How long after a relaxer can I get braids?

Tene

I want to get my hair braided but I was planning on waiting about six weeks or less after I get my relaxer. I'm getting my relaxer put in this friday. My sister-in-law was telling me I can get the braids put in one or two weeks after my relaxer. But I thought you are supposed to wait longer or until I get enough new growth. Also I was wondering what kind of hair can I use for this?

My sister-in-law said I'm supposed to use synthetic, but this lady we know of that does braids that we were gonna go to first told us to buy human hair. I paid over $100 for human hair for 4 packs for my mom and I that I might not be able to use. My sister-in-law told me human hair is for micros only.

MAHOGNEY329

Future ESQ. w/nice hair:)
I also want to know about this!!!!!!!
Should you use human or synthetic and how long will this style last, if you actively work out!!!!!
Please Help us figure out the answers to this question:)

Mitre

You should wait at least 6 weeks. I wait 2.5-3 months after a relaxer to put braids. Have you ever seen ladies with no hair line. want to make a wild guess how it got to be like that. Well, one is braiding to soon after a relaxer and pulling the hair to tight. Freshly relax hair is to delicate for braids. As far as i know the type of hair you use does not matter. If you used synthetic make sure it is kankelon hair since cheap nylon synthetic hair will cut your hair up.

Taliah

And I'm Dancing...
depends on the type of braids? i get cronrows 4 weeks post a relaxer to avoid retouching and brakeage. i don't like to comb my hair 4 weeks post, but there's not enough growth to retouch either. if you are considering micros or indiviuals you may want to wait until you have achieved lots of growth, but if you want it like the pic you can get that a 4...great photo!

alliyah4eva203

2-4 weeks depending on the health of your hair. i would use synthetic hair for cornrows always. it's a waste of money using human hair.

Tene

Why is it a waste, is it because you don't keep them in that long? My friend was telling me you only keep them in for 2 weeks.

MsKibibi

Well human hair absorbs more moisture than kankelon does. So its better the use kankelon for cornrows/ individual briads I think b/c it won't strip your hair of it's much needed moisture. I'm using the 'crown and glory technique' and thats the kind of hair she recommends. Which makes sense to me. Good luck

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I just came out of braids (wore them for 8 weeks). I waited 6 weeks after my relaxer. I was told by my braider to wait that long so I would have at least 1/2 inch of new growth. I am braiding my hair again Saturday. I guess I am "unoffically" using the crown and glory method for the summer.

I would recommend using synthetic kankelon for braids too. I find they last longer and remain smoother longer. HTH