Scalp problems & thinning hair

rosebud

OK. I have decided to get out of lurk mode and ask my question. Does anyone know what causes itchy scalp and what is the cure & prevention?

LondonDiva

Hello rosebud

Welcome to the board.

You may want to go more in depth into your regimen and the types of products you use.

Is your hair relaxed/natural?
Is your hair coloured?
Do you use heat on your hair?
What products do you use on your scalp?
What kinds of shampoos and conditioners do you use?
Do you live in a hard/soft water area?

These answers to these types of question may be able to determine the severity of your scalp condition.

Not saying that we are scalp experts (cause we aren't) but if it's a real severe scalp problem it may be a good idea to visit a dermatologist or trichologist.

rosebud

Londondiva,
Thanks so much for responding! I am so excited!! Bless your heart!!
Background:
I have black, coarse, relaxed hair that is about 1 to 2 inches pass my shoulder. It used to be very thick & beautiful, but after a relaxer mishap ( by a hair dresser )several years ago where I lost all of my hair ( like BALD ) in a large portion of my head, it is now thin and sheds & breaks a lot and have problem scalp. To make matters worse, I suffered a lot of hair loss each time I had my kids and since I was relaxing my hair myself ( last year... which I didn't even do regularly )and also since braids earlier this year messed it up.I have been recently trying to pay more attention to my hair care as it has been severely neglected over the last several years. I have learned a lot from this hair care board. You all are helping a lot of people whether you know it or not. OK, I know I am rambling on.

I have recently visited a dermatologist who prescribed Nizoral Shampoo and another topical scalp medicine ( some kind of cortizone liquid). I am washing every other day with roller set & doobie (dry wrap ), but sometimes I get lazy and go 2 days withhout washing.The itching & dandruff returns if I go more than 2 day without washing. I don't want to have to put these prescription medicine on my head for the rest of my life as they have their side effects. So, I am wondering if there is something that I am doing that triggers my scalp problem or if there is anything nonmedicated that I can use or something that I need to take internally. I don't oil the scalp anymore and this helps because I observed that oiling the scalp gave me scalp boils ( about 2 at a time ).
I alternate between using a moisturizing conditioner and a deep conditioner when I wash.

Shampoo:
Nizoral Prescription
Cream of Nature ( I use this right before I use the Nizoral to save on the Nizoral )

Moisturizing Conditioner:
Motions Moisture Plus
Nexxus Humectress ( I bought this a couple of days ago and I LOVE IT!!)

Deep Conditioner:
Motions CPR
Joico K- PAK Deep Penetrating Reconstructor ( I am just trying this one today for the 1st time as I am still having a lot of breakage )

Leave in Conditioner:
Better Braids
Fermodyl ( recommended by my Dominican Hair Salon & love it )

Relaxer:
Affirm for sensitive scalp

I also use different things like ( that I can remember ):
WGO
Lotta Body setting lotion
ORS Carrot Oil
ORS Shea Butter
Break Thru moisturizer

I do a hot oil treatment maybe once a week using Rosemary oil and and one or more of the following:
Grapefruit seed oil
Jojoba Oil
Almond Oil

Vitamins:
Centrum
Barlean's Flax Seed Oil
MSM powder( once a day )
Ultra Hair ( I bought this today..yes, I went on a shopping spree as I am a mission to grow my hair to the floor!! Ha Ha!

I must say that my hair has been doing much better since I started paying more attention to my hair...My wish is to overcome my scalp problem forever...

Rosebud

beana3

i have a SECTION of hair that also is thin and my scalp gets sore, but i don't get actual sores.
I'm waiting for my dermatologists appointment to find out the true culprit. As far as what i've been doing myself, massaging 1000 IU vit e oil on my problem areas every other night nad it has helped tremendously!!!!( i know you said you dont like things on your scalp, but i would try this) my scalp not longer feels "sore" and my edges are coming in very nicely.
Also from the looks of your extensive description, I would try to lay off the wet sets for a while, maybe only do them 1x per week. there is a lot of manipluation in wet sets at times and if you wash your hair every other day, you may be aggravating your scalp further by parting, fine tooth combing the hairs and all that. are you familiar with the ponytail method?? maybe that's an option.
(im sorry if i sound soo critical, i'm not trying to be at all).
the lottabody setting lotion has a high alcohol content, maybe you can try mottabody ceamy set instead and still get holding power, but lwess harshly. WGO is good. and your other products seem to be helping you. Just stick with it!!!!!!!

Nyambura

surfer girl
Re: Scalp problems & thinning hair (long)

Hi Rosebud, welcome. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am sorry you are going through this. It sounds very uncomfortable. There are a few things I noticed in your detailed routine.

1. I noticed you listed Affirm mild as your relaxer. I have nothing against relaxers. I have relaxed hair myself. So please take this suggestion in the spirit in which it was intended: maybe you should lay off the relaxer for a while to see if your scalp irritation decreases. Relaxers contain such harsh, caustic chemicals, that repeated touch-up applications run the risk of getting on your scalp, which may stand in the way of your scalp healing.

A number of members here are transitioning or have transitioned. Although you may choose to return to relaxing after your scalp heals, their routines may help you deal with the two textures while babying your hair and scalp.

2. I love rosemary essential oil; it's a stimulant. Perhaps the rosemary is aggravating your scalp? Jojoba oil is not an essential oil or a stimulant. It closely resembles sebum, the natural oil produced by our healthy scalps. It can go on the scalp and the hair.

3. Good for you for going to the dermatologist and for following her/his prescription. Another member here, Adrienne, had scalp concerns also. She definitely knows a lot about scalp and hair. By the way, that is her hair, which she grew out from a short cut, on the home page of this forum.

HTH

rosebud

HI beana3,
I haven't ever tried the pony tail method. I think I've seen it somewhere on this site before. Doesn't the hair take a long time to dry with that method? I will run a search and give it a try. Thanks for all of your advice!!

rosebud

rosebud

Re: Scalp problems & thinning hair (long)

Nyambura,
Thanks for the response. You have some good ideas. I tried going without relaxer last year ( actually I did it twice last year ) and still had the problem.. Maybe sometime in the future I will try that again .. I will keep that in mind.
rosebud

adrienne0914

wow, rosebud!! nyambura is exactly right... your scalp sure sounds alot like mine. the only thing i've never gotten is the boils. everything else i can identify with. i also use prescription-strength Nizoral. it works really well with the Creme of Nature. i also did it that way to save money. now i do it that way with the KeraCare Detangling shampoo. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

what did the doctor tell you was the specific diagnosis of your scalp problem? i've had mine for over 20 years. i've heard everything from allergies, fungus, seborrhea, psoriasis, contact dermatitis to "nervous scalp." that last one still cracks me up. in fact, my scalp is shivering and shaking as i type this...

anyway, i definitely think that your scalp can benefit from the use of oils. in addition to rosemary, i also added lavender, meadowfoam and palmarosa essential oils to a carrier oil (usually jojoba). i started doing this while i had the braids, but i kept doing it after i took them down. i also added naiouli EO for hot oil treatments. it was a little smelly so i couldn't leave it on.

i don't know that the relaxer is the culprit. i don't think the doctors could tell you either. it could really be anything. when mine started, i was completely natural. and i've never noticed that it was worse after a retouch. in fact, the chemical would actually clear all the huge flakes off.

what was the name of the other prescription that the doctor gave you? i'm also using Derma-Smooth. it's working really well. i left it on overnight one night last week, and my scalp is clear right now. i'm gonna start doing that once a week to get rid of it.

i really think that instead of styling your hair all the time, you should wear it in a bun or some other low- or non-manipulation style. all that washing and tugging and wrapping is taking its toll, i'm sure. you should just save that for every now and then at least until you can get your scalp under control and can start washing once a week. that's how often i wash now. it used to be twice a week when my scalp was at its worst. poor thing... every other day??? dang...

let me know what that other prescription is. is it something like Clobetasol Propionate? if so, that's like a steroid. with extended use, the body gets used to it. eventually steroids just stop working. i have some, but i only use it occasionally on my scalp. believe it or not, i also have this crap in and behind my ears. so i usually just use it there. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

oh yeah, what were you using to oil your scalp?

i hope you can get it under control.

adrienne

rosebud

Hi Adrienne!
Good to hear from an expert such as youself! Thanks for responding! I love your hair picturess and your explanation of using a drawstring ponytail ( where can I get those?? is it human hair?).

To answer your question, the dermatologist said it was sebhorreic dermatitis ( spelling??). In the past other dermatologists have told me that the culprit was stress ( which I have a lot of ), nerves in the scalp, or maybe allergy to certain products ( they couldn't tell me what though). The other prescription that I am using is called Fluocinonide ( spelling ). It is a clear liquid in a small Visine looking bottle. I have to use this one twice a day. I think that one is for inflamed scalp.

In the past I have used derma smoothe also. That made my scalp itch so badly that I stopped using it. Maybe I shouldnt have done that. I have another dermatologist follow up appointment in Nov and I will have to see what he says. He had told me that these medications will cause my hair to become thick again, howevr I have still to see that happen..

In the past I have used Sulfur8 on my scalp or jojoba oil. I think anything with oil in general makes my scalp itch and form a few boils a few days later. Maybe it is because oil blocks the pores or maybe it is all in my head. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif Presently, I am not using any oils on the scalp ( only for hot oil treatments though ) but I am so tempted to try it again. Maybe Vit e or one of the ones that you use. I never heard of meadowfoam or palmarosa. Where do I get those from? What are the made of, I mean are they a mixture of other natural oils? Also naiouli. Is that good for problem scalp?

I tried the ponytail method of drying tonight and my hair is still wet. Do you know whether folks sleep with it when wet? I definitely will cut back on the rollersets to once a week or so.

Even with your scalp problems you hair is so beautiful. I am extremely inspired by that. There is still hope for me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

rosebud

Mahalialee4

Have you tried using the Indian Neem powder for your itching scalp?hth or have you tried tea tree oil in your shampoo? Bonjour.

rosebud

No, I haven't tried the Indian Neem powder. Where is that sold? At the Health food store? I have tried tea tre oil in my shampoo...didn't help though. I will try to stop thinking so much about it and maybe that might help. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Thanks for your response .

rosebud

Mahalialee4

Indian spice store or market stores. You can buy the Neem Powder and apply it directly (mixed with water of course or use it in your shampoo). It is used to treat Psoriasis and all kinds of fungul and skin problems. Hope this helps.

adrienne0914

rosebud, girrrrrrl it sounds like we went to the same doctors!!! i can't believe that someone else got that nervous scalp crap. my scalp may be alot of things, but nervous it ain't. lol! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

anyway, the Fluocinonide and Derma-Smoothe are both steriod products but delivered in different bases. the Derma-Smoothe has a peanut oil base, while i'm not sure what the other one is in. it works pretty good, but the Derma-Smoothe left on overnight and washed in the morning has worked fastest for me.

girl, i'm really concerned about those boils on your scalp. i don't think the lighter oils clog the pores. i just don't think they agree with your scalp, for whatever reason. have you ever shown your doctor the boils? if so, what was their comment?

the other oils that i mentioned are all essential oils that were recommended to me by someone who suffered from eczema. i add them to a carrier oil base. they do work well on a problem scalp. however, before you try any of them, i would definitely discuss trying the Derma-Smoothe again with your doctor. when you used it before, did you leave it on overnight and rinse or use all the time? if all the time, how often did you wash?

also, i can't remember whether you said you've tried Nizoral prescription-strength shampoo or not. have you? that has also worked well for me, especially with the Derma-Smoothe.

you can get the drawstring ponytail from a beauty supply or even online. this site has some really nice ones for reasonably prices (click on hair pieces):

Especially Yours

with my ponytail, my hair is almost always damp, especially because of the curl activator. yesterday i used leave-ins instead. it was still damp but not as much. i've never had a problem because of the dampness, but the weather here is pretty mild.

there is ALWAYS hope for you. don't give up! heck, it only took me 20 years to get it under control... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif i hope i can help you save some time. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

holla!

adrienne

rosebud

Adrienne0914,
I am happy to report that my scalp is doing a lot better than before!! Maybe I just needed to be a bit more patient with the prescription medications..Nizoral & fluocinonide.I have been using then for about 6weeks now.( I don't think it is 100% back to normal though..It is still sensitive in some areas )

I never seem to have the scalp boil/pimples when I visit the dermatologist, but I have described it to them and was told that it is a "scalp condition" or Sebhoreic dermatitis.
When your scalp "flares up", how long does it take to get it back under control when using the derma smooth? When I used it in the past I think I wet my scalp first then applied and left overnight and washed out the following night. I never left it in longer that that because I didn't realise that you could because I dont remember the instructions saying it can be done..it's been a while though. I used derma smooth briefly about 7 or 8 years ago when I first began having scalp problems.

Also, thanks for the link for hair pieces. I am going to consider getting some...
rosebud

adrienne0914

rosebud, i'm glad to hear that your scalp is getting better. that's great news.

girl, to be honest, i'm STILL trying to get mine completely under control. it's almost there, but i have a couple of tiny spots that just won't quit. it actually came back strong in july... so that's almost four months. i'm very close to it being completely gone, which is my goal.

on the Derma-Smooth instructions, it says to leave on overnight and rinse out in the morning. my dermatologist told me i could leave it on the braids. at the time, i was trying to avoid having to take them down after only a couple of weeks. that really pretty good.

so you see how forgetful i am right, you did already say you were using the Nizoral, right? /images/graemlins/blush.gif i love that shampoo so much, i wrote to the company when i first started using it. that was the first time since i was about 17 that my scalp was completely clear!! i feel like i need to stop and start using it to shock my system or something...

anyway, i'm rambling... i'm glad your scalp is getting better! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Peacesteem

I was reading the post on this site and one thing comes across is the concern and respect that the
members have for each other.I was moved by the post about scalp problems, I too have this problem
tingling itchy scalp. I thought that I was losing my mind, I never had any problems with my scalp until
I started to have alot of stressful experiences then bam! I had this problem
and nothing seemed to help.
I was diaganosed by a dermatologist as having sebboric dermatitis (I am sure I misspelled a couple of
words)
Bottom line after trying everything (and I do mean everything) I discovered apple cider vinegar.
I use some in a spray bottle when I get a flare up and it works wonders.
The smell goes away in a couple of hours or you can use it as rinse.
From what I understand Sebborra is caused by oily scalp and yeast.
Every one has yeast and oil in thier skin but when one gets out of control so does the other.
Stress and hormones improper diet can cause over production of oil, when that happens the yeast
begins to thrive.
this is what causes the ithy feeling and flakes. This is not a pleasant thing to go through I would
not wish it on anyone. The apple cider has worked wonders some people choose to use half water
half vinegar. I have to watch my sugar intake and not get stressed out. Praying also does a great deal. I used to get very angry about this problem just when I found out how to grow hair I was thrown this curve ball. I now look at it as my body letting me know that something is out of balance and that I need to correct it.
Well, I enjoy this site and plan to visit quite often. My hair is just past my shoulder-goal is bra-strap and then longer! Hair is 4b kinky, fluffy and delicate. I wear it natural and have really developed a feel for my hair. Now that I have developed an understanding and love for my hair I am concentrating on obtaining some length.
Peace and Blessings to all! <font color="red"> </font color> <font color="blue"> </font color>

pebbles

Hi Peacesteam,

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gifYou are right about there being a lot of concern and respect between members on this board. It's one of the things that makes this forum the best. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm glad that you were able to find a solution for your scalp problem, and I absolutely love the fact that you find prayer to be a great source of help to you! That's great. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peacesteem

Hi Rosebud,

I could really understand your problem having been there myself. I did alot of reasearch on seborric dermatities (more
than I would have liked to). I guess everything is for a reason.
First, what causes the darn thing in the first place and what is it? Well, Seborric dermatites is when the scalp produces too
much oil. Everyone has a certain level of yeast on our skin.
However, with the over production of oil the yeast begins to get
out of whack causing those greasy flakes and such. The cause of the over production of oil can be hormonal or stress related. The yeast can be caused by antibotic usage and eating alot of sugar. I too have used Nizarol. But get this after
awhile the scalp or yeast gets used to it and it becomes less affective. So then I would alternate between Nizarol and Head and shoulders. Head and shoulders was whipping the condition until once again the scalp got used to both. To end this long tale I end on a happy note. I read on a couple of sites that apple cider vinegar could stop thining hair and yeast infections on the scalp. I was willing to try anything. At first it burned (from me scratching and the vinegar is also an anticeptic). The apple cider vinegar cleared up the boils and the itching and my hair started to grow back. I got the boils because I had put some greasy ointment on it. I thought the hair in this area would never grow back. I use the apple cider vinegar in several ways spray it on undiluted or diluted. on a cotton ball or pour it on after a no poo leave it on for a couple of minutes and then rinse. The best part of all is that there is no chemicals to worry about. Also, the normal dandruff that people normally get is also a thing of the past. I know that this was a long post, but I felt compelled to relay this info. Whether you choose to use it or not I just wanted you to know that I know what it is like and this condition is no joke. But what ever you do pray relax and try not to get stressed this is the bodies way of saying something is out of balance.

Peace and Blessings
Peacesteem

LondonDiva

Peachesteem

Welcome to the board.

Your advice came just in the nick of time. Just last night I was talking to my BF's sister and she complained about the condition of her scalp and asked me do i know how it can be overcome. For the meantime the ACV seems like something she could try before going to a dermatoligist. I told her that I think the flky scalp and itching causing it to be sore has a lot to do with the fact she washes her hair every 2-3 months.

rosebud

Peacesteem!Oh my goodness!! I am so glad to find someone who can relate to the boils!! Your explanation makes so much sense ( maybe you should be in the medical field if you aren't already! /images/graemlins/smile.gif). I always suspected that it was the application of grease/oils to the scalp that caused them but no one could ever confirm my suspicion. I don't get those boils regularly anymore because I wash my hair at least twice a week instead of once a week. Also, I never make any oils touch my scalp and I make sure I avoid conditioner getting on my scalp, or if it gets on my scalp, I rinse out thouroughly. Also, I am wondering if my present usage of a topical scalp solution prescribed by the dermatologist is preventing their reoccurrence...I am not sure. After I have completed this scalp medicine, if the scalp boils reoccur, I will definitely try some ACV.One more thing, like you described, I also realized that Nizoral is becomming ineffective with continued use and I have found that a shampoo called Selenium Blue is perfect. (got from health food store ). Actually, my dermatologist recently told me that I don't have to continue using nizoral, but I could use any dandruff shampoo like head &amp; shoulders. My hair is still thin in certain areas on the scalp, however I am hoping that with time, my hair thickness will return...

Thanks and welcome to the board!!!
Rosebud.