Now Forming an Army of SUPER-LONG HAIR 4B (or mostly 4b) NATURALS!! Come on in!

Platinum

Hey Platinum - I would wash, PT, DC, detangle REALLY well, and blow dry it out straight before going to the braider. Wouldn't give them any excuse to give you a set back.

I don't think straightening it is necessary, especially if you blow dry it really well.

Thank you bride91501. I did exactly what you said. After DC'ing, I applied Wild Growth Hair Oil to my hair while damp and blow dried. The braider was so surprised with the softness. I'm definitely do this again for my next install.

Drtondalia

aww, thanks Bride:kiss:

I'm forever second guessing myself when it comes to claiming lengths:lol:, i refused to create a new thread to ask that question simply because I was so unsure, I ain't wanna get roasted:lol:

y'all just made my day:cloud9: Thanks ladies!:circle::lots:

Do you attribute your retention to PSing?

Etherealsmile

@Drtondalia yes indeed:yep:. i'm very lazy when it comes to my hair due to my busy schedule:spinning:.

I normally wear my hair in twists for 2 weeks at a time before wash day. I tend not to fuss around with it too much because I want as much retention as possible. Once I reach my goal then i'll be wearing it out /down more often than not.

I know my technique will not work for everybody but so far its been working fine for me :)

coyacoy

Hi Imani - yep, i also just did a little trim on what i suspect were the last of my relaxed ends. every now and again i'm not sure whether i missed a few remaining relaxed ends or if they are just dry, but natural. You mentioned that you found some over the shelf natural products that you are diggin on; what are they? I'm still a bit of a novice in terms of mixing up my own stuff so some things i do still purchase "ready-made". Aubrey organics is a good line as is the carol's daughter black vanilla shampoo and the curl perfecting hair milk conditioner. I also swear by Qhmet products!

coyacoy

:newbie:
hello ladies! Lurker here....been following all of you inspiring hair divas for the past year or so. loving this thread so much - this is my first time posting! :grin:

So I am a 4a/4b; my last relaxer was in August of 2009. My hair is currently a couple of inches past my shoulders but is not as thick as I would like it in the front due to years of wearing weaves for no other reason than convenience and unfortunately demonstrated little concern for real hair care and maintenance:perplexed (hindsight is soooo 20/20)! Since frequently visiting this wonderful website, reading cathy howse's book; and visiting countless naturalista blogspots - not to mention trying countless products (got the product graveyard in the spare bathroom to prove it:yep:) over the past year and a half, i have finally learned that my hair absolutely must have natural products. The regimen that I have finally found (hallelujah!) and which has been phenomenol in terms of keeping my typically very dry hair moisturized is:
  • wash weekly with a homemade shampoo using black african soap and a bunch of pure oils - this is an extremely moisturizing shampoo - so wonderful
  • pre-poo (leave in for at least an hour) with a homemade condish using pure shea butter or mango butter base, veg glycerin, rose water, other oil faves (typical oil faves include JBCO, shea butter oil, almond, coconut, grapeseed)
  • deep condish at least every other week with variation of above condish (just using different mixers)
  • braid as PS and wear lace front daily
  • moisturize daily with coconut oil and vatika - seal ends w/JBCO couple times a week
  • sulfur 3-5 times weekly (2tsp mix w/8oz JBCO) - i don't usually worry about washing out - but BEWARE ! the sulfur can tarnish real gold jewelry (I learned the hard way:nono: )
  • co wash as needed (translation - when i feel like it :yep:)
  • i wash my hair in sections to mitigate tangling - this has made a world of difference re: ease of the hair washing experience) - i apply a bit of Giovanni hair condish while in the shower just for purposes of detangling/combing)
  • as a side, i just did my first henna after months of researching and love it! all that it was cracked up to be - loosened curl pattern just a tad bit which was perfect - made it feel and look slightly thicker (hoping this will increase with use) - mixed it with the homemade condish and used aloe vera juice instead of distilled water - made a nice paste so that i was able to just scoop it up and apply - rinsed easily, but is time consuming to rinse all the way out - will be doing this monthly
Wheh! :spinning: sorry for the long post - so excited to finally be contributing (I hope!). HHG
Hi Imani - yep, i also just did a little trim on what i suspect were the last of my relaxed ends. every now and again i'm not sure whether i missed a few remaining relaxed ends or if they are just dry, but natural. You mentioned that you found some over the shelf natural products that you are diggin on; what are they? I'm still a bit of a novice in terms of mixing up my own stuff so some things i do still purchase "ready-made". Aubrey organics is a good line as is the carol's daughter black vanilla shampoo and the curl perfecting hair milk conditioner. I also swear by Qhmet products!

ceecy29

Ok so I need to find a moisturizer that works for my hair. I want that ever elusive soft hair. It's been 3 years!!! Suggestions are welcome.

I'll tell you what I've tried:
Shea butter mixes (requires me to twist my hair up to feel its short-lived effect + the smell ...)
Alaffia leave-in
Qhemet AOHC and BRBC
Cantu shea butter leave-in...eww!!!
scurl & care free curl (my scalp would hate me if I ever tried these again)
Taliah waajid protective mist bodifier

The only thing that comes close to moisturizing my hair is Kinky curly knot today...they were on to something with those ingredients (I don't see water on the list so maybe that has something to do with why it works) but it's missing something, so I have to layer some oyin burnt sugar pomade on top of it.

Help a 4b sister out. I mean my hair is thriving and all but can I experience soft hair even if it's fleeting?!

tmkersha

Ok so I need to find a moisturizer that works for my hair. I want that ever elusive soft hair. It's been 3 years!!! Suggestions are welcome.

I'll tell you what I've tried:
Shea butter mixes (requires me to twist my hair up to feel its short-lived effect + the smell ...)
Alaffia leave-in
Qhemet AOHC and BRBC
Cantu shea butter leave-in...eww!!!
scurl & care free curl (my scalp would hate me if I ever tried these again)
Taliah waajid protective mist bodifier

The only thing that comes close to moisturizing my hair is Kinky curly knot today...they were on to something with those ingredients (I don't see water on the list so maybe that has something to do with why it works) but it's missing something, so I have to layer some oyin burnt sugar pomade on top of it.

Help a 4b sister out. I mean my hair is thriving and all but can I experience soft hair even if it's fleeting?!
You may want to try kimmays home made leave in since it has knot today in the recipe.
2 tablespoons of knot today
2 tablespoons of aloe vera juice
2 teaspoons of castor oil
2 teaspoons of jojoba oil

I use this and it leaves my hair very moisturized.

bride91501

Hey ceecy29 - you sound like me a few months ago.

My staple moisturizers are now Taliah Wajid MB & Shea Moisture Restorative Leave in Conditioner. I always seal both with my WGO/castor oil blend and my hair is super soft. I really can't stop touching it lol.

The key for me is to always wet my hair with a little water before I moisturize and seal. Not sure why that seems to make such a difference but it does.

ceecy29

You may want to try kimmays home made leave in since it has knot today in the recipe.
2 tablespoons of knot today
2 tablespoons of aloe vera juice
2 teaspoons of castor oil
2 teaspoons of jojoba oil

I use this and it leaves my hair very moisturized.

Thanks!!! I did, that's the reason I found knot today in the first place. The leave-in mix did nothing for my hair. But by itself, the knot today was good. I'm guessing my hair hates aloe vera.

transitioning?

bride91501 sorry I haven't been over her in while but I have missed it. Good to hear that your only taking a short break.

I'm into my second week out of 8 wig wearing weeks and it is hard. These short wigs itch. Next time I will stick with long and curly

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Pooks

Thanks!!! I did, that's the reason I found knot today in the first place. The leave-in mix did nothing for my hair. But by itself, the knot today was good. I'm guessing my hair hates aloe vera.

I didn't like the KT leave in either, but haven't been bothered to modify it and try it again.

I just wanted to ask if you've tried the Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee from Qhemet, or the newer Moringha Tree Detangling Ghee? I love the CTDG, not just as a detangler, but also a moisturiser/leave in. Just an idea..

twatombl

I'm still learning hair types and am happy to have found this thread, I'm going through now to visit fotki's to have a better idea for my hair type, which I am almost positive is a 4b because of how many similar hair textures while wet I have seen thus far on the board. Thank you for this thread for new naturals/girls that are new to the board. Everything is so organized I'm combing through posts and literally finding everything I need!

ceecy29

I didn't like the KT leave in either, but haven't been bothered to modify it and try it again.

I just wanted to ask if you've tried the Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee from Qhemet, or the newer Moringha Tree Detangling Ghee? I love the CTDG, not just as a detangler, but also a moisturiser/leave in. Just an idea..

Hey Vee!!! I haven't tried any of the Qhem products you listed and I was discouraged after trying the much raved about AOHC and BRBC. Have you tried either of the two I just mentioned? Did they work for you?

I'll look into the CTDG and hope I have luck with it. Thanks!!!

lushcoils

ceecy29

I'm 4B too and my hair hates Qhemet, Cantu, scurl and plain shea butter too. I know these products are very popular, but not everyone's hair is the same. Have you looked into Darcy's botanicals or Bee Mine? My hair likes these products a lot better. My hair also seems to like products with silk amino acids in them. My Nature's gate biotin shampoo and Organix conditioner has SAA, and they both make my hair feel so moisturized even when I don't add the Darcy's and Bee Mine.

ceecy29

ceecy29

I'm 4B too and my hair hates Qhemet, Cantu, scurl and plain shea butter too. I know these products are very popular, but not everyone's hair is the same. Have you looked into Darcy's botanicals or Bee Mine? My hair likes these products a lot better. My hair also seems to like products with silk amino acids in them. My Nature's gate biotin shampoo and Organix conditioner has SAA, and they both make my hair feel so moisturized even when I don't add the Darcy's and Bee Mine.

lushcoils, I hear you. So what products from darcy's botanicals and bee mine specifically work for you. I'm open to suggestions. Once I find something that works, I'll be happy and it doesn't have to be fancy or raved about. Thanks!!!

JessieLeleB

WELCOME @JessieLeleB !

Don't be shy- what are your length goals? What's your current reggie?

bride91501

*My length is ear length, I just transitioned for 6 months then cut it in feb,

*im in micros right now so my current reggie is:
*co-wash every other day,
*put MTG/sulfer mix on scalp every other day,
*put homemade mango/avocado butter on braides and homemade hair spirits every 2-3 days.
*Im taking vitamins but thats off and on

I'm keeping my hair in micros for at least 6 months, redoing them every 6-7weeks followed by a protein treatment and deep conditioning treatment in-between braids

Homemade Butter and Spirits containDistilled H2O, EVOO, EVCO, glycerin, Vatika Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Lavender Oil, Peppermint Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, DL-Panthenol, Honeyquat, Silk Amino Acids, Vitamin E, Jojoba Oil, Grapeseed Oil and Avocado Oil But they dont smell so good so I will be buying natural products when I finish these off.

meeschka

Heyz!

Just came across this thread and I am looooving it! It is so inspirational to see other type 4s with healthy, long, beautiful hair. So major thanks for posting pics. I'm newly natural after a yr transtion and I just love how my hair feels and responds to products now.I'm currently collarbone length and my big issue right now protecting my ends which constantly rub against things. My goal is to reach APL by the end of the year.

Imani

ceecy29

lushcoils I've always thought from ur posts our hair seems similar. My hair doesn't really like those products either. As a matter of fact, I have not found a use for butters at all on my hair.

And I really like Bee Mine products. The Bee-u-ti-ful conditioner is in my conditioner mix (I DC w/like 4 different products mixed up) and the Luscious Balanced has been my staple moisturizer for months now. I have not tried Natures Gate or Organix. I did try the Darcy's leave in, and it wasn't bad but I just didn't feel like it really did anything at all. For leave in I do Kimmaytube's leave in mix and add some of the darcy's (mainly just to use it up and add some thickness to the mix) and my Bee Mine luscious moisturizer.

do u have a fotki or photo album?

Last edited:

Imani

coyacoy Sorry I am just now seeing ur post! Some stuff I like right now

Keracare Sulfate-free Hydrating detangling shampoo (not natural tho)
Bee Mine Botanical Moisturizing Shampoo

Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner
Aubrey Organics Island Naturals Conditioner
Curl Junkie Banana Hibiscus
Bee Mine Bee-u-ti-ful deep conditioner

Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer

For me personally Carol's daughters products did nothing for my hair (I've only tried the moisturizers). And neither did Qhemet.

Last edited:

bride91501

So I'm finally getting around to posting these pics lol. My second style experiment in my month off from my normal PS of cornrows under wigs was mini-twists. I wanted to try these cuz im looking to eventually add another LT PS to my arsenal.

Pros- they were very easy to do- no high tech skill needed. They looked nice, and were easy to style.

Cons- they took FOREVER to put in. And I do mean forever. I'm learning that although my hair is dense, my strands are medium to fine, and b/c my hair is rarely loose, I fooled myself into forgetting the dense part. OMG they took me 4 days to do, totaling maybe 10 hours altogether?? I nearly died lol.

Also, the shrinkage on them is something crazy when they got wet. Speaking of, b/c of my fitness regimen, I have to wet my hair a few times per week, which made me paranoid about matting or other issues with the twists.

I'm also not used to my ends being exposed like they were, which made me extremely paranoid the entire time I wore them lol. All in all, I liked them a lot, but I think I'll wait until my hair is longer before I add this to my PS arsenal.

Wet hair- maybe 40-50% shrinkage here?

Close-up

Not the best shot, but you can see the full shrinkage. Taken after 3 weeks in.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Hey ladies,

I've only just recently began my healthy hair journey, been learning sooooooo much from u guys here on LHCF! I haven't relaxed my hair since July 2010, but its only this year I decided to actually take care of it. This is my first post after about a month of lurking. You guys are my hair inspirations.....4bs ROCK ON!

bride91501

Your twists look very nice. Did you do them on naked hair or did you apply some product on them?

Thanks faithVA. Since I found LHCF, I never do anything on "naked" hair...there's always something up in there to keep it moisturized :grin:. I applied my leave-in (SM Restorative Conditioner), sealed with WGO/castor oil, then set the twists using homemade flaxseed gel. They were done on hair that had been air dried in braids for 2 days (was feeling lazy lol).