2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddison

natural for good
@Cattypus1

Your hair is gorgeous! I also have thin ends but mostly in the back and like you, I want to slowly trim them away and hold on to my length for now. I don't wear my hair down so what's the point in chopping inches of completely healthy ends off.

KiWiStyle , I totally agree. When I start to actually wear my hair down, then evenness will matter. Until then, healty is all I care about, and if they're uneven - so what. My buns don't care!!:lachen:

baddison

natural for good
Ladies I'm thinking of stretching until December (6 months). I found that my nape and hairline are struggling and I want to baby it. I would section those areas off but I feel like my hair stylist would think I was crazy to only let her relax parts of my head. What do you guys think?

lovebug10, will this be your first stretch for so long, or are you an "experienced" stretcher. :grin: As long as you keep those troubled areas moist during your extended stretch, then you should really reap some good benefits.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
baddison said:
Cattypus1 : Very nice. Did you trim those ends yourself??? Awesome job. Wish I had such skill!! :yep:

Thanks and Absolutely not!!! That hem line would be some kind of jacked-up!!!LOL. I'm a self-relaxer because I don't trust anybody and I hate to wait. There are a couple of stylist I trust to trim my ends and since they will do it dry it takes at most 10 to 15 minutes and I'm out. They always have time to squeeze me in.

Last edited:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
KiWiStyle said:
I am having a lot of fun with my new length and banana clips!!! I can't wait to be APL and beyond. I am going to clown! Here is todays braidout into a bun.

Natural color and texture shot from braidout.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I'm loving the braid out bun...too cute.

lovebug10

baddison well I don't ever recall intentionally stretching that long. If I did it was because I was too busy to get a touch up... But I plant on keeping my NG moist with my Darcy's Botanicals Transitioning Creme. I just got it today and my NG feels like butter. I think that as long as I'm consistent with the moisturizing then I should be okay

irisak

Jobwright and KaramelDiva1978
I think I might relax around 8/1. I'm moving out of state next month and won't really have time to need with my hair. I'll still be your buddies though. Lol

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Mona123

I just got a relaxer over the weekend and my hair feels sooo good after weeks of dryness! I asked my stylist about why my hair may be so dry and she pointed to air drying as a huge contributor. She sees air drying as basically "training" the hair to behave like its natural - since it frizzes up as it dries. She's more of an advocate blowdrying straight followed by a flat iron.

Anyone else prescribe to this train of thought? And has anyone else noticed excessive dryness that may be from airdrying?

Sent from my Android using LHCF

Lilmama1011

Mona123 said:
I just got a relaxer over the weekend and my hair feels sooo good after weeks of dryness! I asked my stylist about why my hair may be so dry and she pointed to air drying as a huge contributor. She sees air drying as basically "training" the hair to behave like its natural - since it frizzes up as it dries. She's more of an advocate blowdrying straight followed by a flat iron.

Anyone else prescribe to this train of thought? And has anyone else noticed excessive dryness that may be from airdrying?

I roller set and air dry, but if I straight air my hair it will frizz, but it's some ladies on YouTube that claim they trained their hair to air dry frizz free but when I rollerset and airdrop it comes out just as good as sitting under the dryer, I moisturize Rey well and it and seal and put ecostyler gel for hold so that could be taming my frizzies

Mona123

Lilmama1011 said:
I roller set and air dry, but if I straight air my hair it will frizz, but it's some ladies on YouTube that claim they trained their hair to air dry frizz free but when I rollerset and airdrop it comes out just as good as sitting under the dryer, I moisturize Rey well and it and seal and put ecostyler gel for hold so that could be taming my frizzies

That makes sense that airdrying with rollers would work better - mentioned that if I must airdry either use rollers or wrap it. Both of those help it dry straight.

Thanks for sharing. I feel like everyone is hardcore airdry so I tried to do the same. But its definitely not for everybody.

Lilmama1011

Mona123 said:
That makes sense that airdrying with rollers would work better - mentioned that if I must airdry either use rollers or wrap it. Both of those help it dry straight.

Thanks for sharing. I feel like everyone is hardcore airdry so I tried to do the same. But its definitely not for everybody.

I tried hair drying an wrapping and it was a freaking mess biiiiiiig time! It was so frizzy and it just look like I was in a hurricane

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Cattypus1 said:
KiWiStyle how was the Avocado mask? I'm dying to try it for my first post touch-up conditioning session.

Cattypus1

I loved the Avocado Mask!! My hair felt very strong and soft afterwards...balanced. I left it on for a few hours. I think I might try Banana Pudding Protein Mask for my pre-relaxer treatment.

Lilmama1011

Lilmama1011 said:
I tried hair drying an wrapping and it was a freaking mess biiiiiiig time! It was so frizzy and it just look like I was in a hurricane

If I want to wear it straightish with no frizziness I have to rollerset and wrap and I say straightish because it won't necessarily be straight it will of course have a bend to it

mschristine

I know I said would switch to all Giovanni products but I have a little bit of ORS Replenishing Conditioner left and I can't just have a bunch of almost done bottles under my sink. I think I'll be done with it in about two washes so after it s all gone, I'll get the Giovanni

Raspberry

Mona123 Hmm.. good question, I do notice that my hair requires a lot more moisture to feel right after air drying. What products do you use while airdrying? Maybe it makes sense to use heavier butters to smooth the cuticle..

Raspberry

Great relaxer results Cattypus1!

KiWiStyle I like how you've been experimenting with styles, very cute :)

xu93texas I'd have a hard time not eating that banana protein mask lol. I was skimming through the hair recipes in Hair Rehab last night... I might try one, maybe. I'm usually not motivated to do all that mixin for hair treatments. The only thing I'm going to do more often is pre-pooing with coconut oil since the practice proven to prevent protein loss.

baddison Still hanging in there?

=====

I'm in week 3 now, things are going well. Since my roots are unusually thick due to being underprocessed last time, I'm going to start cowashing exclusively from the rest of the stretch. I have a lot of good products now and want to see if co-washing, plus moisturizing my NG with heavier butters makes a big difference.

Mona123

@Mona123 Hmm.. good question, I do notice that my hair requires a lot more moisture to feel right after air drying. What products do you use while airdrying? Maybe it makes sense to use heavier butters to smooth the cuticle..

RASberry I have been using Mizani Rose H20, which is pretty darn buttery. I also may use Keracare Conditioning Creme after, which is a little heavier and seems to do a better job of "sealing" (I'm still struggling with the concept of "sealing" and what this means so bear with me if I have it all wrong!)

But even after using these products, my hair just seems to reject all moisture. The only time it feels good is if I put something watery on my hair, like S-Curl or a light moisturizer - and I suspect my hair only feels good in these cases because its slightly damp. :nono: So I'm gonna try to blow dry thing over the course of the next few months and I'll post an update with how that goes.

Have you noticed better success with any particularly products?

irisak

@Jobwright and @KaramelDiva1978
I think I might relax around 8/1. I'm moving out of state next month and won't really have time to need with my hair. I'll still be your buddies though. Lol

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Okay I've decided after much dithering. 8/9 is my last day for this job, after that I'm relocating from MI to Bmore. So on 08/10 I'm going to relax so that my hair will laid, fresh and interview ready. That will be about 10 weeks for me. If you guys want to relax when I do (and I know KaramelDiva1978 does lol) then I say let's do it. Either way after this TU I will stretch for the long haul with you guys so I can get my retention on!

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Raspberry

Thank you! I'm really trying, longer hair equals more style choices.

You mentioned the hair masks. Trust me, they are a breeze to throw in a bowl and mix together. It's almost effortless. I think at least one of the masks require a mixer, even still, it's easy breezy!! You should definitely try it!

xu93texas

I'm going to also do the Banana Pudding Protein Mask for my pre-relaxer treatment as well because it provides a moderate to high level of protein. I'm thinking of using Joico K-Pak reconstruct conditioner for my conditioner of choice since it is a light protein. I wonder why she says use a conditioner with coconut scent?? Did you schedule your appointment yet??

Last edited:

Kindheart

Mona123 said:
RASberry I have been using Mizani Rose H20, which is pretty darn buttery. I also may use Keracare Conditioning Creme after, which is a little heavier and seems to do a better job of "sealing" (I'm still struggling with the concept of "sealing" and what this means so bear with me if I have it all wrong!)

But even after using these products, my hair just seems to reject all moisture. The only time it feels good is if I put something watery on my hair, like S-Curl or a light moisturizer - and I suspect my hair only feels good in these cases because its slightly damp. :nono: So I'm gonna try to blow dry thing over the course of the next few months and I'll post an update with how that goes.

Have you noticed better success with any particularly products?

Both Mizani H2o Rose and Keracare Oil moisturizer contain mineral oil which will coat your hair preventing moisture to leave AND enter your hair shaft . i would not reccomend heat as it can cause irreversible damage to the hair shaft (heat damage) ,rollersetting with large rollers can be a good alternative to a achieve a straight-ish look .

KaramelDiva1978

irisak said:
Okay I've decided after much dithering. 8/9 is my last day for this job, after that I'm relocating from MI to Bmore. So on 08/10 I'm going to relax so that my hair will laid, fresh and interview ready. That will be about 10 weeks for me. If you guys want to relax when I do (and I know KaramelDiva1978 does lol) then I say let's do it. Either way after this TU I will stretch for the long haul with you guys so I can get my retention on!

Lol you know I am with you irisak!!! Leanin towards 8/4 because I am going out of town. Wish u much success on your move!!

Jobwright

Okay I've decided after much dithering. 8/9 is my last day for this job, after that I'm relocating from MI to Bmore. So on 08/10 I'm going to relax so that my hair will laid, fresh and interview ready. That will be about 10 weeks for me. If you guys want to relax when I do (and I know KaramelDiva1978 does lol) then I say let's do it. Either way after this TU I will stretch for the long haul with you guys so I can get my retention on![/QUOTE]

I completely feel you on the job thing. When it's over, it's over. Time to move on. I think you will live Bmore. I have some awesome memories there. Good luck! Anywhoo, 8/10 is good for me. I just clarified and doing a protein treatment now. Trying to stay ahead of trouble, know what I mean...

Jobwright

Oops! Just counted weeks. That's 2 weeks from now Kareldiva1978 irisak. I may need to wait a little longer. Let's see how this mane does after this 2 step I am doing now.

baddison

natural for good
Great relaxer results @Cattypus1!

@KiWiStyle I like how you've been experimenting with styles, very cute :)

@xu93texas I'd have a hard time not eating that banana protein mask lol. I was skimming through the hair recipes in Hair Rehab last night... I might try one, maybe. I'm usually not motivated to do all that mixin for hair treatments. The only thing I'm going to do more often is pre-pooing with coconut oil since the practice proven to prevent protein loss.

@baddison Still hanging in there?

=====

I'm in week 3 now, things are going well. Since my roots are unusually thick due to being underprocessed last time, I'm going to start cowashing exclusively from the rest of the stretch. I have a lot of good products now and want to see if co-washing, plus moisturizing my NG with heavier butters makes a big difference.

Raspberry - Yeahhhh.....I'm it it for the long haul. I know Aug 19th is just around that proverbial corner, so imma just chill for a while. I'm getting excited about this relaxer because I'm gonna try a different method this time instead of my usually half-and-half method. If I can successfully relax the entire head at once, with great results, then it will definitely be my new method going forward. I'm going to pre-part each of my 4 sections into the smaller relaxer sections. THen all I have to do is apply relaxer creme to both top and bottom of the smaller bits. This should make application a breeze. Looking forward to this relaxer session!!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Mona123 Raspberry - air drying leads to coarser hair that requires far more moisture. There are times when I cannot seem to get my hair moisturized when air dryng no matter the product or techniques used. My hair performs better when using heat (roller setting).

Mona, I used Mizani H20 without issues. When actively using it, I use it throughout the week randomly vs. as a wash day LI. I always moisturize first before using H20.

Jobwright

I clarified today for the first time ever using As I Am Curl Clarity. My hair felt very hard after so I immediately used my Wen Almond. I actually felt the tingle on my scalp so the clarifying did work! Then did my Aphogee 2 step. Deep conditioned with a plastic cap under the dryer for 30 mins with As I Am Intense Hydrating conditioner. Rinsed and sealed with coconut oil, castor on my edges. Air drying now so I can bun before I go out tonight. I hope all this will help stop the breakage so I can make it another 6 weeks to relax. If not, I will relax the first of August. Anyone have a suggestion for a leave in? I have not found one I like yet. Also any other suggestions to help me in my journey would help! Thanks Ladies! BTW, I take biotin and a multiple hat vitamin, msm and garlic pills daily.

Raspberry

Mona123 You could try layering a heavy butter on top of your watery moisturizer. I get good results that way.

divachyk Right now I love tension blow drying... even when I do it with only the cool shot my results are still way more consistent than air drying. I still have to make sure to moisturize very well afterwards since the force of the air is drying by default. My best results with air drying have been when I tshirt dried to 70% first and then hand smoothed the hair in sections with product until it was fully dry.

Raspberry - Yeahhhh.....I'm it it for the long haul. I know Aug 19th is just around that proverbial corner, so imma just chill for a while. I'm getting excited about this relaxer because I'm gonna try a different method this time instead of my usually half-and-half method. If I can successfully relax the entire head at once, with great results, then it will definitely be my new method going forward. I'm going to pre-part each of my 4 sections into the smaller relaxer sections. THen all I have to do is apply relaxer creme to both top and bottom of the smaller bits. This should make application a breeze. Looking forward to this relaxer session!!

baddison Do you use a sprush? Once I saw this on Hairlicious it made me feel like maybe I could self-relax if I do small sections. Using thisthing is supposed to make it much easier to avoid overlapping. There are a variety of sizes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.