AFFIRM USERS......

honeycomb719

I went to the beauty supply today looking for this Affirm lye relaxer that has been reccommended by many of the ladies here(making the switch Feb 8th.) after going to 4 beauty supplies, I finally found it(gosh). I'm not sure, but is this relaxer supposed to be this expensive($23.99) for the kit, and I was told that I had to be a licensed cosmotologist to buy it. I was reading the kit and it had no-lye on(regular strenght).Didn't bother to look at the super strenght to see what it said. Is this the right one? Do it come both ways?(lye and no-lye form) Plus, the kit contained something that supposed to be applied to the hair before relaxing. I called around to a few salons( before I started my search) all ones that my friends go to, and they don't use this Affirm relaxer /images/graemlins/crazy.gif Everyone of them uses Motions or Bantu or Bone Strait. I'm wondering if the relaxer I was looking at is the right one. Do any of you ladies have your Affirm relaxer did at home? If so what's the process? I really want to try this relaxer since so many of the ladies recommended it. I was not able to find the Mizani line either, it was like I was speaking a foreign language when I asked about these two relaxers. Is this something that's mainly used in the south or what? It's been a real ordeal trying to get this relaxer today. I'm about 2 weeks away from my touch-up date, but had a feeling I should start looking now because I had never heard of it until I started using hair boards. My friend and Aunt are licensed cosmotologist and they never heard of it either. I'm thinking about having one of them go purchase it for me, but not before I do so homework about it. I'm hoping you ladies can help me out w/ price ranges and process or products that should be found in the Affirm kit. I want to be sure before I spend all that money for something I know nothing about.

Thanx to all that responds in advance /images/graemlins/smile.gif

azul11

i know places that sell affirm relaxers. i never actually tried to purchase one so i am not sure if i would need a license for it. i want to try it but i too do not know a good salon that does it. i didnt know they have no lye and lye. i saw designer essentials and i wanted to try it but again if you dont know where to go to get the touch up down what is the point of having tubs and tubs of relaxer. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif God bless you all.

pebbles

Hi honeycomb,

I have seen the no-lye version on sale in a few beauty supply stores, but I've never seen the lye version anywhere. /images/graemlins/look.gif I don't know for the price, but the ones I've seen (no-lye) have been expensive. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ive seen the Affirm lye relaxer for 10.99 over by house over here in Brooklyn, NY. All it comes with is the thing you're suppose to mix the relaxer with(cant remember whats that called right now) but I dont know if the Affirm is suppose to come with anything else though

beana3

meinzzfuture: are you sure its the lye version?? I see no-lye everywhere but i haven't found the lye at all. I've looked high and low... trhe no-lye formulation comes with a "activator" or this separate bottle you mix in. and it contians calicium hydroxide. Are you sure its the lye version???? Can u check for us, b/c if is, i'll be seeing you in brooklyn soon!!!

Kitkat

Honeycomb, the Affirm lye relaxer is expensive. I can see why salons charge more for using Affirm instead of other relaxer systems. You usually have to buy each piece separately - relaxer, reconstructor, etc. - and each piece is expensive, too. When I was pricing it a few months ago, I saw prices ranging anywhere from $10 to $16. I don't think you're supposed to mix anything into Affirm relaxers; if you do, that sounds suspiciously like a no lye relaxer, which Affirm carries. Look at the ingredients; if it sez guanidine hydroxide (I'm probably mangling the spelling here) instead of sodium hydroxide, it's not lye.

Affirm can be very hard to find because not every beauty supply place has it. I don't know where you live, but in New York it's usually behind the counters at beauty supply places where they have to hand it to you, instead of on the shelves where you can just pick it up. They're only supposed to sell it to licensed cosmetologists, but they'll usually sell it to you on the downlow anyway with no hassle.

honeycomb719

Thanx ladies for your reply. Is it worth all the trouble to find this Affirm lye relaxer or is there something else you ladies can suggest? /images/graemlins/frown.gif Please don't say Mizani because I searched for both yesterday, but none carried it and the last one only had the Affirm no-lye *sigh* /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

pebbles

Honeycomb,

You can find the Mizani relaxer online! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Rayne hooked me up: Mizani Relaxer Scroll down the column and click on Mizani. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

honeycomb719

Thanx Pebbles /images/graemlins/grin.gif Is this as good as Affirm? Is this a lye only relaxer? Do it come in mild? Sorry so many questions /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pebbles

No problem. Mizani is as good as Affirm. I wonder if the one for sensitive scalp is a no-lye, but I would verify that with the company. I don't know for sure if Mizani makes a no-lye version. I've only heard of lye relaxers by Mizani so far. I haven't ordered from them because I want to try the Elucence relaxer first. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hello honeycomb!

I use affirm and have for a couple of years now and have quite a few friends who have used it longer than that(it has been GREAT!). The Affirm relaxer is by Avlon Industries . It is the same company that makes the KeraCare product line(which you can get at ULTA, & JCPenny). If you go to the link I have above you can locate salons in your area which use Affirm. Affirm is a lye relaxer- in Reg, normal& "Super". However, the Sensitive Scalp formula is a no lye product. You may wish to do a search through the posts here on LHCF for additional purchase information. HTH /images/graemlins/wink.gif

honeycomb719

I didn't think about calling the JCPenny salon, I always thought only old ladies got they hair done there /images/graemlins/grin.gif But, I will give them a call /images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanx!!

DOTNOV

Hi! Honeycomb
I live in Detroit too! and you can find Affirm and Mizani at Craig Beauty Supply on the west side of Detroit on McNichols. I think that's the name of it. It's between the Southfield Freeway and Greenfield on McNichols. I believe it is a pink building. I'm not sure of the price but I know they carry it.

Tracy

Just a point on lye relaxers - as an FYI...

Most of the time (in fact all of them that I've used and I've used many - too many /images/graemlins/wink.gif ) you do not need to mix them with anything. They come ready to go. If it requires any mixing of any kind, that's usually a good sign that it's a no lye....

HTH

Sorry the affirm i saw for 10.99 was no lye and came with the activator. The man in the store showed me the lye one it was a real big jar.didnt check how much though but it was like 40 dollars. Ill check again if anyones interested

G

You can't it from the Stores, Avalon, only sells to Distributors, directly to Beauticians, so you have to be a beautican to get it.

You can find the no lye one, sometime that must be what you saw. But get the one from a beautican.. Tell them to order it that's what you want. I found that quite a few here don't do Affirm either, because of that. But if that's what you want. I want to go back to it but I'm kinda scared of going from sodium hydroxide back to quaindine, I don't want the hair problems. but my daughter did it and she still has hair, so maybe..

peacelove

I use affirm lye - but I get my relaxer done at the salon so I have never bought. Try the avalon sight to get the list of stores that are licensed to carry the products. You have a better shot of getting the lye relaxer there. Good luck!!

G

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

You can find the Mizani relaxer online! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Rayne hooked me up: Mizani Relaxer Scroll down the column and click on Mizani. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to order Moisturefuse for $8 and s/h is $8 total $15.95.. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I really need to find this locally