How Long Did it Take You to Know Your *Natural Curls*?

Risingsun

Does it seem like forever learning your curls, or have you mastered them? I have learned what my hair likes and dislikes. Knowing this is a major step in hair styling and health. Please feel free to express yourselves!:yay:

Hair Grade A+ (Groomed & Healthy)
I have several textures!
Find Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/Moorevolve

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
It took about a year to learn how to properly clean, moisturize, detangle and protect my hair. Im still learning new things about my hair everyday. Itll probably take another year to learn what not to do. An examplto: Ive been dyeing my hair and I had a setback last time, so dye is a no go for me.

Joigirl

Still learning. Just when I think I have my routine mastered, my hair does something unexpected. Maybe it is the weather extremes in WI, but my hair's needs change from week to week.

Ravenhairedbeauty

When I was fully natural it took me a year to learn my curls. Lots of trial and error but at least i know what to look forward to once i finish my transition and bc in 4 months. :)

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
It is an ongoing process for me. I don't think it will end any time soon.

krissyhair

It took me one summer to learn my hair. I knew that saturation with a moisturizing cream like product -- leave-in or conditioner -- was the best for my hair. I knew that wearing it in a wet bun was the best way to grow it fast. I also learned that my curls are gorgeous and they don't take much effort.

Fenaxa

I'm still learning. There are so many factors you have to take into account before you can "master" your hair, but for me, I have a really good idea of what my hair likes and how to keep it happy. I definitely know what it doesn't like and I learn something new everytime I think I found my "grail product".
So far so good though so I'm doing something right. Just reached my 2 year mark yesterday.

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
I have figured out my hair except for the front and temples. I'm still trying to reach a good protein/moisture balance there. It also tangles more and sheds a lot. I'll figure it out. The rest I have down to a science.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I think the longest part was getting used to not seeing straight hair on my head. Once I mentally accepted my hair in its natural state, I was able to learn a variety of hairstyles that works for my styling skill set.

Britt

Good topic, this will be me when I big chop. I def know the poos and conditioners that will work for me, that won't change much. But when it comes to styling products, dealing with humidity, which products will make my hair frizz out in heat, etc. -- that will all certainly be a learning process and especially dealing with the different textures in my head and how the different areas respond to products, weather, styling, etc....

Risingsun

I'm still learning. There are so many factors you have to take into account before you can "master" your hair, but for me, I have a really good idea of what my hair likes and how to keep it happy. I definitely know what it doesn't like and I learn something new everytime I think I found my "grail product".
So far so good though so I'm doing something right. Just reached my 2 year mark yesterday.
That is interesting. I found that a lot of store bought products kept me from really getting to know my hair.

Risingsun

I think the longest part was getting used to not seeing straight hair on my head. Once I mentally accepted my hair in its natural state, I was able to learn a variety of hairstyles that works for my styling skill set.
Well good for you. Accepting yourself is included in the beginnings of hair journeys.

NaturallyATLPCH

The most important thing I've learned is that my hair thrives when I leave it alone so I protect it a lot. That actually works for me since I work out a lot.

ckisland

For me the TWA stage was easy peezy, just cowash and go. My problem was doing to much, and wanting to try every regimen and style out. Sigh. I went through protective style phases, twistout phases, braidout phases, bunning phases, rollerset phases, blowdryer/ heat straightening phases :spinning: . All of these besides my last braidout phase, caused some kind of setback. For some crazy reason, I thought that I wasn't doing enough to my hair, and that I needed to jump through some hoops to get to the length I wanted :spinning:.
From a TWA to MBL, my hair loves wash n'gos. In my fourth year, my hair changed a little and I discovered that I needed to add CO HOT and protein and wash less (my hair's prone to hygral fatigue), and use gel to keep knots at bay. My hair cousin is Denimpixie, and if I had stuck to wash n'gos 99% of the time like she did, I wouldn't have struggled so much to get to WL. But now that I learned my lesson, this time around is going to be so much simpler :grin:.

silenttullip

Before this site I spent 4 years doing the wrong stuff not knowing my curls
I joined in like 2009 and I figured out what worked and didn't for the most part by about 2011 So yeah a good while