Henna OR Protein, OR Both?

Henna vs Protein Treatments?

• Yes, I henna, but it's NOT a substitute for protein (I still love med/hardcore protein treatments)!

Votes: 85 60.3%
  • Yes, I henna & I have eliminated protein (with the exception of occasional light protein)

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • Yes, I henna because my hair Hates Protein, it's a great substitute!

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Other...(Explain Please):)

Votes: 18 12.8%

• Total voters

grow

grow when u did henna twice a week did ur texture change??

Hi bunnie82! Yes, I had noticed a texture change indeed.
Each individual hair strand got stronger, more firm and more plump.
As a matter of fact, I had stopped for a while and saw my hair get fine, limp and thin looking, so now I'm back to twice a week.

I just mix it in my dc and either sleep in it or wash it off after a few hours when I do daytime treatments.

I does a lot of powerful good for my hair so I plan to keep it now.

Hth, hhj!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I use henna and aphogee 2 min reconstructor back to back. No issues. I wouldnt mix them together though. Don't think my hair could take 3-6 hours of protein. I follow with the reconstructor for about 10 mins then rinse. I think I will need a harder protein soon, though.

LovelyDelight

grow: Is there a large selection of colors to chose from when using henna? I don't want indigo (black), but a lighter brown color. I figure, henna is probably better than going to the salon and using that chemical in my hair, plus its cheaper and I can do it myself....just trying to learn more about it.

So far, I have read, the benefits are fantastic for healthier, stronger hair.

Rozlewis

I use henna once per month but it does not replace protein treatments. I use protein treatments every other week. I only use a hard protein prior to my relaxer which is every 12 weeks.

DominicanBrazilian82

I'm sooo interested in trying henna!!! But there are so many brands, techniques and pages in other threads to get the information I need. What brand is everyone using, where are you getting it from and what are you mixing it with? Measurements if you know them would be helpful as well. TIA

iVR

I've been reading through all the Henna threads because I'm going to apply it (for the first time) after my relaxer in 2 weeks. I was just wondering, if you henna regularly do you still incorporate protein treatments into your regimens? If so, how often? If not, how often do you henna? Thanks!

Depends on if you want your henna to double as a protein treatment. By itself henna is not a protein treatment. I use my henna/cassia mix as a protein treatment, and I do it every other week for at least 2 hours sometimes over night.

Kinky4Agirl

Someone please tell me what you ladies mean by using henna for color. I've never heard of henna until this thread. Are you using it to make your black hair look better? Or are you actually using it for a hair dye?

Kinky4Agirl

I know somebody here can tell me what henna is besides a conditioner. I have looked online and I haven't found much. I want to use it to strengthen my hair but I do not want to dye my hair over and over every time I use it. Is there a henna that I can use that does not have dye in it?

veesweets

I know somebody here can tell me what henna is besides a conditioner. I have looked online and I haven't found much. I want to use it to strengthen my hair but I do not want to dye my hair over and over every time I use it. Is there a henna that I can use that does not have dye in it?

If you want the benefits of henna without the color you can try cassia obovata, different herb but similar benefits. All BAQ (body art quality) henna will color the hair a reddish hue. If you have really dark hair it may take a few applications to be visible. Henna does not come in other colors. If you see henna that says its brown, blond, etc, it has other additives. Kinky4Agirl

Kinky4Agirl

If you want the benefits of henna without the color you can try cassia obovata, different herb but similar benefits. All BAQ (body art quality) henna will color the hair a reddish hue. If you have really dark hair it may take a few applications to be visible. Henna does not come in other colors. If you see henna that says its brown, blond, etc, it has other additives. @Kinky4Agirl

Thank you veesweets, I was not sure how people were using henna every week without coloring their hair over and over. I will definently go out and get some. This is my last new item to add to my regimen... yeah right!! lol... Thanks again....

Kinky4Agirl

One more question veesweets, since henna is a natural colorant, is it ok to use the colored one (indigo) over and over? I think I read somewhere that using it every week for color is ok since it's natural.

veesweets

Some people really do use BAQ henna weekly, but it's not like using a box color. The color just gradually intensifies over a series of applications.

I have no idea about indigo (never used it). Hopefully someone can chime in and give you an answer

HanaKuroi

I use Milcreek Botanicals keratin/Giovanni Nutrafix right after I rinse my henna followed by a moisturizing dc. My hair is stronger and loves this.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Pompous Blue

Thank you @veesweets, I was not sure how people were using henna every week without coloring their hair over and over. I will definently go out and get some. This is my last new item to add to my regimen... yeah right!! lol... Thanks again....

One more question @veesweets, since henna is a natural colorant, is it ok to use the colored one (indigo) over and over? I think I read somewhere that using it every week for color is ok since it's natural.
@Kinky4Agirl
Yes, the henna will continue to color your hair red. I thought I could prevent this by applying the henna IMMEDIATELY after mixing it and sitting under the steamer for 1 hour. It still colored my hair bright red. I guess because the steam caused the dye to be released anyway.

So, to keep my hair a brunette color, I henna weekly but add 2 TBSP of indigo to every mix. Been doing this for a year or more. No adverse effects or dryness.

HTH

Kinky4Agirl

Pompous Blue, yes you have helped me tremendously. I didn't realize I had to get henna and Indigo. I thought indigo was the color of the henna. Thank you my dear sistah!!!

Kinky4Agirl

Hey ladies, If I am using henna just to condition and strengthen, can I use any shampoo I want? I want to use KeraCare. I heard that some use sulfate free shampoo.. Why is this? Thanks

Pompous Blue

Hey ladies, If I am using henna just to condition and strengthen, can I use any shampoo I want? I want to use KeraCare. I heard that some use sulfate free shampoo.. Why is this? Thanks

bumping for responses
Kinky4Agirl I've been using henna for about 3 years.

I rinse and co-wash the henna out.

3 days later I shampoo with any shampoo. It does not matter if its sulfate or sulfate free shampoo. Shampoo will not remove the henna or its effect from your hair. Using KeraCare is fine.

Henna is a wonderful way to condition and strenghten your hair but is not a substitute for protein. I do both henna and hard-core protein treatments.

Hibiscus30

Pompous Blue
How often do you henna and do hard core protein tx?

I have quite a bit of henna I want to use (up) but I've been using Komaza Protein Strengthening Cream in which my love! It's doing my hair right. But I would like to include henna back into my rotation. My hair is 4C and I have what I believe a consistent moisture/protein balance (finally)

I've used henna before but stopped to focus on protein/moisture balance...I just do not want to mess up a good thing cause what I'm song is working well...but I want to use (up) my henna

Pompous Blue

Pompous Blue
How often do you henna and do hard core protein tx?

I have quite a bit of henna I want to use (up) but I've been using Komaza Protein Strengthening Cream in which my love! It's doing my hair right. But I would like to include henna back into my rotation. My hair is 4C and I have what I believe a consistent moisture/protein balance (finally)

I've used henna before but stopped to focus on protein/moisture balance...I just do not want to mess up a good thing cause what I'm song is working well...but I want to use (up) my henna

Hibiscus30 It's easy to maintain the moisture-protein balance whether using henna or protein by being sure to DC with a very good moisture DC. I love Darcy's Pumpkin Seed DC, andy of Anita Grant Rhassoul DCs, HappyNappyHoney Pink Sugar Hibiscus DC, Phyto phytokarite masque and Phyto Jojoba DC.

Sometimes I henna every week or at least 3 times a month. I use Aphogee 2-step or Dudley DRC-28 twice a month. The trick is to be sure to use a very good moisture DC afterwards. I also steam my DCs for at least 30 minutes. Never fails. Soft, luxurious, strong hair!!!

My hair is natural, 4C, and fine. Through trial and error, I found I needed to use protein more than the average person because of how fine my hair is.

BTW, I've used henna and protein 4 days apart. I henna'ed on a Friday night and used Aphogee 2-step on a Tuesday night. No problem at all.

HTH

Hibiscus30

Pompous Blue
I love the way henna makes my hair feel. I also think that I really missed the boat with deep conditioning. But I'm doing a lot better. I know I must take time (if I want to henna and use protein) to deep condition. I have a steamer but I have not used it in a while...time to revamp...

Thanks

MsKinkycurl

I'm thinking about whether I should henna again. My moisture protein balance is good, but I miss the extra strength it gave my fine hair. The problem is I stopped because I got too lazy and I'm still feeling pretty lazy :look:

All this talk about henna is making me sleepy:sleep8:.