Henna OR Protein, OR Both?

Henna vs Protein Treatments?

• Yes, I henna, but it's NOT a substitute for protein (I still love med/hardcore protein treatments)!

Votes: 85 60.3%
  • Yes, I henna & I have eliminated protein (with the exception of occasional light protein)

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • Yes, I henna because my hair Hates Protein, it's a great substitute!

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Other...(Explain Please):)

Votes: 18 12.8%

• Total voters

nymane

I've been reading through all the Henna threads because I'm going to apply it (for the first time) after my relaxer in 2 weeks. I was just wondering, if you henna regularly do you still incorporate protein treatments into your regimens? If so, how often? If not, how often do you henna? Thanks!

ceebee3

I've done Henna and Indigo twice so far. I did it just for the color and I didn't notice any strengthening effects, so I still use my protein regularly.

morehairplease

I've been reading through all the Henna threads because I'm going to apply it (for the first time) after my relaxer in 2 weeks. I was just wondering, if you henna regularly do you still incorporate protein treatments into your regimens? If so, how often? If not, how often do you henna? Thanks!
Hi there,
I started to make this exact same thread yesterday but it slipped my mind. Thanks for starting it though. After I relax on the 17th, I plan on starting out using the Hesh powders I purchased and would love to incorporate henna into my regimen. I saw the Karishma brand of henna at a local store here for $1.79 and that is the one that I plan on using for my first henna session. Hopefully, our resident Ayurveda gurus will chime in.

nymane

"I've done Henna and Indigo twice so far. I did it just for the color and I didn't notice any strengthening effects, so I still use my protein regularly."

That's interesting...thanks! I'm doing it for the color too, but I was also hoping for some strengthening effects

baddison

natural for good
I henna regularly.....2x's per month. But henna is NOT a protien, neither is it a protein substitute. Although I am enjoying the added strength of my hair when I henna, I realize that the hair strands still need to get their "nutrition". I do mild proteins once per week. My hair is THRIVING like never before. But others may or may not have the same results. You will have to test your hair and come to your own conclusion like I have.. :)

nymane

Hi there,
I started to make this exact same thread yesterday but it slipped my mind. Thanks for starting it though. After I relax on the 17th, I plan on starting out using the Hesh powders I purchased and would love to incorporate henna into my regimen. I saw the Karishma brand of henna at a local store here for $1.79 and that is the one that I plan on using for my first henna session. Hopefully, our resident Ayurveda gurus will chime in.

Same here, I just purchased mine from Mehandi (the Punjabi Prime)...I'm excited to incorporate henna into my reggie, but it would be great if I could eliminate or use protein less frequently just to save time...I guess I'll see how my hair reacts

HERicane10

I henna weekly and sometimes follow with both my protein & moisture dc. I love henna. I use Reshma, but love Karishma too.

vkb247

I just used henna for the 5th time and I don't do protein treaments anymore. My hair hates protein products so I only ever used yogurt or eggs. But I have stopped dcing all together.

I keep my moisture and protein balanced by using conditioner, leave ins, or gels that have some protein. Much easier for me this way.

Sapphire_chic

i think henna would be a suitable replacement for protein treatments on my hair when it is fully natural but at the moment my relaxed ends are too damaged and started to break again after about 2 months of only henna. Every few weeks i add an egg to the henna and this sorts it out nicely

nymane

i think henna would be a suitable replacement for protein treatments on my hair when it is fully natural but at the moment my relaxed ends are too damaged and started to break again after about 2 months of only henna. Every few weeks i add an egg to the henna and this sorts it out nicely

Yeah I was just thinking that relaxed hair may need protein with or without henna, while natural hair could probably get away with only using henna for strength

cookie1

Today I did a wash/condition w/ the Joico k-pak (protein) and deep conditioned w/ NTM mask (moisture), afterwards, I applied cassia which I brewed like a tea and put in an applicator bottle. The cassia went on last on top of my conditioner about 10 mins before I rinsed it out. I put a towel around my hair and let it air dry. My hair is usually not so manageable unless I pull it back into a ponytail to airdry. I let i airdry w/o a ponytail and the comb went through it so well. I could tell it was much stronger also. Cassia rinses will be incorporated into my weekly washes.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Use Henna/Indigo Strictly For Color. I use Protein Weekly for Strengthening tho, in some form. i.e. MT, Co-Wash Conditioner, Daily Moisturizer etc.....

But I always keep my Moisture in Check by using Moisturizing Conditioners and products to keep that "Balance".:yep:

RosesBlack

I use henna and frequent mild protein. I usually henna on dry hair then conditioner rinse, DC and moisturize. Then I bun and go to bed.

Libra08

I do full henna treatments about once a month and egg protein treatments once a month as well. Henna does make my hair stronger, but there's nothing like an egg protein treatment!

Lita

I Use Both: Egg & Yogurt Powder or Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener. DC,DC,DC..
Henna with Brahmi,Amla & Hibiscus Powder...DC,DC,DC....

Happy Hair Growing!

Seraphina

I use henna once a month and I don't do protein treatments. But I can't really say it's a replacement because I didn't use a whole lot of proten in the first place. Just try it and see how your hair responds. Oh, and I'm natural.

Thanks for the replies...do guys henna on dry or wet/damp hair?

I henna on dry hair. It works equally well either way but I did it with damp hair the first time and the drippies drove me crazy. Had to worry about it dripping and staining stuff. Other than that, I didn't notice a difference.

nymane

I use henna once a month and I don't do protein treatments. But I can't really say it's a replacement because I didn't use a whole lot of proten in the first place. Just try it and see how your hair responds. Oh, and I'm natural.

I henna on dry hair. It works equally well either way but I did it with damp hair the first time and the drippies drove me crazy. Had to worry about it dripping and staining stuff. Other than that, I didn't notice a difference.

Thanks I definitely don't want to be dripping all over the place...dry hair it is! :yep:

AKA-Tude

I henna to color grays ( looks like highlights)

and for the strength.

My hair despises protein and gets really brittle when I use it.

I henna on dry hair.

Jetblackhair

I use henna & indigo every couple of months. I usually do this on clean damp hair.

I also use protein often and plan on stepping up my henna treatments (without indigo), because my natural hair is very fine.

It definitely needs the extra coating & strength.

spritex

I like both. Henna reduces shedding and strengthens my hair, plus I love the rich colour it imparts. I use protein maybe once a month, if that - at the moment it is MT rebuilder (used as per instructions on the bottle).
I henna every month on dry, dirty (unwashed for about a week) hair. I always follow up with a moisturizing deep treatment after.
I actually used to henna weekly to build up the effects, then moved on to every 2 weeks. Monthly suits me now.

nymane

I like both. Henna reduces shedding and strengthens my hair, plus I love the rich colour it imparts. I use protein maybe once a month, if that - at the moment it is MT rebuilder (used as per instructions on the bottle).
I henna every month on dry, dirty (unwashed for about a week) hair. I always follow up with a moisturizing deep treatment after.
I actually used to henna weekly to build up the effects, then moved on to every 2 weeks. Monthly suits me now.

That's interesting on "dirty" hair? And you still get rich color? What brand are you using? Thanks!

Muse

I just used henna for the 5th time and I don't do protein treaments anymore. My hair hates protein products so I only ever used yogurt or eggs. But I have stopped dcing all together.

I keep my moisture and protein balanced by using conditioner, leave ins, or gels that have some protein. Much easier for me this way.

Same here, I use to do Joico K pak regularly but henna gives me more strength w/o making my hair feel like a broom. I just use light protein conditioners and some leave ins.

Yeah I was just thinking that relaxed hair may need protein with or without henna, while natural hair could probably get away with only using henna for strength

Yeah I think if you are natural you will be able to get away with substituting protein for henna. What I have been doing is increasing my protein intake by drinking protein shakes and taking L-cysteine and using henna to reinforce the protein in my hair. Eliminating the need for topical protein.

nymane

Yeah I think if you are natural you will be able to get away with substituting protein for henna. What I have been doing is increasing my protein intake by drinking protein shakes and taking L-cysteine and using henna to reinforce the protein in my hair. Eliminating the need for topical protein.

I just started whey protein shakes on Tuesday :woot:

Aggie

I henna regularly.....2x's per month. But henna is NOT a protien, neither is it a protein substitute. Although I am enjoying the added strength of my hair when I henna, I realize that the hair strands still need to get their "nutrition". I do mild proteins once per week. My hair is THRIVING like never before. But others may or may not have the same results. You will have to test your hair and come to your own conclusion like I have.. :)

ITA...........

mstar

Luxury bacon
Thanks for the replies...do guys henna on dry or wet/damp hair?
I've done both, and I found that damp hair made henna MUCH easier to apply and rinse out. Adding more liquid to my henna mix also made things easier (instead of a mud-like texture, I made a smooth paste). The whole process was like 10 times easier when I made these changes.

Henna helps strengthen my hair, whereas other forms of protein have different benefits: some help my hair retain moisture, some make it silkier, shinier, more supple. So for me, henna is not a substitute for regular protein.