Thank you for the Scriptures which your Spirit inspired and uses to teach us. Thank you for a family of friends in your Church. Thank you ... in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
A good [man] obtaineth favour of the LORD: but a man of wicked devices will he condemn. Proverbs 12:2 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 23, 2012

Devotional:
Cease ye from man, whose breath [is] in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of? Isaiah 2:22 (KJV)

God will humble the arrogant. He has a day designated to do this. But, until that day dawns, God's Kingdom people must live knowing that even the apparently powerful but ungodly will be brought to ruin. We shouldn't trust in human power; it can evaporate like dew in the morning sunshine. Human power is limited by death. When the breath of a tyrant is gone, so is his power. Once the life of an evil person is over, all that is left is the evil. Our trust must be in Yahweh Sabbaoth, the Lord God of heaven's armies. Anything else is a dim, small, and distorted reflection of the real thing.

PRAYER:
Abba Father, forgive me for those times that I have relied on my own savvy, my own wits, and my own insight to life. Forgive me for not trusting in your deliverance and for relying on underhanded ways and improper partners. Please cleanse me and create in me a pure heart and an unquenchable passion for you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But the path of the just [is] as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day. Proverbs 4:18 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 24, 2012

Devotional:
Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: Acts 2:23 (KJV)

When we think of the Cross, two words we must never associate with it are the words "tragic accident." Peter makes very clear that two separate streams of power converged at the cross. Evil had its way and brought the Son of God to the Cross. God had his plan and he allowed the cross to happen to redeem us. The Cross was no accident. What hell had intended as our ultimate defeat, God used to bring us redemption and triumph. The best and worst of all things collided. Of course the Cross wasn't the ultimate answer in this battle; the empty tomb and the resurrected Lord are. We are the victorious recipients of this grace, paid at such an agonizing cost, administered in such a cruel manner by our greatest adversary, and secured by Jesus' triumph over the grave.

PRAYER:
Holy God, thank you for having a plan in place that insures that my sins can be forgiven and my future with you is secured. Thank you for paying the price for that plan to work. Thank you for triumphing over the wickedness of hell and the work of evil people. I love you so much for all you are and all you have done for me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
So [shall] the knowledge of wisdom [be] unto thy soul: when thou hast found [it], then there shall be a reward, and thy expectation shall not be cut off. Proverbs 24:14 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 25, 2012

Devotional:
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. Genesis 2:24 (KJV)

We are different! God makes us male and female so we can be complements of each other. Each is made in God's image. God's intention is that a husband and wife find their primary human relationship with the other. They still honor their parents, but their home is with each other. Their two lives become one. In this context of lifetime security, they share in the intimate knowledge of each other sexually -- becoming "one flesh." This relationship is to be enjoyed (Proverbs 5), protected (1 Thessalonians 4:3-8), and celebrated (Song of Solomon) for life (Matthew 19:6).

PRAYER:
Holy and Almighty Father, please bless me with strength to live with integrity and purity in today's sexually charged world. Please use your Spirit and your Word to instruct, correct, and convict me as I seek to discover your truth for my relationships and celebrate your will for my sexuality. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that hath a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he giveth of his bread to the poor. Proverbs 22:9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 26, 2012

Devotional:
But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all [men], And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.
John 2:24-25 (KJV)

If we've spent a bunch of time reading the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, & John in the New Testament), we probably have already come to the conclusion stated in our verses. So, if we want to know how to better live as a person, the place to start is Jesus. We need to follow his example and follow his teachings. It is not an easy path, but it is an authentic and transformational journey. As we learn that we can trust him because he knows us, we see our lives take on a greater depth and richer meaning.

PRAYER:
Thank you, Father, for sending your Son to show me how to live and to teach me your truth. In the name of your precious Son, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that walketh with wise [men] shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed. Proverbs 13:20 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 27, 2012

Devotional:
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:26 (KJV)

By this definition, a whole lot of people claiming to be believers are really spiritual corpses. For faith to be real, it must express itself in service. Faith not only moves mountains; it moves believers to act in ways that honor God and bless others, demonstrating their thankfulness for God's incredible grace.

PRAYER:
Holy and Faithful Father, please forgive me for the times I've been lazy in my spiritual walk. Help me see the many opportunities for service you give to me each day, and then empower me to act in those opportunities in ways that bless others. In Jesus' holy name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths. Proverbs 4:11 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 28, 2012

Devotional:
Daniel answered in the presence of the king, and said, The secret which the king hath demanded cannot the wise [men], the astrologers, the magicians, the soothsayers, shew unto the king; But there is a God in heaven that revealeth secrets, and maketh known to the king Nebuchadnezzar what shall be in the latter days. Thy dream, and the visions of thy head upon thy bed, are these; Daniel 2:27-28 (KJV)

What is the bedrock of your faith in uncertain times? Who knows where all the upheaval, tumult, and uncertainty are truly heading?
In whom can you find the solution to your most perplexing problems? For Daniel and his friends, there was one solid and true answer:
the Lord God of Israel. It wasn't in the so-called wise teachers of the day. It wasn't in the religions of the East. It wasn't in the super-spiritualists. It was in God alone.

PRAYER:
Dear Father, you are the One True and Living God! There is no one or no thing that can compare to you in splendor, righteousness, and majesty. To you, Father, belongs all praise, honor, and glory. I trust you to lead my life and guide me into the understanding I need to do your will. In the name of the Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that walketh uprightly walketh surely: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known. Proverbs 10:9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 30, 2012

Devotional:
But where [are] thy gods that thou hast made thee? let them arise, if they can save thee in the time of thy trouble: for [according to] the number of thy cities are thy gods, O Judah. Jeremiah 2:28 (KJV)

Let's focus on one simple concept today. Based on the allocation of our time, interest, lifestyle, expenditures of money, and speech, who or what is our god? Is it the Lord God?

PRAYER:
I am convicted, dear Heavenly Father, of how many false gods crowd into my world and seek my attention. Please bless me and empower me with an undivided heart. I want my heart to be free from anything false that might distort or diminish my loyalty to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Proverbs 27:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
July 31, 2012

Devotional:
Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word: For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, Luke 2:29-30 (KJV)

Old Simeon uttered these words when he saw the Christ child. This is our goal as well. While we cannot physically see Jesus who is our salvation and hold him in our arms as Simeon did, we can see him through Scripture, worship, ministry, evangelism, and the work of the Holy Spirit. Let's make it our aim to honor God as the only true God and to following Jesus as our Lord.

PRAYER:
Righteous Father, please help me to know Jesus better, to be formed more perfectly into his image, and to live with his character. Please, dear God, I want to be like Christ in my character and conduct. I want to be a genuine disciple and become more and more like my great Teacher everyday. It is in his name, Jesus Christ, that I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A righteous [man] hateth lying: but a wicked [man] is loathsome, and cometh to shame. Proverbs 13:5 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 1, 2012

Devotional:
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 1 John 3:1 (KJV)

Some gifts are too precious for words and too wonderful to fully appreciate. The greatest of these gifts is that we are God's children! We have been adopted into the Father's family! Jesus claims us as his younger siblings! Even though the world may not acknowledge this, that condition doesn't make it any less true. After all, the world didn't recognize its Creator when he became flesh and lived among the people he had made. God's Word, however, still proclaims the truth; we ARE the children of God!

PRAYER:
Thank you, dear Heavenly Father, for the incredible blessing of being your child. I know that I haven't begun to understand all the glorious things this gift means. However, dear Father, I look forward to what I can learn now about what it means, and I joyously anticipate the day when I can see you face to face and fully know the meaning of this joy. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established: And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches. Proverbs 24:3-4 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 2, 2012

Devotional:
In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Matthew 3:1-2 (KJV)

These words sound strange in a world that is afraid to tell the truth about sin, wickedness, and evil. Yet every lost person desperately needs to repent -- to change his or her heart and life, seek after God, and live for Jesus as Lord. Yes, salvation is given to us by God's incredible grace. On the other hand, grace that leaves us unchanged is not true grace. Grace not only forgives us through Jesus' sacrificial death on the Cross, but it also liberates us from the empty and destructive life without God and his guidance.

PRAYER:
Forgive me, dear Heavenly Father, for my sin. I want to turn my heart to you and live my life according to your will and for your glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Faithful [are] the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy [are] deceitful. Proverbs 27:6 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 3, 2012

Devotional:
For ye are yet carnal: for whereas [there is] among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? 1 Corinthians 3:3 (KJV)

The Corinthians boasted in their wisdom, giftedness, and tolerance. But, no matter how gifted a church, no matter how full of earthly wisdom, no matter how tolerant, if the people of that church are caught up in petty arguments, cliquishness and ugly quarrels, they are immature. Rather than being a place where Christ is known and shown, it is just another gathering of human foibles.

PRAYER:
Holy and Righteous Father, please convict me of my sins, especially the ones I ignore or do not see. Help me see my weaknesses. Bless me as I seek to overcome my sinfulness and weakness with the help of your Spirit. In addition, dear Father, humble me gently and call me to repentance when I am jealous, quarrelsome, cliquish, or petty. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink: Proverbs 25:21 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 4, 2012

Devotional:
When Christ, [who is] our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. Colossians 3:4 (KJV)

Today, my world is beautiful -- great weather, wonderful church, loving spouse, great kids, and blessed with all I truly need. But this will change. Life is bound up with mortality. Love is connected with imperfect people. Separation by geographical distance, disagreement, and death are bound to happen to a certain extent. The incredible blessing I have in Christ, however, is that my true and lasting life is hidden with Christ in God. So while things may be good in my life now, they're always vulnerable to being touched by mortality. When Christ comes, they will be gloriously perfect and unstained by evil, death, or decay. Now that's good news!

PRAYER:
Holy and Righteous God, thank you so much for your overwhelming and generous grace that saved me from sin. Thank you for Jesus, whose resurrection from the dead insures my resurrection to life with you, and the resurrection reunion that I will have with all those who belong to you. Until that day when I get to praise you face to face, please receive my thanks and praise in Jesus' name.
Amen.

Wisdom:
The righteousness of the perfect shall direct his way: but the wicked shall fall by his own wickedness. Proverbs 11:5 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 6, 2012

Devotional:
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 (KJV)

What do you use for your life's compass? No matter how insightful, wise, experienced, or knowledgeable we may be, only God can guide our steps properly. God asks us to trust him and his wisdom even when we can't immediately see the rationale behind it. He wants us to recognize his presence, guidance, and grace in all we do. As we trust and as we acknowledge his presence, we suddenly realize that our paths are a lot straighter and our destinations are a lot a closer.

PRAYER:
Abba Father, please give me courage to not lean on my own understanding. I know my thinking can be flawed and what I intend for good can blow up in my face. Please bless me with wisdom and insight as I seek to live for you in today's confusing and immoral world. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him. Proverbs 16:7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 7, 2012

Devotional:
And when the woman saw that the tree [was] good for food, and that it [was] pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make [one] wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. Genesis 3:6 (KJV)

Ouch! We've known the way of sin for thousands of years. Yet we sometimes still follow the same path. We're lured by something pleasing to our eyes. We pause for closer inspection of it, allowing ourselves to be caught up in its desirability. We dabble in it and play with it. We then participate in the sin. Finally, we involve others in sin. You'd think we would have learned the pattern and would have stopped by now. So with the help of the Holy Spirit, why don't we start trying to do just that?

PRAYER:
Father, please forgive me for my rebellious and sinful heart. I want to live wholly for you. I don't want to be captured by the allure of sin or tempted by worldly passions, but I do want to passionately live a godly life for your glory. In Jesus' mighty name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A gracious woman retaineth honour: and strong [men] retain riches. Proverbs 11:16 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 8, 2012

Devotional:
But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things [but] loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them [but] dung, that I may win Christ, Philippians 3:7-8 (KJV)

Paul had accomplished great things in his spiritual life before he became a Christian. His devotion to God and to the Word of God was legendary. But he counted his past accomplishments as garbage, compared to knowing Christ and the grace he had received. What he found in Jesus was salvation, not just salvation from sin and death, but salvation to a life of grace and power.

PRAYER:
Almighty and Faithful Father, thank you for your grace that rescued me from legalism, pride, arrogance, sin, and despair. Thank you for the perfection you have given me in Jesus. Please use me to help others come to know your grace more fully. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again. Proverbs 19:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 9, 2012

Devotional:
Salvation [belongeth] unto the LORD: thy blessing [is] upon thy people. Selah. Psalm 3:8 (KJV)

God is The Great Deliverer! That's his chosen expertise. Whether it was delivering the Israelites through the Red Sea from Pharaoh's army ages ago, or it is rescuing a sinner from sin and death through Christ today, our God is The Great Deliverer! So let's use today to repeatedly pray for people who need God's deliverance from sin, death, disease, family conflict, addiction, financial concerns, legal matters, mental illness, abuse, and temptation.

PRAYER:
Holy and Righteous Father, please deliver the friends who are on my heart, and whose names I place before you now. Please release them from their bondage and deliver them into a time of blessing, comfort, and assurance of your abiding presence. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but [he that is] cruel troubleth his own flesh. Proverbs 11:17 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 10, 2012

Devotional:
What then? are we better [than they]? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: Romans 3:9-10 (KJV)

Paul is driving home the point in Romans 3 that none of us can even approximate the perfection and holiness of God. So how do we get there? How do we escape the stranglehold of sin? God's answer is Jesus! I believe that must be our answer, too!

PRAYER:
Holy and Righteous God, I acknowledge before you the sinfulness in my life. Please bless and empower me to live as your victorious child. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that oppresseth the poor reproacheth his Maker: but he that honoureth him hath mercy on the poor. Proverbs 14:31 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 11, 2012

Devotional:
For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith. Galatians 3:10-11 (KJV)

Thankfully, God provided us the Sacrifice that makes us righteous and pays for our sins, because none of us keeps God's Law perfectly. In his boundless grace, God sent Jesus to do what we cannot do: live a perfect life and offer himself as the perfect sacrifice for our sins. We don't have to live under law trying to earn our perfection and God's acceptance. Instead, we live "by faith," trusting that God will look at us through Christ's perfection and not our imperfection, judge us based on Jesus' holiness and not our transgressions, and view us through the Son's righteousness and not our unrighteousness. In this way, we fulfill the righteousness requirements of the Law, without having to be bound to the "curse of the law."

PRAYER:
Almighty and Most Holy God, thank you for your plan of grace that has brought me back from sin and death, and given me a way to live victoriously for you. Thank you, dear Father, for Jesus and his awesome and holy life, and his generous and loving sacrifice for my sins. May the words I say, and the way I live, show that your grace has captured my heart and that true faith in Jesus has changed my life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Give [instruction] to a wise [man], and he will be yet wiser: teach a just [man], and he will increase in learning. Proverbs 9:9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 13, 2012

Devotional:
For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 3:11 (KJV)

There is only one foundation on which the Church and the Christian life can be built. That foundation is Jesus Christ (cf. 1 Peter 2:4-7; Ephesians 2:20). He is the one whom God sent to save us (John 3:16). He is the "way, the truth, and the life," the only way to God (John 14:6). The Lord Jesus Christ is the name above all names, the name at which every knee will bow (Philippians 2:5-11). His is the only name by which we must be saved (Acts 4:12). Let's take time today to specifically honor Jesus as Lord with our hearts, our words, and our actions.

PRAYER:
Lord Jesus, your name is above every other name that has ever been named. Your glory extends back beyond creation and will endure after the light from every sun has been extinguished. Your sacrificial love that saved me is awesome and beyond compare. Please receive my heartfelt adoration and praise. To you belong all glory, majesty, power, and grace for what you have done to save me and what you will one day do to bring me home to you! Amen.

Wisdom:
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent [man] looketh well to his going. A wise [man] feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident. Proverbs 14:15-16 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 14, 2012

Devotional:
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Colossians 3:12 (KJV)

What an incredible thought! We are dearly loved as God's chosen and holy children. No wonder God calls us to a lifestyle of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience! Think of how often our Father needs to use these qualities with us! How can we not share with others what God so abundantly shares with us?

PRAYER:
Father in heaven, thank you for valuing me so highly. While I know some of the ways I fall short of what you want me to be, and many reasons why you might not want to choose me as your beloved and holy child, I thank you that you love me so richly and value me so highly! Please work powerfully in me through your Holy Spirit to make me more like you, not for my glory, but for yours. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The just [man] walketh in his integrity: his children [are] blessed after him. Proverbs 20:7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 15, 2012

Devotional:
Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree: Galatians 3:13 (KJV)

Cursed! Not just in the sense that he was mocked and his detractors cursed at him, but in the sense that he received the curse of death because of our sin. He did what was hideous and scandalous; he died on a Cross -- hung to a tree in front of a jeering mob, executed like sub-human scum. But the beauty of his shame and disgrace is that God made it our redemption. Jesus' ridicule and curse bought us freedom from the curse of our own sins. Praise God! Praise Jesus!

PRAYER:
Almighty Father, I can't even pretend to fathom your ways and why you would require of yourself such a horrific sacrifice to redeem me. Precious Savior, I can't imagine what it was like to hang before a mob carrying the sin of the whole world. All I can do is ask the Holy Spirit to make my thoughts and words convey the gratitude of my heart as he intercedes for me now. Thank you! Praise you! May my life truly honor you! In the mighty name of Jesus, I praise. Amen.

Wisdom:
The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left [to himself] bringeth his mother to shame. Proverbs 29:15 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 16, 2012

Devotional:
And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach, Mark 3:14 (KJV)

While there are many intriguing and fascinating thoughts in this short sentence, the one phrase that touches my heart is this one: "... that they might be with him ...." This reminds me of that great passage in Acts 4:13: "[T]hey recognized that they had been with Jesus." Now I know that we can't "be with" Jesus in the same way the twelve apostles were. But, we do have the four Gospels that tell his story. When was the last time you sat down and read one straight through? When was the last time you read a Gospel and asked Jesus to make Himself and His will known you? Why not spend some time being with Jesus this week!

PRAYER:
Holy Father, thank you for the Scriptures. Thank you especially for the Gospels that tell the story of your Son. Please forgive me for not spending more time getting to know him better. As I recommit myself to seek after your Son, please bless me with a genuine sense of his presence and a clearer knowledge of his will. In Jesus' holy name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Children's children [are] the crown of old men; and the glory of children [are] their fathers. Proverbs 17:6 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 17, 2012

Devotional:
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. Genesis 3:15 (KJV)

This is God's curse upon the serpent who tempted Eve and Adam to sin. Satan is the personality behind the serpent. Even in this curse, even in the recognition of a struggle between the woman's offspring and Satan, God embeds his promise for our better future. In Jesus, that future comes! Satan appears to win the battle at the Cross, but the passage of three days changes everything. Jesus' triumph over death leaves him with only a "bruised heel," but leaves Satan powerless to make death the final word. The Evil One's best plans and greatest power lie crushed at the doorway of Jesus' empty tomb!

PRAYER:
Thank you, dear Father, for taking the stinger out of death and establishing an assured hope for my future. Not only do I believe that Jesus rose from the dead, but I also believe you will also raise me up and bless me with life forever in your presence. For this enduring victory, I praise you in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The discretion of a man deferreth his anger; and [it is] his glory to pass over a transgression. Proverbs 19:11 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 18, 2012

Devotional:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. John 3:16-17 (KJV)

Jesus came to save the world. Jesus came to save you. Jesus came to save me. Why? Because of the Father's love!

PRAYER:
Holy and Righteous Father, thank you for your love. I know I didn't earn it or deserve it, but thank you. Until the day I see you face to face and express my appreciation and my praise, please know my heartfelt gratitude and my deep and abiding joy because of your plan, your Son, and your salvation. I thank you in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
In all labour there is profit: but the talk of the lips [tendeth] only to penury. Proverbs 14:23 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
August 20, 2012

Devotional:
Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. Philippians 3:17 (KJV)

"I would rather see a sermon any day, than hear one." I'm not distressed because people want to "see a sermon," but because so many of us don't "practice what we preach." As leaders -- whether as friends, parents, or in positions of authority -- our primary tool of influence is our life of character (or lack of it). Do you practice what you "preach"? All of us who seek to influence others redemptively, MUST! Why? Because most folks need to both hear and see the message before it becomes a part of them.

PRAYER:
Lord God Almighty, please forgive me, equip me, and make me fit for your service. Please help me, dear Father, as I try to live a life worth imitating and to lead others to Jesus. I know I can't do either of those without your power and grace transforming my life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He that loveth pureness of heart, [for] the grace of his lips the king [shall be] his friend. Proverbs 22:11 (KJV)