Hair Problems

H

HoneyRockette

Healthy hair, according to most people, is hair that is soft, shiny, strong and full of body. What are your main hair concerns? What do you think stands in the way of the healthy hair you want?

My Hair Concerns
<ul type="square"> [*]frizz [*]lack of volume (when my hair isn't frizzy) [*]breakage [/list]

P.S. If you don't have any hair problems, please don't post "none". It will make me feel bad. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kitkat

<font color="purple">Hi HoneyRockette. My main hair problems are: <ul type="square"> dryness
split ends
breakage. [/list]
I WISH that I were in the position to report that I had no problems!! /images/graemlins/frown.gif </font color>

rayne

Right now, my mane /images/graemlins/smile.gif concerns are:

split ends and breakage--I've limited my use of heat drastically, but I still get them

reversion--my last 4 perms "didn't take". I tried both no-lye and lye, and the results were the same.

dullness--I just started having this problem recently so I'm not sure what's causing it. I guess my hair is just going through a phase /images/graemlins/frown.gif

G

Breakage is definitely my number one problem. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kitkat

<font color="brown">Rayne, I feel your pain regarding your relaxer. Coming out of a year-long braids stint, I relaxed virgin hair with a no-lye relaxer. I didn't leave it in long enough for the hair to get straight, and the curl was only loosened. My stylist permed me with a lye relaxer and pulled it through the hair in an effort to straighten it. Well, it's plenty straight as long as I roller set it, do braid-outs, or the like. I imagine heat would also straighten it but I've sworn off of any form of heat. But if I wash it and leave it alone, it looks almost natural with a wavy curl pattern. I suspect that the only thing I can do is grow out the previously relaxed hair and start with a fresh head of hair. According to the Shamboosie book, what happened is that the no-lye relaxer locked a curl pattern into my hair that no other relaxer, lye or otherwise, will straighten. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Was the initial perm that failed to take done with a no-lye relaxer?</font color>

rayne

Yep!! The first perm was Isoplus no lye. I used to get very good results from this relaxer so I figured that either I didn't leave it in long enough or that it was a bad batch. So about a month or two later, I tried again with the Dark-n-Lovely no lye. When that didn't take either, I went back to the Isoplus a few months later...which still didn't take. After reading about lye v/s no lye on various hair boards, I decided to switch to Vitale lye. That didn't take too well either so now I don't know what to do. I thought about going to a stylist to have it professionally done, but they don't last either. I have color in my hair, so that strongest relaxer they will give me is a mild. That's not strong enough, so I'm back to square one. Hmmmm, I guess a no-lye must have locked in the curl pattern like you said, because thinking back, I can't remember the last time my relaxer came out right and all I've been using were no-lyes.

G

My biggest concerns at this point are
1. growing out layers, contemplating wether or not to just get them cut back in
2. split ends, I'm obsessed with dusting, I do it at my desk while I talk to customers
3. breakage from wearing the hair down, I've been trying to wear it up to prevent the shirts I wear from breaking my hair. (last time I got a trim, the lady said I was getting some breakage in the back /images/graemlins/frown.gif )
4. once my old stylist told me that the back of my hair is much stronger than the front of my hair and that it was odd since normally it's the other way around. I mean, I know I can't change this, b/c it's just the way my hair is, but it's an issue of concern. I wish there was something I could do about it

Kiadodie

My main concern is after all the damage I caused to my hair all these years, now that I'm going natural and really taking care of it.....will it be like before(thick) /images/graemlins/confused.gif

henrilou

Oh my god, I obsess over my hair.
worries;
1. breakage
2. breakage
3. reversion
4. breakage.
I can deal with nappy. The thought of my hair breaking off sends me over the edge...

adrienne0914

my only problem for a while has been shedding. i kind of had a scare this past weekend when i washed. i've been too traumatized.. lol.. to talk about it... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

adrienne

Kitkat

Rayne, looks like we're in the same boat! Well, we probably have no choice but to grow out the dry, no-lye. Meanwhile, I pour moisture onto my hair to keep it soft and moisturized. Since I had used no-lyes for years, my hair has a tendency towards dryness, so Wild Growth Oil, ORS Carrot Oil, and Kiehls are absolute musts for me. Keep us posted on your progress!!

Kitkat

Adrienne, your hair is so awesome that whatever problem you're experiencing now is probably just temporary. It will pass, I'm sure. If and when you ever want to share, we're here for you!

S

Silkylocks

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Right now my main problems are dryness, split ends and tangles. I had a relaxer about two and a half years ago on top of damage, and those frizzled ends still show. Anyhoo, jojoba oil and vinegar rinses are a big help for tangly hair.

current length: nearly mid-back
goal: waist
type: 3c, pencil size curls with waves
on underneath layer <font color="green"> </font color>
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

G

My main problem is the frizzies. And then shedding, not just short pieces of hair, but the long pieces.

sweetcocoa

My problem is and always has been trying to get my bangs to grow out. They are always dry and frizzy on the ends. If I could get them to grow out...I'd never complain about my hair again... lol!

caramelbarbie

My hair concerns
<font color="blue"> Styling- since I stoped using heat to dry my hair I'm trying to find an updo that I can feel good about. I'm not crazy about wearing my hair up.......but like caramela posted I hate it when my hair gets caught on my shirt! Its just awful when I see the broken hairs on my back. I hate it /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I guess hating that soooo much makes wearing my hair up the lesser of the 2 evils.

H

HoneyRockette

Adrienne, when you say shedding do you mean excessive hair comes out when you comb or run your fingers through your hair? If so how can you distinguish between shed hair and breakage? I always get a large amount of hair when I finger comb, like several hairs between each finger. Seeing as I do this all day (by habit) it bothers me. I never see a white bulb ever though now that I think about it, maybe I am looking in the wrong place. How can you tell?

adrienne0914

okay, i already shared this privately with one of my buddies so it doesn't sting as much now. lol!

basically, what happened was i washed my hair on saturday. i never have a problem with detangling. so when i was combing my hair out, and i got a HANDFUL, i panicked. i took pics. here is the link:

shedding pics

the only thing i've changed in my regime recently is not combing every day before i put my hair back into the bun. so i'm hoping that this is the cumulative hair loss for the week. i've started combing daily again so i can compare the hair the next time i wash.

if you get a chance, feel free to also check out my other albums... i finally finished them! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Valerie

At the moment, I would say dryness at the ends and keeping up with the rinsing treatments. I have to buy JF Lazartique pre-conditioner, which is very thick and rich.

sweetcocoa

Adrienne, I would say it's 'cumulative' hair shedding....when I don't comb my hair for several days I get the same thing.

Tea

My main hair concerns are dryness and split ends. I haven't yet discovered the best way for infusing moisture into the strands of my hair. I'm still working out it though.

Elyse

Excessive Shedding

<font color="blue">
Adrienne,

I LOVED your hair album. Very well done.

About your shedding, I posted on the salon experiences board about a product I used years ago after a bad relaxer/color experience caused me excessive shedding. It is called The Fixer and is sold at Sally's. It really works well. It even worked for a relative of mine who was losing her hair due to her prescription medications. The kit has 6 treatments and you apply it after you wash your hair. It stopped my shedding cold after about 2 treatments. No hairs coming out even when I used my fine toothed comb.</font color>

tc_333

Can I count a dry itchy scalp as a hair problem???

1. Dry, itchy scalp!!!!
2. Dry ends
3. Dry roots

Using the Nexxus Humectress as a leave in at my nape and sides and then using the Wild Growth oil does seem to help some.

fancypants007

Adrienne your hair is beautiful. It probably was the natural process of shedding hair that you accumulated. I remember reading something on one of the boards about not combing the hair so much. I use to comb my hair very infrequently, until I started the Crown and Glory method. Robin advises to comb your hair everyday. She states that if you don't the oils will just sit on your hair and it will cause breakage. I personally like combing/paddle brushing my hair every day. I also remember Wanakee made a statement (I think it was in her free booklet) that as african americans we will have breakage, but we just need to get in control of the breakage so that the breakage does not get out-of-hand and become severe. So I understand your alarm, I would have reacted the same way. Your hair is naturally shedding which is normal. You take good care of your hair, and it shows. Stay encouraged.

adrienne0914

whew! thanks for checking out those pics and for the reassurance, yall!! you know i was hoping the experts would agree with my analysis. /images/graemlins/grin.gif i'll comb every day this week then post another pic just to be sure. lol!

adrienne

nita4

My three main concerns are:

1. Dryness
2. Styling without using heat, going to attempt a roller set /images/graemlins/frown.gif
3. Growing out this no-lye hair

Kitkat and Rayne: I have the same l problem. Underprocessed, no lye hair. I waited 10 weeks and had a corrective relaxer touch up done with a lye relaxer - mild. The no-lye hair won't change - period. But the humectress with heat for 20 min. is working to get the dryness out. After five uses I noticed a big difference.
I honestly didn't think it would work, but it did. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Adrienne: I have that same problem in the winter months., especially December. I thought it was just a natural process. I lose handfuls of hair. It is scary. I just condition, condition, condition, wear my hair up and leave it alone until it passes. If you come up with something better, let me know.

Kitkat

Rayne and Nita, maybe we should start another site: the Underprocessed Hair Care Forum! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Nita, I'm glad that Humectress works for you. I used it a few times using heat and didn't really like it. I've turned to other conditioners to help combat dryness, such as Motions (dang, forgot the full name, and I just used it last night!) and Paul Mitchell Super Charged Moisturizer. My oils and cremes help a lot, too!!

Nita, do you use protein conditioners? If so, which one(s) and how often?

Tracy

Mine are:

1. Wearing the hair up. I have to do this. I just have to see how much of a difference it makes but I just can't do it. It's not just the cuteness thing either (although I look very stupid with my hair back) it also that I hate the way having my hair restricted like that FEELS. I get headaches and scalp itches more and protective styling for me is like an ongoing nightmare. The bane of my existence.
2. Really making heat a rarity. I'm getting there - Caramela's giant pin curl trick really worked for me (thanks girl) but I know I have the tendency to backslide. Actually come to think of it I haven't used direct (curling iron) heat for about 2 weeks straight now. Hmmm...whatever - I might have this licked but we'll see.
3. Finding a relaxer that works and sticking to it. I don't mind changing products but changing realxers so often makes me really nervous. I haven't had any disasters yet but I haven't used the same relaxer more than once for about a years worth of touch ups now. I'm BEGGING for an oopsey. And I know it. Hoepfully Elucence Gentle will be a keeper.
4. My trimming fixation. Gotta get over it.
5. This wall length. The longest my hair has been since I started growing it is right where it is now. And right when it gets here something always happens. Gotta break that pattern.

I think that's all....

nita4

Kitkat: Funny!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif That underprocessed hair is no joke. I had the hardest time with it. I had to keep it pinned up all summer. I'm glad the Humectress worked to because it was really becoming a downer trying to find something that worked. The only protein conditioner I'm using is the Keraphix once a month. That works well for me to. Anything else, dries my hair out like straw. I'm actually following Shamboosie's method - until I at least get rid of this no-lye hair - so far so good. I'll give an update in 6 months.