OKRA FOR YOUR HAIR - That's right...the vegetable!

Isis

Re: OKRA FOR YOUR HAIR - That\'s right...the vegetable!

Not yet. Thank you for the recipe Mahalialee4 - I have it saved.
I've eaten some okra though!

pookeylou

I never tried the okra concoction but the Coolaulin Conditioner made with Okra from Lush is GONE!!!! That stuff was good, but I found something that works better.

gn1g

WHere did u buy the pine tar oil?

hotshot

i used a sample of chanous aunties oil and i like it. it doesnt smell as bad as i thought.

Mahalialee4

At a tack shop. Or at a pharmacy that caters to people and animals (ie. horses too). Bonjour.

VinDieselsWifey

how is the concoction working for you? have you noticed an increase in growth, softness, thickness, etc?

hotshot

softness and thickness are great! i love this stuff!

gn1g

How is this working for you all? any results to report?

auntybe

Just found this thread. Now I understand one of the nutrients I am missing in my diet. When I was younger my hair was elbow length...If I measured then alomst waist length when I was seated. What I did:

Take a Liquid vitamin and eat a lot of okra. I was my fav veggie....my hair grew like weeds. I don't each as much. The doctor recently told me I needed more IRON and more ZINC! Hmmm!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

I skipped this thread the first go 'round. I thought you all were eating the okra. /images/graemlins/barf.gif I may have to try this... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

godzooki

hmmm...Do you think okra would be a good juicing vegi? I hate the cooked taste and probably will not be able to get all the ingredients to make the oil concoction but I do have a juicer and was thinking about trying to juice the okra and make a carrrot/okra/cabbage/ apple hair drink instead. Heck, I don't even know what okra would look like in the vegi section!

Ipanema

From my recollection, okra is slimy. That would make a nasty, mucus-like drink.

KiniKakes

Thanks for bumping this.

I just read thru this entire thread and it sounds enticing. Its been about 2 years since this was posted..... Im wondering if anyone continued to use the concoction created by Chanou's aunt and, if so, can you please post your results??? :D

Isis

sassygirl125 said:
I skipped this thread the first go 'round. I thought you all were eating the okra. /images/graemlins/barf.gif I may have to try this... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif
Some of us are eating the okra. It's very high in zinc which is excellent for our hair. Especially since this thread, I always keep frozen okra stocked.

sweetcashew

When I was a kid, I'd spent the entire summer with my Grandma in the country and she use to wash my hair once a week with Okra. My hair was long before but the amount it grew during that summer was astronomical!

Isis

sweetcashew said:
When I was a kid, I'd spent the entire summer with my Grandma in the country and she use to wash my hair once a week with Okra. My hair was long before but the amount it grew during that summer was astronomical!
That's pretty interesting. How exactly did your grandmother do this? Did she wash your hair with okra and shampoo or a concoction with okra in it ( or just with okra)?

sweetascocoa

omigod. when i was a child, okra was my fav veggie and i ate it nearly everyday. and i had the longest hair throughout elementary/middle school. ive been eating it lately but not a lot

sweetcashew

Isis said:
That's pretty interesting. How exactly did your grandmother do this? Did she wash your hair with okra and shampoo or a concoction with okra in it ( or just with okra)?

She used a mixture of okra, okra leaves( which she crushed) and soap(I think it was a detol soap). Honestly that summer I had lice :lachen: but my hair was so thick they couldn't breathe so they were crawling on the top of my hair for the whole world to see. My grandma used the okra as a treatment which killed the lice after the first treatment. But she continued to use it for the rest of the 2.5 months I was there.
I wish she was alive so I could ask her about it.

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

This is amazing! I ate okra soooooo much as a child and I loved it! My mother use to cook it and it wasn't slimey at all. My hair was so long and stayed that way as long as I can remember. I stopped eating okra when I became a young adult and my hair didn't grow as fast or as long since then. I think we got something here!!

:Flahsssss Props goes out to those ladies from 2 years ago who
first started this thread! :kisses:

I'm going to start eating okra again and I'm going to make the oil concoction! I'm feeling my hair getting excited:grin:

Blessings...:p

Isis

sweetcashew said:
She used a mixture of okra, okra leaves( which she crushed) and soap(I think it was a detol soap). Honestly that summer I had lice :lachen: but my hair was so thick they couldn't breathe so they were crawling on the top of my hair for the whole world to see. My grandma used the okra as a treatment which killed the lice after the first treatment. But she continued to use it for the rest of the 2.5 months I was there.
Thank you for your reply.

Hmm... After reading your experience and many of the others who applied or ate okra, I may be growing some in my garden this year. Maybe an Okra Challenge would be a good idea.:)

I feel your excitement Nice & Wavy and I'll be having some okra for dinner tonight!

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

Isis said:
Thank you for your reply.

Hmm... After reading your experience and many of the others who applied or ate okra, I may be growing some in my garden this year. Maybe an Okra Challenge would be a good idea.:)

I feel your excitement Nice & Wavy and I'll be having some okra for dinner tonight!

An Okra challenge is a great idea....I'm also going to start a okra garden...ok hair.....down my back you go!!!! :lol:

carameldiva

Haven't tried this product. But i went to www.lush.com - clicked on the american flag and purchased the hard water shampoo bar, jungle conditioner bar, soft water shampoo bar, honey i washed the kids soap bar and sea vegetarian soap bar. So far i have tried the hard water shampoo bar, jungle conditioner bar, and honey i washed the kids soap bar. My hair and body responded well. The soap bar made me smell like honey for hours and hours after i used it and the shampoo and conditioner made my hair look and feel great- got lots of compliments.

Lucia

sweetcashew said:

Maybe you could make the mixture from memory, you know she used Okra and leaves, just go to the farmers market, or healthy food store and ask if they have this, maybe you'll remember the smell. I used to eat Okra alot as a child too, but I don't eat Okra as often anymore, I've started back up though.

Last edited: