WHY IS BROWN GEL THE ENEMY?

LivingDoll

Okay, so I keep reading threads about the horrors of brown gel. My hair is currently growing out and isn't quite long enough to roller set and brown gel is the only thing that will tame my wet curly hair. It doesn't contain any harsh ingredients but does have a lot of protein...why do people hate it so much?

Any other alternatives out there for me?

sunshinelady

Nothing is wrong with brown gel when used properly. It is a symbol of many of the mistakes we made with our hair. Using gel and then burning our hair with hot curling irons.

And, a lot of the time, when you see posts about brown gel, it is a euphemism for some drama that happened with a member here who made brown gel sound like a cure-all.

Last edited:

Traycee

It is too much protein for me....I recently starting using 100% Aloe Vera Gel for my edges lately and I love it!!!

Mortons

using it lightly is probably ok, but if you have dry hair and use it you will probably end up with breakage from too much protein.

Duchesse

My mom swears by brown gel, and her hair has always been healthy.

It probably shouldn't be used everyday or seen as a cure all, but I don't think its the witches brew.

Caramela

I don't know that it's a problem, other than potentially making hair too brittle from too much protien. I never liked it though. I don't like products that leave my hair hard.

glamazon386

Nothing is wrong with brown gel when used properly. It is a symbol of many of the mistakes we made with our hair. Using gel and then burning our hair with hot curling irons.

And, a lot of the time, when you see posts about brown gel, it is a euphemism for some drama that happened with a member here who made brown gel sound like a cure-all.

I agree. That and people would try to comb their hair with it in there after it dried. Hair breaking all over the place. :nono: I switched to the clear version when I was relaxed just because I hated the residue from the brown gel under my nails and on my collars. I still use it sometimes (the clear protein gel) though if I'm out of fantasia gel.

Last edited:

LivingDoll

I agree. That and people would try to comb their hair with it in there after it dried. Hair breaking all over the place. :nono: I switched to the clear version when I was relaxed just because I hated the residue from the brown gel under my nails and on my collars. I still use it sometimes though if I'm out of fantasia gel.

That's probably the only thing that I hate about brown gel. I always thought that the clear gel would flake...if it doesn't flake, I'll try it.

AsTheCurlzTurns

I agree. That and people would try to comb their hair with it in there after it dried. Hair breaking all over the place. :nono: I switched to the clear version when I was relaxed just because I hated the residue from the brown gel under my nails and on my collars. I still use it sometimes (the clear protein gel) though if I'm out of fantasia gel.
That happens to me with the Ampro brown gel. But Ecostyler doesn't do this. But I just LOVE my Fantasia IC gel though.

Lady Esquire

Sunshinelady just described ME. I was so addicted to it, I use to carry a small jar in my purse. I know, I know...shame. :nono: Also, I remember it flaking brown goo something fierce. Not a good look.

Since dropping my habit, I usually use water, moisturizer, oil, and the scarf method, which is a much healthier regimen for my edges anyway. I brought some Aloe Vera gel today, looking for alternatives for my bushy new growth, and I am hoping this is a better replacement.

Kimberly

I've been using a little brown gel to slick my hair back when I wash and tie it down. I've not had any flaking, no drying my hair out, no hardness, even. I only use a dab on wet hair and only across the top and sides to keep my hair from sticking out....and I have naturally very dry hair.

That pink clear gel may be an alternative for you. My daughter uses it but all my hair does is laugh at that stuff.

PinkPeony

I sometimes use brown gel for curldefinition(I haven't relaxed my nape for over a year).
My hair is super frizzy and laughs at anything else including IC Gel which just leaves my hair tacky,sticky and with a white residue:perplexed
If I use brown gel on freshly washed hair with a dab of conditioner I have lasting curldefinition:yep:

Kimberly

I sometimes use brown gel for curldefinition(I haven't relaxed my nape for over a year).
My hair is super frizzy and laughs at anything else including IC Gel which just leaves my hair tacky,sticky and with a white residue:perplexed
If I use brown gel on freshly washed hair with a dab of conditioner I have lasting curldefinition:yep:

I heard this was the *recipe* for Curly Pudding...if I could get some specifics, I'd love to try this on dd...

DreamLife

I always used brown gel the wrong way...I would comb it when it was dry and use it to make those updo styles that I wore with the gel in combination with pump it up spritz. I only wear rollersets now so I don't need gel for anything anymore (I'm relaxed 4b).

phyl73

I had to break out the big guns (brown gel) to get my hair to lay down once I started to transition. I tried other methods, but it didn't work. I don't think it's a problem because I co-wash daily, but I also make sure my hair is VERY moisturized before I apply it and seal with a mixture of castor and coconut oil.

cuteazz1

I always see women with Waaay too much brown gel in their hair and it looks tacky and sloppy.If used properly I don't see anything wrong with it.

PinkPeony

I heard this was the *recipe* for Curly Pudding...if I could get some specifics, I'd love to try this on dd...
I don't doubt it.
Honestly I just put some browngel on my wet nape and run my hair through my fingers a few times till the curls begin to form(I have very little curldefinition since my hair is very fine and frizzy).
I try to use just a little b/c to much makes the curls hard.
After I *shingled* or defined my curls(whatever you want to call it) I do the same thing just with a dab on conditioner to soften and moisturize my curls.
It's really easy and I came to it by accident.
Those curls usually last me a few days:yep:

Kimberly

I don't doubt it.
Honestly I just put some browngel on my wet nape and run my hair through my fingers a few times till the curls begin to form(I have very little curldefinition since my hair is very fine and frizzy).
After I *shingled* or defined my curls(whatever you want to call it) I do the same thing just with a dab on conditioner to soften and moisturize my curls.

Thanks! You make it sound easy. I'll try it on her this weekend.

DarkAngell

I had to break out the big guns (brown gel) to get my hair to lay down once I started to transition. I tried other methods, but it didn't work. I don't think it's a problem because I co-wash daily, but I also make sure my hair is VERY moisturized before I apply it and seal with a mixture of castor and coconut oil.

this whole post is me as well. And also...the brown gel did make my hair hard while i was relaxed but now ( 12 months transitioned) it doesnt get hard at all. But NOTHING else gets my hair to sit down.

Kimberly

this whole post is me as well. And also...the brown gel did make my hair hard while i was relaxed but now ( 12 months transitioned) it doesnt get hard at all. But NOTHING else gets my hair to sit down.

This thread had me thinking...is it possible that they have changed the formula of the brown gel from 20 years ago? I do remember it making my hair hard and the brown flakes years ago...or maybe I've just figured out how to use it where it doesn't do that now?

Seriously, I used brown gel Sunday night, slicked it back, tied it down, and Monday evening I could run my fingers through it. My hair felt soft, silky, and straight...:yep:

chavascandy

I never had a problem using brown gel. I would say the only problem that could stem from using brown gel is trying to comb your hair after the gel has dried and harden up.

But it make my hair stronger and I Love It!!

glamazon386

I don't doubt it.

I was looking on the website and it actually says you can use it for curl definition. I didn't know that until you mentioned it. I used the clear version for my bun last week and it worked fine. It held better/longer. I might start using that for buns and use the fantasia for wash and gos only.

PinkPeony

I just used a little bit for my rollerset with flexirods b/c my left side is frizzier and doesn't hold curls well:nono:
After washing and conditioning I used a tiny amount of brown gel(little less then peasized) for each section,sealed with oil and rolled it up.
My BEST rollerset ever(I'm still a newbie on that) my curls are soft,bouncy,frizzfree and still holding up after alnost 12 hours:yep:

SelfStyled

One of my staples........When I first found the hair boards I abandoned it (sorry brown gel), and really I don't think there is a need. Just use it sparingly. I use a dab alone, or sometimes I mix w/ a dab of humectress and it I get hold like no ather and I see wavies on my edges:yep:.