Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
^^^^^^^^^This will be my first winter being natural and wash n go is really the only style I'm comfortable with.

krissyhair

[USER=402853]stephanie75miller[/USER];20731665 said:
So how is everyone doing with there wash n goes since it's starting to get cold? It started to get cold here Friday night. I didn't really leave the house this weekend at all. So tomorrow will be my first time really going out in the cold with wet hair. I may diffuse tomorrow.

Here is my advice for doing this in cold weather from earlier in the thread.

Hey, maybe I'll participate...not sure yet. But here is my winter, sub-zero wash-and-go tip: wrap wet hair in a t-shirt until you're ready to style; use your products; put away in a bun, ponytail or clip; wrap in your satin scarf and put on your winter hat. At your destination, take off the hat and scarf, and your hair will be safe from the cold.

krissyhair

I'm not doing wash and goes this week. I'm wearing a curl former set, either down or in a bun on the days it's supposed to rain.

Mz.MoMo5235

So how is everyone doing with there wash n goes since it's starting to get cold? It started to get cold here Friday night. I didn't really leave the house this weekend at all. So tomorrow will be my first time really going out in the cold with wet hair. I may diffuse tomorrow.

I wash my hair in the evening and then use damp hands with product or a spritz to refresh my hair in the am. I can't go out with wet hair in the cold (I'm in AZ mind you) or I'll get sick so fast!

Sent from my SPH-L300 using LHCF please ignore typos

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I used the african pride custard today. I like it so far. I have great definition however it is drying white. I used shea moisture raw shea conditioner as my leave in. I think that is what's causing the whiteness. I'm going to use the african pride custard again tomorrow minus the conditioner. I think I will use one of the oils I have. Either olive oil or coconut oil.

Attachments

• image-2577953166.jpg
    image-2577953166.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 87

Karmi

Im doing really good with my winter wng. I do my hair at night and let it air dry a little. i sleep in a plastics cap every other night. My morning shower help my curls wake up or I'll spritz with a little water and shake. By the time I get out the door my hair is almost dry.

Attempted to do a flat twist out Saturday - FAIL

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Im doing really good with my winter wng. I do my hair at night and let it air dry a little. i sleep in a plastics cap every other night. My morning shower help my curls wake up or I'll spritz with a little water and shake. By the time I get out the door my hair is almost dry. Attempted to do a flat twist out Saturday - FAIL
I have not been successful with twist or braids. I'm thinking once it grows out I'll get better results.

MissMusic

Did this wash n go last night with the last of my Xtreme Wetline Gel and Pure Clean Gel. Next I plan to use my KCCC. I air dry for an hour and then sit under my hooded dryer for an hour. I plan to only do this challenge for Fall, once winter hits it's a no go (I live in Florida, so it's not Cold until Winter).

Attachments

• image-1025369275.jpg
    image-1025369275.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 102

Karmi

I have not been successful with twist or braids. I'm thinking once it grows out I'll get better results.

I think so too. I think my hair being so very very coily and short prevents it form taking the shape of the twists. It just looks like a head full of frizz.

beauti

I washed my hair this morning. Left a little conditioner in, moisturized with Shea Butter blend, and used fruit of the earth aloe vera gel as styler

Attachments

• 2014-11-03 14.36.07.jpg
    2014-11-03 14.36.07.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 119

myfaithrising

I used the african pride custard today. I like it so far. I have great definition however it is drying white. I used shea moisture raw shea conditioner as my leave in. I think that is what's causing the whiteness. I'm going to use the african pride custard again tomorrow minus the conditioner. I think I will use one of the oils I have. Either olive oil or coconut oil.

I like your hair! It always seems to come out nice!

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Thank you so much myfaithrising. Considering I have no idea what I'm doing t of the time. My natural hair seems to react the same to all of the products. I've tried. I was a little self conscious today it dried white. But I was happy with the overall look just not the whiteness.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Ok never ever never ever never ever use african pride custard and shea moisture raw shea conditioner. It was a total failure by the end of the day I had white snow everywhere. I'm embarrassed.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I started this challenge with every intention of doing WNGs as my primary style, I just can't do it, too dang much shrinkage. I BC-ed in the spring so that I wouldn't have to worry about cold weather and wet hair. My hair is now long enough to do two-strand twists and not look crazy with a Twistout. Tried bantu knots...not ready for that just yet...a frizzy mess. I'm going to continue to lurk because I always learn something.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Cattypus1 sorry to hear your not going to continue. I hope you will pop in occasionally with some wash n goes. Good luck on your other hairstyles for the fall/winter.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Cattypus1 sorry to hear your not going to continue. I hope you will pop in occasionally with some wash n goes. Good luck on your other hairstyles for the fall/winter.
Thanks, I have been following (light-weight stalking) your posts and it looks like you've got it down pat. My hair is shorter than yours and it shrinks like crazy...I end up with a teeny, tiny, teeny weenie Afro. The good news is I can finally do a Twistout that doesn't look all crazy.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Thanks, I have been following (light-weight stalking) your posts and it looks like you've got it down pat. My hair is shorter than yours and it shrinks like crazy...I end up with a teeny, tiny, teeny weenie Afro. The good news is I can finally do a Twistout that doesn't look all crazy.
Awwww you just made me feel special. I really want my natural hair to work.because I definitely don't want to relax ever again. I feel I'm learn something everyday about myself and my hair. I have exact opposite problem with twistouts I have not been success with one yet. I hope once my hair grows they will start to look better.

ckisland

I've been experiencing a little bit of breakage lately. I think that not leaving in enough conditioner in under the gel is the problem. I might dust off my Ecostyler to see if that'll do the trick. If that doesn't correct the issue, I'll have to rely mainly on conditioner (until I have money to try out a creme styler) as my styler with a little gel on top. I love how my hair looks so I hope I don't have to give my gel up :ohwell:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I've been experiencing a little bit of breakage lately. I think that not leaving in enough conditioner in under the gel is the problem. I might dust off my Ecostyler to see if that'll do the trick. If that doesn't correct the issue, I'll have to rely mainly on conditioner (until I have money to try out a creme styler) as my styler with a little gel on top. I love how my hair looks so I hope I don't have to give my gel up :ohwell:
sorry to hear that. I just brought some ecostyler I haven't tried it yet. You may want to try the cantu define and shine custard. It's not really a gel it's has almost a gel like consistency but it's more like snot for lack of a better description. I've purchased it from walmart and cvs. It's usually cheaper at walmart usually around $5.76 for a 12 oz jar. I pair it with cantu curl activator. Once it dries my hair very soft to the touch. I do not experience a crunch like with gel.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Really feeling my hair today lol.

Attachments

• image-3694639018.jpg
    image-3694639018.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2874093298.jpg
    image-2874093298.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 90

Joigirl

This is second day hair with Eco Styler Argan. It was still damp this morning. Everything but my crown looks okay. I don't think the crown likes Eco styler very much.

Attachments

• image-1645944319.jpg
    image-1645944319.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 116
  • image-3371636366.jpg
    image-3371636366.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 114
  • image-789784081.jpg
    image-789784081.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

bronzephoenix

Second day wng using Aussie Instant freeze :) I like it well enough, but it almost tightens my curls... Seems to cause a bit more shrinkage than my botanical gels. Anyway, I used the last of it so I'll be working with my tube of Garnier PC. I love my fsg but it's great to know I can find these while traveling or in a pinch! Sent from my
image-4045928040.jpg
iPhone using LHCF

beauti

washed my hair last night. Did a wng :look: this morning only because staying home next couple days. Will wear it in updo when I go back to work. Moisturized last night so today just spritzed with water, applied safflower oil, and eco olive oil. Will keep this until next Thursday

Attachments

• 2014-11-06 21.18.47.jpg
    2014-11-06 21.18.47.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 2014-11-06 21.21.23.jpg
    2014-11-06 21.21.23.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 2014-11-06 21.19.23.jpg
    2014-11-06 21.19.23.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 2014-11-06 21.20.03.jpg
    2014-11-06 21.20.03.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 2014-11-06 21.20.38.jpg
    2014-11-06 21.20.38.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 84

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
So I've always worn a part on my right side even when I was relaxed. A lot of my family is now saying I should try it without the part. So I've been experimenting most mornings with not doing a part, usually I've ended up putting the part in because I didn't like the way it looked. I tried it this morning and kinda liked how it looked today. With the way it was cut I have more hair on the left side and I feel it looks a little lopsided. I sent pictures to DH this morning he says he likes it (he is trying to get use to the curly hair he really wasn't feeling curly hair at first). I also sent my mom the pictures she hasn't responded yet.

Attachments

• image-2268459296.jpg
    image-2268459296.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 73
  • image-2910326226.jpg
    image-2910326226.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 68
  • image-823506124.jpg
    image-823506124.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2637247283.jpg
    image-2637247283.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Beautiful! I am too afraid to try a wash n go on days I have to go to work so I may read through this thread and try something tomorrow.
I love wash n goes. It's my primary style (actually the only one I do well) lol. You should try it and post pictures for us. How do you normally wear your hair to work.